• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: ZombiU Wasn't Profitable, not even close, no sequel planned

Saty

GI.biz has an article with comments from Yves and Peter Moore: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday

Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.

It was, in fact, because of that game's performance that Ubisoft decided to make Rayman Legends a multiplatform game.

For EA, at least, it's the system's lack of a rich multiplayer environment that's one of the big concerns - especially for sports titles. (That's part of the reason Madden won't appear on the system this year.)

"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."

Interfectum

Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.

wow...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
ZombiU not being "even close" to profitable is bad, bad news.

Brinbe

greaaat...
LLShC.gif

Probably the best Wii U game right now.

NewGame

Banned
It was a really fun survival horror!

I'm sure in a decade people will look back on it as the Luigi's Mansion of the WiiU.

SmokyDave

was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.
Bollocks, man :(

The game was great. Put a sequel out on consoles that people actually own and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ridley327

The previous games that ZombiU once was must not have been cheap, because as much as I like the final game, it was not the most AAA of productions.

NateDrake

Maybe if a single website reviewed the game well it would have sold. GameSpot giving it a 4 certainly did not help convince launch buyers in picking the title up.

I love Zombi U and wish a sequel comes to light one day.

rvy

Banned
"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."

The PR way of saying:

"We can't rip-off the consumer on the WiiU, so they're out of sync with the future."

Horrible news. That game was sheer genius, it was just compromised as it was rushed for launch. Most of its problems (glitches, lack of melee weapons) are easy to solve and it was ripe for a sequel to come along and take the franchise to the next level.

Hopefully somebody comes along and borrows the idea, if Ubi won't do it.

Clearly this was instrumental to Ubisoft's decision to reduce support for the Wii U platform.

ZombiU must have been a major writeoff. Those kind of losses, even if Nintendo subsidized part of development / marketing, would put off any company from supporting a platform.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
lol there were alot of people here saying that ZombieU was profitable on the WiiU and that it was a succesful game.

guess they were talking out of their ass

Top Bottom