• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild 2 planned for 2020

cireza

Banned
Weapons breaking is the smallest problem of the game...

To me the biggest problem in this game, despite the lack of dungeons and the emptiness of the world (which are already huge problems), is a total lack of player progression.

The progression (heart, armors reinforcement) feels extremely artificial, like it was added on top of the game at the end. Everything needs to be redone on this side of things.

Dungeons need to have set enemies and the player needs to hit walls. The 4 giant creatures are totally empty, no enemies, and the bosses just scale more or less, they are totally forgettable. And this applies to the game world. If you remove the small boost in health at the end, all shrines are rendered totally useless. So why explore ? How do you give the player a reason to explore and progress, if nothing meaningful is ever to be found ? You never find an item, an upgrade are anything that actually opens up what you can do.

Overall, I found BotW extremely lacking on this side. The main quests are interesting because they advance the story, but outside from them, there is not much to find, and it will never give anything that changes your vision and opportunities in the world. Everything is set in stone at the very beginning, with all items given to you at once. You never think to yourself "Oh I can't go there yet, I should come back later" with whatever item, or simply when you will be better equipped.

They need to add a decent progression in terms of world traversal and difficulty. Honestly, I still can't believe that such an empty shell of a game got so much success.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I don't mind the mechanic. It forced having to make due with shit you had. There were times I was out of passable weapons I liked in a harder fight, and this forced me to improvise with weapons and shit I usually wouldn't have to.

Plus, it's not like there's a lack of weapons in BOTW. Going through with the same weapon all game (including a repair mechanic) would be slightly more boring IMO. BOTW is a long ass game to be using the same weapon with the same swing patterns all game. If ANYTHING, just make shields last longer (and make the Hylian shield unbreakable).
Yeah I felt the same. Someone compared it to ammo and it’s accurate, it’s like going through ammo of weapons you pick up. It gives more meaning to exploration, encourages experimentation and it makes sense out of the weapon slots, instead of the plain old 1 sword system of old style Zeldas.

Thaedolus

To me the biggest problem in this game, despite the lack of dungeons and the emptiness of the world (which are already huge problems), is a total lack of player progression.

The progression (heart, armors reinforcement) feels extremely artificial, like it was added on top of the game at the end. Everything needs to be redone on this side of things.

Dungeons need to have set enemies and the player needs to hit walls. The 4 giant creatures are totally empty, no enemies, and the bosses just scale more or less, they are totally forgettable. And this applies to the game world. If you remove the small boost in health at the end, all shrines are rendered totally useless. So why explore ? How do you give the player a reason to explore and progress, if nothing meaningful is ever to be found ? You never find an item, an upgrade are anything that actually opens up what you can do.

Overall, I found BotW extremely lacking on this side. The main quests are interesting because they advance the story, but outside from them, there is not much to find, and it will never give anything that changes your vision and opportunities in the world. Everything is set in stone at the very beginning, with all items given to you at once. You never think to yourself "Oh I can't go there yet, I should come back later" with whatever item, or simply when you will be better equipped.

They need to add a decent progression in terms of world traversal and difficulty. Honestly, I still can't believe that such an empty shell of a game got so much success.

I’m not sure I follow. Throughout the game there are limiting factors such as cold or hot zones, or places you need enough stamina to get to, etc., and you are often rewarded for getting to those places. No, there’s nothing like a hookshot or hammer to get you into places previously inaccessible, but you are limited by your abilities in the beginning, and they progress as you finish shrines. Then, exploration leads to new armor and rewards that can be used to upgrade your stuff. Maybe it didn’t feel natural enough or something, but for me nothing feels better than wondering what that giant maze like structure is, figuring out how to get there and then finding some badass new armor that’s strong against ancient weapons or whatever. It wasn’t a game of constant huge rewards for exploration, but just enough that exploration was fun and kept me interested without turning me into an overpowered death machine. For me it was a great balance

I agree, I doubt it will be as huge as the first game. But let´s not forget that Nintendo are known to keep surprises. Remember Mario Odyssey where the capture mechanic was kept secret until E3 a few months before release? That one announcement changed the perception of the game entirely. I would not be surprised if BOTW2 offers something similiar. For instance: what if Link kinda gets posessed by Ganondorf and needs to work with him in order to beat the bigger villain? That would introduce quite a few layers, both gameplay and plot-wise which would generate lots of hype. Just throwing random ideas around but I´m sure you get the point.

Oh they're doing something for sure. Your idea sounds very cool, I hope they do something like Link turning into a fucking Kaiju, roaming Hyrule and fighting some big ones King of Monsters style. I hope we can play as Zelda and not for some stupid Resetera reason, but because it would be so cool to play as a mage. There's so many things they can do, BOTW is a really sound foundation. I just don't expect a radical shift from the first one like Majora was.

cireza

Banned
for me nothing feels better than wondering what that giant maze like structure is, figuring out how to get there
The sense of exploration is the high point of the game, I am certainly not denying that fact. It is also true that stamina is a bit of a limiting factor.

But the armor you get is not a game-changer. It is simply another armor, and pretty much any armor bought in whatever store will do just as well once upgraded. And this is actually the best rewards to be found when exploring the world, armor sets. Most of the time, you won't find much. A shrine or a poop and that's it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
God no, so make it like Ubisoft did Farcry Primal and just reuse the map to rush it out?

I want a smaller, new map and them to have actual dungeons again.

cireza cireza THANK YOU! I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that issue. That might be one of the most boring open worlds I've played in years with so much filler. They can do better. I don't want those bad copy paste dungeons.

Yes actual dungeons. The shrine shit was boring and repetitive asf to me, as were the bosses (divine beasts bored me).

Thaedolus

The sense of exploration is the high point of the game, I am certainly not denying that fact.

But the armor you get is not a game-changer. It is simply another armor, and pretty much any armor bought in whatever store will do just as well once upgraded. And this is actually the best rewards to be found when exploring the world, armor sets. Most of the time, you won't find much. A shrine or a poop and that's it.

I’m not sure that’s true? The base armor stat is one factor you can upgrade but the ancient armor, for example, is strong against Ganon bosses and guardians, while others are strong against heat or cold, etc

cireza

Banned
I’m not sure that’s true? The base armor stat is one factor you can upgrade but the ancient armor, for example, is strong against Ganon bosses and guardians, while others are strong against heat or cold, etc
It does not make a huge difference honestly. I upgraded a pretty standard armor that gives no particular attribute, and I am pretty sure it is the most resistant in the game. And it is a standard armor you can buy in the first village I think.

StormCell

Oh they're doing something for sure. Your idea sounds very cool, I hope they do something like Link turning into a fucking Kaiju, roaming Hyrule and fighting some big ones King of Monsters style. I hope we can play as Zelda and not for some stupid Resetera reason, but because it would be so cool to play as a mage. There's so many things they can do, BOTW is a really sound foundation. I just don't expect a radical shift from the first one like Majora was.

Yeah, all the other champions have got their Zords. Where is Link's Zord, dammit?? He needs some kinda big dragon that lumbers around on its hind legs and swings its tail to do lots of damage! He could call it with his ocarina. It would be badass!

Yeah, all the other champions have got their Zords. Where is Link's Zord, dammit?? He needs some kinda big dragon that lumbers around on its hind legs and swings its tail to do lots of damage! He could call it with his ocarina. It would be badass!

BOTW is ripe for really overpowered gameplay elements that break the game in awesome ways. Nintendo needs to take advantage of that.

ExpandKong

Banned

The bolded part got a chuckle from me. "If you remove the reward you get for completing shrines, then there's no incentive to complete shrines."

You. Don't. Say.

Other than that, each shrine has at least one treasure chest in it, typically with some above average gear or loot, occasionally with a new piece of armor.

You're effectively barred off from certain areas, it's just in a more organic way than "oh you can't explore this quadrant of the map until you get the hookshot" like in past games (which is not to say those games are worse for it). You learn to avoid areas heavy with guardians early on because they will one-shot you until you get some better gear or really get the hang of the combat. The desert will kill you unless you have some way to counteract the heat during the day and the freeze during the night, and you can do that with different clothing sets, special foods and potions you can make or buy, carrying the right elemental weapon, etc. It's goofy but it also feels natural in the game world.

And the best part is you really aren't prohibited from doing those things anyway if you really want to. Subsequent playthroughs can be more varied when you're not afraid to go straight to Hyrule Castle to loot the place right off the plateau, for example.

It's easy to say there aren't any considerable obstacles that affect your progression through this world now that we're more than two years removed from the game's release and everyone knows the ins and outs of how everything works.

All that said, I hope the sequel has more enemy variety and maybe some for-reals dungeons.

GymWolf

Yep, sense of progression is shit in this game, after 10 hours you already have all the gadgets and from there is a dump of life, stamina, breakable weapons and armour with the same effects of food.

I hope for a huge overhaul in the next game.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
"If you remove the reward you get for completing shrines, then there's no incentive to complete shrines."
Why not make 500 shrines instead and only gain 1/20 of a heart each time ? See the problem here ?

There are some shrines with armor sets and that's the best you will ever find. Otherwise, in the chests in the shrines, you will get some material or weapons you can already find everywhere, and that you don't need anyway to complete the game at all.

I mean, go and visit the castle at the very beginning of the game and you are good, you will be full of the best weapons etc...

I was already talking about these design problems shortly after the game was released by the way. I simply they do something about it.

ExpandKong

Banned
Why not make 500 shrines instead and only gain 1/20 of a heart each time ? See the problem here ?

Not really...the numbers you came up with here are ridiculous, yes. But those are more than triple the numbers required in the game that released. Like, yeah having to do 20 shrines to get one heart or stamina upgrade would be too much. But you only have to do four.

And you can exchange heart upgrades for stamina upgrades and vice-versa at the statue in Hateno village if you don't want to bother chasing down more shrines to do something in particular.

Or you can temporarily extend either of those meters with food and potions, so other than needing 13 permanent hearts to get the Master Sword (which again, you can just swap any stamina upgrades you've gotten for heart tanks to speed that along too) you really don't even have to do a ton of shrines for any reason if you don't want to.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Collin

Banned

I can’t think of a source less reputable than 4chan. Like holy shit. Any publication that makes an entire article based on a 4chan rumor should not be in the journalism game. What an embarrassment.

I like that they claim “many of the assertions align with the trailer Nintendo debuted at E3 2019.” Like yeah, no shit. All that proves is the the bozo who made then 4chan post also watched the trailer, just like everybody else. Journalism is dead.

GeorgPrime

Banned
2020 makes a lot of sense.

-If holiday, over three and a half years since 2017 (the DLC wasn’t that ambitious to be taking up the entire team’s attention)
-Same engine
-Same assets (?)
-Working with an existing Hyrule
-A bomb to drop alongside the launch of new consoles

That all lines up really well.

I just hope they get rid of the "Copy and Paste Shrines" or reduce them a lot and focus on better themed endboss dungeons.

And add more individual stuff like smaller side quests that are based on the lore and not just "100 Korok Seeds"

Better do it right instead of just betting on that the "BotW Novelty" still works. Iam sure its not going to work twice just doing the same. Many people bought BotW but were disappointed with it afterwards.

More individual stuff would even enhance the discoery factor of just roaming around Hyrule and trying to find stuff.

Last edited:
I would assume this and a Pro Switch *could* be ready to go in late 2020 to combat next gen launches.

However, given the news given / leaked so far about the Series X & PS5 being so vanilla I would think a delay is absolutely on the cards.

They may as well release BOTW2 when the new consoles pick up steam.

Meesh

This will 100% get delayed but I'd love to be wrong.
I'm only curious. Was Majoras delayed? By how much? It's only a very loose comparison, I was just wondering being that both BotW2 and Majoras reuse assets. I mean there could be numerous reasons why BotW2 is delayed, I'm just stupid hopeful for a 2020 release and E3 bomb. Perhaps it's a winter/Christmas launch?

Arkam

I'm only curious. Was Majoras delayed? By how much? It's only a very loose comparison, I was just wondering being that both BotW2 and Majoras reuse assets. I mean there could be numerous reasons why BotW2 is delayed, I'm just stupid hopeful for a 2020 release and E3 bomb. Perhaps it's a winter/Christmas launch?

Been a long time, but I do not remember if it was delayed or not. Just that it was released right near the PS2 launch. as a counter. And it worked on me, bought MM at launch and PS2 months later when GT3 released.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Been a long time, but I do not remember if it was delayed or not. Just that it was released right near the PS2 launch. as a counter. And it worked on me, bought MM at launch and PS2 months later when GT3 released.
Yeah. Majora's Mask and the PS2 came out on the same day. October 26th 2000..

JSoup

Banned
I really hope this gets fully unveiled at E3... with a Holiday 2020 release date.

What it be Miyamoto being a clever bitch again.
"Ha, you liked that? Well, we have release scheduled for.....RIGHT NOW!"
And then just pulls out a potato cannon filled with Switch cartridges of the new game, knocks over a desert stand in all the commotion and peaces out back to Japan.

ultrazilla

He forgot the part about your horse being able to take dumps and villagers can slip and fall in them. The guy's source is SPOT on!

giphy.gif

tr1p1ex

you know i wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be accurate. The game was meant to release for Wii U and seemed to be held back to launch it on Switch at the same time as well change the inventory system for the Switch. So they could have been working on this one in some fashion for a good 3 years already. And then given they can reuse the same open world tech they made for it. It's a believable rumor at least.

Arkam

Where is Nintendo with a stealth drop of a Zelda trailer and release announcement to steal all MS/Sony hype?

TwistedSyn

Wait.......Tyler McVicker? You mean the same Tyler of Valve News Network? When the hell did he start doing Nintendo stuff?
I am subbed to his channel but, I have never seen him cover anything Nintendo.

Edit: Looks like he has been mentioning this in his streams which I don't usually watch. Good on him for wanting to branch out more.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

No new info there; all of these predictions can be assumed after watching the teaser trailer from last E3, which showed no Shiekah towers, and a lot of Ganon(dorf) imagery. Seeing as to how BotW let you go straight to the final boss, there is no doubt that the sequel will be more linear. With the game confirmed to be reusing the same overworld, of course the locations will be developed more this time, and we already saw a dungeon entrance in the trailer.

And yes, Aonuma (or someone working on the Zelda team) stated that the team has been playing a lot of RDR2.

hyperbertha

Well, Aonuma himself said BotW 2 was initially DLC that they later decided to expand into a new game... there's a good chance they already had a bunch of stuff done other than the engine and models, so I don't think 2020 is impossible.

Hopefully February 2020
Source?

StormCell

just make it exclusive for switch 2 at this point...

You're not wrong, but I'm kinda hoping that Switch will play a lot of Switch 2 games with lowered visuals and vice versa. It would mean committing to a hardware architecture that has a future, though.

Moses85

I don’t get it. MM was a masterpiece and was released so god dam fast.
The team behind the BotW Sequel is huge, what the heck is wrong?

StormCell

I don’t get it. MM was a masterpiece and was released so god dam fast.
The team behind the BotW Sequel is huge, what the heck is wrong?

Everything takes a lot longer nowadays because of visual fidelity. It's taking additional years just to get all the assets and visuals to look right, I suppose. It's all just a lot bigger.

Shaqazooloo

Can't say I agree with Arlo entirely but I do think he has a point.

The way I see it, with big titles it's not so much about the reveal to release gap as its about the FULL reveal to release gap.

With Nintendo's holiday titles you get a reveal early in the year and then a full reveal around E3 with release date. This is true for Odyssey, Smash/Let's Go, and Sword and Shield. I remember an interview with Nintendo which implied that Nintendo didn't consider Odysseys initial reveal as the actual reveal rather the E3 was the reveal and I think more examples of this exist like perhaps 3D World.

BotW2 was already revealed so the next step would be the full reveal at E3 for release this holiday. It's kind of the only game that really meets the requirements of a holiday title right now because of the Mini Direct not having anything.

I'm still not sure on the possibility of it but I'm able to see as something that might happen with BotW2.

Top Bottom