• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: "Vita Not Dead Yet AC:Liberation sell 600k"

Ikkarus

Most impressive.

Make the figure 600,001 though because I am going to buy it today, I've been meaning to for ages.

Shinta

Banned
Liberation might be my most regretful purchase of the year. I hated it. The combat system is so simplified. I could press attack at times and just watch her cut down 3 people in cutscenes ...

The personas were pretty terrible. So fun to dress up as a slave and carry boxes and have less armor and weapons. So fun to dress up as an aristocrat and not be able to climb or jump, but you can bribe, weeeeeee.

I wasn't into the character at all. If this is better than AC3, then AC3 must be one of the worst games ever.

The game did look good though. The gameplay just completely killed it for me, and I wasn't expecting much when I got it.

Liberation might be my most regretful purchase of the year. I hated it. The combat system is so simplified. I could press attack at times and just watch her cut down 3 people in cutscenes ...

The personas were pretty terrible. So fun to dress up as a slave and carry boxes and have less armor and weapons. So fun to dress up as an aristocrat and not be able to climb or jump, but you can bribe, weeeeeee.

I wasn't into the character at all. If this is better than AC3, then AC3 must be one of the worst games ever.

The game did look good though. The gameplay just completely killed it for me, and I wasn't expecting much when I got it.

The battle system in liberation is the SAME thing as CReed 3 + touchpad chain kills

Also the persona made sense within the story and gave you at times different way to navigate the story. Some areas are painless if you are in one persona rather than the other.
Still the assasin persona is and will be the more usefull but this was a nice way tointroduce gameplay more on par with the series.

Also in aristocrat , you can charm, it's quite useless but the hidden umbrella was actually extremly fun to use.

And Nintendo fans don't want to hear about Western third-party publishers having more success on a Sony portable platform with a fraction of the install base of the 3DS.

I'm not really getting that from this thread. In fact, I think CoD and AssCreed exist on Vita because Sony had a lot to do with it in terms of funding. Neither handheld is getting tons of Western support. And judging from several other threads, all the Nintendo fans seem to be more excited about Japanese support anyways, which there is no shortage of.

The battle system in liberation is the SAME thing as CReed 3 + touchpad chain kills

Also the persona made sense within the story and gave you at times different way to navigate the story. Some areas are painless if you are in one persona rather than the other.
Still the assasin persona is and will be the more usefull but this was a nice way tointroduce gameplay more on par with the series.

Also in aristocrat , you can charm, it's quite useless but the hidden umbrella was actually extremly fun to use.

Can you bribe people in the slave or assassin outfits? I only remember getting that option as the lady but it could have been I was just never in the right costume at the right time.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Not. At. All.

Have you played these games? They are completely built around the idea of "hey, lets just do one race," or "hey lets just do one level." They are portable games first a foremost that you can jump into for a quick play and leave feeling satisfied when you have finished a level or race or whatever.
LOL. Wonder where 50-minute Monster Hunter quests fit in with that. This argument is complete garbage. Even if it had some validity you can pause/resume games whenever you want.

Dunno what to think about these number. Considering the low userbase, it's kinda cool... but considering it was bundled... well you know what I mean.

If this first year of Vita has taught Sony anything, it's that no one wants a handheld to buy watered down handheld versions of console games. I'm hoping 2013 means some games NOT built around being a "console experience in your pocket!" That's the reason why Nintendo is so successful with their handhelds.
Why didn't locoroco or patapon outsell the PSP GTAs,Crisis Core, Kingdom hearts birth by sleep,the need for speed games, EA sport ports, midnight club etc.? Nintendo handhelds sell because of their established franchises, it has nothing to do with what you're talking about.

Maedhros

If this first year of Vita has taught Sony anything, it's that no one wants a handheld to buy watered down handheld versions of console games. I'm hoping 2013 means some games NOT built around being a "console experience in your pocket!" That's the reason why Nintendo is so successful with their handhelds.

That's bullshit. It's exactly the opposite. See PSP and it's games made specially for handhelds... Sold like shit.

Nintendo have the same franchises people have been playing for years. That's why it sells.

Ignoring the fact the number includes bundles (and that they are shipped), that is an impressive attach rate.

Sony need a whole bunch of sellers like this before PSVita is resurrected.

Kyon

Banned
The Empty shelf the pressed are still REACHING for. A damn mess. 600k is a great number GET DAT MONEY UBISOFT <3

nice sales is nice sales.

I like how you decide to say shit like 600k sales isnt going to keep vita alive which just demonstrates your lame ass agenda.

Tell ha!

Can you bribe people in the slave or assassin outfits? I only remember getting that option as the lady but it could have been I was just never in the right costume at the right time.

yes you can bribe the corrupt officials in the assasin outflit ( and steal the money back just after ;) )

I am considered a +1 for those numbers but I didn't want the game. Played it for a few and didn't like it but I got it because it was part of the bundle. Got my bundle brand new for $180 and would have gotten it regardless of what game came with it... for me that just so happened to be Liberation.

Kyon

Banned
I am considered a +1 for those numbers but I didn't want the game. Played it for a few and didn't like it but I got it because it was part of the bundle. Got my bundle brand new for $180 and would have gotten it regardless of what game came with it... for me that just so happened to be Liberation.

Poor Dat #Neaux1Curr

I've seen you post the same EXPIRED (almost always posted exactly word for word in more than one thread)PR statement about how you got said game you don't like for free with a bundle or cross buy so your purchase you made doesn't count. How cute.

Thanks for your purchase tho. Deny it all you want they still got Dat money. Developers don't give a damn if you didn't want it you still bought the bundle with said game inside. You can close your eyes so hard and wish it didnt count but it does. All I have to say about this mess.

If you had to put a bullet to a Western third-party publisher's head and order them to support one of either the WiiU, 3DS or Vita with software, I wonder which platform they would choose. Bearing in mind, of course, that COD Declassified and AC3 Liberation may well have sold through more product to retailers and digitally than any western third-party title not named Angry Birds.
That depends. Would Sony be funding, advertising and heavily bundling their games like they did AC3L and CODBOD?

Looking at US sellthrough I'd say Lego Star Wars 3 3DS also most likely outsold both Vita games, Skylanders and Lego Pirates might have as well (at least AC3L). As have multiple Japanese games in just the west (SSF4, KH3D, Sonic Gen, Mario & Sonic).

SmokyDave

That depends. Would Sony be funding, advertising and heavily bundling their games like they did AC3L and CODBOD?

Looking at US sellthrough I'd say Lego Star Wars 3 3DS also most likely outsold both Vita games, Skylanders and Lego Pirates might have as well (at least AC3L). As have multiple Japanese games in just the west (SSF4, KH3D, Sonic Gen, Mario & Sonic).

Where are you looking at this? I'd like a peek too.

Where are you looking at this? I'd like a peek too.
creamsugar's NPD leaks:

3DS SW 3rd party LTD

bird (Yes it's no.1)
ssf4
logo sw3
kh3d
sonic
mario sonic
skylanders
logo potc
re:r
asphalt
logo batman2
rayman
cars2

Vita SW LTD
Include bundle, and I have no idea which one is 1st party so I post all.

cod
u:ga
ac3
mk
nfl
umvc3
u13
mlb12
mr:rt
lbp
r:bs
fifa
gr
golf
rayman
logo batman2
nfs
mgshd
persona4
little deviants

others, not all
ngasp
pasbr
rr
lumines
ro
katamari
disgaea3
sfxtk

^^^ the lack of VLR on both systems makes me sad. People should buy this fucking game dammit.

To put things into perspective, if ACIII did 600k on WiiU, everyone would find it impressive.

Good for them but still no interest in the game honestly.

Also worth pointing out, in November NPD AC3L and CODBOD were both under 100k unbundled ltd.

To put things into perspective, if ACIII did 600k on WiiU, everyone would find it impressive.

If AC3 was a heavily advertised and bundled Wii U exclusive, it very well might have.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd call those (perhaps minus MH) handheld experiences on the console. You're certainly not playing Mario Galaxy on your 3DS, you're not getting a 'console' experience.
No, but they are more in line with the traditional Mario console experience.

There's nothing handheld about them. It just so happens that the Mario formula works well on a handheld.

^^^ the lack of VLR on both systems makes me sad. People should buy this fucking game dammit.

We would, but that doesn't put things into perspective at all honestly.
It was bundled for Vita and was the only way to get the white system.

The equivalent situation for the Wii U would have been the the system bundles with Assassin's Creed and.being the only way to get the black system.

jwhit28

Ubisoft always does a good job of supporting new consoles. Rayman was everywhere, GRAW, Rabbids, ZombiU. It's nice to see them rewarded for it.

Kyon

Banned
Ah, 'lol'. The post equivalent of a long, wet fart.

It's the same in the UK, despite the install bases being miles apart, Vita software isn't as spectacularly low as you might expect.

He run out of excuses. Poor him. LOL

now imma need P4G to sell this much fanks!

Is the game any good or is it just because it's an AC title?

Has a lot of issues.... It's an Ass Creed game with no Desmond bullshit... Take all that and make your assessment Lmfao

Ah, 'lol'. The post equivalent of a long, wet fart.

It's the same in the UK, despite the install bases being miles apart, Vita software isn't as spectacularly low as you might expect.

It's not as spectaculalrly low as you might expect, but it's not as well as you might expect too.

Derrick01

Banned
Sub par game but pretty good sales. Vita's not in a position where people can piss and moan about bad or sub par games selling well, we need anything to sell at this point :lol

Kyon

Banned
Sub par game but pretty good sales. Vita's not in a position where people can piss and moan about bad or sub par games selling well, we need anything to sell at this point :lol

This

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

jcm

Ah, yeah, I've seen those before. Cheers!

Given the disparity in install bases, the Vita's doing pretty well!

The NPD numbers don't include digital sales, which Guillemot said is 15-20% of the total sales for Vita. That's a big chunk of the market missing from the data.

Is the 600k sold to retailers, or sold to consumers?

It's physical and bundles sold to retailers (aka shipped) plus digital sold to consumers.

Is the game any good or is it just because it's an AC title?

I think it's good, and worth playing, but it's not great. I liked it better than AC3, though, which I thought was the worst AC game yet. And Aveline is the best AC main character, period.

MDSLKTR

"Vita not dead yet" Nice spin on the quote there op.

Real quote:

Regarding Vita, last FY, we did pretty well on Assassin's Creed, close to 600k units - pretty happy with figure. I wouldn't discount PSVita, right quality, it might work.

Real test will be whether Ubisoft announces another Vita exclusive of comparable scale.

Considering that Ubi is the only third party worldwide to make this kind of investment in Vita development, I'm doubtful that 600K worldwide will be enough to change anyone else's mind.

Top Bottom