• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath of The Wild 1.3.0 Patch is out!

f@luS

More than a member.
To anyone who tried farming star fragment from the peaks , I tried 3 night straight and none felt from the sky where before I had almost 100% of the time one. Was it patched ?

PillarEN

Did they ever fix the weapon durabilty issues? I have yet to start this game.waiting to play it in its ultimate form.
Don't treat your weapons as something to hold near and dear like they are pets. They are to be treated like dirt. Use and abuse till they break and move on.

Jelle

Found these findings on reddit, by Re_Deemz and others:

• Added the ability to return to the title screen from the system tab in the pause menu
  • Japanese voices for abilities
  • Fixed framerate stability in Korok Forest
  • Faster loading times
  • They added stars back after removing it in 1.2.0
  • I’ve read that the Farosh Farming didn’t get any patch, same for the duplication glitch I believe.
Zoom level is saved between times using the camera
Also you can rotate the camera to look directly 90 degrees up and down, where as before it could only go about 75-80 degrees

Silurus

Because this isn't Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker or another open world RPG.
This is Breath of the Wild and resource management is a major part of the core gameplay loop.

Having an unbreakable weapon trivialises a major aspect of the game. Having to keep reserve weapons on hand while it recharges is a fantastic compromise.

Totally agree. Not sure why so many people have an issue with it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone else verify these for sure? Hopefully we get DF to get the updated loading times if true.

Yes, I'd like verification of this as well.

Was Korok Forest actually improved? I'll be super impressed and happy if that's the case, given that that's pretty much the only area I notice framerate drops in after the last performance patch.

SpokkX

Yes, I'd like verification of this as well.

Was Korok Forest actually improved? I'll be super impressed and happy if that's the case, given that that's pretty much the only area I notice framerate drops in after the last performance patch.

Looks the same to me... if there is a difference it is not improved by much

Still drops frames by the jungle stable also..

Those are the main two areas where there are bad performance issues still..

zenspider

It feels like the lock on camera is different - like if your real close and the camera can't keep up with the enemy, it'll pull back to cinematic far shot.

I haven't played since 1.1, and I could just be plain wrong.

Wish there was vid capture:/

Don't treat your weapons as something to hold near and dear like they are pets. They are to be treated like dirt. Use and abuse till they break and move on.

I think the issue is that it gets annoying having to switch weapons more than once in a fight. I've put a few hrs into the game over the past few days and i do have to agree, the durability is a point of contention for me. The game itself is amazeballs so far and I'm really enjoying it but i couldn't really care less about the combat due to this mechanic. I'm finding myself just avoiding fights as much as possible as cycling through weapons on every single encounter is a massive chore and takes me out of the action.

I have nothing against the whole durability system in games....but they should degrade over time before breaking not shatter into pieces after 10 or so hits. This is a poorly executed idea and no amount of excuses is going to change that.

Otherwise, great game, really.

It feels like the lock on camera is different - like if your real close and the camera can't keep up with the enemy, it'll pull back to cinematic far shot.

I haven't played since 1.1, and I could just be plain wrong.

Wish there was vid capture:/

Lock on is wonky. It's been that way, but it doesn't do it all the time.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What are the stars?

My only guess is that maybe people are referring to the stars that appear next to the name of minibosses you've already beaten. Perhaps they stopped displaying after 1.2.0? The only other stars I can think of in the game are the ones you can use to mark locations on the map and the ones that denote equipment levels. But that's absolutely a complete guess.

jediyoshi

Making weapons easily breakable should not be used as s gameplay/balance crutch or to justify having to carry and switch between different variations of the same club so to speak... and have more meat to then than just the weapons you can find (hint: so does Zelda :)).

I like how when you talk about the gameplay, it conveniently doesn't include the fact that the very thing you're talking about is already inherently part of it to begin with.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ok and? One unbreakable weapon that you get late game that makes perfect sense LORE wise in a zelda game that it'd be a special weapon...

How does it take the fun out of the game to have a weapon that doesn't break?

OOT, Windwaker, etc were just fine with no weapon breaking, almost any open world rpg out there from Witcher to Elder Scrolls are fun and enjoyable without weapon breaking, it wouldn't magically make the game no fun if you have a late game weapon that didn't break.

The only thing it would do is let you play without constantly switching weapons, that's it. There's no money exploit or anything that makes it trivial aside from no longer having to switch weapons.

In a game about freedom to me having a weapon the player can choose to use if he/she wants to should trump something like forced weapon switching, especially after you've spent hours upon hours trying them out because of this already.

Holy shit dude.
Give it up.

The whole game is designed around items being disposable.

By the time you get the master sword weapon durability is a non issue. You get awesome gear in every chest and from every enemy.

This good gear plus master sword is durable enough that you only have to switch semi regularly.

It's such a non issue. You're old man yelling at cloud for no reason at this point.

A lot of people don't agree with you. Including gamers, critics, and the fucking game designers.

Sometimes not everything is exactly how you want it. And in this case, you're wrong. Sorry

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Played a little of the DLC. The loading times definitely felt faster overall.

I was hoping they were optimising and could hit 1080p when docked but it doesn't seem possible with BotW I guess. Oh well maybe we'll get a 4k Remaster one day.

ramparter

Banned
I'm perfectly fine with weapons b4eakingh but some of them should last much longer. I mean a steel sword breaks after like 10-15 swing....

Number_6

Were star fragment costs reduced for some armor upgrades?

All the info I'm finding online, for instance, says I need star fragments x1, x2, x3, and x4 for each respective upgrade level per piece of the Skyward Sword Amiibo set. In game, however, I've done the first two levels, and seen the third, and it's x1 star fragment each level so far.

So, instead of 30 star fragments to fully upgrade the set, I'd only need 12.

Stiler

Holy shit dude.
Give it up.

The whole game is designed around items being disposable.

By the time you get the master sword weapon durability is a non issue. You get awesome gear in every chest and from every enemy.

This good gear plus master sword is durable enough that you only have to switch semi regularly.

It's such a non issue. You're old man yelling at cloud for no reason at this point.

A lot of people don't agree with you. Including gamers, critics, and the fucking game designers.

Sometimes not everything is exactly how you want it. And in this case, you're wrong. Sorry

The Master sword is meant to be a Legendary weapon within the game world, but it is a cooldown and not broken so that's a major step up compared to the other weapons in the game.

It's not a non issue though, disregarding the Master Sword, the other weapons by breaking ends up for many people (like me) not fighting enemies, especially if you have many good/unique weapons. Why waste them fighting random enemies and risk breaking them? Sure I'd like to engage in combat but the risks vs the reward isn't worth it, it discourages you from wanting to engage in combat by this design because you don't want to waste your weapons durability on enemies that aren't going to reward you for doing so.

It basically ends up being a forced way to make you use different weapons but goes too far into being an annoyance and hindrance instead of rewarding you for engaging in this aspect of the game.

The flaw is that since the good/unique weapons break, the very facet of weapon breaking discourages you (when you have said weapons) from engaging in normal combat for fear of damaging your un-repairable weapons that will break and then be lost forever.

There are better systems out there. A cooldown like the Master sword (for unique/higher end weapons you get from bosses, etc) where your weapons are damaged but are repaired "over time" would encourage you to still weapon-swap but without making people want to avoid combat/using said weapon for fear of losing it.

Also I'm not the only one that feels this way..
http://kotaku.com/zeldas-sword-breakage-is-some-bullshit-1793139670
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...earn-from-dragon-quest-builders/#448cc0f5c3e3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350170
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/838215606620975104

The game itself is a blast, one of the best exploration rpgs in a long time, it's just the weapon durability is an annoyance to some of us. No need to get upset over it, people just have different opinions on it.

It's the same way with other rpgs and things like "garbage" loot where you get a ton of loot that is basically fodder/useless, at least Zelda is good about not overloading you with a ton of that and gives you unlimited inventory for crafting/materials, something many other rpgs could learn from (IE The Witcher/TES, etc).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why did they add loading time with this? Jumping from a tower always have loading times in Master mode :(

What do you mean? Jumping off stuff is not seamless anymore? That would suck monumentally, so I hope I'm not understanding you correctly.

i think the breakable weapon thing only exist so you could not break the game difficulty, and make it unbalanced.

since you could travel anywhere, and thus get great powerful weapons early on. You could potentially be very overpowered. I got a sword with 50 very early on for an example.

so they made the weapons break so the overpowerment only lasts a couple of enemies.

The Master sword is meant to be a Legendary weapon within the game world, but it is a cooldown and not broken so that's a major step up compared to the other weapons in the game.

It's not a non issue though, disregarding the Master Sword, the other weapons by breaking ends up for many people (like me) not fighting enemies, especially if you have many good/unique weapons. Why waste them fighting random enemies and risk breaking them? Sure I'd like to engage in combat but the risks vs the reward isn't worth it, it discourages you from wanting to engage in combat by this design because you don't want to waste your weapons durability on enemies that aren't going to reward you for doing so.

It basically ends up being a forced way to make you use different weapons but goes too far into being an annoyance and hindrance instead of rewarding you for engaging in this aspect of the game.

The flaw is that since the good/unique weapons break, the very facet of weapon breaking discourages you (when you have said weapons) from engaging in normal combat for fear of damaging your un-repairable weapons that will break and then be lost forever.

There are better systems out there. A cooldown like the Master sword (for unique/higher end weapons you get from bosses, etc) where your weapons are damaged but are repaired "over time" would encourage you to still weapon-swap but without making people want to avoid combat/using said weapon for fear of losing it.

Also I'm not the only one that feels this way..
http://kotaku.com/zeldas-sword-breakage-is-some-bullshit-1793139670
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...earn-from-dragon-quest-builders/#448cc0f5c3e3
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350170
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/838215606620975104

The game itself is a blast, one of the best exploration rpgs in a long time, it's just the weapon durability is an annoyance to some of us. No need to get upset over it, people just have different opinions on it.

It's the same way with other rpgs and things like "garbage" loot where you get a ton of loot that is basically fodder/useless, at least Zelda is good about not overloading you with a ton of that and gives you unlimited inventory for crafting/materials, something many other rpgs could learn from (IE The Witcher/TES, etc).
Dude you seriously need to unlearn this hoarding instinct of yours. Believe me, this was my biggest problem as well.
Years of Resident Evil and Silent Hill have made me into a digital hoarder. Just use the bloody weapons. Botw actually cured me from this silly habit, and I now started to actually enjoy games a lot more.

This is a problem you're having, not the game. Let yourself be free from your compulsive behaviour. It's unhealthy.

watershed

Banned
Why did they add loading time with this? Jumping from a tower always have loading times in Master mode :(

Are you talking about pop-in? I don't think its worse now. There definitely aren't any loading screens for jumping off towers. I don't know what you mean by "loading time" right now.

Caelus

What do you mean? Jumping off stuff is not seamless anymore? That would suck monumentally, so I hope I'm not understanding you correctly.

I don't know what this user is talking about, there are no loading times for jumping off of high places. That only happens if you exploit the 'flying machine' magnesis trick and go away above the boundaries of the overworld, but that doesn't happen in a normal playthrough (and that loading time is only a few seconds).

If they're talking about pop-in, it hasn't changed. People are just easily susceptible to the nocebo effect.

En-ou

I think the issue is that it gets annoying having to switch weapons more than once in a fight. I've put a few hrs into the game over the past few days and i do have to agree, the durability is a point of contention for me. The game itself is amazeballs so far and I'm really enjoying it but i couldn't really care less about the combat due to this mechanic. I'm finding myself just avoiding fights as much as possible as cycling through weapons on every single encounter is a massive chore and takes me out of the action.

I have nothing against the whole durability system in games....but they should degrade over time before breaking not shatter into pieces after 10 or so hits. This is a poorly executed idea and no amount of excuses is going to change that.

Otherwise, great game, really.
If you are pummelling an enemy who is guarding then your weapons break quicker. A mid tier and above weapon does not break in 10 or so hits. I've tested it. You're most likely bad at combat and spamming. Tip - use your bows, buffs and your runes and make your weapon hits count.

Simply put don't play the game as if you have a permanent weapon and you will have solved your playing style problem.

Maiar_m

Were there always DOF effects during combat when enemies are close range or did I miss the patch where it was introduced? I had never noticed it!

ArchAngel

In Master mode the picture freezes and I get a loading symbol on the left corner for about 5 seconds. Didn't happen once in the main game, now jumping from a tower always results in mid game loading times for me (retail game)

In Master mode the picture freezes and I get a loading symbol on the left corner for about 5 seconds. Didn't happen once in the main game, now jumping from a tower always results in mid game loading times for me (retail game)

I don't even comprehend how you're getting that.

Doesn't happen in my game. (and likely no one else's either...)

Top Bottom