• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild has sold more than 16 million copies worldwide.

OrochiJR

Well deserved, it certainly added to the Switch's Initial success. I personally found the game "just" good and not the GOTG others make it out to be. After ~50 hours and about 50 shrines I finished the story.

I kinda have the urge to revisit the game to play the DLC and do more shrines/sidequests, but then some aspects really pissed me off to no end. Like the weapons made of cheap plastic that break at the faintest breeze and that it always happens to rain when you want to climb a big-ass mountain. These aspects are not fun or challenging, just tedious and drag the game down (for me).

I did like the game very much from the visual design and the music. It's really beautiful in that regard.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm only about half way through the game at the moment but it's my favourite open world game and the first Zelda game that I've really stuck with/am determined to finish.

I don't usually play games like this which may be why it scored so many 10s. It's a game that transcends genre and people can enjoy regardless of whether they usually play that kind of game or not. Even my gf likes it and she's pretty casual (mainly only plays 2D playfomers, Overwatch and puzle games like Tetris).

PocoJoe

Banned
Very unpopular opinion: BotW is the most overrated game of this generation. Undeniably pretty but in terms of gameplay I found it mechanically dull and tedious.

I would say that Super mario Odyssey is the most over rated game. Boring, repetitive and not fun to play at all.

Zelda aint perfect either, but it is ok. Still should be 8/10 because of technical limitations and other minor things.

I mostly disliked the "musics" and how tedious it is to do all the shrines when they give you zero challenge by being way too easy

My theory is that Zelda sells so much because there werent much of good AA games to play on switch for the first 1-2 years, and situation is still kind of the same:

99% of switch games are donkey poop so those few that have some quality are the easiest choises to buy.

While on ps4 there are so many AA-games & good 3rd party multiplatforms that it can be hard to choose from all of them

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I would say that Super mario Odyssey is the most over rated game. Boring, repetitive and not fun to play at all.

Zelda aint perfect either, but it is ok. Still should be 8/10 because of technical limitations and other minor things.

I mostly disliked the "musics" and how tedious it is to do all the shrines when they give you zero challenge by being way too easy

My theory is that Zelda sells so much because there werent much of good AA games to play on switch for the first 1-2 years, and situation is still kind of the same:

99% of switch games are donkey poop so those few that have some quality are the easiest choises to buy.

While on ps4 there are so many AA-games & good 3rd party multiplatforms that it can be hard to choose from all of them

This post makes perfect sense...to a deranged nut man like myself anyway.
Well done chum.

Bodatan

Banned

Good games like days gone and death stranding which are rated lower than fe3h, mm2, lm3, and astral chain. Kek 😂🤣

SantaC

dude, the amount of things mechanically you could do was just insane together with their physics engine!
Those shrines you could complete in so many ways, being able to climb every fucking mountaint withouth going to certain grip points and then being able to fly off it was just amazing.

Dam
The rewards were terrible and the enemies the same.

woigemok

Banned

PS4 console is primarily used for rockstar games, new cod games, and new ea games.
D7wCz_ZUwAAJzJA.jpg

nearly identical to Xbone list
D7wDFo0UEAAk--O.jpg

Rodolink

Makes me want to go back in. But still hesitant to do the full Korok seed quest... Has someone here done that? how many hours took you?

The Shepard

The game would be alot better if your weapon didn't break every five minutes! That needs to go in the direct sequel and replaced, it became monotonous. I did complete it and enjoyed it in the end but the game is not without its faults.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forwards to the sequel. Hopefully it'll fix a lot of the issues I had with it. I enjoyed exploring and finding and doing shrines and such, but the story didn't grab me at all. Felt like it was hardly even there. No trail to follow, just go here, then there, and then voila, you're done. Ok?

It didn't really grab me, actually had more fun with Skyward Sword. I think what I missed the most is music. The soundtrack in botw is an insult. Good music, but nowhere nearly enough of it. It's common in open world games for some reason, but it's stupid, and it needs to stop. Not having music on in a game is only a good idea if for some reason it serves a purpose. At other times, it should be on, at all times. Music makes it far more enjoyable to run around large empty areas, because at least you're being put in a mood. Look at Greedfall. Not technically open world, but big and large areas, always with music, and fantastic music. It makes a world of difference.

I hate quiet games. They bore me, and botw was always so much more enjoyable when there was music. So yeah, I hope music gets a big comeback.

Oh, and weapon durability is dumb.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I liked it enough to put in 70 or 80 hours and do all the DLC, alot of the side quests and 90 odd shrines. It's just that at the end I was tired of it. It well overstayed its welcome. and by that point shit like the combat basically boiling down to dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam...dodge...spam-spam-spam-spam, the paper mache weapons, the visual homogeneity of the shrines and divine beasts, and sudden rain storms while I was halfway up a cliff face, had been getting on my nerves for 30-40 odd hours. In short...I was glad it was over and I can't see myself ever going back.

I felt similar and spent around the same time playing. The final boss felt somewhat satisfying, but I also feel the ending was a little weak, personally.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I did my part, and i regret greatly :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Maybe the sequel will fix some flaws and i will enjoy the game more.

iconmaster

Banned
Using this GameFaqs post that claims to be drawing from Nintendo's fiscal reports (so please check these numbers if you're in doubt -- I'll edit in corrections), and combining rereleases with their originals, I get the following list.

(in millions)
Breath of the Wild: 16.15
Ocarina of Time: 13.22
Twilight Princess: 9.8
Link to the Past: 7.43
Wind Waker: 6.73
Legend of Zelda (NES)*: 6.51
Majora’s Mask: 6.36
Link's Awakening* (not including Switch, too new): 6.05
Link Between Worlds*: 3.71
Skyward Sword: 3.67
*single version

I'm unclear whether Skyward Sword sales includes both the Wii and Wii U versions, though I don't see the Wii U version showing up in any of Nintendo's sales reports as a million-seller. That game definitely looks like an embarrassment here, given the huge Wii install base it had available to it.

NES Zelda stands out as a strong performer in spite of never being rereleased on any system.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Zelda was always about exploration and discovery. You have to be curious for this game. Takes real discipline. Cannot wait for the sequel.

Yagami_Sama

That's quite impressive.

The game is not for me, and I really tried to enjoy it like people were saying that the game was awesome and so on, but after 102 hours, I gave up.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Very unpopular opinion: BotW is the most overrated game of this generation. Undeniably pretty but in terms of gameplay I found it mechanically dull and tedious.

With how much freedom the game gives you and the variety of ways to tackle challenges, these types of posts always confuse me. Were we playing the same game? Did you do the master sword trials?

Easily top 5 games of all time IMO. First time I’ve done the full main quest in a Zelda 3 times since like OoT I think. My Switch says I’ve put 180 hours into it (probably quite a bit of idle time in there) but it’s easily my most played game of the generation. I haven’t even touched Mario Odyssey again after doing the darker side of the moon level...Zelda deserves all the sales and praise this gen.

Last edited:

Tedious is putting it mildly. It is one of those games that would work far better if it was linear instead of open world. It is also one of the least interesting worlds I explored in a game. Yeah, playing around with the physics is fun...for a while. The overall atmosphere is enjoyable...for a while. But then after a while it begins to feel like butter scraped thin on this one piece of bread. The Witcher 3, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Skyrim did open world infinitely better in my opinion. These games had far more variety and interesting locations in them.

I regard Shigeru Miyamoto's titles the vastly superior ones.

With how much freedom the game gives you and the variety of ways to tackle challenges, these types of posts always confuse me. Were we playing the same game? Did you do the master sword trials?
I did...and they were actually one of the best bits of the game, by far. They forced you to think outside the box a little and take a new approach. The rest of the game (sans one island) didn't do that. Take the shrines for example...I see some people talk about how you can use really inventive ways to beat them....okay, but if you do them as they are clearly intended to be done they boil down to the same 4 or 5 gimmicks over and over and over and over. Once you've done the 3 on the Great Plateau you've seen a not insignificant chunk of the kinds of challenges they have in store for you. Hell, there's a bunch of combat shrines where you fight exactly the same enemy with varying, environmental crap, health pools and one or more of three weapons. The world is beautiful and exploring it was its own reward for a while, but by the end of it I was over the whole thing and eventually I decided to rush to Ganon and just have it over with, I'd already done all 4 divine beasts, and was basically mopping up side content at that point. I also didn't find the story that engaging. It was passable really...and yes, I did find all the memories. Overall I don't hate it I just don't think it deserves to be worshipped like it is. It's simply...okay.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I did...and they were actually one of the best bits of the game, by far. They forced you to think outside the box a little and take a new approach. The rest of the game (sans one island) didn't do that. Take the shrines for example...I see some people talk about how you can use really inventive ways to beat them....okay, but if you do them as they are clearly intended to be done they boil down to the same 4 or 5 gimmicks over and over and over and over. Once you've done the 3 on the Great Plateau you've seen a not insignificant chunk of the kinds of challenges they have in store for you. Hell, there's a bunch of combat shrines where you fight exactly the same enemy with varying, environmental crap, health pools and one or more of three weapons. The world is beautiful and exploring it was its own reward for a while, but by the end of it I was over the whole thing and eventually I decided to rush to Ganon and just have it over with, I'd already done all 4 divine beasts, and was basically mopping up side content at that point. I also didn't find the story that engaging. It was passable really...and yes, I did find all the memories. Overall I don't hate it I just don't think it deserves to be worshipped like it is. It's simply...okay.

Eh fair enough, I agree some of it felt repetitive and finding a new shrine that’s just another tough guardian is kinda disappointing, but I found the game to be super enjoyable from the actual journey standpoint, not just the goals. It’s always fun to see something and try to get there, and the game gives you the tools to do so right away (with stamina limitations to keep it interesting).

If there’s one critique I’ll agree with is it’s not as curated an experience in many places, and that probably leads to the boredom some people had...but I found just playing the game where I was trying to go from point A to B enjoyable on its own, even between shrines and the 4 (5 with DLC) big dungeons. It was such a breath of fresh air coming from the stupid hand-holdy, motion control gimmicky nonsense of Skyward Sword too...a game I actually haven’t finished after starting and bailing 3 times

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
They forced you to think outside the box a little and take a new approach. The rest of the game (sans one island) didn't do that. Take the shrines for example...I see some people talk about how you can use really inventive ways to beat them....okay, but if you do them as they are clearly intended to be done they boil down to the same 4 or 5 gimmicks over and over and over and over
I'm confused. You are disappointed that an open-world game didn't force you to think outside the box a little and take a new approach? Most open world games don't force players to do much of anything. It is the genre's defining feature.

The option to take a different approaches is available almost immediately once you begin a new save file, and those same early tools can be used throughout the whole adventure in various ways. When it comes to the milieu of open-world games, BotW is one of the very best for players who want access to game-changing tools a.s.a.p.

Regarding the shrines, again I am confused. Shrines can be broken in a variety of ways but they can also be solved using a "traditional" method. The game offers clever players the option of breaking the puzzle (show me a previous Zelda game that did this lol) while also guiding the less-clever players toward a straightforward solution.

Last edited:

Wunray

Game was so good I bought it twice and the season pass twice as well. Congrats to one of the greatest games ever made.

I'm confused. You are disappointed that an open-world game didn't force you to think outside the box a little and take a new approach? Most open world games don't force players to do much of anything. It is the genre's defining feature.

The option to take a different approaches is available almost immediately once you begin a new save file, and those same early tools can be used throughout the whole adventure in various ways. When it comes to the milieu of open-world games, BotW is one of the very best for players who want access to game-changing tools a.s.a.p.

Regarding the shrines, again I am confused. Shrines can be broken in a variety of ways but they can also be solved using a "traditional" method. The game offers clever players the option of breaking the puzzle (show me a previous Zelda game that did this lol) while also guiding the less-clever players toward a straightforward solution.
I'm not critiquing it based upon how much you can break things. Most players just aren't going to do that. except for one or two shrines that I had no choice about I didn't (I was playing in Cemu and it still wasn't 100% perfect at that time). I can see how breaking something instead of using the traditional method can be fun, but the game never actually encourages you to do this, and the traditional method simply isn't as refined or engaging as it would be in the older titles. The dungeons of yore not only looked unique but generally made an attempt to be somewhat unique from a gameplay standpoint. Each dungeon had its "gimmick" but because each one was a single 45-60 minute experience with a boss battle at the end it ended up feeling more varied and engaging than 15-20 different shrines which all pose nearly the same gameplay challenge once you look past the different layout and addition or subtraction of various road blocks. In memory the 90 odd I did just mush together into a indistinct blur and I really couldn't remember any outstanding ones or give you examples...and that's exactly the problem.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm not critiquing it based upon how much you can break things. Most players just aren't going to do that. except for one or two shrines that I had no choice about I didn't (I was playing in Cemu and it still wasn't 100% perfect at that time). I can see how breaking something instead of using the traditional method can be fun, but the game never actually encourages you to do this, and the traditional method simply isn't as refined or engaging as it would be in the older titles. The dungeons of yore not only looked unique but generally made an attempt to be somewhat unique from a gameplay standpoint. Each dungeon had its "gimmick" but because each one was a single 45-60 minute experience with a boss battle at the end it ended up feeling more varied and engaging than 15-20 different shrines which all pose nearly the same gameplay challenge once you look past the different layout and addition or subtraction of various road blocks. In memory the 90 odd I did just mush together into a indistinct blur and I really couldn't remember any outstanding ones or give you examples...and that's exactly the problem.
To be fair, I am not a traditional Zelda fan. I only love a handful of the games even though I've played most of them. BotW is my favorite in the franchise.

In my opinion, Zelda fans are too in love with hand-holding and fake "oooh look you solved the puzzle" gameplay structure. When you shoot an arrow at a gilded eye in the center of a door, that's not solving a puzzle. The majority of Zelda puzzles throughout the franchise only require you to observe the room, consider the order of actions needed to activate Widget #553, and then the player can proceed. Solving the puzzle in a Zelda game is rarely a mental exercise. There is almost no creative puzzle solving. Rather, OCD players who check over every corner of a room are rewarded with success, and those who try to solve it outside of the game's strict rules hit an impassible wall. "Puzzles" lol.

At least until BotW. Finally, the underlying physics allow a player to bend the rules of the puzzles. I don't understand the concern about how "linear" the shrines are when the shrine puzzles are still more flexible than 99% of the puzzles in other Zelda titles. The dungeons in previous Zelda games might've offered a more cohesive thematic experience, but players were still trapped in the same loop of explore all rooms > proceed in correct order > "puzzle" solved.

Yeah, BotW does not overtly tell you to break the game, but should it have to? We're not talking about glitches or obscure exploits (those exist in BotW too) but simply using the tools given to you. An easy example would be abusing wood + flint + swordstrike + glider to access higher areas that would otherwise be unreachable/unscalable.

Ten_Fold

Only problem with BOTW and it’s not even big is the lack of real dungeons and boss battles, but outside of that the game is my favorite game this gen.

iconmaster

Banned
In my opinion, Zelda fans are too in love with hand-holding and fake "oooh look you solved the puzzle" gameplay structure. When you shoot an arrow at a gilded eye in the center of a door, that's not solving a puzzle. The majority of Zelda puzzles throughout the franchise only require you to observe the room, consider the order of actions needed to activate Widget #553, and then the player can proceed. Solving the puzzle in a Zelda game is rarely a mental exercise.

There's something to this. I can enjoy untying a developer's little knot, even if it's fairly obvious; and there are more clever "puzzle box" dungeons in Zelda that require you to think of the whole structure of the thing, like the Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword. The trap the series was increasingly falling into following the success of Ocarina of Time was telling the player how to solve the puzzles. That's... bizarre, for one, and completely ruins the fun.

Top Bottom