• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack and Wiki for $7.96 @ Toys R Us

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jive Turkey said:
Copied and pasted from the official Zack & Wiki thread:

Basically the game needed a ton of polish. Terrible waggle. Lack of options. Retarded scoring system. Any one of those problems could have been overlooked by itself but when you start adding the game's flaws up it becomes difficult to like or recommend (for me anyway). I would suggest renting it first and getting at least an hour in before even throwing down $8.

EDIT:

:( Figured as much. Thanks anyway.

Thanks. I don't understand a couple of your criticisms, though. "Bonelich: enough said" is not actually enough, and I can only assume this "HQ system" refers to some kind of headquarters.

Also, I agree with blu that it seems silly to rent a game that only costs $8.

In the end, this game doesn't sound like it's worth the trip to buy it, despite its ridiculously low price. I have better games in my backlog that I can spend time on.

Yaweee

Danthrax said:
In the end, this game doesn't sound like it's worth the trip to buy it, despite its ridiculously low price. I have better games in my backlog that I can spend time on.

It is averaging an 87 on metacritic, which is one of the higher rated Wii games unless I'm mistaken.

Gabyskra

Banned
Who the f- is saying it's not worth it for 8 dollars? Seriously, that game is awesome, stop being so close-minded you would not enjoy the best in the genre of puzzle games.

It's sad. :(

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Danthrax said:
and I can only assume this "HQ system" refers to some kind of headquarters.
HQ = HirameQ. It's the score system of the game. Depending on how well and fast you solve the puzzles, the higher will be your overall score on that stage. Also, using the in-game hints reduces your HirameQ.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
blu said:
you recommend a $5 renting of a game that costs $8?
Never heard of Gamefly I take it.

Danthrax said:
Thanks. I don't understand a couple of your criticisms, though. "Bonelich: enough said" is not actually enough, and I can only assume this "HQ system" refers to some kind of headquarters.

Also, I agree with blu that it seems silly to rent a game that only costs $8.

Sorry...Yeah as already stated the "HQ" system is your score. Completely retarded the way scores are calculated for some puzzles and to get a prefect score on several levels would require the kind of luck lottery winners would envy.

The Bonelich is a terrible Samba de Amigo-like mini game that you have to play in some levels to get 100% in treasure but as far as I've seen it is completely optional. Still my OCD kicks in if I can't get 100% on a game.

Danthrax said:
Thanks. I don't understand a couple of your criticisms, though. "Bonelich: enough said" is not actually enough

And Bonelich is basically a rhythm game character that everyone seems to have a problem with except me. Maybe it was my years of playing Samba de Amigo on DC, but it's not that big a deal. Plus I think he's completely optional.

stewacide

I don't think it was lacking anything for polish, and the motion controls worked fine for me. The problem was that you could die: kept me from finishing the game.

How many people actually beat Treasure Island?

Jive Turkey said:
It's $8.76 after tax. That's like a handful of quarters. I've bought much worse for much more. It's so cheap I really don't see how anyone can lose.

You don't like it, trade it in to Gamestop or Gamecrazy, you'll likely get more than you paid for it in credit.

Don't any of you people make impulse purchases?

kottila

Jive Turkey said:

Sorry...Yeah as already stated the "HQ" system is your score. Completely retarded the way scores are calculated for some puzzles and to get a prefect score on several levels would require the kind of luck lottery winners would envy.

The Bonelich is a terrible Samba de Amigo-like mini game that you have to play in some levels to get 100% in treasure but as far as I've seen it is completely optional. Still my OCD kicks in if I can't get 100% on a game.

The score didn't matter at all did it? I didn't pay attention to it at all.

The Bonelich was not that bad, I had fun with it. I never saw the point in getting all the treasures after completing the game anyways, they didn't do anyting? Didn't bother with the treasure map either (never understood what I needed the treasure for).

And you would actually get some very small upgrades to the flying monkey when you completed Bonelich. I think one of them made the bell a little stronger (totally useless)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jive Turkey said:

Thanks for the clarification. If the Bonelich is optional then that's not so bad. I know what you mean about OCD kicking in and needing to complete games. =P

@Yaweee: An 87 is pretty good, but I haven't really heard why this is game is so love/hate. From what I gather, people hate it because:
- The waggle is unnecessary and poorly executed
- It's hard and the character can die
- You can score more loot with a dead version of the Samba monkey, but it's optional
- The main character doesn't really go where you want him to when you "click" on a place in the world
- It's too "teh kiddie"
- Many of the puzzles are trial and error, they don't require logic

Of all those criticisms, only the first and last sound dealbreaking to me.

The reasons people like this game:

- It's an adventure game, you never see those anymore!
- It's a Capcom game, who doesn't love Capcom?
- It's a Wii game, but it isn't a minigame collection for once!
- It had terrible sales, it deserves your money and love!

And those reasons range from fairly compelling (the first couple) to fairly weak (the last couple).

I'm still on the fence. $4 per gallon is a lot to spend when driving to the mall and back.

kottila

Danthrax said:

Do you really believe that these are the reasons people like the game? None of them have anything to do with the game itself at all. Read some of the reviews. It's really good and a hoot to play with other people helping solve the puzzles.

PacoDG

I done read Resident Evil 4 is/was only $8 too.

I guess I will be making my way back to Toys R Us today.

Posting this for any GAFFers who are not CAGgers (and if you aren't, you are missing out, there is a pretty lengthy thread on a bunch of games cheap right now).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
kottila said:
Do you really believe that these are the reasons people like the game? None of them have anything to do with the game itself at all. Read some of the reviews. It's really good and a hoot to play with other people helping solve the puzzles.

Those are the only reasons I've seen people on GAF give when I've happened upon Zack & Wiki impressions. If you'd like to enlighten me, that would be great. So far, I've got from you that it's "really good" and a "hoot to play," which, while glowing testimony, could describe any number of games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Danthrax said:
From what I gather, people hate it because:
- The waggle is unnecessary and poorly executed
- It's hard and the character can die
- You can score more loot with a dead version of the Samba monkey, but it's optional
- The main character doesn't really go where you want him to when you "click" on a place in the world
- It's too "teh kiddie"
- Many of the puzzles are trial and error, they don't require logic

Of all those criticisms, only the first and last sound dealbreaking to me.
allow me (as somebody who's played the game beyond completion, since stewacide asked about who had completed it earlier):

- the waggle is not perfect, but (A) it's not that common - there are plenty of very properly executed non-waggle motions in the game - z&w is easilly the one wii game with the greatest variety of original motions, and (B) the most actual waggle you'll do is a very natural bell-ringing motion - it neither looks nor feels out of place.

- the game holds plenty of sudden deaths for the (careless) player, yes, but good news is they're all virtual - as in 'you don't really die in real life'. so no need to worry there ; )

- the bonelich is totally optional, even when you're a completionist (like me - i'm at 89% currently and counting, and the game is officially 'beaten' at 75%) - the items and powers the bonelich gives you are among the less interesting across the various collectibles of the game, at least for me.

- this is news for me. i have 40h up in this game, and _not_once_ has my character gone not where i meant it to. somebody has to show me how you manage to pull that misguided act, as i'm at a loss here.

- it's too 'teh kiddie' if you're an insecure male teenager (or an adult with teenage mentality who still lives in his parent's attic). if that's the case, stay the fuck away from z&w, as it may hurt your fragile self-esteem. badly.

- there's all in all _one_ mental puzzle in the game which is not solvable by logic. some of the action moments, OTOH, can be tricky to pull, but nothing is as taxing as some of the posters in this thread try to portray.

And those reasons range from fairly compelling (the first couple) to fairly weak (the last couple).

- it's an adventure-puzzle game, with emphasis on the puzzle/mind-bender element. that said, the game has its story and progression, so it's not a vanilla plain puzzler.

- i, for one, will fuck capcom in the ass if they contined on their present course.

- true that. then again, plenty other wii games are not mingame collections, so that's hardly a factor.

- whether you buy it now or not will unlikely show in the charts - the game in 'clearance' mode. all you'll achieve from buying it is the pleasure of playing a gem and taking a glimse in the future of adventure puzzle games.

Gabyskra

Banned
MoxManiac said:
I saw it but declined. Am I a bad person? :(
WTF...

What is it about seriously? I don't get it.

It's very polished, it's smart and it's funny. It'll last a while and it's plenty fun.

It's a bit more than a rental.

If it was 90 dollars and rare on ebay, people would kill for it!!

kottila

Danthrax said:
Those are the only reasons I've seen people on GAF give when I've happened upon Zack & Wiki impressions. If you'd like to enlighten me, that would be great. So far, I've got from you that it's "really good" and a "hoot to play," which, while glowing testimony, could describe any number of games.

- It looks great and is cellshaded
- point and click
- 24 relatively small self contained levels full of things to use and manipulate. (10-15 hours)
- Many subpuzzles within each level
- You can mostly figure out the solutions without trial and error
- Variety
1up said:
some of the more interesting levels involve finding a way around a killer robot obsessed with cleaning up footprints in the snow; exploring a haunted house full of living paintings; and briefly becoming a mad scientist of sorts.

- Boss battles!
- If you die, you have to start over again, but even though you may have used 30minutes to get to the point where you died, you will get to the same point in very short time when you know the solution to the earlier puzzles. (If you ask the woman who sells hints, she will tell you if you have done something that makes the level impossible to complete, so you won't wander around for hours without being able to complete your goal)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Thanks for the tip, GAF. I dropped by Toys R Us yesterday in person, but they were sold out. Bought it today for $15 from the website ($4+ for shipping), which is better than the $20 normal retail price.

noonche

Gabyskra said:
WTF...

What is it about seriously? I don't get it.

It's very polished, it's smart and it's funny. It'll last a while and it's plenty fun.

It's a bit more than a rental.

If it was 90 dollars and rare on ebay, people would kill for it!!

I have no intention of picking it up anymore either. The HQ thing sounds astoundingly stupid, like Layton's piccarat's but even more irritating. I've heard it's needlessly wordy; I hate that. The "lot's of dying" thing sounds horrible, especially as I've heard a number of them happen because you don't have direct control over the character. The game sounds like it could be incredibly frustrating.

alske said:
I have no intention of picking it up anymore either. The HQ thing sounds astoundingly stupid, like Layton's piccarat's but even more irritating. I've heard it's needlessly wordy; I hate that. The "lot's of dying" thing sounds horrible, especially as I've heard a number of them happen because you don't have direct control over the character. The game sounds like it could be incredibly frustrating.

EIGHT.

SEVENTY.

SIX.

Jeez, people. It got Adventure Game of the Year 2007, it has an average of >86% on Game Rankings. If HirameQs were "incredibly stupid", the game would get poor reviews. If lots of dying is horrible, the game would get poor reviews. And incredibly wordy is Final Fantasy or Xenosaga, not Zack & Wiki.

Why the Hell are people just hand-selecting what they want to read about it? "Intuitive puzzles, unique design, clever tricks, etc."? Oh no, those don't count, only "lots of deaths and assuming HirameQ is bad!"

MoxManiac

I don't know why people think others should be compelled to buy a game just because it's dirt cheap; there's a time investment too, you know. I don't know if the game is something i'd like.

noonche

A Link to the Snitch said:
EIGHT.

SEVENTY.

SIX.

Jeez, people. It got Adventure Game of the Year 2007, it has an average of >86% on Game Rankings. If HirameQs were "incredibly stupid", the game would get poor reviews. If lots of dying is horrible, the game would get poor reviews. And incredibly wordy is Final Fantasy or Xenosaga, not Zack & Wiki.

Why the Hell are people just hand-selecting what they want to read about it? "Intuitive puzzles, unique design, clever tricks, etc."? Oh no, those don't count, only "lots of deaths and assuming HirameQ is bad!"

By unique design do you mean the visuals? Cause they do nothing for me either way.

Maybe because there are specific things that I really hate in adventure/puzzle games? You haven't done much to assuage my concerns. I've heard the game is supposed to have a lot of stupid text at the beginning, and then repeats instructions to you on how to use the wii-mote over and over. Not true? Is getting a good score on a puzzle a matter of memorization? I couldn't not get maximum points on puzzles in Layton; this sounds like it would drive me crazy. Doesn't the game have a point-and-click interface? Don't you need to quickly run away from enemies? Doesn't the interface prevent that from happening? Sounds like an adventure game that has been tailor-made to enrage me.

Anyway, I posted my concerns not in an attempt to poop on your parade, but to try and elicit some comments.

alske said:
By unique design do you mean the visuals? Cause they do nothing for me either way.

Maybe because there are specific things that I really hate in adventure/puzzle games? You haven't done much to assuage my concerns. I've heard the game is supposed to have a lot of stupid text at the beginning, and then repeats instructions to you on how to use the wii-mote over and over. Not true? Is getting a good score on a puzzle a matter of memorization? I couldn't not get maximum points on puzzles in Layton; this sounds like it would drive me crazy. Doesn't the game have a point-and-click interface? Don't you need to quickly run away from enemies? Doesn't the interface prevent that from happening? Sounds like an adventure game that has been tailor-made to enrage me.

Anyway, I posted my concerns not in an attempt to poop on your parade, but to try and elicit some comments.

Most of the puzzles in the game do not require trial and error, unless it is a 9 star difficulty level or harder.

kottila

alske said:

The HQ scores are useless, they do not have anything to say on gameplay, it's just for a highscore list for each level...

It's wordy in the first 2 of 24 levels and then they shut up

You may die because you have a wrong solution to a puzzle, but it takes no time to get to the same point and point and click movement works perfectly, it never screwed me in 15 hours of gaming.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Thank you one and all for the heads up, found one at my local TRU!

I'd mention what I think of the game but am in the middle of a move.

Great price. I wulda bought it a few months ago when I needed something to tide me over till MGS4.

But I don't need it. It looks like a decent game, but there's just as many 10 dollar ps2 classics I could choose from instead.

phenotypical

Neo Member
Just got this today for $7.98 + tax. Had to dig through the bargain bin.

Pro tip: through August 17, TRU is having a 20% clearance sale on all games with prices ending in .98. You'll have to look through the prices to see which ones end in .98-- they aren't marked by signs or anything. Some are on the shelves and some are in the bargain bin. I picked up Elite Beat Agents and Beautiful Katamari for $7.98 as well.

I picked up EBA today, but since I already had Zack and Wiki, I picked up Geometry Wars Galaxies as well for $7.98 (the DS version, not the Wii one)

Note: Geometry Wars was NOT in the clearance section, but was reduced for the regular $29.99 price to this $8 price! So, if anyone was interested, just a heads up!!!

Nobodyspatzy said:
I picked up EBA today, but since I already had Zack and Wiki, I picked up Geometry Wars Galaxies as well for $7.98 (the DS version, not the Wii one)

Note: Geometry Wars was NOT in the clearance section, but was reduced for the regular $29.99 price to this $8 price! So, if anyone was interested, just a heads up!!!
The DS version has been $10 and the Wii version has been $20 for a couple months in most retailers.

oatmeal

Banned
Picked it up yesterday...

Played for 20 minutes last night...

How does the save system work? I couldn't find out where I could save...is it all auto?

oatmeal said:
How does the save system work? I couldn't find out where I could save...is it all auto?

Yeah pretty much. My memory is a little foggy, but I think it saves after every level and stuff, or if you exit to the title screen through the game's pause menu.

Gabyskra

Banned
It's not wordy! Damn people, there are a few instructions at the very beginning, the simili tutorial mission which would be close to impossible if you did not know the basics of the interface. You're pretty much on your own to figure out the uses of the objects with the wiimote, which is fun, intuitive and challenging (quite a feat!). People who are very critical of it did not stick with it for more than 5 min. I had a blast very early in the game, it's not even a matter of going through crap... It's just that some expected Gears of War, that's the only explanation I have!

Man, Zack and Wiki and Toki Tori are GEMS. It's sad to think they're overshadowed by other genres when they ARE very fun very early. Do not misunderstand me, i'm not a point and click whore, I love action games, but everyone should enjoy those.

birdchili

there are lots of games not worth buying at any price. there's no good reason to buy a bunch of plastic if it's just going to sit unloved by your console.

notwithstanding the motion controls, which i've already complained about, i really love the interface in this game - there's *one* place where the pathfinding sucks so far, but the camera options and perspective and your ability to perform interactions in any zoom mode make it just about flawless for poking about in the levels trying to figure out what's what. it's exactly the kind of interface design i'd love to see more of: obviously designed ground-up for the remote (specifically the pointer).

complaints about the scoring system are pointless because i can't imagine anyone really caring about the scoring system - this is about solving puzzles, and replayability is really low. you're working to see everything, and figure stuff out, not get points. the points aren't a well thought-out system, but it's completely extraneous to gameplay anyway.

i *am* going to drive myself insane because of my unwillingness to use the hints. was i saying this was too easy yesterday? stupid level.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I picked up this, Fear for 360, and Chocobo Tales today for a total of $25.

Definitely other worthy clearance games if you can find them. They have RE4 Wii for under $10. (Again, if you can find it. I didn't.)

Flunkie

Banned
I got this game for $17 about a month ago, and finally popped it in today. What a great game. It uses the Wiimote in an awesome way, and on top of that, it's a really fun adventure/point and click game.

Top Bottom