• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild vs. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 205 78.2%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 57 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

1sp2XTR.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Both are amazing games so this is a tough pick. Personally I'm picking Breath of the Wild though, I feel like it'll have a huge impact on gaming in the years to come.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Still playing it since it came out. Breath of the Wild is an amazing first playthrough, but anything after that is when the major flaws of it start to really appear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Smash is a fun party game, but nah...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
BOTW all the way!

It's the only game I've played on the Switch and while I think it's over-rated/hyped, it was a really fun game and so much better than the majority of other 90+ MC score over-hyped games like MGSV, UC4 RDR2, TLOU2 etc.

Plus my first video game ever was the original Legend of Zelda.

Kamina

Golden Boy
BOTW all day every day! A true game of the gen contender and WILL be in the final four!
BOTW one of my all time favorite.
Zelda easily, it will be remembered as one of the most important games of the generation
BotW is the best game made in decades, I have genuine nostalgia for it and it's just 3 years old.
Breath of the Wild is an amazing experience.
Smash Ultimate's jank controls and online ruined it for me.

My choice is easy.
BotW is my favorite 3D Zelda. I'll be replaying it for years to come unless BotW2 somehow manages to surpass it.
GOAT of the Wild
Easy win for BOTW.
Smash is my most played game this gen, but BOTW is just unreal good.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets my vote.

I love you guys <3

Both brilliant games. I didnt expect such a large poll difference.

BOTW is the game that saved Nintendo. If that game is shit, hell if that game is only good, then it doesn't give the Switch its momentum. It was an all timer at a time that Nintendo badly needed one. It was so fucking clutch. It's like that Lebron block in the 2016 Finals. Shit would have gone topsy turvy without it.

iconmaster

Banned
Both brilliant games. I didnt expect such a large poll difference.

To be clear: Smash Ultimate is probably the best Smash has ever been. It has an incredible roster, tremendous stage and music variety, it's nicely balanced (except for a couple bottom-tier characters that really need help), and finally produced a single-player adventure that seems well-suited to the type of game Smash is. It's one of the best games on Switch, and deserves its incredible sales.

But Breath of the Wild was a revelation. It was Nintendo doing something with Zelda I no longer thought it was capable of doing, breaking away from the Ocarina of Time formula and rethinking the series from the perspective of someone playing that 1986 NES gold cartridge for the first time and going on a grand adventure into a wide-open world with few clear paths.

We can quibble about some of the smaller decisions, and I have no doubt some will in the next round. But taken as a whole, Breath of the Wild is in a league of its own.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Breath of The Wild is like the goat Lionel Messi in this videogame death match competition

Will be hard to beat

It will take something like Witcher 3, Bloodborne or God of War to take it down

Last edited:

royox

Smash: just a port of Smash WiiU with lots of "omega" copy-pasted characters and DLC ones. Worst Story Mode in any Smash bros game and less single player content. No able to choose your multiplayer modes, laggy as fuck but fun with friends on the same TV.

Zelda: GOAT material.

No contest.

Didn't own a Nintendo console for a while now but I played both games at and with friends of mine. I get why Zelde BOTW has been hyped and was/is successfull. It deserves to win this round for sure.

PS.: Still planning on buying a switch (BOTW would be me first pick), waiting for next gen though and expecting a "Pro" Version of switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom