• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild has sold more than 16 million copies worldwide.

woigemok

Banned
Last known number
Switch version = 14.54m (30 September)
Wii U version = 1.61m (31 December 2018)

Switch Version leg
2017 = 6.70m
2018= 4.98m
2019(3 quarters) = 2.86m

Based on the sales trajectory of the past quarters, 20m is the floor for Zelda BOTW and could potentially reach 22-24m at the end of its life.
Great comeback from the Zelda team after Skyward Sword commercial failures at 3.67m copies sold.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dang, Zelda is back.

I wish they had kept and expanded on the lock-on style of combat they pioneered as it was so sweet and refined (and still popular, see Souls) but other than that it seems it was just what the series needed. They haven't achieved such numbers since OoT (or ever, if you don't count the 3DS port).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. Well-deserved if you ask me. I loved it for the first 30 hours or so, then kind of fell off and cooled on it for a while. Then a year later I came back and really put a ton of time into it, doing all of the shrines, DLC, and just about everything other than collect all of the Korok Seeds. If it clicks, it really is just a fantastic game. Definitely in my top three of the generation right now.

woigemok

Banned
Dang, Zelda is back. I wish they had kept and expanded on the lock-on style of combat they pioneered as it was so sweet and refined (and still popular, see Souls) but other than that it seems to have been just what the series needed. They haven't achieved such numbers since Ocarina of Time.
They did with Twilight Princess.

Very unpopular opinion: BotW is the most overrated game of this generation. Undeniably pretty but in terms of gameplay I found it mechanically dull and tedious.

I don't think it is entirely overrated. But I think the Ivory Tower-praise that it cannot be touched is laughable. Bloodstained keep me more engaged and involved, but I won't be the one to shit on BOTW's achievements.
I found it mechanically superior to a lot of games and the fact there was a near-go-anywhere type of feel to exploration. They just need to dump the repetitive shit for BOTW II and give us some proper, memorable dungeons.

Also, don't go super hard on the puzzles, those have been fine. Give us some real, difficult combat situations, and enemies to deal with. Give us more enemy types, and not just reskins.
Rebalance weapon durability, and give us a memorable soundtrack. That is all I ask.

Bring back some stuff from LOZ, if possible. Everything else is a bonus and would be my personal contender for GOAT.

Codes 208

Great comeback from the Zelda team after Skyward Sword commercial failures at 3.67m copies sold.
3.7 million sales is a commercial failure? Dont even third party games strive to come close to those numbers?
Not last I checked. We're talking millions here, even a handful of those as a difference is a LOT, lol.
10 mil vs 8 mil isnt exactly that huge of a difference.

Last edited:

Alexios

3.7 million sales is a commercial failure? Dont even third party games strive to come close to those numbers?

10 mil vs 8 mil isnt exactly that huge of a difference.
What? It's 16, not 10. Right in the thread title.

Last edited:

Alexios

Im referring to OoT vs TP, which i assume was your point
Okay. Well the numbers I got show OoT over 13 and TP at less than 10 so I thought it makes a tangible difference in how close they are to BOTW. But if these numbers are wrong okay then, neither is "these numbers" so it's a first for the series.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Okay. Well the numbers I got show OoT over 13 and TP at less than 10 so I thought it makes a tangible difference in how close they are to BOTW. But if these numbers are wrong okay then, neither is "these numbers" so it's a first for the series.
After rechecking, If your source is the one im looking at, thats the combination of both the standard and 3ds remake. OoT has only sold 7.6 putting it under TP’s 8.8

I don't think it is entirely overrated. But I think the Ivory Tower-praise that it cannot be touched is laughable. Bloodstained keep me more engaged and involved, but I won't be the one to shit on BOTW's achievements.
I found it mechanically superior to a lot of games and the fact there was a near-go-anywhere type of feel to exploration. They just need to dump the repetitive shit for BOTW II and give us some proper, memorable dungeons.

Also, don't go super hard on the puzzles, those have been fine. Give us some real, difficult combat situations, and enemies to deal with. Give us more enemy types, and not just reskins.
Rebalance weapon durability, and give us a memorable soundtrack. That is all I ask.

Bring back some stuff from LOZ, if possible. Everything else is a bonus and would be my personal contender for GOAT.
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I liked it enough to put in 70 or 80 hours and do all the DLC, alot of the side quests and 90 odd shrines. It's just that at the end I was tired of it. It well overstayed its welcome. and by that point shit like the combat basically boiling down to dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam...dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam, the paper mache weapons, the visual homogeneity of the shrines and divine beasts, and sudden rain storms while I was halfway up a cliff face, had been getting on my nerves for 30-40 odd hours. In short...I was glad it was over and I can't see myself ever going back.

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I liked it enough to put in 70 or 80 hours and do all the DLC, alot of the side quests and 90 odd shrines. It's just that at the end I was tired of it. It well overstayed its welcome. and by that point shit like the combat basically boiling down to dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam...dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam, the paper mache weapons, the visual homogeneity of the shrines and divine beasts, and sudden rain storms while I was halfway up a cliff face, had been getting on my nerves for 30-40 odd hours. In short...I was glad it was over and I can't see myself ever going back.
Dude no one gives a shit about your opinions here, if you really wanted to talk about your experience with Zelda BOTW go create another topic about it. This is the thread for the sales ffs.

DonF

Awesome zelda game. I hope that nintendo can make better dungeons next time. All the beast and the shrines....having the same style and art direction was kinda lame and repetitive....

but overall, great game. Fantastic world. Well deserved.

Dude no one gives a shit about your opinions here, if you really wanted to talk about your experience with Zelda BOTW go create another topic about it. This is the thread for the sales ffs.
You don't seem to care about others sharing their opinions when they agree with the general consensus. What's wrong? You're trying to put it on an "Ivory-Tower" and I'm ruining it? Well too fucking bad. I don't give a shit whether or not you care about my opinions. I'm free to share them, and share them I shall. And you can just cry yourself to sleep if you don't like it.

Bodatan

Banned
You don't seem to care about others sharing their opinions when they agree with the general consensus. What's wrong? You're trying to put it on an "Ivory-Tower" and I'm ruining it? Well too fucking bad. I don't give a shit whether or not you care about my opinions. I'm free to share them, and share them I shall. And you can just cry yourself to sleep if you don't like it.
Pls go bitching on gamefaqs then.

Back to the topic, I think BOTW could end up more than 25m if Nintendo aggressive with their pricing.

They did for the original released
rCqNVVl.png

Wow, that's a very enlightening graph. Amazing how there's some balance between the heavy hitters, there's always 3-4 games between them and all four of them have some kind of reason for selling that well. The original is obviously the original one, then there's the highly acclaimed 3D title that might be GOAT, then there's the homage and return to that style and then there's a best of kind of deal: it's a return to the original formula, it's also a highly acclaimed 3D title that might be GOAT and a homage to the series legacy.

Amazing how Nintendo seems to be able to keep this going for as long as they have been. They never quite reboot the series because it's a clear constant evolution (aside from some minor missteps) and they're also not afraid to take risks and change the formula. And it's always a hit (again, aside from some minor missteps... And I quite like Skyward Sword if I'm being honest).

I would assume it's success will mean a bigger budget for the next one. This one being totally designed for switch and not a port like BotW is swesoms. Let's see if they can keep the ball rolling.

God Enel

Very unpopular opinion: BotW is the most overrated game of this generation. Undeniably pretty but in terms of gameplay I found it mechanically dull and tedious.

I agree. Though the artstyle is awesome.
the thing thats annoying me the most is the constant weapon switching. You find a good weapon after two enemies you have to go back to your old shitass stick, because the shit is broken.

though I’m happy for Zelda and I’m glad people enjoy it 👍🏼

Last edited:

Thurible

Interesting, I knew it was popular but not that popular. I only hope that they bring back some of the older elements for the sequel (expansive dungeons instead of shrines, different bosses, getting new items that you learn how to properly utilize in the dungeon, etc).

woigemok

Banned

Of course, it was a flop. For AAA budget Nintendo game that number was nothing but a failure for Nintendo and Zelda brand. It was for the first time ever Anouma and his team reached the fans for the feedback in order to create BOTW after Skyward Sword's negative trajectory.

Alexios

Of course, it was a flop. For AAA budget Nintendo game that number was nothing but a failure for Nintendo and Zelda brand. It was for the first time ever Anouma and his team reached the fans for the feedback in order to create BOTW after Skyward Sword's negative trajectory.
Actually for budget all we know is it was "quite high for a nintendo game" which doesn't at all necessarily have to equate to "aaa budget".

This is the calibre of game that will be remade many times as the decades go by. If you somehow skipped the Switch (don't know why you would) there will be many opportunities to play BotW as it gets remakes and remasters on various platforms with whatever new technology game consoles use in the distant future.

We'll be projecting holograms of it everywhere or beaming it into our brains at some point.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Actually for budget all we know is it was "quite high for a nintendo game" which doesn't at all necessarily have to equate to "aaa budget".
On top of this, I would call it flunk due to its low sales on a the system with the highest install base, but i seriously doubt the game’s development costs far exceed sales. I’ll definitely agree it sold like shit compared to the triad that is BotW, OoT and TP but overall it seems relatively on average with the other titles.

woigemok

Banned
Of course, that's what I meant by the AAA budget like other 3d Zelda and 3d Mario. Skyward Sword sales in 100m install base were nothing but a commercial flop.

woigemok

Banned
You're the first that started it. I don't care even if your parents are overrated or underrated by your family standard just go expressing your experience somewhere else instead of turning this thread into another shit show.

Last edited:
You entered this thread with this statement " the most overrated game in this generation " it's equal to shoving your penis into your neighbor car exhaust pipe and stated you have no intention of causing trouble.
And I clearly prefaced it by stating that it was my opinion. It's not my problem you can't take dissenting opinions. I'm not a huge fan of BotW. I think it's wildly overrated. I don't think it's deserving of the unbridled praise it receives.
You're free to disagree. You're not free to shut me up because I don't agree with you. Get over it.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Game of the generation, so far. I really wish Nintendo would stick to one AAA Zelda per generation. BotW sequel will be hard pressed, on the current hardware, to live up to the original without significant improvements.

woigemok

Banned
And I clearly prefaced it by stating that it was my opinion. It's not my problem you can't take dissenting opinions. I'm not a huge fan of BotW. I think it's wildly overrated. I don't think it's deserving of the unbridled praise it receives.
You're free to disagree. You're not free to shut me up because I don't agree with you. Get over it.
You came into this thread without any intention of discussing about the sales of the game not only that you tried to divert the topic from the sales to Metacritic score of Zelda by using basic shit like " In my opinion, everything else you like is overrated " as your flame shield.

There's no correlation of good game sales with your opinion but there's certainly a definitive connection between good sales from a good game.

You came into this thread without any intention of discussing about the sales of the game not only that you tried to divert the topic from the sales to Metacritic score of Zelda by using basic shit like " In my opinion, everything else you like is overrated " as your flame shield.

There's no correlation of good game sales with your opinion but there's certainly a definitive connection between good sales from a good game.
Again, other people are discussing their opinions, you're clearly only taking umbridge with me because I disagree with the general consensus. The irony of saying I was trying to divert the topic is palpable. Until you decided to reply to me again I wasn't even paying attention to this thread. I posted my opinion, clarified it, told you that no, I'm not going to self-censor because you don't want to hear it, then went on my merry way. The only reason we're still discussing this now is because you won't take "no, fuck off telling me not to express my opinion" as an answer.

imsosleepy

dude, the amount of things mechanically you could do was just insane together with their physics engine!
Those shrines you could complete in so many ways, being able to climb every fucking mountaint withouth going to certain grip points and then being able to fly off it was just amazing.

Dam

ROMhack

I can see why people don't like BotW, it's a lot less action-packed than other Zelda games. Most of the game is exploration, take your time, enjoy the scenery kind of thing.

Very my jam but maybe not others jam.

Raspberry > strawberry jam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom