• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

This game is a bastardization of what I consider the greatest Zelda game.

Graphically:

Now look at this ALBW screen:

Please. That is a ridiculously unfair comparison. Let me show you what you've basically done, the opposite way:

1385393298-zelda-lbw-2n.jpg

1385393297-zelda-lbw-1n.jpg

1385393961-zelda-lbw-3nn.jpg

To everyone who's completed their first play-through, how long did it take to finish the story?

14 hours (minus about a half hour to re-do the last dungeon and save to keep my progress, since IIRC there was no save point before the final boss), and I have everything but four Heart Pieces.

Forkball

The graphical style kind of makes me think of NSMB. Some people love that simplistic aesthetic, but some hate it. I think LttP has some amazing sprite art, but I wouldn't call LBW ugly.

Also I had no idea that you could rent ALL the items, I thought it was just one at a time. Though I probably shouldn't wander off without the Master Sword.

Beef

Please. That is a ridiculously unfair comparison. Let me show you what you've basically done, the opposite way:

1385393298-zelda-lbw-2n.jpg

1385393297-zelda-lbw-1n.jpg

1385393299-zelda-lbw-3n.jpg

I just dont agree man, I think the bottom picture, even blown up, is leaps and bounds superior in terms of design and art. It is actually pretty to look at! It has color, depth, intensity. That giant skull entrance looks scary as shit! The 3D design just does not have the same feeling, it's just, flat.

Beef

It's a huge step down, agreed. The stereoscopic 3D is pretty solid though, for what it's worth. The art style looks like it has some good intentions, but the models just weren't finished. Reminds me a lot of the early shots of OoT. I really enjoyed seeing some of the old enemies and bits of the environment in 3D though, like 'oh, that's what the sprite was going for." Still doesn't look half as good, but interesting.

NPC part is a good point. There's no good reason for half of it that gets thrown in there.

I found the 3D aspects to be very natural, easy to see, and pretty interesting. Sometimes even nice little 'aha' moments. And the same is true of the wall merge. It's pretty different from anything I've come across in (especially 2D) Zelda before. Imo it's a really fun mechanic, though probably a bit overdone here (since it's the only ability that pretty much the whole game knows you'll have.)

Dungeons being fast is one of the best parts of this game. Just like in LttP, the dungeons are quick and fun all the way through, instead of overstaying their welcome. The dungeons and puzzles in LttP were easy as well, for better or worse.

Where you see a mutant, I see a well done sequel. Yes, it reuses aspects of LttP, but that's ok with me. I love that world, and a chance to explore it again and find new things is much appreciated. Maybe it sullies your nostalgia, but it's hitting mine in all the right spots.

Strong reply, I appreciate your insight. I would agree that perhaps I'm too nostalgic with aLTTP, which may alter my experience.

so1337

I've been playing this game for a few hours and it's far from ugly. It looks great with the 3D slider all the way up. It doesn't look as good in 2D mode, so I would really recommend playing it in 3D, the 3D adds a lot to the visuals.
I don't think that's true at all. It's not like 3D adds any visual fidelity.

I just dont agree man, I think the bottom picture, even blown up, is leaps and bounds superior in terms of design and art. It is actually pretty to look at! It has color, depth, intensity. The 3D design just does not have the same feeling, it's just, flat.

Your opinion is not the problem; the point is, at least use similar-sized screenshots when discussing game visuals. Your 3DS image was more than 2 times the actual resolution which is likely to mislead people.

Celine

I just dont agree man, I think the bottom picture, even blown up, is leaps and bounds superior in terms of design and art. It is actually pretty to look at! It has color, depth, intensity. The 3D design just does not have the same feeling, it's just, flat.
ALBW has brighter graphics compared to LTTP, probably because of the 3D (with darker graphics ghosting are more frequent...).
Speaking of 3D, it's really well done.
One of the better example on 3DS IMO.

Graphically:

A link between worlds looks like animal crossing. I can't impress just how ugly the art style is. The pixelated, bright, blocky, overhead view pales in comparison to the initial 2D design. The push on the 3DS to create a 3D experience results in a less artistic, less immersing style. Maybe I just don't have an eye for newer generation art, but the Nintendo 64 style graphics look terrible and age even worse. LTTP is still a pleasure to look at after all these years, I sure we won't be saying the same for ALBW.

Look at these LTTP screens:
snes01.png

Legend-of-Zelda-The-A-Link-to-the-Past-U-_00076.bmp

Zelda+3.jpg

Now look at this ALBW screen:
link-between-worlds-review-12.jpg

Gameplay:

NPCs in this game are incredibly annoying. Starting in Ocarina of time, and progressively getting more controlling and overbearing, this game follows the path of WW or Skyward sword with long, annoying, pointless NPC interactions. For the love of god Nintendo, please stop wasting my time with all this worthless dialogue.

3D aspects of play are gimmicky, often difficult to physically see. New item system is cumbersome, switching items is difficult. Dungeons and puzzles are incredibly fast and easy. Without getting items from a dungeon, instead just "renting" them, makes dungeons seem more like a chore and less like a chance to upgrade your character. Overworld is exactly the same structure of aLTTP. 2D "painting on wall" mechanic is not enjoyable.

Impression:

If Nintendo wanted to make a port of LTTP, they could have kept the art style and 2D aspect, resulting in a rehash of an excellent game. If they wanted to make a new 3DS game, they should have made a new game. Instead, they formed some mutant bastard child of aLTTP and the newer, shitty zeldas. This mutant excels in no areas. It looks like garbage, has mediocre gameplay, repetitive mechanics, and sullies my LTTP nostalgia. I honestly enjoyed my LTTP re-playthrough a year back significantly more than aLBW.

If you enjoy the newer Zeldas, this game may appeal to you. But as an advocate for the original game, the resulting aLBW is a cluttered yet gameplay simplified, overbearing, ugly semi-remake of a once excellent game.
I personally can't understand the point of boring NPC, but I thought the characters were pretty charming and interesting. Biggest shame is, though, that the characters aren't fleshed out. That's something which has been missed in any Zelda game. (Except Majora's Mask).

emb

I just dont agree man, I think the bottom picture, even blown up, is leaps and bounds superior in terms of design and art. It is actually pretty to look at! It has color, depth, intensity. That giant skull entrance looks scary as shit! The 3D design just does not have the same feeling, it's just, flat.
Yeah. It's funny, even trying to prove a point by showing the original in a lower pixel density, it still looks miles better.

Strong reply, I appreciate your insight. I would agree that perhaps I'm too nostalgic with aLTTP, which may alter my experience.
I'm really nostalgic too. I can understand some of the disappointment, but I'm just happy to get something similar to LttP at all. Maybe it's just that I've been so starved for classic-style Zelda since like... Oracles or Minish Cap.

I have very strong nostalgia for A Link to the Past (one of my favorite Zelda games), but I'm still enjoying A Link Between Worlds quite a bit. It's not perfect (I have mixed thoughts on the whole renting/buying itmes), but I'm still having a blast. And I actually think the game looks really great overall (especially with 3D turned on).

Tom_Cody

I wasn't sure where to post this; as far as I can tell this is new to GAF.

Haruhiko Mikimoto (anime illustrator known for Macross and Gunbuster) did illustrations based on the original Legend of Zelda at the time of its release for Newtype Magazine.

This is the first time I've ever seen these and I think this is my new favorite ever depiction of Link.

New avatar get.

source:
http://oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com/tagged/Legend-of-Zelda via http://kotaku.com/zelda-meets-macross-80s-child-brains-explode-1468650370

silenttwn

Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds are trying to accomplish different things graphically. Link Between Worlds doesn't look too hot when you scrutinize a screenshot of it, but it's way more animated than Link to the Past and has a sense of vertical depth that its predecessor lacks. Also, if they were to accurately re-produce Link to the Past in 3D I think they would have had to use a higher polygon count and would have to sacrifice framerate (given the title were still to come out on the 3DS). And also (maybe most importantly), the development staff are not the same folks who developed Link to the Past. Forcing them to rigidly re-produce assets that resemble the original game perfectly is kind of ridiculous. This IS a new game after all.

TheExodu5

Banned
Another awesome example:

screen-shot-2013-11-08-at-5.00.19-pm.png

Such graphics.

People need to stop posting this. There are obvious scaling artifacts in that picture...it's upconverted from a lower resolution, which results in some really terrible looking aliasing. And anyone who's played this game knows that it looks gorgeous in person.

Moff

wow, I just found there is an actual intro sequence if you leave the slot selection screen idle for a minute

Wazzy

Banned
Ignoring the graphical debate going on right now, I have to say I'm really enjoying this game so far. I've never played ALTTP so I'm not really coming in with expectations. It's slowly becoming my favourite handheld Zelda but It just can't beat out OOT and MM for favourite Zelda.

Anyway, I now have the option of going between two dungeons so I'm starting with
Death Mountain.

CodonAUG

I never really played the original SNES Zelda but this 3DS one is pretty cool.

I like the graphics and the screenshots that were posted made me do a double take because the 3ds game doesn't look anything like the still photos in real world use.

My only complaint is there isn't much of a story (but thats the Nintendo Difference(R) I guess).

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Super Mario 3D Land, I'm very happy for you and Imma let you finish but A Link Between Worlds is the best Nintendo game of all time
at least from the ones out this year.

zoukka

I for one feared for the visuals based on the intial screens and such. But the game looks great when you play it, everything is smooth and animated and the simple assets are very nicely in harmony. It's a great looking game.

pariah164

I stopped taking you seriously after this line right here, because that seems unnecessarily harsh. Perhaps you have the nostalgia goggles on too tight, because I played LttP, I loved it, and I adore this game. It's like returning home after 20 years, and the game looks amazing. Lorule is eerily creepy throughout, and is a great successor to the Dark World from LttP. The flow of the game is tight, the music is incredible, and It's just a lot of fun to play. I'm just sorry you didn't get the same experience.

deleted

Currently I still have 3 Sages to go and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game!

I really enjoy the more open structure of the game. The renting/buying mechanic seems like such a small addition on paper, but man does it change the game! If the team transfers that to the next 3D Zelda, it will be awesome! Also it feels like it has the perfect amount of Sidequests which also feel interesting so far - I haven't done all of them, but it's nice that you can differ from the main path and do other things for hours if you wanted to.

The visuals are fine - could have been better, but they sure accomplish their goal. I am in the fire dungeon right now and it's the first time that I'm having frame drops.

The most awesome thing I never expected in this game is throwbacks to SM64 of all games in the fire dungeon. The music and the design manages to throw loads of nostalgia my way.

Rich!

So where's
Maimai
...? I've already beat like 2 dungeons in the
Dark World
and have yet to find her.

Below the bridge to the east of Links house in a cave.

Currently I still have 3 Sages to go and I'm enjoying the hell out of this game!

I really enjoy the more open structure of the game. The renting/buying mechanic seems like such a small addition on paper, but man does it change the game! If the team transfers that to the next 3D Zelda, it will be awesome! Also it feels like it has the perfect amount of Sidequests which also feel interesting so far - I haven't done all of them, but it's nice that you can differ from the main path and do other things for hours if you wanted to.

The visuals are fine - could have been better, but they sure accomplish their goal. I am in the fire dungeon right now and it's the first time that I'm having frame drops.

The most awesome thing I never expected in this game is throwbacks to SM64 of all games in the fire dungeon. The music and the design manages to throw loads of nostalgia my way.

What SM64 reference? I never caught that.

JeTmAn81

Below the bridge to the west of Links house in a cave.

I believe she's actually to the east, not the west. I always warp to Link's house in Hyrule and just head east a couple of screens and she's in that cave. There are a couple of rocks above the cave entrance that actually make it look a bit like Mama Maiamai herself.

Is it still 60 fps with 3d enabled? Is that a first?

I believe so, but that makes sense since the graphics aren't incredibly detailed. It's a simple artstyle with fluid gameplay.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Damn I should have spent more time playing mk7 with 3d. I just assumed it was a universal performance bump based on early commentary on the 3ds around here.

deleted

Below the bridge to the east of Links house in a cave.

What SM64 reference? I never caught that.

The music sounds a lot like Mario 64 in those sequences and the overall look of the dungeon and the lava - idk it just feels like it. Adding to that the animation when Link gets hit by flames and jumps into the screen...

There is no direct reference, it just feels a bit alike.

StAidan

All this graphic discussion is silly. I've got a definite bias/warm place in my heart for LttP's visual style, and sure, maybe I prefer it to this game's visuals, but there's nothing wrong with the new style. It looks great in motion and it doesn't feel un-Zeldalike or anything.

Anyway, finally made it to Lorule this morning. Had enough money saved during the first 3 dungeon runs that I was able to buy 5 of my rented items outright.

Having reached this point in the game, I feel pretty confident in saying that this game is all but parallel with LttP in most ways. Challenge level is about the same, soundtrack (for its time) is amazing, and gameplay is smooth and satisfying.

I know it's a kinda-sorta "sequel" to Link to the Past, but in a lot of ways it just feels like a remake. Sure, the story elements vary a little bit and the world is slightly different, but it's all structured the same. I'm not really complaining. After 20 years of waiting for this game, I won't demand anything great and new until the next installment.

Very enjoyable game, I can't wait to play it more tonight.

Timeaisis

All this graphic discussion is silly. I've got a definite bias/warm place in my heart for LttP's visual style, and sure, maybe I prefer it to this game's visuals, but there's nothing wrong with the new style. It looks great in motion and it doesn't feel un-Zeldalike or anything.

Anyway, finally made it to Lorule this morning. Had enough money saved during the first 3 dungeon runs that I was able to buy 5 of my rented items outright.

Having reached this point in the game, I feel pretty confident in saying that this game is all but parallel with LttP in most ways. Challenge level is about the same, soundtrack (for its time) is amazing, and gameplay is smooth and satisfying.

I know it's a kinda-sorta "sequel" to Link to the Past, but in a lot of ways it just feels like a remake. Sure, the story elements vary a little bit and the world is slightly different, but it's all structured the same. I'm not really complaining. After 20 years of waiting for this game, I won't demand anything great and new until the next installment.

Very enjoyable game, I can't wait to play it more tonight.

I agree with you pretty much completely except the difficulty. Comparatively, I think ALttP is a much more difficult game. I haven'tdied once in ALBW (although I'm only about ~4 dungeons in).

So far I'm 6 hours playing, doing side quests and hoping I will find a way to get the limited edition treasure chest here in China. I really like this game, so much I'm willing to get physical copy just for the treasure haha.

Khaz

And Gunman Clive ;)

How so convenient of you being in a Zelda thread

I remember a quote about some potential new game:
It’s still very early in development and a lot of the design isn’t finalized, but it’s very heavily inspired by the early Zelda games; it uses a topdown perspective with 3D graphics and it’s for the 3DS. The artstyle is fairly different from the new Zelda but has some influences from [A Link to the Past] as well, so yes I think comparisons will certainly be made [to A Link to the Past 2].

;)

Top Bottom