• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 Development May Be Close To Completion.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 voice actors claim their work on the sequel is finished

reports that the Spanish voice actors behind characters Revali and Zelda, Marcel Navarro and Nerea Alfonso, revealed in a recent podcast that their duties on the Nintendo Switch sequel were complete.

Nothing has been shown publicly of Breath of the Wild 2 since its surprise announcement during Nintendo’s E3 2019 direct. However, localised voice work is typically one of the final tasks performed by big-budget games’ audio teams, which could suggest the Nintendo project is approaching completion.

Earlier this year it was claimed by a noted Nintendo insider that Breath of the Wild 2’s development was taking longer than expected and that its release would likely miss this calendar year.

In Nintendo’s latest earnings results, the sequel is listed with a ‘TBA’ release.

In June 2019, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma confirmed that Breath of the Wild director Hidemaro Fujibayashi had retained his role on the sequel.

In an interview with Game Informer, Aonuma said: “We’re working together really hard on this game.

“One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story,” he added.

Aonuma also said that younger members of the sequel’s development team had drawn inspiration from Red Dead Redemption 2, while Fujibayashi was playing Skyrim during the creation of the original Breath of the Wild.

An abundance of ideas for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC resulted in Nintendo opting to develop a full-blown sequel rather than continuing to add to the original game, he said.

Moses85

giphy.gif
Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 voice actors claim their work on the sequel is finished

reports that the Spanish voice actors behind characters Revali and Zelda, Marcel Navarro and Nerea Alfonso, revealed in a recent podcast that their duties on the Nintendo Switch sequel were complete.

Nothing has been shown publicly of Breath of the Wild 2 since its surprise announcement during Nintendo’s E3 2019 direct. However, localised voice work is typically one of the final tasks performed by big-budget games’ audio teams, which could suggest the Nintendo project is approaching completion.

Earlier this year it was claimed by a noted Nintendo insider that Breath of the Wild 2’s development was taking longer than expected and that its release would likely miss this calendar year.

In Nintendo’s latest earnings results, the sequel is listed with a ‘TBA’ release.

In June 2019, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma confirmed that Breath of the Wild director Hidemaro Fujibayashi had retained his role on the sequel.

In an interview with Game Informer, Aonuma said: “We’re working together really hard on this game.

“One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story,” he added.

Aonuma also said that younger members of the sequel’s development team had drawn inspiration from Red Dead Redemption 2, while Fujibayashi was playing Skyrim during the creation of the original Breath of the Wild.

An abundance of ideas for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC resulted in Nintendo opting to develop a full-blown sequel rather than continuing to add to the original game, he said.

Moses85

Next gen around the corner and people are saving money, why not make them buy the game before next gen releases ?

To be honest. This IP is to big and important to throw it into the ring without any information. Only one trailer was shown, since this it was/is deadly silent.

Kenpachii

They need a IP to push against microsoft and sony's new boxes that could tank there market. perfect time to slam it the moment those boxes come out. I don't think they care much for this title to succeed or not.

Pretty sure its to keep momentum going.

Otherwise they would have waited with zelda 2 for there next console/handheld.

Ellery

When it comes to Nintendo or big anticipated AAA games in general I usually add 2-3 years. So BOTW2 is a 2022 game for me. Maybe late 2021 if we are lucky because it is a sequel (and I would guess they are reusing animations, models, textures, assests etc. Well atleast some of it).

I don't see it being ready for christmas. If it somehow magically does then I will be suspicious of it. Especially given that I liked BOTW, but I think it is extremely overrated so I would rather have a new game than a sequel to BOTW.

Also I don't have a Switch (yet). I played BOTW1 on the Wii U. I hope by the time BOTW2 comes out that a Switch Pro will be available.

Rat Rage

Honestly, do you guys think Nintendo heard the criticism about durability/dungeons/etc that BOTW got and improved on it?

Durability complainers are a vast minority. The rest can be improved. Durability has to stay as it is, because it's one of the best and most important design features in BotW, since it forces/motivates the player to actually go explore and makes finding new weapons meaningful/exciting, because the player simply needs them.

GlockSaint

Durability complainers are a vast minority. The rest can be improved. Durability has to stay as it is, because it's one of the best and most important design features in BotW, since it forces/motivates the player to actually go explore and makes finding new weapons meaningful/exciting, because the player simply needs them.
Yeah but it can be toned down a bit, you lose weapons way way too fast. Or atleast have a few permanent weapon or a repair system or at the very least double the durability time.

I want Zelda playable in BotW2 for one reason; i want to see her in speedrunning shenanigans. Most of my favourite bits of BotW are out of character actions of Links as he breaks the laws of physics. If Zelda is playable we would get new comedy material.

Also, i am always annoyed at the idea of the protagonist losing all his upgrades in a sequel. Let Link keep his Master Sword damn it.

Inviusx

I don't see why it's a surprise. The engine, world, mechanics and structure have been solved, just a matter of adding new content and game play.

Majoras Mask was only 12 months after Ocarina.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

A game built around the concepts of pure freedom and emergent gameplay where you are forced to change weapons every few hits because... reasons... :rolleyes:. Vast minority indeed... maybe the game is awesome despite the botched durability idea and not because of it?

Finding new weapons is exciting because you need to find them?!? What kind of reasoning is that? It seems like what I would expect to hear in a F2P game pushing for player engagement or other buzzwords not related with fun.

It sounds like you are trolling the game for not having meaningful or interesting weapons and thus people would not be interested to find them and explore the world unless you forced them to do so?!?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Awesome. I’ve been revisiting BOTW just bought the DLC and started a Master play through. The game holds up incredibly well!

Looking forward to the sequel

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Finishing voice acting doesn't mean what you or this website think it means in regard to being "close to completion."

Star citizen's single-player, Squadron 42, has finished performance capture and voice acting years ago.

Last edited:
Finishing voice acting doesn't mean what you or this website think it means in regard to being "close to completion."

Star citizen's single-player, Squadron 42, has finished performance captured and voice acting years ago.
Don't you ever bring Star Citizen to the discussion.
Are you for real ? :messenger_grinning:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is so weird. At first, I was like okay, maybe Revali is just a quick cameo or something?

But Zelda? Not only was she almost all the voicework in the first game, she also appears to be the other main character (in the story, at least) this time.

I don't know how else to interpret this. Voice work is generally the last thing done in development, so you can really lock down your game beforehand and not have to rerecord the lines, and that goes double for Nintendo and their obsession with iteration and polish.

If no mistranslation or any of it, I... can't imagine this thing isn't almost ready for release, as crazy as it sounds, although I would exercise caution in getting hyped.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Don't you ever bring Star Citizen to the discussion.
Are you for real ? :messenger_grinning:

Absolutely. Voice acting can often be done as soon as the script is complete. Worst comes to worst, there can be some additional sessions as needed if a character is added or something doesn't fit as well as it should, but there can easily be years between the end of voice acting and release, just as much there can be years between a game can be played from start to finish and release.

Even assuming this is correct and not misreported (voice actors often don't know much at all about the big picture, as they're kept on a need-to-know basis because they run their mouth often misleadingly and this site is basically based on rumormongering and certainly doesn't historically shine for accuracy), it's 100% meaningless to when the game is going to be finished and come out.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Being forced to do something is the greatest thing about my free time. Also, you know, I completed the game using mostly bombs and master sword after being too annoyed by the constant weapon changing.

SantaC

I don't see why it's a surprise. The engine, world, mechanics and structure have been solved, just a matter of adding new content and game play.

Majoras Mask was only 12 months after Ocarina.
Yeah but was a time when Nintendo were efficient

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Yeah but was a time when Nintendo were efficient
Comparatively the OoT era's game was a much smaller scale and with a ton of more limitations

Sure the engine is there, and they'll like reuse a shit ton of assets, but they are doing new level design, likely new mechanics (I mean it's a Zelda game), new story, voice acting (even if modest), and still developing some new assets to boot
Not to mention play testing for bugs

Absolutely. Voice acting can often be done as soon as the script is complete. Worst comes to worst, there can be some additional sessions as needed if a character is added or something doesn't fit as well as it should, but there can easily be years between the end of voice acting and release, just as much there can be years between a game can be played from start to finish and release.

Even assuming this is correct and not misreported (voice actors often don't know much at all about the big picture, as they're kept on a need-to-know basis because they run their mouth often misleadingly and this site is basically based on rumormongering and certainly doesn't historically shine for accuracy), it's 100% meaningless to when the game is going to be finished and come out.
Star Citizen is a bad example, wonder why they have trouble finishing anything, the script can change at any time of developement, i don't see why anyone should record multiple audio files thru the process of still figuring out how the story will unfold (additional cost), I would understand if it was motion capture but voice acting usually is the last part of developement.
(excuse my eng, not a native speaker)

Ten_Fold

Either they gonna drop this game this holiday or that Mario collection with 64 remastered. I doubt they will drop both around the same time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Man, to be naive and optimistic enough to think you're getting this thing within a year.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No way it's coming this year lol. Late 2021 is my guess and that's the earliest.

My Switch has been stuffed in the cupboard as I've ran out of stuff to play. Would have sold it but I'm waiting for this!

Top Bottom