• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: BotW good for a 5 year old?

So I bought my boy a Nintendo Switch along with Mario Odyssey for Christmas, but I feel as though more games may be necessary. Would BotW be a good choice or would this game be a little over his head? To my understanding BotW is mostly a big sandbox and I’m sure he doesn’t care for the story, but would it be good for him to just mosey around and have fun with or would it be too difficult for him to enjoy? As it stands I’m sure we would have fun taking turns with the controller but I’m trying to buy games that he would want to play more than me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Go for it. My 3 year old figured out how to capture and ride horses, how to shoot the bow, how to attack w melee weapons, and even how to change his equipment in the menu. I gained a new appreciation for Nintendo's design in BotW when I saw how he gradually figured everything out without being able to read anything. Probably one of the best introductions to the open-world genre that a young kid could hope for.

He isn't going to beat the game anytime soon, but if he's having fun, who cares? Let him try it.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Go for it. My 3 year old figured out how to capture and ride horses, how to shoot the bow, how to attack w melee weapons, and even how to change his equipment in the menu.

This is how geniuses are made, as far as I'm concerned.

Kids are naturally curious, OP. Just give him the game and let him figure it out. If he sticks with it, you know you have a born gamer on your hands.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nope. it might have pretty cartoon graphics but i'd say it'd be too complicated for a 5 year old brain.

but still...i would let them jump in and play about. when i was 5 years old nearly every game i played i only played the start of it because i couldn't get anywhere but i loved it.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i tried to play Mario Odyssey with my 5 yo niece and she couldn't get the controls right. she could run but that's about it. doing 3d with twin stick controls is pretty complicated. plus all the buttons to remember. thank god i grew up with Atari 7800, those controllers had two buttons, and they were the same button!

i'd recommend something a little easier. Yoshi's Crafted World is gorgeous and cute and pretty easy to control. Mario Kart 8 is also a super easy to play game that rules.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Yeah absolutely. I think people ITT are thinking they intend to complete the game. Chances are they'll play it, be endeared by its open world structure and colourful graphics but be fucking terrified of venturing beyond the first part, maybe working up the courage once or twice. I did that a whole bunch as a kid with games like Medieval.

They'll get the hang of it by the time they're 10 and have wonderful memories to boot.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah absolutely. I think people in this thread are thinking they intend to complete the game. Chances are they'll play it, be endeared by its open world structure and colourful graphics but be fucking terrified of venturing beyond the first part, maybe working up the courage once or twice. Really good game for a five-year old IMO.

They'll get the hang of it by the time they're 10 and have wonderful memories to boot.
Bingo. I didn't beat Commander Keen when I was a kid, nor Super Mario Bros, nor DOOM, nor Ninja Gaiden, nor Sonic the Hedgehog, nor most of the other games I grew up with in early childhood. Didn't stop me from enjoying them and forming good memories.

FCKAFD

its even too complicated for me and im 30. weapons keep breaking all the time and i gave up havent even finished the tutorial yet

Last edited:

ROMhack

Also, I can see why Mario Odyssey isn't a great game for this. The start is quite structured and even when you're in each world, it's not simple because the moon puzzles are designed to begin only when they're invoked. This often relies on understanding cryptic hints; complex language like that would be too hard for 5-year olds.

Zelda by comparison is more visual—even the weapon menu.

Last edited:
i tried to play Mario Odyssey with my 5 yo niece and she couldn't get the controls right. she could run but that's about it. doing 3d with twin stick controls is pretty complicated. plus all the buttons to remember. thank god i grew up with Atari 7800, those controllers had two buttons, and they were the same button!

i'd recommend something a little easier. Yoshi's Crafted World is gorgeous and cute and pretty easy to control. Mario Kart 8 is also a super easy to play game that rules.
He’s actually fairly good with twin stick controls from playing Minecraft on my PC. That being said he’s also great with a keyboard and mouse and understands all the creative mode controls which kind of impressed me.

Given the feedback I might be leaning more towards Mario Kart 8 or Yoshi's Crafted World. Maybe I’ll buy BotW at a later date for us to play together.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I'd say about 7 or 8 is the youngest I'd expect a kid to be able to grasp the majority of the mechanics to where they'd be having fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My s-daughter is around that age and she’s into Smash Bros, Mario (just running around), and she loves to talk about Mario Maker.

Stuff like BotW is too demanding. She tried Link’s Awakening and she shut it off because it was too hard. She didn’t know what to do. That’s the biggest thing. She can’t read yet and BotW makes you figure things out. It’s no straight run unless you’re incredibly skilled at combat. Smash Bros is super easy. The funny part was that she booted up Night Trap after Zelda and was more interested in setting traps for the bad guys than playing as Link.

Plus she always asks to play as Zelda. You can only really do that (the way she wants to) in Smash Bros. Kids don’t want to solve the puzzle. My kid likes Human Fall Flat and Roblox. If anything they’ll ask to play another game after getting stuck in BotW.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It really depends on how much of an affinity he has for video games. I bought my son a Switch when he turned 4 along with Mario Odyssey. He had been playing video games since before he turned 3 and started with Yoshi's Woolly World on Wii U, before later moving into Mario 3D World. Mario Odyssey was hard at first for him (primarily controlling the camera with the right stick), but he figured it out pretty quickly, and, over the course of a year, got really good at the game to the point that he is now probably better than me.

Around the time he turned 5, he started showing an interest in Zelda and I let him play on my save file a little bit to see if he could figure it out. Turns out he could! It wasn't simple at first, but he totally fell in love with the game. I ended up buying the digital version and giving him my cartridge so he could start a brand new game on his own Switch. I had to help him out a lot in the beginning, but now, almost a year later, he's completely mastered the game. I helped him through his play-through by looking up quest solutions and such online and telling him what to do next sometimes, but in terms of controlling the game and engaging with the mechanics, he's no worse than I am.

We've since gone on to do absolutely everything in the game and its DLC other than collect all the Korok Seeds and he is a total badass when it comes to the combat. Even though he's done everything, he still just loves to run through the world and mess around with the various systems. It's easily his favorite game alongside Minecraft and Pokémon right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vawn

Banned
Do 5 year-olds enjoy doing the same thing ad nauseam for 200 hours with the only carrot on the stick being the ability to slightly upgrade your health or stamina?

If so, they will LOVE BotW.

Mostly kidding. I liked BotW, but man is it overrated as hell. It seems like a good foundation for a great game, but was not ready. Hopefully, BotW2 is the leap Assassin's Creed was from 1 to 2.

Terce

My kid (4) plays Odyssey, GO Evee, and Smash without much trouble. I'd suggest something like the GO gen 1 remakes or Smash as you can play together cooperatively and they'll actually be able to see the direct result of their button presses. In GO you can run around together, battle and catch pokemon together, and due to it's cartoony nature it's a lot more kid friendly.

Vawn

Banned
Kids play Minecraft on survival, so why not? Most of BotW is just running around doing random crap too.

Zelent

Zelda: BotW and Mario Odyssey are both bad recommendations for a five year old.

Go with Yoshi Wooley World.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Zelda BOTW will be too difficult and/or complex for him.

However, I do highly recommend the game if you are able to play it (it’s literally one of the beat games ever made) and as a bonus, if you play the game long enough and become really powerful, then your kids may have a fun time messing around inside the game (just be sure to keep a separate save file in case they get a good horse killed or break too many weapons).

This is what I did with my 5 year old and she would have fun running around exploring and riding horses, and fighting the occasional bad guy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It really depends on the kid whether or not it will be too difficult. If he can handle dual analog controls with Mario Odyssey, I think he can probably figure out Zelda.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You want a 5 year old playing BOTW? Yup, you could give them that game but don't expect them to complete it for the record I would recommend BOTW to anyone.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a must-buy, OP

If you're leaning toward that game, I say go for it. Tons of tracks. Gorgeous graphics, animation, and music. Tons of characters and karts. Nearly every map is at least 'good' if not excellent. Proper battle mode and also the biggest, most feature-complete battle mode in series history.

Fbh

How about one of the lego games? Those are pretty fun, have a more kid friendly design and there's local coop so you could play together.
I guess he will still have fun with Zelda, but 5 seems too young to enjoy a large part of the game, and it might be frustrating if he keeps dying because early on you have little health and enemies hit hard.

As others have said, Pokemon Let's go also seems like it would be fun. And it also supports local coop

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
It might be a bit difficult initially, but I think, for you, it would be interesting to watch him go from bad to amazing. Progression videos would be interesting.

ChuyMasta

I have a 4 year old. When he plays BotW, he loads up my finished file and just messes around with it. Yes, he can change equipment shoot arrows and all that but he is playing as an OP with nearly infinite resources. Of course he likes it.

Though I try not to watch him. Last time I did i noticed he wasted like 20 legendary arrows trying to hunt down a boar.

This is how geniuses are made, as far as I'm concerned.

Kids are naturally curious, OP. Just give him the game and let him figure it out. If he sticks with it, you know you have a born gamer on your hands.
Which 'genius' started off playing video games?

Naibel

I wasn't able to play a single Zelda game until I was 10 or something. I was just so bad at gaming until that point. My parents didn't even let me play vidya when I was 5, it was just too complicated (and expensive). And yes, BOTW even for me, is a pretty damn hard game, easily one of the franchise's hardest alongside Majora's Mask and the NES instalments.

If he/she can handle this game, maybe your got a genius on your hands :-D

Roni

Gold Member
Which 'genius' started off playing video games?

I'm not sure which started off playing video games, specifically. But most of them started out early on life tackling problems slightly more complex than their current level.

And Breath of the Wild is rather complex for a 3 year old, so that was what I was referencing.

Cleared that out for you, bud?

Xdrive05

My little boy is six now and BotW is probably his 2nd favorite game. That doesn’t mean he’s beating it or anything. But he’s put probably 50 hours or more just messing with the physics, finding treasures and fighting bokoblins. So I’d say it’s a good option for yours, or it will be soon.

I'm not sure which started off playing video games, specifically. But most of them started out early on life tackling problems slightly more complex than their current level.

And Breath of the Wild is rather complex for a 3 year old, so that was what I was referencing.

Cleared that out for you, bud?
You cleared up that your statement was complete bullshit, yes.

Top Bottom