• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

jb1234

You should try Hero Mode asap, 4x damage means for the first half of the game you will die at 1 or 2 hits. So good that made me play the game again and got 100% on that savefile

I'm thinking about it, especially since I didn't bother getting most of the collectibles.

Joei

Recently got a N3DS and started playing this recently. For some reason it's taking me longer than most it seems, I've played about 16 or so hours I think and I still have 3 dungeons left I think, does not feel that I've played that long at all though. I really like to take my time I guess, plus I wandered around the world when I first got it, spent extra time doing nothing. That said, the game is ridiculously good. I love the items and I love the dungeons I've played. They are a bit easy I guess and on the shorter side, but all have been really fun with cool bosses. I like the way they use the wall merge in the dungeons and the way it adds to the puzzles. The re-imagining of LTTP is fantastic. The NPCs are great. I'm sure I could go on and on. Even before beating this game, I'm going to have to say it's easily one of my favorites with probably my favorite overworld. I'm wondering what/if they're going to take any ideas from here and put them in Zelda Wii U. The item rental thing is great and while you don't get items per se in the dungeon, it's not like they don't have anything to collect and use for upgrading Link. I really hope they use that feature in the next one.

EDIT - Oh, that item meter is f'n genius. I'm actually using bombs, arrows, and pretty much most of the items regularly.

n64coder

For some reason it's taking me longer than most it seems, I've played about 16 or so hours I think and I still have 3 dungeons left I think, does not feel that I've played that long at all though. I really like to take my time I guess, plus I wandered around the world when I first got it, spent extra time doing nothing.

Same here when I played it. I just looked at the activity meter for the game and I spent a total of 45 hours. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're enjoying the game. I collected all of the items and did a bunch of the streetpass battles.

I think there are some people who have the mentality of wanting to get through the game as quick as possible to say that they beat it. Big deal.

tauroxd

I finished the game last night... It was an amazing and awesome game, what a great exerience.

Didn't get the
red mail
... I will probably play
the last dungeon
again to get it.

LOL at this little boss fight. All I did was stand on this ledge and chuck bombs until it died.
m6Dpt4h.jpg

Anyway finished the game and absolutely loved it. Didn't want it to end so I collected everything there was I could find. Hoping and praying they give this treatment to Link's Awakening.

Volotaire

I'm going to start the game for the first time soon and I've had this question for months. Is there a possible way to start the game for the first time on Hero mode by transferring a save file or another method?

maxcriden

I'm going to start the game for the first time soon and I've had this question for months. Is there a possible way to start the game for the first time on Hero mode by transferring a save file or another method?

Doing a bit of cursory research on this for you and not finding any answers, unfortunately. Off the top of my head the best bet would be to borrow/buy a copy of the game that has Hero Mode unlocked. I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of transferring save files, but I'd thought digital copy save files were linked to the specific systems. At the very least digital copies of games are, I think, so I'm assuming the same goes for save files. The fact that GameFAQS doesn't have any saves for the game doesn't fill me with hope either.

Volotaire

Doing a bit of cursory research on this for you and not finding any answers, unfortunately. Off the top of my head the best bet would be to borrow/buy a copy of the game that has Hero Mode unlocked. I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of transferring save files, but I'd thought digital copy save files were linked to the specific systems. At the very least digital copies of games are, I think, so I'm assuming the same goes for save files. The fact that GameFAQS doesn't have any saves for the game doesn't fill me with hope either.

Thanks for the help max. I've just gone ahead and started a new save file instead. First impressions: fantastic.

I have not headed into Hyrule Castle yet and have been wandering about the map and bumping into enemies for just over an hour. Why? This games rewards exploration that I have long been craving in The Legend of Zelda series. The map and beacon system, borrowed and evolved from the DS games, helps easy exploration and highlighting. I've already exhausted all my beacons from points of interest I have found. Although, I wish there was a system for note taking or more coloured beacons and more beacons.

I'm impressed by the amount of freedom the game provides you. I have already found one piece of heart, used a cuckoo to head down a hole in Kakariko Village and fought off snakes with pots in the cave to gain the piece of heart. I've also fought off other enemies such as ChuChu and Crows in the Woods of Mystery area. I found two great fairies (are they great?) and a few save system beacons too. I've come across other enemies such as Armos and Zoras which I cannot fight yet near the Eastern Temple and the bottom right area of the map.

There is one minor point I dislike, given that I love freedom (moreso than other players). This was the restriction to follow Gulley to the Blacksmith. I wish they allowed a free roam option right from the get go. However, this is a minor point.

I love the depth in the game with the 3D enabled. I think I will be playing the whole game with it on (I was intending to anyway due to it being named as one of the few 3DS games that benefits when playing in 3D).

Volotaire

Ok, so I thought of this. The ALBW save data is saved to the system/SD card. Therefore, other players have the save game data file that they could copy across and transfer to a PC.

However, there comes another issue. What is the legality surrounding this? Is this a parallel to copying/sharing a ROM that you did not dump/backup yourself?

EDIT: Oh so saved games data is saved to the cartridge. According to this tool you can transfer saved game data to backup your own to transfer from retail to digital.

Apparently from nintendo's website in an update in 2013:

• A tool that allows Nintendo 3DS users to transfer save data from the packaged version of a game to the downloadable version. Players that originally purchased a physical version of a game will be able to pick up right where they left off with their save data if they decide to purchase the digital version of the same game. Save data that is transferred to a digital game cannot be moved back to the physical version.

But I wonder if you can transfer cart to cart. And again, the legality of it.

maxcriden

Ok, so I thought of this. The ALBW save data is saved to the system/SD card. Therefore, other players have the save game data file that they could copy across and transfer to a PC.

However, there comes another issue. What is the legality surrounding this? Is this a parallel to copying/sharing a ROM that you did not dump/backup yourself?

EDIT: Oh so saved games data is saved to the cartridge. According to this tool you can transfer saved game data to backup your own to transfer from retail to digital.

Apparently from nintendo's website in an update in 2013:

But I wonder if you can transfer cart to cart. And again, the legality of it.

First, very glad you're enjoying the game. How far in are you at this point? :)

As to the legality, I don't think there is any major concern regarding save files in and of themselves but I'm far from informed about this. I will say that although cart --> digital is possible, I haven't heard of any way to reliably do a cart --> cart save.

Volotaire

First, very glad you're enjoying the game. How far in are you at this point? :)

As to the legality, I don't think there is any major concern regarding save files in and of themselves but I'm far from informed about this. I will say that although cart --> digital is possible, I haven't heard of any way to reliably do a cart --> cart save.

I just got a little further and have talked to Sahasrahla. I think i'll try to tackle the Eastern temple tonight.

I think I'm going to finally abandon the dream of hero mode haha.

maxcriden

I just got a little further and have talked to Sahasrahla. I think i'll try to tackle the Eastern temple tonight.

I think I'm going to finally abandon the dream of hero mode haha.

Yeah, you might want to at this point. If it makes you feel better, if you want to create a real challenge for yourself just use a certain item for a certain sidequest later in the game. That will be plenty impossible in my experience. More details when you're much further in the game. ;)

Enjoy the game, man, and please continue to post your impressions!

I just replayed A Link Between Worlds for the second time. It's definitely up there as one of my favorite 3DS games. I recently bought NES Remix and played the original Legend of Zelda on that, then decided to get it on the VC, and enjoyed (the NES game), so decided to replay ALBW. They actually have somewhat similar structure and feel, and some familiar weapons, enemies, and themes.

Since it wasn't my very first time playing it, I remembered some things about it, but I still got stuck a few times... Once because I thought I needed a mask to enter the Thieve's Den since a nearby NPC said, "Don the mask!" so I was looking all over for it until I finally found that I could just go up to the door and press A to enter the dungeon.

Also, I didn't have the big glove for a long time and I thought I might find it in the Ice ruins, so I kept trying to explore the dungeon and find a switch or a torch that would reveal the chest. It turns out there was a chest hidden under the floor and it was only a golden rupee. Overall exploration in this game is generally rewarded. I don't think I would have found the last bottle I was missing without looking it up, since
it didn't really look like you could swim under the bridge and I probably wouldn't have tried it.

I checked my save file and the first time I played, I didn't even buy all the weapons -- I must have just rented them. I also didn't upgrade anything in the Maiamai cave. This time I started that side quest early and found about 87 out of 100 of them. Upgrade "Nice" versions of the items are quite useful, especially the bow. I got all but the very last heart container since I'm missing 2 or 3 pieces of hearts.

I want to try Hero mode since I like this game and it could use some extra challenge, but if it's really a whopping 4x damage that you take, that might be a bit extreme, since I do tend to take random hits... and shield isn't automatically used, you have to hold R to block. I guess I'll give it a try though.

The mini games in this game are all quite well done. I enjoyed doing them, and got all the heart pieces from winning them. The rewards for beating the treacherous tower are kind of pathetic though, I mean, upgraded net and lamp? I haven't done that yet, but at least finishing the Maiamai quest gives you an upgraded spin attack.

I also started Phantom Hourglass and got about halfway through that, but I haven't played it for a few days. I bought Ocarina of Time on the eShop but I'm not very far in it yet (I had it back on N64). I also have a Link's Awakening GB cartridge (not the DX version), and I want to play that since I've heard nothing but good things about it. Playing the original NES game and replaying A Link Between Worlds has rekindled my love for the Legend of Zelda series. They feel like games for gamers.

Top Bottom