• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) sold 193k at retail in Japan (Famitsu numbers)

DKHF

From March 3-5 Zelda: BoTW sold 193,060 at retail (no digital) on Switch in Japan according to Famitsu https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/07128430.html

According to Famitsu there were 330,637 Switch consoles sold in the same time span (March 3-5).

So BotW (retail version) had a 58% attach rate on Switch.

Comparison to previous 3D home console Zeldas (source):

N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time First week: 386.234 LTD: 1.143.570 Nintendo 11/21/1998
N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask FW: 314.044 LTD: 601.542 Nintendo 4/27/2000
NGC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker FW: 287.346 LTD: 742.609 Nintendo 12/13/2002
WII The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword FW: 194.894 LTD: 349.143 Nintendo 11/23/2011
WII The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess FW: 145.068 LTD: 554.109 Nintendo 12/2/2006
NGC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess FW: N/A LTD: 70.000 Nintendo 12/2/2006

The Wii U version's sales aren't provided.

Branduil

What are 130,000 people even playing on their Switch, LOL? I suppose some of them may have bought it digitally.

Toni

It sold the least from the main entries? Wii U and Switch combined?

Pretty shocking if true yo.

Lower than I anticipated honestly. It's an ok launch number but I wouldn't call it great

I realize Zelda has never been as strong in Japan as in the West but given the few amount of titles available Day 1 for Switch I just anticipated a better attach rate

It sold the least from the main entries? Wii U and Switch combined?

Pretty shocking if true yo.

This and TP are the only Zelda games to launch with a system.

It did better than TP's Wii launch. The LTD will be the real test but hopefully it'll have legs as the install base grows.

_Clash_

looks like more gravy,

TP on Wii the comparison I'm looking at.

Not to mention digital is at least 10-20% improvement to a wicked attach ratio

Toni

what the hell are people playing lol

Horizon Zero Dawn

u4QNKEo.gif

Madao

This and TP are the only Zelda games to launch with a system.

It did better than TP's Wii launch. The LTD will be the real test but hopefully it'll have legs as the install base grows.

did you see TP's sales in the OP?

same logic and it didn't even beat Majora's Mask.

BotW was definitely made for the west since Zelda has fallen off very hard in japan and this approach wasn't going to reverse this trend there.

weekev

Banned
Id be surprised if it didn't have a 3:4 attach rate over the course of the Switch's lifetime. It will have the longest legs. Also would be surprised if digital sales were miles away from 100k. In the U.K. at least there seemed to be a shortage of the physical copy. I know 2 people that got it digitally because they didn't preorder.

duckroll

Wii launch:
Wii - 371,936
TP - 145,068 (39% attach rate)

Switch launch:
Switch - 330,637
BotW - 193,060 (58% attach rate)

did you see TP's sales in the OP?

same logic and it didn't even beat Majora's Mask.

BotW was definitely made for the west since Zelda has fallen off very hard in japan and this approach wasn't going to reverse this trend there.

TP actually beat Majora's Mask LTD. Combine the GC and Wii listings.

Also bear in mind this is before digital and Wii U. Maybe not a massive game-changer but it's important to note. With those in mind, the FW sales would pretty likely be higher than Skyward Sword's as well.

It's definitely going to be a big deal if it makes it to a million but the point is though it's too soon to write it off as the worst-selling in the series, or think it's shocking that a game on a brand new install base will innately be disadvantaged when comparing its week 1 sales to games that came out when a console was already established.

SarusGray

I know you're probably at least half kidding but I'll bite lol
In Japan though? I know they've been warming up to Western games but this is Nintendo AND a handheld.

eggxactly. The others I'll call them others, or even outcasters bought it digitally. I just don't see the appeal in having a switch with out zelda!

Veitsev

Wii launch:
Wii - 371,936
TP - 145,068 (39% attach rate)

Switch launch:
Switch - 330,637
BotW - 193,060 (58% attach rate)

Was TP even available digitally? Pretty sure not IIRC. Wonder how many units of BOTW got moved that way.

Regardless those are good numbers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Knack conquers another Nintendo franchise!

Where there any other notable launch titles in Japan exclusive to that region?

qko

Knowing that the Switch sold 313,000 in Japan, physical attach rate is at least 60% of the console's base. Digital sales make that number grow higher. How was the attach rate in Japan for other non-bundled games at launch?

Edit: my Switch sales number was wrong, Switch sold 331k. I guessing digital sales will still push it past 60%

Madao

TP actually beat Majora's Mask LTD. Combine the GC and Wii listings.

Also bear in mind this is before digital and Wii U. Maybe not a massive game-changer but it's important to note. With those in mind, the FW sales would pretty likely be higher than Skyward Sword's as well.

It's definitely going to be a big deal if it makes it to a million but the point is though it's too soon to write it off as the worst-selling in the series, or think it's shocking that a game on a brand new install base will innately be disadvantaged when comparing its week 1 sales to games that came out when a console was already established.

it definitely won't be the lowest selling entry due to Skyward but i still don't see the game becoming big in japan.

i don't think this game can cross 800k combined when all said and done. i'll be surprised to see it beat TP and MM.

Knowing that the Switch sold 313,000 in Japan, physical attach rate is at least 60% of the console's base. Digital sales make that number grow higher. How was the attach rate in Japan for other non-bundled games at launch?
331k not 313k, so attach ratio is a bit less than 60% for physical
I wonder if the Wii U version sold more retail copies.
most store ranking puts wii u version below switch version

SarusGray

it definitely won't be the lowest selling entry due to Skyward but i still don't see the game becoming big in japan.

i don't think this game can cross 800k combined when all said and done. i'll be surprised to see it beat TP and MM.

The US will help it cross. Trust!

That's fair enough. I'm not enough of an expert on the Japan sales landscape to make any sort of real prediction on where it'll land, but my main point was just that I don't think it'll be the worst-selling entry and it's premature to judge it as such. So at least on that front we seem to be in agreement.

The sales are definitely going to be veeeery western-heavy.

jjonez18

Lower than I expected for Zelda.

Good launch for Switch though. The hot air from Nintendo's ip and big 3rd party ip will carry it far in Japan. Me thinks/hopes.

Top Bottom