• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 Development May Be Close To Completion.

Vawn

Banned
I might be getting my PS5 on launch and going straight home to play Switch.

Unless, Ratchet and Clank surprise us and become a launch game, I don't see anything else trumping BotW 2.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Haven’t they been working on this game in some capacity since the first one wrapped three years ago? It started out as a DLC idea for that game after all. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think it could make it this year.

I mean, I’m doubtful, but I can see how it’d technically be possible.

4YOmxCE.jpg

Isn’t dubbing what they’re talking about though? I thought it was a couple of the Spanish language VAs saying they were done recording.
Possible and “likely” aren’t closely related here. Nintendo also likes to tease and market their big franchises more to build up hype — Zelda’s one of them. Nintendo doesn’t give a fuck about “trumping next gen launches”, period, they’ve never marched to that beat. I’d say Holiday 2021 if I had to guess, I hope it’s sooner, might be even later.

Stevonidas

Possible and “likely” aren’t closely related here. Nintendo also likes to tease and market their big franchises more to build up hype — Zelda’s one of them. Nintendo doesn’t give a fuck about “trumping next gen launches”, period, they’ve never marched to that beat. I’d say Holiday 2021 if I had to guess, I hope it’s sooner, might be even later.
I don't think it's about "trumping" them, it's about maintaining their momentum in the face of new console launches.

Nobody is going to be buying a Switch over the ps5/XSX this Holiday season unless there is new, compelling software available to do so.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I don't think it's about "trumping" them, it's about maintaining their momentum in the face of new console launches.

Nobody is going to be buying a Switch over the ps5/XSX this Holiday season unless there is new, compelling software available to do so.

What are you talking about? There’s plenty of reasons to buy a Switch, even with the new, shiny consoles launching. Portability, significantly lower cost, a stellar library of exclusives that have dominated gamer mindshare for the last 3 years that are unlike anything else available on other platforms.

I mean really?

A game built around the concepts of pure freedom and emergent gameplay where you are forced to change weapons every few hits because... reasons... :rolleyes:. Vast minority indeed... maybe the game is awesome despite the botched durability idea and not because of it?

Finding new weapons is exciting because you need to find them?!? What kind of reasoning is that? It seems like what I would expect to hear in a F2P game pushing for player engagement or other buzzwords not related with fun.

It sounds like you are trolling the game for not having meaningful or interesting weapons and thus people would not be interested to find them and explore the world unless you forced them to do so?!?

I feel like you didn't play enough... eventually I was dropping weapons because I couldn't keep all the good ones in inventory. The Master Sword is permanent. The durability kept the game fresh and added more strategy. IMO

Scarcity creates demand. Deamnd creates desire. Desire creates purpose. Purpose creates meaning. So yes, the weapon breakage system in BotW is both exciting and meanigful.
It's a pain in the ass for me and nothing else.

And it's the opposite of "meaningful", since it doesn't even count if you have a weapon or not, since you can use it on one enemy and then it's broken anyway, and you will probably never get another one of those ever again if it's not a "Bokoblin club" or something similar.

I remember that I used the Uchigatana in Demon's Souls after a while until completion. For me that weapon is kind of synonymous for my experience with the game. Also upgrading it was a huge deal.

In BotW, I just remember destroying tons of trash weapons where I don't even care to remember the names of them since they get fucked up so fast.

So, no, I don't hope they retain this system.
It#s the thing I hate the most about BotW.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
>the game forced me to do X

>i used these tools the game provided so I could avoid doing X
Forcing was not my choice of words, I just adapted it from the poster I quoted. I still think it is annoying that they try to enforce the rapid change of weapons. If their different weapons actually had valuable differences, no attempt to disconnect the player from the weapon he uses is necessary, because the player will actually want to use another weapon. If you make abunch of weapons and players tend to stick to their old weapon, then there are a number of things you can take from that:
- Maybe there is no need for that large a number of weapons?
- Maybe the new weapons are not attractive enough?
- Maybe we should try to take the weapon the player likes from him so he feels pressured into using another one.

One of those three is a bad take in my view.

Correct me if I’m wrong, this Zelda is the only one who sold well right? All others took years to get 2m copies.

i played Gameboy classic (black and white), snes, n64 zeldas, gave up the franchise with Nintendo wii. That one wasss bad.

Rat Rage

I remember that I used the Uchigatana in Demon's Souls after a while until completion. For me that weapon is kind of synonymous for my experience with the game. Also upgrading it was a huge deal.

So what? Not every game has to be like Demon/Darksouls. Darksouls has a different gameplay design and thus is a different gaming experience.

I like my games to have different flavours.

supernova8

Banned
They finished their whole three sentences.

Stabbing/slashing

Producer
: Ok, John. Let's go again.
VA: I'm getting too old for this shit.
VA: Wa! Waha! Aha! AAAAA!
Producer: Alright, better. I'm looking for more 'Ha' in Link's voice.
VA: Waaaaaah! Wahaha! Ahaaaa! Ack!

VGEsoterica

Absolutely cannot wait. I bet we don’t see it till fall 2021 though. Nintendo needs an ace in the hole to compete against Sony and MS for Christmas that year.

hope I am wrong though and we see it this year

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Even if it were complete, that wouldn't mean much for a Zelda game. The last one had some minor voice in the beasts and beast quests, the memories and the beginning and the end. I could see that being planned and recorded at almost any time after they got the basic dungeon formula down.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Being forced to do something is the greatest thing about my free time. Also, you know, I completed the game using mostly bombs and master sword after being too annoyed by the constant weapon changing.

Would you kindly swing that sword?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
What are you talking about? There’s plenty of reasons to buy a Switch, even with the new, shiny consoles launching. Portability, significantly lower cost, a stellar library of exclusives that have dominated gamer mindshare for the last 3 years that are unlike anything else available on other platforms.

I mean really?

Indeed. The Switch carved out its own separate place in the market - Nintendo don’t need to compete on the terms set by Sony and Microsoft.

carlosrox

Banned
I hope BOTW2 removes the pausing when going through the quick select at the very least. They shoulda just made the game continue in slow mo. I'm currently drawing a blank but I know other games do it.

I love the combat in this game. It could definitely use some improvements and the sequel surely will, but I'm pretty happy with what we got.

Cannot wait to see how they follow this up.

Gotta love the meta. Check out her Switch Snap too!

Last edited:
Nintendo Announces Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity - Musou Prequel to Breath of the Wild

Illo

2021 for Zelda's 35th Anniversary seems very like at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they are lining up Hyrule Warriors and its inevitable DLC expansions to the release of BotW2.

Rodolink

nice "new gameplay and story" gives me hope they get rid of the weapon & armor system and add proper dungeons.
also next year is 35 anniversary so I guess they'll definitely release it next year.

Top Bottom