• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: ZombiU Wasn't Profitable, not even close, no sequel planned

RMI

Banned
This is bad news, but I don't know that it's all Nintendo's fault.

Ubisoft could have made things easier on themselves by not calling the game ZombiU. I realize why they named it that, and to the informed gamer it probably doesn't make a difference, but to your average Joe-Walmart it probably sounds like a crappy piece of shovelware.

Also, despite this game having a very focal fan base and good word of mouth among gamers, it didn't really review all that great.

Still, this is bad news.

Heyt

Banned
Seems like Ubi is setting the stage for saying goodbye to WiiU after this holydays. That would be the finishing blow for a console that would only recieve games based on just Nintendo games (if Warner follows the Ubi lead).

If that ends up happening I really don't think Nintendo can put out games every single month... or that it's worth it.

It's sad, because I'm sure Nintendo will release some fantastic games that will be esentially lost on a console that neither the public or the publishers want to support.

I really hope Nintendo snaps out of it soon and creates a truely atractive console for everyone both public and developers and port their WiiU games to that...
or to consoles that have a bigger intalled base even if they are not Nintendo's. Yeah, you'll jump over me for saying this, I know. Sorry.

Not that I disagree but I also believe that they're able to come up with some sort of mechanic to keep you in the game. Would it work as well as the gamepad? Doubtful. Will we get a chance to see it in action? Outlook not so good. Regardless of how diluted the experience will be well just need more games like this on the market. It's part of the reason the PC indie scene looks better by the day.

In a perfect world, things like The Evil Within will support Vita as a second screen in an interesting way.

Kurtofan

Yes, Zombie games sell terribly on all other platforms. Also TV entertainment. Movies too. The mass market hate them. A lot. And express this by hurling money at them.

The fact that there is a shit ton of zombies related games isn't helping Zombi U at all.

There are so much a title like "Zombi U" isn't going to be noticed unless there's a mass campaign for it, what differentiates this "Zombi" games from others?

Yep dunno why they made it exclusively for the Wii U. There's two platforms that you just don't touch right now as a 3rd party... Wii U and Vita.

Yeah, because Ubi had any way of knowing how the Wii U would end up before launch...

I gotta agree with some of the points already brought up. The game had a super generic title, shovelware-calibre box art, and I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it had literally zero marketing done in the US. On top of that, it wasn't exactly a visual stunner.

It was fun though, and scary. Bummer.

As for what EA said...whatever. I have a hard time taking anything they say about Wii U seriously ever since they released Mass Effect 3 at full price weeks after the complete trilogy was released on 360.

SmokyDave

The only thing I'd miss in a multiplat version would be the voice coming through the pad. That can be solved with a headset though. I'd buy a PS3/4/V version in a heartbeat.

Jeeze I've been commenting on posts like this for months. It sparked my rant on why quoting 'that banned site' even for arguments sake is not only stupid but downright damaging due to the false sense of success it gives for releases to people who seemingly only purchase successful games. Why do I even bother.

Again, the issue here is Nintendo. They've simply not manage to get anyone intrinsically interests into what the wii u offers, outside of the 700k or so people who wanted nsmbu

Edit: no 3rd party game is anywhere near 500k ww. Okay I think I'm just done talking about it ha

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Ooof. I assume Red Steel did NOT have this problem. Interesting to find out this directly led to the Rayman decision.

Really a bummer how Nintendo cocked things up with the Wii U's launch year. Hope they can turn it around.

Akira_83

Banned
ITT: a ton of people who haven't played ZombiU critique it.

What's novel about ZombiU is that your item management is on the gamepad while the game continues on screen. The tension it creates in the space between the second screen and the TV is what makes it so immersive; you're not just flicking your eyes over to another part of the television.

i guess so

however, in my normal mode playthrough i never once was ambushed while going through my bag

not once

i dont even recall SEEING a zombie while ever rummaging through my bag

and i died like 14 times on that playthrough

although 5 were for that FUCKING STUPID GAME SHOW STYLE SURVIVAL SECTION

tino

Banned
It sounds like WiiU is failing harder than GameCube. Nintendo's home console business model is really unhealthy.

What 3rd parties does the WiiU even have left? I wonder how much longer Nintendo will support the WiiU at this rate and what kind of followup system they will release.

Dysun

I really want to see what happens when Ubisoft's title under perform this Holiday on Wii U.

If people think the Wii U is being hit hard by droughts now, it's going to be a 3rd party wasteland.

ShadyJ

Whaaaaa? Why in the world would you do that?

Because it was down to $40 new here in Australia and i KNOW im picking up a WiiU eventually so why not.

I watched a few reviews and Lets Plays and decided this would be to good to pass up.

Shiggy

With ZombiU it was creating a not particularly great title for a platform that does not only sell badly but which also does not have an audience interested in this type of games. It also wasn't helpful that they didn't make it a light-hearted Rabbids game, even Iwata and Miyamoto know that you need a well-established family-appealing franchise to sell high numbers on a Nintendo platform.

nubbe

i'm starting to doubt that wiiu will make Nintendo any money.

It is a sad state when I own more NES roms than WiiU games on a new console.

It sounds like WiiU is failing harder than GameCube. Nintendo's home console business model is really unhealthy.

it doesn't "sound like", it IS. Gamecube actually had a good first few months and then tailed off. Wii U is selling like dog shit in that same period. It's barely neck and neck with the fucking VITA in that same time period. The system is a disaster and Nintendo are delusional if they think throwing more Mario and Zelda at the problem will fix it. It didn't help Gamecube.

impact

Banned
So the only good launch title and game on the system (outside MonHun) was a failure. Can't blame third parties for ignoring the thing when the userbase is ignoring great games because they don't feature a Nintendo logo on the box. Absolutely disgusting.

At this rate I doubt both PG titles will cross 1m combined. Poor Kamiya.

Pallad1um

Ubisoft could have made things easier on themselves by not calling the game ZombiU. I realize why they named it that, and to the informed gamer it probably doesn't make a difference, but to your average Joe-Walmart it probably sounds like a crappy piece of shovelware.

Also, despite this game having a very focal fan base and good word of mouth among gamers, it didn't really review all that great.

Still, this is bad news.

This post summarizes my thoughts perfectly. The name alone is enough to repel all but the most informed buyers.

If the game ends ported, it probably won't sell that great either. Didn't the same happened this generation with some Wii games witch were later ported to PS3/360?

ec0ec0

do a better game next time ubisoft... same to ea... companies need to stop saying that are "suporting" wiiu. If all you are going to do is release rushed, cheap titles for launch...

Turrican3

So, I suspect this is true, but it's really odd to me that the biggest piece of news in the article isn't quoted or sourced at all, just stated like that.
He's also implying that the console tanked during its first holiday, which is debatable to say the least.

kswiston

well duh but you didn't specify that either :p though 1.3+ million outside of the US does seem odd, especially since wii u is doing even worse in Europe

Nintendo just reports shipments, not sales to customers. If NSMBU is at 700k in the US, and 500k in Japan, there are clearly a bunch of unsold copies floating around since EU is not going to make up the 1 million unit difference to get us to the number in Nintendo's last fiscal report.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm very sad about this. Zombi U is one of the best game I've played in the last ten years (especially uif you really like survival mechanics)

diffusionx

Gold Member
Good point. Where was the marketing for Zombi U? Ubisoft pushed AC3 at every corner, but I never saw a commercial for Zombi U. No marketing plus terrible reviews doomed the game.

No, choice of platform doomed the game.

Marketing isn't a panacea. I thought ZombiU looked awesome, not gonna buy a Wii U for it though. I'll buy it if they put it on a platform I own, though, which is everything but Wii U. Literally.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wasnt there like about 10 people who were playing Madden online on a sunday afternoon on the wii u.

I really dont understand why they are doing this.

GTAV is not launching on the Wii U and AFAIK multi home console owners are a small minority so it doesn't even matter.

OmahaG8

Hey, remember that time Ubisoft was disappointed that a game with great ideas - executed poorly, a theme totally juxtaposed to Nintendo's "theme", a name that sounds like a tech demo, sold poorly on a system that has few units out in the wild?

GetemMa

Still, this is bad news.

It has a shovelware name and hardcore, frustrating gameplay. That is such an awful mismatch and a real balls up by Ubisoft.

do a better game next time ubisoft... same to ea... companies need to stop saying that are "suporting" wiiu. If all you are going to do is release rushed, cheap titles for launch...

or just put Mario in your game, since that is all the tiny Wii U audience seems to want to buy.

It's astounding to me that people will find every excuse under the sun to blame everyone else for the Wii U's struggles except Nintendo.

Hiltz

That is sad news, but I'm surprised Ubisoft decided to commit all of its upcoming titles to Wii U when it knows in the back of its mind, that its games more than likely sell poorly on it. Then come 2014, Ubisoft will reduce its software support for the platform considerably. Nintendo will basically be butt naked in the cold without that amount of software support from any one third party company. Nintendo's got an uphill battle to keep on climbing. It won't look good if there's another big software drought next year.

Ridley327

...and give it a better online component

I'm not sure how much better you can really make the online components it already has, to be honest. The player zombies and leaderboards work just fine, and the messaging system works and is only hindered by the fact that it's too obtuse to read with the decision to strictly use symbols, many of which look very similar to one another. A co-op component wouldn't gel well with the game as is, I think.

Nintendo released expensive, last gen hardware with few 3rd party games, bad marketing and few quality 1st party titles. Thus it is failing.

I think the main reason for its failure so far is that Nintendo took the playbook from the Wii and just copied and pasted it to the WiiU. The Wii was a one-off, lightning in a bottle, zeitgeist of a success. They are trying and failed to recreate that success with WiiU and are facing the unfortunate consequences.

The game looked like it had some interesting concepts. From gameplay videos I've seen it looked like it could use a little iterating on those concepts while not under the pressure of trying to make a console launch. Very unfortunate.

gamingeek

Considering what someone else posted in this thread earlier, this seems to be a gross exaggeration.

Gross exaggeration? No. Most of the first wave of big U.S reviews were bad, Gamespot 4.5 out of 10, Game Informer 5.00, EGM 5.5, Gamesradar 3 out of 5, Machinima 6/10, IGN 6.3, Gametrailers 6.5, Edge mag 7/10. Most other reviews are in the 8s, with only a couple of 9/10s from Official Nintendo mag, Eurogamer and Joystiq. The game has a 77 sub-80/100 rating on meta which EA claims is essential for healthy sales. Gamespot, Game Informer, EGM, Gamesradar, IGN and Gametrailers are the big US sites that trashed it. You would not expect any game that reviewed like that to sell well in the U.S at least. It's nice when they do but you can't expect it to.

fart town usa

Gold Member

No.

ZombiU may have had an erratic development cycle but it's a damn good game and should be praised that against all odds, they created something unique, scary and FUN.

The websites that gave it mediocre reviews didn't understand how the game is meant to be played. It's a very deliberate game and isn't like L4D or Dead Island, games that many people compared it to. The game is essentially the original Resident Evil in first person. It's brilliant and anyone who can't figure this out is missing out on one hell of a game.

Top Bottom