• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild 2 planned for 2020

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yeah, that's what I was expecting... I mean, they're re-using the engine and the assets. And it's not even a Majora's Mask situation, they're literally re-using the same setting as well..

Couldn't take longer than two years or so, and they probably have been working on it for more than a year now..

Last edited:

Thurible

I assume so, since it's a direct sequel.

Probably put a spin on it or something. Like a dark version.
I would hope they would make some changes to the overworld, perhaps Hyrule will be less dilapidated as it is going under a reconstruction. Though I liked A Link Between Worlds I thought the mirroring of most of A Link to the Past's overworld wasn't very creative (the wall bits were however) and I worry that this game could have a similar problem.

Last edited:

EDMIX

BotW development began right after Skyward Sword. Perhaps if they re-use a lot of the same assets (like the map) they'll be able to get it out the door, but I think this is likely a late-generation Switch release (just like Skyward Sword was a late gen Wii release).

I'm not gonna turn my nose up at a 2020 BotW, though. :messenger_beaming:

God no, so make it like Ubisoft did Farcry Primal and just reuse the map to rush it out?

I want a smaller, new map and them to have actual dungeons again.

cireza cireza THANK YOU! I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that issue. That might be one of the most boring open worlds I've played in years with so much filler. They can do better. I don't want those bad copy paste dungeons.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
God no, so make it like Ubisoft did Farcry Primal and just reuse the map to rush it out?

I want a smaller, new map and them to have actual dungeons again.

cireza cireza THANK YOU! I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that issue. That might be one of the most boring open worlds I've played in years with so much filler. They can do better. I don't want those bad copy paste dungeons.
What seems plausible to me is they'll reuse the BotW map but heavily amend it with exactly the sort of dungeons that were missing. I could be dead wrong, but the reason why I suggest this is because it appears to take place directly after the events of the first game. Wouldn't be surprised if we revisited the same old areas but changed in some way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What seems plausible to me is they'll reuse the BotW map but heavily amend it with exactly the sort of dungeons that were missing. I could be dead wrong, but the reason why I suggest this is because it appears to take place directly after the events of the first game. Wouldn't be surprised if we revisited the same old areas but changed in some way.

They can always do it like RDR2 where you’re in a new land, but it can take you back to a good part of the first game. Minus being a prequel of course.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i hope to god they replace that damned durability system with a system that actually lets you keep your weapons for more than 5 minutes
"the sword of the gods
using the amazing ancient powers of the triforce and amazing sword forgers, this sword is one of the best swords of all time-AND ITS BROKEN SORRY BUDDY"
Like do something where the more you use the weapons the less damage they do
just don't take it away from us just like that

Fbh

Late 2020 would definitely be a good move to stay relevant during the Ps5 and Nextbox launches.
The engine is built and unlike most main entries this seems to be a direct sequel so it should come along faster.

Reactions: Isa

Shaqazooloo

I guess it wouldn't be to crazy, Nintendo wants to release atleast one Zelda game a year, I'm guessing this will be it, unless they manage to get the mobile game out but even then I think they'd want the console game out.

Last edited:
I guess it wouldn't be to crazy, Nintendo wants to release atleast one Zelda game a year, I'm guessing this will be it, unless they manage to get the mobile game out but even then I think they'd want the console game out.
Feels more like a DLC rebranded as sequel, gotta offer something next gen around the corner.

-Arcadia-

Banned
There seems to be a little confusion, so yes, the world of the original is confirmed to come back in some way.
"One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story," he says.

Thaedolus

People really like to jump to unfounded conclusions ITT...1) that it'll be the same map...c'mon, even A Link Between Worlds didn't feel like a total retread. They'll almost certainly be pulling off some sort of time travel/other world mechanic to give them freedom to move on from a straight up BotW map from the end of the previous. 2) that Nintendo can't put out a new game in 3 years? This one is even sillier to me. The tools for a direct sequel to BotW are built. Getting all the mechanics in the game right was what took them so damn long, creating the content to run in the engine is the easier part. They probably started on it before BotW even came out, and probably have a lot of stuff that got left out of the original to scavenge from to boot.

I would be as disappointed as everyone if this really did turn out to be a map pack/expansion type situation, but I really doubt they're going for that in a full on $60 sequel. I bet the engine is better optimized for Switch and they go nuts with all the new systems they fleshed out in the first game. I know people complained about the length of the DLC content in the first game, but I loved what was in it. More stuff like those master sword trials would be awesome.

Thaedolus

Think of weapons like ammo. That got me over the mechanic, though repair would be nice since it’s almost the same thing but lets you keep something you’re attached to.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
That would be amazing. I still have to play Link's Awakening. I've only played like 20 min of the original one for the GameBoy

Majora´s Mask, anyone?

I can obviously see the parallels, but that's probably setting the expectations too high. Majora's Mask is one of the best games of all time and managed to put a legit discussion between it and goddamn Ocarina of Time. We should probably expect BOTW 2 to be more like Metroid Prime 2 in that it's a fantastic sequel, but not quite the singular event that was the first one.

Isa

Gold Member
I'd been holding off on trying to beat BotW since I figured another proper entry would be years away, and slowly chipping away at it ever since. When BotW 2 was announced and looked so cool I had to find time to jump back in. This last weekend I beat my first Divine Beast because there is soooooo much to see and do. I agree about the durability, we should be able to repair, and weapons shouldn't break so damn quick. But the immediacy of survival during a fight can be hectic and fun. Also proper dungeons would be nice. I love the darker tone for the sequel and hope they capitalize on it. Majora's Mask is a classic, and a pretty fine Death Metal album was released that was a huge love letter to the lore in that game. A holiday 2020 release would pull me away from next gen, at least for a little while.

jadedm17

Translation : Itll release in 2020! Or later! Definitely 2021 or 2022 maybe 2023 or 2024!..

Cool thanks for the non info it exists and we can play it at a time.

Codes 208

I can obviously see the parallels, but that's probably setting the expectations too high. Majora's Mask is one of the best games of all time and managed to put a legit discussion between it and goddamn Ocarina of Time. We should probably expect BOTW 2 to be more like Metroid Prime 2 in that it's a fantastic sequel, but not quite the singular event that was the first one.
I imagine he meant in the development side. Majoras mask was made in a short time because Aonuma was challenged to make a game in a set time, so he had to reuse a ton of assets of ocarina of time.

botw2 looks to be taking place in the same hyrule was some possible changes. On one hand you could say this is half-assing it, but on the other hand botw2 could be comingout in half the time that botw was developed for.

I imagine he meant in the development side. Majoras mask was made in a short time because Aonuma was challenged to make a game in a set time, so he had to reuse a ton of assets of ocarina of time.

botw2 looks to be taking place in the same hyrule was some possible changes. On one hand you could say this is half-assing it, but on the other hand botw2 could be comingout in half the time that botw was developed for.

Yeah I get what he was saying. Still, another Majora isn't automatic and shouldn't be seen as such. It was a radical shift from OoT, it's more likely this one will be more of refinement/rehash like Super Mario Galaxy 2.

imsosleepy

if we get horses again.. Please just let me summon my horse where ever I am instead of needing to go to a stable.. the amount of running around u had to do was really annoying

Rodolink

if we get horses again.. Please just let me summon my horse where ever I am instead of needing to go to a stable.. the amount of running around u had to do was really annoying
I wanted to go back to my save file. And was whistling for the horse wondering why the heck she didn't come. I stopped playing.
Totally forgot that xD

jts

...hate me...
I don’t want them to get rid of the weapon degradation mechanic, that was pretty dope, but I want to be able to store more of them in a safe house and/or able to order from a shop weapons you have already catalogued, paying with rupees or materials.

Arachnid

I don’t want them to get rid of the weapon degradation mechanic, that was pretty dope, but I want to be able to store more of them in a safe house and/or able to order from a shop weapons you have already catalogued, paying with rupees or materials.
Yeah, I don't mind the mechanic. It forced having to make due with shit you had. There were times I was out of passable weapons I liked in a harder fight, and this forced me to improvise with weapons and shit I usually wouldn't have to.

Plus, it's not like there's a lack of weapons in BOTW. Going through with the same weapon all game (including a repair mechanic) would be slightly more boring IMO. BOTW is a long ass game to be using the same weapon with the same swing patterns all game. If ANYTHING, just make shields last longer (and make the Hylian shield unbreakable).

Last edited:
Reactions: jts

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t mind lesser weapons breaking so quickly, but the big bummer to me, was finding some legendary flaming sword or something, as a reward for skilled play, then having it break a couple of swings later.

That felt really, really deflating. At least let me keep my new toy for a while, and maybe repair it at a large cost.

ultrazilla

If the Zelda developers got ANYTHING from the fan's feedback, it has to be the utter shit show the "weapon degradation mechanic" was.

Let's hope it's changed/completely removed from the sequel.

Top Bottom