• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Man of Steel remains one of my favorite superhero films of all times.

The soundtrack is a masterpiece. The visual effects are incredible for a 2013 film. The action scenes amazing too.

Too bad everyone kept ridiculing the movie to death with endless Papa Kent gifs/memes.

It's bitter sweet that people are coming around to it now. Because seems like we won't ever get the MOS sequel Snyder intended to make (before he was forced to switch to copying Marvel)
The MoS hate is absurd.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is about Godzilla, but if you look at the chart you can see where ZSJL is in comparison to the other big HBO releases:

ouch. worse than Judas vs Black Panther?

I thought the numbers were roughly on par with Wonder Woman.

ManaByte

Gold Member
ouch. worse than Judas vs Black Panther?

I thought the numbers were roughly on par with Wonder Woman.

Look at the comments on that Tweet. Variety is being ripped apart. So they had to post even more clarification:
OgWOWXy.png

SlimySnake

Look at the comments on that Tweet. Variety is being ripped apart. So they had to post even more clarification:
OgWOWXy.png
Yeah, I saw that. I think their survey size is large enough. Though it doesnt line up with the other numbers. I dont care for the snydercut fans calling bullshit on everything.

LordCBH

I find it very hard to believe that ZSJL had less attention than Judas and the Black Messiah

I think it makes some sense. One is a completely new film launching day and date on HBO Max while the other is (in the eyes of a large part of the population) a re-cut of a much maligned film. Most of us here know ZSJL is a completely different film, but I guarantee you the general public thinks “recut of one I’ve watched vs a completely new film”

I'm 1 hour in and honestly feel the 4:3 aspect ratio was a huge mistake. So far I have not really seen a shot or scene where I feel like something special came from 4:3. I just hate the side bars and there is this POV warping type effect on a lot of dolly/drone work. I'm ignoring it now and just enjoying the movie but I hope it gets better than the first hour TBH. There's quite a bit of filler so far.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I'm 1 hour in and honestly feel the 4:3 aspect ratio was a huge mistake. So far I have not really seen a shot or scene where I feel like something special came from 4:3. I just hate the side bars and there is this POV warping type effect on a lot of dolly/drone work. I'm ignoring it now and just enjoying the movie but I hope it gets better than the first hour TBH. There's quite a bit of filler so far.

There is a lot of vertical movement in the action scenes and it does help with this IMO.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
OgWOWXy.png

All this rather indicates that social media greatly amplified the public’s desire for this movie. I’m pleased Snyder got to finish his film properly, but the fact the Snyder fans are still screaming and moaning is indicative that they will never be pleased, and it’s time to stop pandering to them.

99Luffy

Banned
This has been bothering me alot lately.

Doomsday>>>>Superman
But..
Wonderwoman Sword>>>>>>>>>>>Steppenwolf Axe

I guess they could say the sword is magic and the axe isnt?

zSzsrB9.gif

YQ3LYN9.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Doomsday>>>>Superman
But..

zSzsrB9.gif

YQ3LYN9.png
Superman was weak from carrying the krptonian spear.

I highly doubt doomsday would've penetrated him if he wasn't.

Hatemachine

Banned

Doomsday>>>>Superman
But..

zSzsrB9.gif

YQ3LYN9.png
Doomsday doesn't have the same body composition as Superman. He was born from Lex's blood.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah the Iceland ladies singing was probably the most "wtf" moment in the entire movie. Such a weird sequence.

I guess the point was that they revere Arthur as some kind of folk legend or something? I don't even know.

Finally finished this movie after 4 viewing sessions. I just don't like it all really. Bloated scenes, logic thrown out the window, awful choice with 4:3 and generally I feel disappointed with having paid to own it. There are some rare gems but it just falls flat on its own face. WTF was that bit at the end?

Aggelos

Hatemachine

Banned

This seems like an article written by someone with an agenda. There was nothing that came out of the call that indicated that ZSJL underperformed expectations - this is some fat chick's spin on it. In fact, ATT stock is up 5% today.

The reporting of subscribers is obfuscated by the fact them gross of the HBO subs with the HBO Max subs, since HBO is rapidly shrinking as everyone gets away from cable.

edit: She's putting on a spin in an attempt to support her earlier projections

Last edited:
I dealt as though JL was very.. dumb. I didn’t like a lot of it and would have been much shorter if everything wasn’t slow motion. Marvel just does better film making.

Aggelos

Hatemachine

Banned
I dealt as though JL was very.. dumb. I didn’t like a lot of it and would have been much shorter if everything wasn’t slow motion. Marvel just does better film making.
It's not a matter of "better or worse" filmmaking, they're completely different approaches. Disney does bland, inoffensive filmmaking aimed at as wide an audience as possible and takes very little risk. When you walk into an MCU movie, you know exactly what you're getting. Snyder's films take big risks with its characters, portraying them more violently and deconstructing aspects of their mythology. They come with subtext that often goes over the head an audience that has been conditioned to expect to be spoon fed exposition cues and not have to think about or process what they saw.

edit: She's putting on a spin in an attempt to support her earlier projections

The piracy angle is especially dumb because the movie was available on every HBO online service and partner worldwide. In my country at least, HBO cable customers have access to HBO GO for free. This was not US exclusive like Kong.

It's not a matter of "better or worse" filmmaking, they're completely different approaches. Disney does bland, inoffensive filmmaking aimed at as wide an audience as possible and takes very little risk. When you walk into an MCU movie, you know exactly what you're getting. Snyder's films take big risks with its characters, portraying them more violently and deconstructing aspects of their mythology. They come with subtext that often goes over the head an audience that has been conditioned to expect to be spoon fed exposition cues and not have to think about or process what they saw.
I feel as though JL put everything right on the table. There wasn’t much to dig into and was a very basic comic book movie. Joker was great, The Batman may also be great and I’m excited for them. But as far as Zack Snyder is concerned, I’ve seen his work before with Man of Steel as well as Batman vs Superman. All of which being lesser than your standard MCU movie or show where there is an incredible amount of story arcs weaving and world building events small and large. DC is trying their hardest, but can’t quite hit the mark.

Last edited:

The Skull

standard MCU movie or show where there is an incredible amount of story
Which marvel films would you class as having an incredible amount of story because to me they've become as cutter cookie a movie as any other.

The ones that stand out for me were the captain America films, primarily winter soldier.

Which marvel films would you class as having an incredible amount of story because to me they've become as cutter cookie a movie as any other.

The ones that stand out for me were the captain America films, primarily winter soldier.
Almost everyone of them has some sort of reference of another movie and each one has implications that affect the other movies. I didn't memorize them, I just know I get excited when it happens.

The Skull

Almost everyone of them has some sort of reference of another movie and each one has implications that affect the other movies. I didn't memorize them, I just know I get excited when it happens.
Fair play and each to their own but they became so formulaic and predictable for me.

Hatemachine

Banned
I feel as though JL put everything right on the table. There wasn’t much to dig into and was a very basic comic book movie. Joker was great, The Batman may also be great and I’m excited for them. But as far as Zack Snyder is concerned, I’ve seen his work before with Man of Steel as well as Batman vs Superman. All of which being lesser than your standard MCU movie or show where there is an incredible amount of story arcs weaving and world building events small and large. DC is trying their hardest, but can’t quite hit the mark.
ZSJL was the most accessible and "MCU movie fan friendly" of his 3 movies, which was a reflection of the studio pressure he was under after the reception to BvS. Regarding your personal opinions on Snyder flicks, we all well know at this point that Snyder's movies aren't for everyone. If Snyder doesn't resonate with you and you think Antman and the Wasp is a cinematic masterpiece, that's great, that's why it's a good thing that we have different styles of films being made. Or we used to, anyway.

Last edited:
ZSJL was the most accessible and "MCU movie fan friendly" of his 3 movies, which was a reflection of the studio pressure he was under after the reception to BvS. Regarding your personal opinions on Snyder flicks, we all well know at this point that Snyder's movies aren't for everyone. If Snyder doesn't resonate with you and you think Antman and the Wasp is a cinematic masterpiece, that's great, that's why it's a good thing that we have different styles of films being made. Or we used to, anyway.
I enjoyed Dawn of the Dead, 300, and the Watchmen, however, his DCU movies are just neat because they are always in some sort of slow motion. But the script was flat as hell, the costumes look like they're something you would find at comic-con or a Halloween store and this movie/series was straight up boring as fuck with weird timing and underwhelming plot.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I thought it was great. Snyder was able to deliver his vision on screen and managed to make the 4hrs not drag which is impressive.

His storytelling, approach to characters and visual choices won't be for everyone. Making it 4:3 and slow motion for example.

I loved it, but I am biased and was disappointed and by the 2017 version as it was not the movie I expected based off of MoS and BvS. My wife however, who much prefers Marvel, thought the 2017 version was alright and she enjoyed it.

However after watching the Snyder Cut with me she kept asking me throught the movie, "Why did they cut that?, This makes so much more sense." She loved it and said that in the 2017 version she thought Cyborg was useless and boring, and the Flash was weird and useless. After ZSJL she loved each character and was just dumbfounded that this version was not the one we got before.

SlimySnake

I loved it, but I am biased and was disappointed and by the 2017 version as it was not the movie I expected based off of MoS and BvS. My wife however, who much prefers Marvel, thought the 2017 version was alright and she enjoyed it.

However after watching the Snyder Cut with me she kept asking me throught the movie, "Why did they cut that?, This makes so much more sense." She loved it and said that in the 2017 version she thought Cyborg was useless and boring, and the Flash was weird and useless. After ZSJL she loved each character and was just dumbfounded that this version was not the one we got before.
This post is a bit old, but figured i'd reply.

Whedon was brought in to cut the movie down to 2 hours which is what that Hamada guy wanted. But before that, he was brought in to rewrite the script to add new scenes with comic relief. All of which would be reshoots. So he was just doing his job. The idiot just didnt realize that there was no need for reshoots. That the script was fine as is when it came to humor. And Zack knew what he was doing. Shouldve bailed immediately instead of throwing a fellow director under the buss, but he wanted his batgirl movie made so he went ahead with it.

What made things worse was that Snyder quit instead of fighting over the reshoots and rewrites, and that gave Whedon complete freedom to rewrite the opening and the ending. If Snyder had stuck around, you wouldve gotten a 2 hour cut of mostly his footage.

Aggelos

So guys what do you reckon?
Everybody's gonna go crazy with Zack Snyder's Director's Cut versions after Justice League?
Will everybody jump on the bandwagon to campaign for the release of more Director's Cut versions from that Zack Snyder chap?

"Snyder revealed during his push to release his director's cut of Justice League in 2019 that the Extended Cut of Sucker Punch isn't his desired version of the film with the director of photography Larry Fong elaborating on Snyder's claims and asking fans to campaign for it. Snyder explained in 2020 that current licencing deals of the film to TV and streaming services prohibit the release of an alternative version of the film. He would only be able to release a new cut after the current licencing expires. Snyder continued to promote a possible director's cut as of 2021 stating to Variety "there is a director’s cut of that movie that has yet to be released. I’ll say that out loud". Sucker Punch stars Jena Malone and Abbie Cornish echoed Snyder's wish to release his original cut."

Last edited:
Top Bottom