• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love how he shot Wonder Woman scenes. She's basically Batman Arkham on steroids.

K4Bkp2j.gif

The fact that shes blocking bullets while throwing fools all over the place is such a neat little detail.

Why Whedon left this out is beyond me.

Last edited:

Corpsepyre

Banned
It''s the best track in the OST and the best scene in the movie. I love that they both kept the best for the last here.

I also like the Rock medley when Batman fights the parademons for the first time. I believe it also plays when they first assemble.

The rest of the soundtrack isnt as good as it shouldve been. Man Of Steel was THE best soundtrack ive heard in a comic book movie and even Hans hasnt been able to top it since.

I quite like a number of other themes as well, especially the new Batman suite, the re-worked Flight theme from MoS, JL Foundation theme and the suite that plays during the History Lesson.

But yes, OST could have used some more variation and added instrumentation. Guess working on this alone for 7 months, locked up in a room, one would expect something limited. He did a fine job given the circumstances though. imo.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I love how he shot Wonder Woman scenes. She's basically Batman Arkham on steroids.

K4Bkp2j.gif

The fact that shes blocking bullets while throwing fools all over the place is such a neat little detail.

Why Whedon left this out is beyond me.
WB prob forced him to do so as they want it to be a 2+ hours movie

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
After the IMAX focused framing adjustment (4:3) that felt a bit odd, I have to say I am enjoying this version more than the original one (splitting in more than one viewing, so I have yet to finish it on NOW TV free weekly intro period, but I have pre-ordered the UHD Blu-Ray from WB Store of this edition).

"What the fuck was Whedon thinking" is probably on everyone's mind after seeing the Snyder Cut.
/shrug
He may be a piece of shit human, but he was just doing his job. He was hired to add stupid campy jokes and moments like in the Avengers movies while also cutting 4 hours of footage down to 2 and he did exactly that. The fault lies with WB brass for making bone-headed decisions, which is still going on TO THIS DAY lol

sol_bad

/shrug
He may be a piece of shit human, but he was just doing his job. He was hired to add stupid campy jokes and moments like in the Avengers movies while also cutting 4 hours of footage down to 2 and he did exactly that. The fault lies with WB brass for making bone-headed decisions, which is still going on TO THIS DAY lol

And the weird thing is is that these bone headed decisions generally only crop up when it comes to their DC properties. Majority of their other films don't have behind the scenes drama and they let the creatives do what they want to do. I don't understand why it is so hard for them to allow the same for the DC movies.

SlimySnake

/shrug
I am not absolving WB execs of blame, but Whedon didnt just do his job, he did a bad job.

I understand that he had to cut the movie down to 2 hours. Ok fine. But he shot MORE stuff and shoehorned it in place of awesome shots like the one giffed above.

For example, the Darkseid vs old gods scene is around the same length of time. But its got almost 2 minutes of extra footage of Bruce and Diana walking around and talking for some reason. Whereas, Snyder just does a voice over and takes the time to set up the scene. You get to appreciate some action scenes instead of them just being cut into a montage.

vs this

The scene where they decide to bring superman back to life is also so much better in the new version. They discuss what the mother boxes can do and then without anyone saying it, all decide to bring him back. Cyborg makes an awesome looking hologram, the man of steel theme plays and you get an awesome shot of Bruce Wayne looking at Superman soaring. Whedon added a bunch of nonsense with Diana shoving and punching Bruce. Same runtime. Different scenes shot poorly. This is true for pretty much all of the movie. No idea why so much of the movie had to be reshot.

Just watched it last night. It was ok. I'm not sure if it was discussed in this thread yet or not but Darkseid "forgetting" the location of the mother boxes/anti-life equation seems like terrible storytelling. The film is 4 hours long so I may have missed it but the only line I remember as an explanation was that its location was forgotten among a trillion worlds or whatever. It can't be that dumb right?

EDIT: Snyder answered this question on Twitter stating Darkseid almost died when he returned home, there was a struggle for power and much time passed before he was in power again and by then all who had been with him had been slain.

So yeah, apparently it is that dumb. Gotta say, the entire plot falls apart for me based on that premise....still an ok movie though and glad I've seen it.

Last edited:

finowns

Just watched it last night. It was ok. I'm not sure if it was discussed in this thread yet or not but Darkseid "forgetting" the location of the mother boxes/anti-life equation seems like terrible storytelling. The film is 4 hours long so I may have missed it but the only line I remember as an explanation was that its location was forgotten among a trillion worlds or whatever. It can't be that dumb right?

EDIT: Snyder answered this question on Twitter stating Darkseid almost died when he returned home, there was a struggle for power and much time passed before he was in power again and by then all who had been with him had been slain.

So yeah, apparently it is that dumb. Gotta say, the entire plot falls apart for me based on that premise....still an ok movie though and glad I've seen it.
Why would he know the physical location of Earth? Doesn’t he travel to planets like a summoned demon?

Ulysses 31

Or just teleport themselves to the next world.
Who says they can teleport big armies around without the mother boxes in the Snyderverse?

If they could do that then that makes Darkseid's forces look more incompetent.

They're going to use the "old ways" to get to earth now so this seems to suggest to me that they can't invade via teleportations anymore.

finowns

Who says they can teleport big armies around without the mother boxes in the Snyderverse?

If they could do that then that makes Darkseid's forces look more incompetent.

They're going to use the "old ways" to get to earth now so this seems to suggest to me that they can't invade via teleportations anymore.
I’m talking about the mother boxes themselves obviously.

The actual point being Darkseid not knowing the location of Earth isn’t unbelievable.

Ulysses 31

The actual point being Darkseid not knowing the location of Earth isn’t unbelievable.
How so? He obviously made it back to his base/planet so that route that took him back, you saying all his troops forgot and all navigation system didn't keep records of it?

pel1300

It''s the best track in the OST and the best scene in the movie. I love that they both kept the best for the last here.

I also like the Rock medley when Batman fights the parademons for the first time. I believe it also plays when they first assemble.

The rest of the soundtrack isnt as good as it shouldve been. Man Of Steel was THE best soundtrack ive heard in a comic book movie and even Hans hasnt been able to top it since.
I remember hearing the MoS score in bits and pieces here on neogaf a few days before release in 2013. I thought holyshit this is epic - reminds me of my childhood entertainment - Final Fantasy, Reeves Superman, Highlander, Chrono Trigger, etc.

I suppose it's believable, I just think it's a terrible plot contrivance and the entire premise of the film relies on it. Darkseid's contribution to the story involves getting beat up, losing his valuables and not remembering where it happened.......how is that good storytelling? He is supposed to be fearsome but this undermines his character to come across as incompetent and weak. It's a good thing they're scrapping this universe because the main villain is already a joke.

finowns

I suppose it's believable, I just think it's a terrible plot contrivance and the entire premise of the film relies on it. Darkseid's contribution to the story involves getting beat up, losing his valuables and not remembering where it happened.......how is that good storytelling? He is supposed to be fearsome but this undermines his character to come across as incompetent and weak. It's a good thing they're scrapping this universe because the main villain is already a joke.
I don’t think there is enough concrete facts given in the movie to consider his lack of knowledge a plot hole. So its not really a problem for me I think it could be explained away fairly easily.

Hatemachine

Banned

Is Sauron incompetent and weak?

pramod

Banned
Some of the early parts were hard to sit through, but man the final battle was SOOO much better than the incoherent crap Whedon threw together.

sol_bad

I am not absolving WB execs of blame, but Whedon didnt just do his job, he did a bad job.

I understand that he had to cut the movie down to 2 hours. Ok fine. But he shot MORE stuff and shoehorned it in place of awesome shots like the one giffed above.

For example, the Darkseid vs old gods scene is around the same length of time. But its got almost 2 minutes of extra footage of Bruce and Diana walking around and talking for some reason. Whereas, Snyder just does a voice over and takes the time to set up the scene. You get to appreciate some action scenes instead of them just being cut into a montage.

vs this

The scene where they decide to bring superman back to life is also so much better in the new version. They discuss what the mother boxes can do and then without anyone saying it, all decide to bring him back. Cyborg makes an awesome looking hologram, the man of steel theme plays and you get an awesome shot of Bruce Wayne looking at Superman soaring. Whedon added a bunch of nonsense with Diana shoving and punching Bruce. Same runtime. Different scenes shot poorly. This is true for pretty much all of the movie. No idea why so much of the movie had to be reshot.

I'd still personally blame it all on WB. IMO Joss Whedon can make a good film, I think both Avengers 1 and 2 are really good. The only crap thing about Avengers 2 is Thor going to that water place to get visions but that scene was mandated by the higher ups, probably higher up than Kevin Feige.

The Steppenwolf/Darkseid versus the old Gods scene is amazing. But they probably truncated that scene as the funding that was required to finish the longer scene went towards the reshoots mandated by the studio. Scenes were re-shot based on tone, a tone mandated (again) by the studio.

Regarding the scene where they decide to revive Superman and they play the theme from Man of Steel, the whole soundtrack changed from Junklie XL to Danny Elfman. Now we don't know about any of the contractual obligations concerning the music but they obviously couldn't or chose not to use any of Hans Zimmers music from Man of Steel and without his music that scene would not have had the same impact. WB wanted to spend X amount of money on music and they didn't want to pay extra for Hans Zimmer.
Again, who knows what the fuck WB were thinking in regards to anything for this movie.

At the end of the day, WB really fucked up Joss Whedon's career even before these allegations came out about him. Joss Whedon can only blame himself for making that decision though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'd still personally blame it all on WB. IMO Joss Whedon can make a good film, I think both Avengers 1 and 2 are really good. The only crap thing about Avengers 2 is Thor going to that water place to get visions but that scene was mandated by the higher ups, probably higher up than Kevin Feige.

The Steppenwolf/Darkseid versus the old Gods scene is amazing. But they probably truncated that scene as the funding that was required to finish the longer scene went towards the reshoots mandated by the studio. Scenes were re-shot based on tone, a tone mandated (again) by the studio.

Regarding the scene where they decide to revive Superman and they play the theme from Man of Steel, the whole soundtrack changed from Junklie XL to Danny Elfman. Now we don't know about any of the contractual obligations concerning the music but they obviously couldn't or chose not to use any of Hans Zimmers music from Man of Steel and without his music that scene would not have had the same impact. WB wanted to spend X amount of money on music and they didn't want to pay extra for Hans Zimmer.
Again, who knows what the fuck WB were thinking in regards to anything for this movie.

At the end of the day, WB really fucked up Joss Whedon's career even before these allegations came out about him. Joss Whedon can only blame himself for making that decision though.

It was 100% WB. The people in charge of WB at the time (WHO HAVE BEEN LONG GONE FOR A WHILE) did even worse to The Hobbit movies; forcing it to be a trilogy, creating a made up Elf just so there could be an Aragorn/Arwen love story in the movies, etc. THEY NEARLY KILLED PETER JACKSON (he developed a perforated ulcer while making the third movie and was hospitalized!).

sol_bad

It was 100% WB. The people in charge of WB at the time (WHO HAVE BEEN LONG GONE FOR A WHILE) did even worse to The Hobbit movies; forcing it to be a trilogy, creating a made up Elf just so there could be an Aragorn/Arwen love story in the movies, etc. THEY NEARLY KILLED PETER JACKSON (he developed a perforated ulcer while making the third movie and was hospitalized!).

Good point, another instance of them screwing things up badly.
And again, just like Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson only has himself to blame for accepting the horrible job. When Del Toro walked away from the project, that should have been a good indication that something wasn't right.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Good point, another instance of them screwing things up badly.
And again, just like Joss Whedon, Peter Jackson only has himself to blame for accepting the horrible job. When Del Toro walked away from the project, that should have been a good indication that something wasn't right.

The two movie version was fine. If you want to know what that was like play LEGO The Hobbit; that's based on the two-movie version. And some of Del Toro's ideas wouldn't have meshed with Jackson's LOTR, so I was fine with him doing it.

But saying it was his fault for accepting it, they didn't make it a trilogy until the movies were in production. They started making the two movie version, but then WB stepped in and made him turn it into a trilogy.

sol_bad

The two movie version was fine. If you want to know what that was like play LEGO The Hobbit; that's based on the two-movie version. And some of Del Toro's ideas wouldn't have meshed with Jackson's LOTR, so I was fine with him doing it.

But saying it was his fault for accepting it, they didn't make it a trilogy until the movies were in production. They started making the two movie version, but then WB stepped in and made him turn it into a trilogy.

I wasn't aware of that, I thought it was decided before shooting begun. That's even more insane that they made that type of decision after shooting began.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I wasn't aware of that, I thought it was decided before shooting begun. That's even more insane that they made that type of decision after shooting began.

No there was a lot of drama about it because the cast was in New Zealand and suddenly they had to modify contracts and such for a third movie.

SlimySnake

The behind the scenes show that splitting it into three movies might have actually saved Peter Jackson from a full blown nervous breakdown. He was behind on schedule and winging it. If he had to shoot the whole last battle, it wouldve been the end of him.

Sending the crew back home was actually a good thing for peter. It let him get a break and rethink the entire final battle.

sol_bad

The behind the scenes show that splitting it into three movies might have actually saved Peter Jackson from a full blown nervous breakdown. He was behind on schedule and winging it. If he had to shoot the whole last battle, it wouldve been the end of him.

Sending the crew back home was actually a good thing for peter. It let him get a break and rethink the entire final battle.

Guess I can't comment on that, sounds like it was poorly managed from the get go.

Is Sauron incompetent and weak?

I haven't read the books, so in the LOTR movies Sauron didn't feel like a classic "villain" to me. He was a plot device to personify evil in general - the struggle of our heroes was good vs evil, light vs darkness. Our main characters fought these battles both internally and externally throughout the films. Sauron wasn't really a character on screen - more of an abstract evil instead of a physical presence so I can't really compare the two.

I think the better comparison would be how Marvel portrayed Thanos vs this movie and Darkseid. I like DC more so I'm just disappointed I guess.

Hatemachine

Banned
I haven't read the books, so in the LOTR movies Sauron didn't feel like a classic "villain" to me. He was a plot device to personify evil in general - the struggle of our heroes was good vs evil, light vs darkness. Our main characters fought these battles both internally and externally throughout the films. Sauron wasn't really a character on screen - more of an abstract evil instead of a physical presence so I can't really compare the two.

I think the better comparison would be how Marvel portrayed Thanos vs this movie and Darkseid. I like DC more so I'm just disappointed I guess.
The Darkseid in the flashback is baby Darkseid who hasn't yet acquired the Omega Force. It's a silly thing to get hung up on.

SlimySnake

Marvel didnt give Thanos any real screentime until the 3rd avengers movie. This is the first Justice League movie. They are just setting up Darkseid as the main baddie here. Thanos in the first two Avengers movies was relegated to an after credits scene. he will have a bigger roll in the second JL movie but hes not the main villain from what ive seen Snyder discuss. Darkseid will be the big baddie in the third movie if they ever make it.

I thought they did a great job inserting him in the flashback and his presence was felt through out the movie. he's no Thanos in Infinity War but hes not meant to be just yet. Most of the Avengers didnt even know about Thanos until the 3rd Avenger movie. Only the Guardians did and thats only because of Gamorah. Here everyone knows the stakes from the get go.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Mauler has some pretty solid analysis videos, but he's losing me the moment he's complaining there's no rational explanation behind the workings of the motherboxes or the anti-life equation.

It's comics, bro. Come on now. Reminds me of this classic:

uLb6mTV.png
I thought the same.

He's great when it comes down to breaking down a story and how a film should play out.
However with cape shit, you have to give it some wiggle room. It's space magic. You can only break it down to a small level point before it falls apart.

I remember when he did the Mandalorian review and he got very hung up on the bounty puck things. He was completely right on what he was saying about them but again, space magic.

SlimySnake

I thought the same.

He's great when it comes down to breaking down a story and how a film should play out.
However with cape shit, you have to give it some wiggle room. It's space magic. You can only break it down to a small level point before it falls apart.

I remember when he did the Mandalorian review and he got very hung up on the bounty puck things. He was completely right on what he was saying about them but again, space magic.
at least hes not arguing about Superman beating up Steppenwolf like era has been doing for a week. Or Wonder woman killing roose bolton after he literally just tried to brutally shoot and kill a bunch of school girls.

I love how DC is held to a different standard. Superman killing Zod was bad. Now Superman "hurting" steppenwolf, a genocidal maniac, is too much. It would be hilarious if it wasnt so fucking dumb.

lifa-cobex

at least hes not arguing about Superman beating up Steppenwolf like era has been doing for a week. Or Wonder woman killing roose bolton after he literally just tried to brutally shoot and kill a bunch of school girls.

I love how DC is held to a different standard. Superman killing Zod was bad. Now Superman "hurting" steppenwolf, a genocidal maniac, is too much. It would be hilarious if it wasnt so fucking dumb.
What's Era been saying about Superman beating up Steppemwolf? It seemed to fit the profile of how snyder has been doing his cape films.

I am of the opinion that Batman should carry a gun at all times in his films. It's not like he's holding back in any real way in the Snyder verse and it would probably do him more favors.

Last edited:

trikster40

Man, rewatched Man of Steel today. This JL really makes MoS shine, the nods in JL back to MoS. I really enjoyed Snyder’s universe when they let him just make his movies instead of cutting and editing them to crap.

99Luffy

Banned
I wish they had kept the dr. manhatten style death from the teaser. I know it wasnt as realistic but it looked so epic.

pel1300

Man, rewatched Man of Steel today. This JL really makes MoS shine, the nods in JL back to MoS. I really enjoyed Snyder’s universe when they let him just make his movies instead of cutting and editing them to crap.
Man of Steel remains one of my favorite superhero films of all times.

The soundtrack is a masterpiece. The visual effects are incredible for a 2013 film. The action scenes amazing too.

Too bad everyone kept ridiculing the movie to death with endless Papa Kent gifs/memes.

It's bitter sweet that people are coming around to it now. Because seems like we won't ever get the MOS sequel Snyder intended to make (before he was forced to switch to copying Marvel)

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is about Godzilla, but if you look at the chart you can see where ZSJL is in comparison to the other big HBO releases:

Top Bottom