• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: ZombiU Wasn't Profitable, not even close, no sequel planned

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I wonder how many launch titles of the XboxOne and Ps4 will be profitable...

How much you want to bet they won't care?

No, serious. I'll put money on them being okay losing money on their initial titles on those platforms.

Are people still salty about Ubi pulling the Wii U exclusivity for Rayman Legends? They are a goddamn business and would be betraying their shareholders for limiting a promising title as such.

Pociask

Sad news on the ZombieU front. I'd say, though, besides the terrible name and box art - how many copies of a survival horror game did you expect to sell? Isn't that a fairly dead genre? I mean, they could have made a game more like RE4 - something that Nintendo fans have a demonstrated interest in. But... they didn't. And then they pin all their future platform plans on how a game in a dead genre sells? It's strange, to say the least. If they had launched with Rayman Legends, and it had been bombed, at least it would make sense to cut off future support.

FU EA, again FU, 1000 times, what a ton of F(*&^^ BS.

What a butthurt company, wow, they just keep on bashing, we don't care EA, we don't care. Sad just sad. I passed on your NFS and all your games, I just cannot take this complete BS.

Damn, the game was fun and there was so much untapped potential left for a superior sequel. I would have loved to see more of this but I understand the decision Ubisoft made.

Krakn3Dfx

greaaat...
LLShC.gif

Probably the best Wii U game right now.

This. Man, this is a huge bummer, it has been far and away my favorite Wii U game to date.

Effect

Wanting the system to fail is just silly..

I agree it's not something you should wish for as that means people out of work. However it likely will be the only thing that forces Nintendo to really address their issues instead of them simply saying they will. Iwata has said a lot over the past few years and nothing seems to have really changed and the wrong lessons were learned.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think a lot of people would argue that when it comes to tension?

The Last of Us >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ZombieU

I think a lot of people who would argue that probably haven't played through ZombiU in it's entirety. Tension and overall gameplay are 2 different things, of course Last of Us plays better but ZombiU is balls to the walls scary/tense throughout the entire game. Besides, comparing ZombiU to Last of Us is dumb and one of the main reasons mid-tier games have died off. People can't get over themselves and enjoy a solid game for what it is. It's pathetic and downright shameful IMO.

Also, It's funny how a thread about a game selling so poorly that there's no desire for a sequel has so many people giving their opinion of the game...

Coolwhip

Banned
A more serious post.

I genuinely can't believe how moronic Nintendo is. They had seven years. Seven bloody years. Just what is wrong with them? Why try a gimmick? Why not just create a traditional console which is similar to the Xbox One in terms of power and architecture. With that kind of architecture, at least you'd ensure yourself support from third parties because you allign yourselves to their plans. That would have been a much smarter gamble than this. It's going to be relatively easy for third parties to port between those consoles, they could have easily included themselves in the picture.

Then at least you have something. You're not left out in the cold. Not only that, even with seven years, they've shown they were unprepared for HD development.

Now, it's Nintendo IP against everyone else. And I'm not sure if Nintendo has been keeping count, but the last couple times that happened, it resulted in bad news for them. Your IP aren't strong enough and a "Wii" console success is more luck than something you can strategically plan consistently. I know they want to stand out, but they managed to screw themselves over there too apparently by including the gamepad which is costing them in terms of price flexibility.

It's painful seeing this. They're buffoons after having so much opportunity and potential. It's like PS3, but even worse because no one really gives a crap.

B-b-but Nintendo fans!!

Yeah, let's see how far that gets you.

Copying the PS4 and Xbone would be equally moronic. Nintendo should have continued the direction of the Wii. A cheap console that pleases Nintendo fans and casuals.

There are already 2 (big) dogs fighting over the same bone and losing truckloads of money while doing so. Why would Nintendo join in?

RM8

Awful. It was a honest attempt to put a new, original game on WiiU's launch that isn't a bad PS360 port and then it bombs :(

Nintendo still trying to bank on the grandmas with super cheap hardware is pathetic. They're playing safe and it's killing them.

The wii success was all luck and the wii brand is dead since 2008.

People don't care because everybody remember having a wii accumulating dust with crappy third-party waggle games. It's the atari all over again.

That # is what banned charts has listed. So it's BS. Especially when Harker is saying no Wii U 3rd party title is close to 500k ww.

I'm aware that that's the number Chartz is providing. I'm just willing to give the benefit of the doubt for a moment and question whether another source that isn't that site is citing that number.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
that was the ether. scathing.

I'll still grab a wiiu once the smashiest of bros comes out.

Apdiddy

"The lack of online engagement that we see on Wii U [is troubling]," says Moore. "It's so integral to what we do. They're so small it's hardly worth running the servers. It seems like a box that's out of sync with the future of EA - which is one that gives a real social feel to our games. The Wii U feels like an offline experience right now."

It's OK Peter....it's not like the EA servers would still be up anyway.

Still, Nintendo is just idiotic in how they've handled the Wii U. I keep thinking of a great reason to get one and I can't think of anything. I want Pikmin 3 & The Wonderful 101 to do well but it feels like tide-me-over games until Nintendo finds a 'killer app' to actually get people to buy the system. As much as it pains me to say it, I wouldn't buy a Wii U for Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101 or even Bayonetta 2.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sad news on the ZombieU front. I'd say, though, besides the terrible name and box art - how many copies of a survival horror game did you expect to sell? Isn't that a fairly dead genre?
Zombie games are extremely popular right now.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh, well, I guess I'll just keep playing Monster Hunter on my Wii U because there's not a lot else that's going to be arriving on there from a third party for a long, long time. "Ever" is a long time!

Hiltz

Meh, Nintendo shouldn't care about third parties. They should care about their console and their games selling and 3rd parties didn't play a role in that for Wii outside of maybe Ubisoft with their dance game crap. Wii U has other problems, the Gamepad and Nintendo's low output are big factors.

While I generally do agree with you about Nintendo's priorities as a business, the problem is third party support is the backbone of the industry. Without it, Nintendo's consoles are left with software droughts, lacking in popular genres (like FPS and Sports), and shorter console life cycles (comparing Wii to PS2 and PS3/Xbox 360 ). Nintendo can only commit so much of its resources to annual third party publishing deals for exclusives. Even though Nintendo fans generally don't buy as many hardware third party games as Xbox and PlayStaton fans do, third party support is still necessary despite its diminished presence on Nintendo home consoles.

Jawmuncher

Wow that's pretty lame. ZombiU was the best launch game. Hell the bundle it received is why I bought a WiiU in the first place. Would've been better for them to do a port to PS3/360/PC and seeing how that goes before killing the franchise off.

While gamepad play was a noticeable feature you can have the game without it. Not to mention use it as a selling point for the WiiU or incorporate smart glass, vita second screen, etc.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I think it will have some legs... It's 30$ in the eShop!

is this current? is there an end date? I was just looking at it on Amazon, but at $30 it will more than likely be an IMMEDIATE purchase when I get my Wii U tomorrow.

Wow, straight from the horse's mouth. If he's that blunt about things then it doesn't bode well for the Wii U when it comes to future Ubisoft support.

Too bad. I haven't put as much time as I'd like into Zombi U, but from what I've played the game is pretty great. Really tense and a great atmosphere.

kuroshiki

It would have been without the Gamepad.

I really doubt that $150 price tag for gamepad is real though. It doesn't have high res capacitance screen, nor it has large battery. Nintendo is clearly trying to milk the money as much as they can, while they can.

At this point WiiU at $199 doesn't even look like a bargain.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
At this point, does anyone have any hard data on which Wii U third-party game actually turned a profit? And if so, how much?

Sad to hear this happening once again for Nintendo. It's like they can't get a break when it comes to third-party support...the curse of Square at work?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
That's bad, the game is nicely done and has one of the best uses of the Gamepad. I am part of the problem, as I tried the demo and liked the way the game is done but I am not really into the horror games.

jmls1121

Banned
Not really. These sort of things (continued success with outdated hardware and mediocre services) can influence the overall direction of the industry, so it kinda makes sense to root for stuff you don't like to fail. Plus, it's just good fun.

If you have fun rooting for the failure of a video game developer and the corresponding layoffs, then I feel sorry for you. What a depressing way to look at the world.

It's OK Peter....it's not like the EA servers would still be up anyway.

EA's servers for Burnout Revenge 360 are up after over seven years.

Is being snarky about EA the proper reaction? Their criticisms make perfect sense. If people aren't buying Wii U systems to play online sport and shooter titles, why should publishers release online sport and shooter titles for Wii U?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wow, straight from the horse's mouth. If he's that blunt about things then it doesn't bode well for the Wii U when it comes to future Ubisoft support.

They already said they are going to wait and see what numbers WiiU will pull during the holidays.

RM8

Lol at people saying WiiU is tanking because of hardware. WiiU has no games, and it's pretty much no hyperbole. It'd be tanking just as bad if it had beefier hardware -and- Nintendo would be losing more money.

Top Bottom