• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds |OT| All in all you're just another Link in the wall

Bollocks

So I read there are puzzles in this game?
I never played Zelda and thought now is the right time to buy my first Nintendo console in 15 years :D
Would go for the 2DS, not ashamed, I just want to catch up on some games I've missed through the years.

I never played Zelda and thought now is the right time to buy my first Nintendo console in 15 years :D
Would go for the 2DS, not ashamed, I just want to catch up on some games I've missed through the years.

Zelda-type puzzles, yes.

If you haven't played Nintendo games for 15 years then my god, you will have a TON of incredible games to play. Between DS and 3DS games that you can play on the 2DS, you could play a new incredible game every week of 2014 and not be left wanting.

edit: I will say that the 3D in this game is incredible. It actually helps with some gameplay as well. I've tried turning off the slider and it makes an impact. If you're at all interested in 3D, get a 3DS XL or something. It's worth it.

Weiss

Banned
Oh my God this game is so amazing. I won't say it's as good as LTTP, but it's definitely the best game in the series since Wind Waker.

The puzzles and wall walking are definitely the best parts, since they allow a brand new scope on the world. I just now manipulated a Wallmaster to hit buttons above me while I maneuvered around a lava maze with a hookshot.

I wouldn't really call them puzzles in a traditional sense. More like obstacles?

Well they're not Professor Layton styled puzzles, sure, but rooms in Zelda games often boil down to being puzzles with some enemies thrown in.

I don't think you could describe the Treasure Hunter rooms as anything BUT puzzles, for instance.

What's the difficulty like?

I'm a Zelda veteran and I'd say it's very good. I actually died when I got to an area and faced some enemies that were WAY stronger than I was anticipating. Got two-shotted. And they're pretty much right next to a dungeon you have to go to at that point in the game so, yeah. You can't just run around hacking aimlessly. Even the standard guards are a bit more fearsome than the ones in LTTP since they block your strikes more.

It honestly feels extremely well balanced. I've made use of fairies a couple times as well, as well as a potion. It's not a game that's going to crush you, but Zelda has never been about that (well, except for 2, but y'know).

Playing this game on a 2DS would be like taking your Ferrari for a spin in a traffic jam. I primarily play on a 2DS (more comfortable Dpad for the relevant games I play), but there was no way in hell I was playing this game on that. XL or bust yo.

Madouu

Loved the little trick to get the Master Ore in Dark Palace, I think this might be my favourite dungeon so far, tied with Swamp Palace

So I just finished the story
Overall, it's ok but it introduces too much without ever explaining anythng. I would have loved an explanation to what Lorule is or why there is another Triforce, but it never delivered. I love the whole Ravio = Link thing though.

RkOwnage

The baseball game is infuriating. I am watching the plate to try and time my swings, and it seems there really is no pattern. It's absolutely frustrating, I can see the treasure game being all luck based, but in reality, all the games are luck based, just some hide it more than others..../endrant

Hate this minigame.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If someone had told me, in 2009, that the next handheld Zelda would fix every problem I had with Spirit Tracks, I wouldn't have believed them. But... here we are.

Tuck

Ice Palace dungeon is interesting - got the boss key in 30 seconds lol.

Getting to the ice dungeon was amazing.

This game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If someone had told me, in 2009, that the next handheld Zelda would fix every problem I had with Spirit Tracks, I wouldn't have believed them. But... here we are.

Shit if someone told me that the next handheld Zelda, would be one of the greatest Nintendo games of all time, I'd have slapped them. This game just...destroyed my mind.

eXistor

The more I play, the more it crawls up to "god-tier" Zelda. It won't reach the lofty heights of the very best Zelda's, but it's definitely giving it a fair go. Good shit, good shit.

The baseball game is infuriating. I am watching the plate to try and time my swings, and it seems there really is no pattern. It's absolutely frustrating, I can see the treasure game being all luck based, but in reality, all the games are luck based, just some hide it more than others..../endrant

Hate this minigame.

It's hard, but there really is a knack to it. As much as I know this answer doesn't help, you have to "feel" the timing. I got the heart piece within minutes. Just focus on getting 3 pots and then the crow, ignore the shining pots.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
tiny problem:

even though rupees are much more valuable in this game, it still feels a little bit odd to finish a hidden puzzle-room and only get 100 rupees.

RkOwnage

The more I play, the more it crawls up to "god-tier" Zelda. It won't reach the lofty heights of the very best Zelda's, but it's definitely giving it a fair go. Good shit, good shit.

It's hard, but there really is a knack to it. As much as I know this answer doesn't help, you have to "feel" the timing. I got the heart piece within minutes. Just focus on getting 3 pots and then the crow, ignore the shining pots.

got it ;), just had to vent.

tiny problem:

even though rupees are much more valuable in this game, it still feels a little bit odd to finish a hidden puzzle-room and only get 100 rupees.

I wish some of the pieces of heart were in the treasure hunter rooms rather than say
next to the Blacksmith in a cave where all you have to do is have gotten the Titan's Mitt to lift the rock.

Neiteio

I always lose my nerve when the clapping kicks in on the cucco-dodging game. THE PRESSURE.

That being said, it's one of the more entertaining minigames in the Zelda series. :)

Man I'm loving this game. I'd really fallen out of love with the series, but this brought me back completely. :)

Also, here's an avatar if anyone wants it.
r9L0iQE.png

I'll probably do some more of all the sages and Yuga later on.

Weiss

Banned
And done!

To summarize: Amazing experience. Some of the best puzzles in the entire series, and it's just plain fun to explore the two worlds.

For my sole complaint,
Yuga taking Ganon's form, Hilda being the mastermind, and Lorule's broken Triforce were all ideas that kind of just popped up at the end with no real weight. The former really should have been worked throughout the game, because the idea of Ganon not being the main villain, not showing up to take over or some crap and instead acting as the vessel for somebody else, is just so awesome that it needed more fleshing out. Yuga himself was great during his screentime, but could have used more development, and dropping him from the entire Lorule segment of the game was ridiculous. Not to mention Hilda was just plain wasted as a character. Ravio was alright, but I would have like to know more about him.

Neiteio

So your only problem with Spirit Tracks was the train overworld?
Ha, are you suggesting that's the only improvement ALBW makes over Spirit Tracks? Because there are certainly much more meaningful changes than that, starting with the fact it uses an analog stick and buttons rather than the polarizing stylus scheme.

Serrato

Man I'm loving this game. I'd really fallen out of love with the series, but this brought me back completely. :)

Also, here's an avatar if anyone wants it.
r9L0iQE.png

I'll probably do some more of all the sages and Yuga later on.

I'll take it :) I always loved that artstyle since WW.

Garcia

Holy shit, this game is so fucking good.

So. Good. AAARGGH.

Nintendo, keep doing stuff as good as this game, please. We need it!

john tv

And done!

To summarize: Amazing experience. Some of the best puzzles in the entire series, and it's just plain fun to explore the two worlds.

For my sole complaint,
Yuga taking Ganon's form, Hilda being the mastermind, and Lorule's broken Triforce were all ideas that kind of just popped up at the end with no real weight. The former really should have been worked throughout the game, because the idea of Ganon not being the main villain, not showing up to take over or some crap and instead acting as the vessel for somebody else, is just so awesome that it needed more fleshing out. Yuga himself was great during his screentime, but could have used more development, and dropping him from the entire Lorule segment of the game was ridiculous. Not to mention Hilda was just plain wasted as a character. Ravio was alright, but I would have like to know more about him.
I saw the Hilda thing coming from the first time she talked to the Zelda painting fairly early on in Lorule. You could just tell she was jealous by the wording they used. Subtle, but effective IMO.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So your only problem with Spirit Tracks was the train overworld?

if by "train overworld" you mean "everything in ST that doesn't directly relate to the dungeon-design" then, yeah, sure.

Neiteio

It's mind-boggling that in North America, at least, Nintendo released two of its best games ever on the same day. Also neat is the way it echoes the Super Famicon launch in Japan, with a direct sequel to ALttP, and a spiritual sequel to Super Mario World (although I suppose the latter is more in name than design; I'd say 3D World is more SMB3 than SMW).

RagnarokX

Ha, are you suggesting that's the only improvement ALBW makes over Spirit Tracks? Because there are certainly much more meaningful changes than that, starting with the fact it uses an analog stick and buttons rather than the polarizing stylus scheme.

The stylus controls weren't as good as standard controls, but they were good and allowed for things that could not be done otherwise, like drawing on the map, drawing a path for the boomerang, and the sand wand.

Neiteio

The stylus controls weren't as good as standard controls, but they were good and allowed for things that could not be done otherwise, like drawing on the map, drawing a path for the boomerang, and the sand wand.
I appreciate the stylus controls, and they were certainly well-done for what they were. I just love the standard controls in ALBW, though, and the way their responsiveness is wed to incredibly snappy animations and 60 fps. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't actually consider the stylus-controlled movement and items a problem, honestly. Going back to the old boomerang felt a shame.

I see a lot of posts already saying what I'm about to say, but goddamn, this game is just AWESOME. I've been down on Zelda for quite some time, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword being the absolute lowpoints of the series for me (yes I know it's loved by others), I just had the feeling it wasn't for me any longer, so I hesitated on getting this one. But goddamn, this game delivered and then some.

From the no BS beginning where you just hit the ground running, to the snappy combat, the way the items were handled, the music and especially the puzzles which at no point ever felt like a chore and made me chuckle at how inventive and clever they were. This game's a worthy successor to one of my most beloved games of all time and that's an achievement I really didn't Nintendo was capable of these days.

I'm actually having my faith restored in Nintendo with how insanely good their output has been lately. But either way, A+, 5 stars, Tenouttaten.

It really is an amazing game, so happy with the way it turned out. Like others have said you really must see it in motion to appreciate and the music is just perfection.
Man the 3DS is just an amazing console to have right now.

Dr.Hadji

And Bomb-chu drawing, duel wielding characters, aiming with the bow. Heck general interfacing with people and objects is easier when you only have to tap on them. Tap to aim makes throwing bombs where you want to much more easy. Really can't think of any item that has fared better in the traditional 2d Zelda controls when compared to the DS games.

Madouu

I'm almost at the end of the game and I still have no idea where I can upgrade my items...

the cave south east of link's house in hyrule, you need to bomb the entrance, there's a sign warning of a weird creature in front of it

In other news, the racing mini game made me rage at my circle pad, but I finally nailed it!

I'm almost at the end of the game and I still have no idea where I can upgrade my items...

First you have to buy the items so you own them. Then
there is a cave just southeast of Link's home (north of the lake) that has a rock covering it. Blow up the rock and inside is Mother Maiamai. For every 10 of her lost children you collect and return to her she will upgrade an item of yours. Return all 100 and she will also teach you an upgraded spin move.

Spirit Tracks is downright unplayable if you're using a 3DS and not the original DS. Spots where you have to blow into the microphone simply don't work. I gave up.

Llyranor

Just got to the Dark World. 7h45 so far, been taking my sweet time exploring the overworld. LTTP being my favorite game, it's been like revisiting an old friend, without feeling like a rehash. Really really really enjoying this so far.

beril

How so convenient of you being in a Zelda thread

I remember a quote about some potential new game:

;)

I've kind of cancelled/postponed that project though... it wasn't going very well. And honestly I'm pretty glad I'm not working on it while I'm playing aLbW. It's not an easy standard to live up to.

I don't know if that was intentional, but
the first two syllables of Hilda's name in katakana (ヒルダ) are the Japanese word for leech

Top Bottom