• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yves Guillemot: ZombiU Wasn't Profitable, not even close, no sequel planned

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Now you see why it's hard to blame them for making Rayman multi plat and adding content thus delaying the WiiU version altogether.

It's almost guaranteed to make money now or sell a hell of a lot more units than a single WiiU release.

This also speaks to the state of NIntendo in general which still makes some charming games but has lost the core and mainstream (for now).

I don't blame Ubisoft or any 3rd party for being bullish on WiiU. I know I wouldn't want my game releasing on just WiiU. Not if I want to make money.

Tripon

I agree. Both Wii U and 3DS simply show that they don't do market research and don't care about their customers' and the market's needs or interests. To change things, the inept NCL management needs replacement, which simply won't happen.
Not sure how to get people who understand the today's videogame and consumer technology industry into the management at Nintendo. Simply promoting some developer or producer won't be too helpful if they also don't know how to run a businnes successfully and efficiently.

So inept, that they already sold 30 million 3DS' and still has Pokemon and Smash 3DS to sell this year and next year respectively. And you have Adam Sessler port begging Nintendo to release their old games on iOS/Android on TekHD's Downloaded show the other day.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
I know us gamers are a positive bunch - but, the only way WiiU is going to see any sales worth mentioning, is after PS4 & Xbone units are nowhere to be found this holiday season.

When I say worth mentioning, I'm talking about sales worth bragging about. Ninny stating sales at end of Nov being anything less than 800k units.....sold not shipped....is a bust in my eyes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I was wondering how well the sales of Condemned were on the 360 versus ZombiU? Both were brand new first person horror ip appearing at new system launches.

If anything ZombiU would have the advantage because it had way less new titles to compete against compared to Condemned which went up against CoD2, Ridge Racer 6, PGR3, and Perfect Dark Zero among others.

Shiggy

So inept, that they already sold 30 million 3DS' and still has Pokemon and Smash 3DS to sell this year and next year respectively. And you have Adam Sessler port begging Nintendo to release their old games on iOS/Android on TekHD's Downloaded show the other day.

The 3DS has failed to attract any Western 3rd party support and is not close to matching the DS success despite seeing sequels in various Nintendo franchises. I'm not going to mention the Wii U, I guess that's obsolete in this case.

And who's Adam Sessler and what is TekHD? If you think that he's right, don't you agree that Nintendo's strategy of not releasing ports on these platforms is an example of bad management? I'm not exactly sure whether it would be a wise decision to release their old titles on Android/iOS, but I think the way they handle the Virtual Console could be better.

Tripon

The 3DS has failed to attract any Western 3rd party support and is not close to matching the DS success despite seeing sequels in various Nintendo franchises. I'm not going to mention the Wii U, I guess that's obsolete in this case.

And who's Adam Sessler and what is TekHD? If you think that he's right, don't you agree that Nintendo's strategy of not releasing ports on these platforms is an example of bad management? I'm not exactly sure whether it would be a wise decision to release their old titles on Android/iOS, but I think the way they handle the Virtual Console could be better.

The Wii U is struggling, no question about it. But saying that the 3DS is not close to matching the DS success is a bit of a misnomer since the DS got multiple generations of pokemon, it had over 8 years of support, and you say that the 3DS got multiple sequels, but they just really started their support in the 2nd year of the 3DS, and we're only in year 3. If we check a year from now, after Yoshi Land, Zelda, Smash, and Pokemon are out, I think we'll see the 3DS sales spring up and match up with DS sales comparably again. They also have a couple of more tricks under their sleeves like a 3DS Megaman man modeled after Megaman in Smash. (I have no idea if they would do this, just saying they should.)

And I brought up Adam Sessler because its an easy way to show that the people who constantly say that Nintendo should bring their titles to mobile are shortsighted, like you have said. And I don't think its bad management, since selling on mobile directly interferes with their ability to market and sell their handhelds. And the mobile market is comparatively small, from Jan. 2013-March 2013, the entire mobile market for video games (Android, iOS, BB, WP, etc.) was $100 million. (Nintendo as a company had $9 billion in revenue in the last fiscal year) Nothing to sneeze at, but that was the entire market, and Nintendo trying to sell $5 on the NES version of Super Mario Bros. in a crowd of free to play, pay to win, and $1 games would probably not justify the costs of getting a game like SMB to run smoothly with touch controls.

Also, just as Nintendo needs to focus on converting wii owners to Wii U owners, they also need to convert DS owners to 3DS owners. According to this chart, its the U.S. who lags behind on this.
03l.jpg

I think two games(well, three games technically) will get people converted, Pokemon X/Y, and Smash 3DS. After those games are released, I think we'll have a better picture of 3DS selling less or more than the DS.

Edit: As for western 3rd party support, they need to figure out how to make games and sell it on the 3DS. Its up to EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and who ever else want to sell on the system to figure what the 3DS consumer wants. A 3rd Party western developer can blame Nintendo all they want, but they're the ones losing on potential profit.

The answer is probably releasing smaller titles on the eShop, I just picked up gunman Clive the other day, and its a neat little title I like playing from time to time.

There's no reason for Plant vs. Zombies to not be on the eShop, and that's on EA and Popcap, not Nintendo.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The Wii U needs strong first party titles to sell hardware. It launched with just about all the gaps filled. What it lacked was a steady stream of strong software to make gamers jump in. First party software works better imho because it is exclusive. Nintendo may or may not have the games to really gets sales going over the next 6 months. It is getting many of the third party games that will be released too and even some multiplats the PS4 and X1 are not getting. It will also have third party exclusives and the games not exclusives will have exclusive features. There will be very little gaps in the lineup over the next 6 months.

Those gaps don't stay filled though. People aren't going to want to buy a console that has some rushed ports of games from 2012 in 2014 and beyond. These games just don't have legs. Tekken Tag 2, FIFA 13, Madden 13, Need For Speed MWU, Mass Effect 3, etc. don't have any pull now. They'll have even less in the years ahead and none of them are being superceded by anyone. The stock will be firesold in good time just to shift it and those genres will be unrepresented for the rest of the Wii U's life.

I was wondering how well the sales of Condemned were on the 360 versus ZombiU? Both were brand new first person horror ip appearing at new system launches.

If anything ZombiU would have the advantage because it had way less new titles to compete against compared to Condemned which went up against CoD2, Ridge Racer 6, PGR3, and Perfect Dark Zero among others.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2006/e_200603_4q_pre.pdf

Looks like 270K in the US through March 2006,

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wouldn't write the possibility of a sequel off yet. For one, the Wii U hasn't really shown us what it can do commercially. For another, ZombiU is arguably one of the best games on the system and the only one thus far to make the Gamepad a seamless, integral extension of its host game. When there are more Wii Us out there (read: after the holiday and 2014 spring onslaught), expect the ZombiU love to spread a little more and hopefully rekindle some sequel interest.

I'm not sure I agree.

You get:
- Terrible on-pad QTEs
- Terrible turret aiming sections
- RE5's live inventory on the touchpad
- One click weapon switching but no controller buttons used for weapon switching
- A scanner mode
- And then the radar which almost certainly could have been done on an on-screen minimap

I mean, absent the dumb turret aiming and QTEs the rest works solid enough, but I really don't view it as integral. In some cases it is seamless I'll grant you that.

3) Haze is an acknowledged piece of shit that led pretty directly to the company that made it getting shut down after it did not perform well enough.
No, they were still alive after Haze. It was LucasArts forcing them out of the Battlefront III contract that killed Free Radical.

Jopie

I'm not sure I agree.

You get:
- Terrible on-pad QTEs
- One click weapon switching but no controller buttons used for weapon switching
- A scanner mode
- And then the radar which almost certainly could have been done on an on-screen minimap

I mean, absent the dumb turret aiming and QTEs the rest works solid enough, but I really don't view it as integral. In some cases it is seamless I'll grant you that.

It may not be perfect, but its the only game I have that the controller feels useful.

Neff

I'm not sure I agree.

You get:
- Terrible on-pad QTEs
- A scanner mode

I think you're downplaying the overall mesh of the experience, how the tension of fumbling with a real-world virtual knapsack/GPS while perpetually vulnerable to an instant game over is incredibly conducive to a horror experience. No game has ever done it before, and no game has ever made me feel fear like ZombiU does.

Top Bottom