• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Breath Of The Wild has sold more than 16 million copies worldwide.

Gargus

Banned
I own a wiiu and a switch copy of it and it will probably be the last 3d zelda game I ever buy. I just couldnt sit through that shit for more than 5 or 6 hours. It was just so boring and I hated the combat and the god damn breakable gear was enough to make me quit from not having any fun. The exploration wasnt even any fun because everything was so samey, no one to meet really, uninteresting fetch quests and the character control felt like a chore. I also hate having to collect shit to cook food and make shit. In games like skyrim its fine because you dont have to do crafting at all ever if you dont want to, its just there but you can still get plenty of gear and stuff from quests or finding things.

On the other hand I bought links awakening, beat it and enjoyed it. I guess I just dont like 3d zelda games as I could never bring myself to get even half way through.

At 44 years old I just cant play a 50+ hour game anymore. Skyrim, fallout 4 and persona 5 were the only ones in recent memory I enjoyed despite being long.

I can see why people don't like BotW, it's a lot less action-packed than other Zelda games. Most of the game is exploration, take your time, enjoy the scenery kind of thing.

Very my jam but maybe not others jam.

Raspberry > strawberry jam.

Uh uh, strawberry preserves is where its at.

Last edited:

Codes 208

botw is good, but in its own style in the same way i can keep going back to play skyrim. But as a zelda game its mildly lackluster in terms of combat and dungeon. That itch was somewhat scratched with links awakening but being a remake of fairly easy GB game, it held my attention only for so long.

The urge to play a more traditional zelda really makes me hopeful for n64 games coming to the nintendo online pass. Or even hd ports of the 3d zelda remakes.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I give Nintendo a ton of credit of BOTW, and pushing a console that's a decade behind its counterparts to maximum levels.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They did for the original released
rCqNVVl.png

WTF??? Twilight princess sold more than Ocarina of time???

Why Majora mask is so low?

MagnesG

Banned
Playing on cemu lol, fucking pirates confirmed unless I could see a picture of their WiiU copy purchase.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
And at full price, as far as I'm aware.

Very impressive..

woigemok

Banned
And at full price, as far as I'm aware.

Very impressive..
Yep, Uncharted 4 has a similar number but was heavily bundled and sold at a discounted price. If you take a look at NPD chart GOW and HZD with fewer numbers sold have higher revenue than uncharted despite both of those titles have also been discounted.

Nintendo titles, on the other hand, are at another tier.

woigemok

Banned
Meanwhile TLOU sold above 20m despite a new IP, " another level" omegalul
Heavily discounted and bundled.
Zelda BOTW sold nearly all of those at full price. The same reason why games like uncharted 4, HZD, Spiderman, TLOU, or any other sony exclusives would never enter the NPD top exclusives chart because of lower revenue.
DsaDsm8U0AAxv3U.jpg:large

Super Mario 64 and Smash Brows Brawl charted despite selling fewer than TLOU.

kevin_trinh

Heavily discounted and bundled.
Zelda BOTW sold nearly all of those at full price. The same reason why games like uncharted 4, HZD, Spiderman, TLOU, or any other sony exclusives would never enter the NPD top exclusives chart because of lower revenue.
DsaDsm8U0AAxv3U.jpg:large

Super Mario 64 and Smash Brows Brawl charted despite selling fewer than TLOU.
So? Sony' ex is to sell console, because outside of exclusive game they had a handful of revenue from 3rd pt too. They don't depend on ex game revenue like Nintendo.

Btw 20m>16m, and its a complete new IP, not the xx years old IP like Zelda. Another tier lul

woigemok

Banned
So? Sony' ex is to sell console, because outside of exclusive game they had a handful of revenue from 3rd pt too. They don't depend on ex game revenue like Nintendo.

Btw 20m>16m, and its a complete new IP, not the xx years old IP like Zelda. Another tier lul
16m at full price > 20m at 1/3 of botw price.

Let's take a look at another comparison
The current price of HZD complete edition(all dlc and expansion)
vs
Zelda BOTW base game

With all DLC sales of BOTW, its revenues should be around 1b$ while HZD it's probably only 1/5 of what Zelda BOTW has made.

The most impressive aspect of Nintendo software isn't about the number alone but the combination of selling a lot of copies at the full prices something both Sony and Microsoft would never achieve in all generations.

Last edited:

kevin_trinh

16m at full price > 20m at 1/3 of botw price.

Let's take a look at another comparison
The current price of HZD complete edition(all dlc and expansion)
vs
Zelda BOTW base game

With all DLC sales of BOTW, its revenues should be around 1b$ while HZD it's probably only 1/5 of what Zelda BOTW has made.
oh oh, how do you know all 20m sale of TLOU is not full price? And 20m new IP > 16m old IP

woigemok

Banned
oh oh, how do you know all 20m sale of TLOU is not full price? And 20m new IP > 16m old IP
a free copy per console promotion during 2014-2016 before uncharted 4 free copy bundled.

I already posted the top revenue chart above and you still refused to believe it. Playstation games = android Chinese phones cheap on the market
here is another revenue-based chart for PS4 exclusives

PS4 EXCLUSIVES
  1. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  2. God of War
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn
  4. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  5. Bloodborne
  6. Days Gone
  7. Infamous: Second Son
  8. MLB 17: The Show
  9. MLB 19: The Show
  10. MLB 18: The Show

Uncharted 4 despite selling more than GOW, HZD, and Spidey game still charted below because of aggressive price promotion by sony similar to other ND game like TLOU.
Bloodborne is around ~2m-3m according to ZhungeEX but still only 1 place behind UC4.

TLDR; TLOU and UC4 combined are nowhere near Zelda BOTW when it comes to revenue.

Last edited:

NahaNago

What's more impressive most of those sales were sold at the full price. A lot of games today received a discount after 2-3 months on the market. After nearly 3 years on the market, the MSRP is still the same when it launched.

It explains why they are making the sequel and not some all new style.

woigemok

Banned
It explains why they are making the sequel and not some all new style.
Yep, they don't want to abandon all of the resources of the most successful Zelda title for the next 3d game.

The traditional style of 3d gameplay Zelda series

OOT(tried to be realistic graphically during that time. Set a new record for the franchise)->Wind Waker(Cartoony graphics and presentation, a huge departure from the previous installment. Sales went down) ->Twilight Princess(Brown Zelda game with the same concept as OOT. Set a new sales record)->Skyward Sword(Introduced motion controller gameplay and a mixed of realistic and cartoony Zelda. Set a new record for the worst-selling 3d Zelda lol)

I think Eiji Aonuma and his team already discovered the success recipe for the next 10 years of 3d Zelda series with an open world and studio ghibli style of graphics as the core structure of gameplay design and graphical presentation.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like how you want to accuse the cartoony graphics for setting sales down compared to brown realism, ignoring stuff like Majora's Mask inbetween, and to avoid calling BOTW a different mix of cartoony (just like Skyward Sword) which you want to add the negative connotations to you instead call it "ghibli style", lol. Creative :messenger_clapping:

OoT is pretty cartoony in design and its 99% faithful remaster shows how it'd look with a little better technology. Which isn't like Twilight Princess but just as bright and colorful as Wind Waker, just as funnily/cutely caricatured characters, just in a different style without cell shading (not all cartoons/anime have outlines either).

Last edited:

woigemok

Banned
I like how you want to accuse the cartoony graphics for setting sales down compared to brown realism, ignoring stuff like Majora's Mask inbetween, and instead of calling BOTW a different mix of cartoony (just like Skyward Sword) which you want to add the negative connotations to you instead call it "ghibli style", lol. Creative :messenger_clapping:

OoT is pretty damn cartoony in design and the 99% faithful remaster on the 3DS shows how it'd look with a little better technology behind it. Which isn't like Twilight Princess but just as bright and colorful as Wind Waker, just as funnily/cutely caricatured characters, just in a different style without cell shading at its core.
MM had a weird circumtances going against its way with expansion pack requirement and came at the late of the console life.

OOT was definitely going for more realistic graphics than cartoony in a presentation during that time. Just because the game is colorful and vibrant it doesn't equal to cartoony. I don't think the remastered count of what I was saying during its time.

Cartoony and Chibi style was the reason for the huge backlash during WW GC year and that affected the sales potential of WW.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Right, because the character designs for example resemble winback or metal gear solid or resident evil or goldeneye 007 or virtua fighter from the same/earlier generations more than they do Quest 64 or Mario 64 where even skeletons and shit are cute with funny oversized flat teeth, that's how realistic it was trying to be.

But of course none of these surface level characteristics is what ultimately dictates success or failure so it's dumb to even insinuate it can all be distilled down to that, there's a lot more that goes into a video game and of course the way the market reacts given they tended to arrive at very different times/generations even.

The last point of which you acknowledge but only wish to apply it to Majora's Mask to suit the rest of your argument better, you're just mixing and matching different and contradicting conditions at different times in order to push the original argument. Deliberate or not, I believe that in English that's called confirmation bias.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Sony's main portfolio now is to sell their online services, so they had no reason not to join the race to the bottom like the other AAA publishers.

It deserves every sale it gets.

BotW was the first game in decades that I sat and watched someone else play. A friend came over, sat on my living room floor and just watched me collect Korok seeds for over an hour one day. It's also one of the only modern games I feel any form of nostalgia for despite it still being relatively new. I went through my Hero's Path and I can remember every time I died. I remember the first time I saw one of the dragons at Hyrule Bridge, I tried using updrafts to follow it into the portal in the sky. I remember the first lighting storm, I had just left the plateau and was being chased by Boblokins on horses when one of them got struck and oh my god did he eat shit. I remember my first fight with a Lynel which I was absolutely not prepared for, big black Lynel just looking at me, should I fight him? Aw fuck he's coming this way and I'm dead. I remember seeing a bear in the woods, jumping on him and trying to make him my steed. My daring run through Hyrule Castle when I was only at 5 hearts. My climb up the backside of Death Mountain. Prince Fishead giving me a thumbs up, a lot of thumbs up.

Between all the people I watched play, we all did just about everything completely different. I didn't get Falco Lombardi's twin brother's power until near the end of the game. I was using stasis and inertia attacks to traverse most of the really high cliffs. I got a kick out of watching people struggle with puzzles I figured out how to cheat on. I'm sure they got a kick out of me trying to break the physics every chance I got.

Easily my GOTY when it launched and so far my favorite game this gen. If they can fix the small things, put in some real dungeons in the same scale as Hyrule Castle, and maybe fine tune the cooking for the next game, it has a good chance of becoming my GOAT.

Last edited:

PSFan

Welp, guess I'm done with the Zelda series then. If Zelda is going to be BOTW going forward, you can keep it. Game is terrible and overrated and not what a Zelda game should be.

Vitacat

Game is terrible and overrated and not what a Zelda game should be.
In your opinion, of course.

I think it's a brilliant game, and like any game it's not for everyone. As for being what a Zelda game should be, they just need to add classic Zelda style dungeons.

Plus, it doesn't mean more classic Zelda style game won't also be made, i.e. Link's Awakening.

PSFan

Like Link's Awakening just came out.

In your opinion, of course.

I think it's a brilliant game, and like any game it's not for everyone. As for being what a Zelda game should be, they just need to add classic Zelda style dungeons.

Plus, it doesn't mean more classic Zelda style game won't also be made, i.e. Link's Awakening.

Classic Zelda games to me are Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. I was really never fond of Link's Awakening and thought it too, was overrated. Even as a "2D Zelda" it's not as good as LttP or the NES original.

Top Bottom