• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda for Wii U reveal @ Nintendo Treehouse: Live by Reggie, June 14 6PMCEST

Not

Banned
I'm thinking Nintendo will show the first hours of the game up to the first dungeon.

What they could do, if the game allowed it, was do this a different way each day to show how many different paths you can take.

Is this possible? Don't want to get the ol' hopes up for Nintendo to smash them like gingerbread once again.

RaidenXZ

What I still found incredible is that the 30th anniversary of Zelda is pretty much ruined at this point since the best thing they could have done to celebrate it, wich is by releasing a brand new game, is now a no no. I think Nintendo is simply gonna try to ignore that fact and act like if this was just a random year and not Zelda's 30th anniversary. Because seriously what are they gonna try to say to compensate? "We're gonna celebrate it... by releasing the game till sometime in 2017 please be excited/understand"

At least we'll get a game for Metroids 30th anniversary..........

ozfunghi

What could be Zelda U's maximum sales potential ? Assuming Nintendo really pushes Zelda into new heights and markets it to death.

Can it possibly sell as much as the blockbuster open worlds out there?

There are less than 15 million WiiU's out there and 0 NX's for the moment. Sooo... less than that?

I think OoT sold the most and it was around 10M?

I put my headphones on and looked at the teaser for a few minutes. I love the atmosphere, the sound of wind blowing through the grass, the tiny houses and wells scattered around. I really can't wait to explore this world.

That said, I'm so disappointed by Nintendo's E3 plans. Not even the NWC?

Nintendo can fuck off with all that "magic is really technology" bullshit if that's where they're heading with the series.

I like the fact that there's technology in the Zelda games. Jukeboxes in OOT, aliens in MM? Good stuff, it adds to the unique flavor of the Zelda universe. But don't call the goddesses ancient aliens and say that what fuels the Triforce and dozens of other series relics isn't magic but highly advanced technology. I can only imagine that the people in this thread who are clamoring for Nintendo to go in this direction are such hard-boiled cynics in real life that they find it difficult to immerse themselves in traditional fantasy. I'm sorry you need an explanation for everything, but some of us still like to suspend our disbelief every now and then and enjoy a world where magic exists and can't be explained away--you know, fantasy.
I see where you're coming from, but I honestly doesn't see much of a difference between magic and technology in this context. Both can be vague and mysterious.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
What could be Zelda U's maximum sales potential ? Assuming Nintendo really pushes Zelda into new heights and markets it to death.

Can it possibly sell as much as the blockbuster Open worlds out there?

Hard to say, but probably 10 million tippy tops, but that's really pushing it and supposing a lot of other factors fall into place for the game. Mostly that it release at launch with the NX and the NX sells very well. That coupling would do wonders for the game's sales just like TP and the Wii did together. But no game in the series has topped 8 million on a single console, only one has broken 7, the original LoZ. Combined Wii U and NX could maybe break 8 or 9 million same as TP did on the Wii and GC combined. Even then only OoT has topped 10 million across all various re-releases, though I'd expect TPHD will as well soon if it can sell like 1.5 million copies on Wii U.

If we are just talking Wii U though I think 4-5 million would be outstanding sales for the game. No game so far has broken 8 million on that system. Neither Smash Bros nor Super Mario 3D World couldn't even break 5, and they pretty much always out perform Zelda by a pretty large margin.

RagnarokX

Nintendo can fuck off with all that "magic is really technology" bullshit if that's where they're heading with the series.

I like the fact that there's technology in the Zelda games. Jukeboxes in OOT, aliens in MM? Good stuff, it adds to the unique flavor of the Zelda universe. But don't call the goddesses ancient aliens and say that what fuels the Triforce and dozens of other series relics isn't magic but highly advanced technology. I can only imagine that the people in this thread who are clamoring for Nintendo to go in this direction are such hard-boiled cynics in real life that they find it difficult to immerse themselves in traditional fantasy. I'm sorry you need an explanation for everything, but some of us still like to suspend our disbelief every now and then and enjoy a world where magic exists and can't be explained away--you know, fantasy.
It has nothing to do with cynicism. It's a very interesting concept and the series has already been on this path for a long time and it's the original concept of the series.

Yes, always. Throughout the franchise's 30 year history. From the very first game. Remember the laser gun in Zelda II? The jet pack in A Link to the Past? Good times.

Spirit Tracks is an abomination.

Spirit Tracks is the best handheld Zelda game; Great dungeon, good story, amazing soundtrack, some of the best characterization in the series.

It cracks me up how people shit on it because it doesn't make sense for Hyrule to have trains when other steam vehicles were perfectly okay in previous games. A game set 100 years after Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, both of which had steam ships, makes perfect sense to have trains. Especially since the past had even more advanced technology.

THCg2jh.jpg

Here's a train depot in Skyward Sword. The engines look more modern like diesel or electric trains.

Heh, it really does when it's fantasy we're talking about.
No it doesn't. Technology is mistaken for magic but never the reverse, because even if magic is involved it's still technology. A machine is a machine.

Both sci-fi and fantasy have unbelievable settings and creatures that don't exist in reality, so what do you suppose separates the two genres from each other?

What makes Star Wars fantasy rather than science fiction despite the huge role that advanced technology plays in the franchise?

Magic.

Whether it's labeled ''misunderstood technology" or not, once you posit a scientific explanation for magic, you have, in effect, gone full sci-fi. The presence of swords and dragons and other fantasy tropes does nothing to change that.

Can't magic just be magic? Can't we have amazing, incomprehensible things rather than things we just don't understand yet but know must have some mundane explanation?
What has set Zelda apart from pure fantasy going on 2 decades? Technology.

Magic can't just be magic when you have robots making servo noises and stuff, characters that are supposed to be computer AIs, factories with conveyor belts powered by electric generators, steam and motor boats, trains, floating cities that are kept aloft by machines, etc. Zelda has long crossed the bridge between fantasy and scifi.

But there is still magic that can't be explained as technology, like Zelda's powers, how the triforce works, most of the magic spells. The series has done a really good job of hinting at the technological nature of several elements of the series without being too explicit and crossing completely to the other side. It's Fantasy with Sci-fi elements.

If Nintendo explains away magic with technology the way people (mistakenly) thought that George Lucas was explaining away the Force with midichlorians, it will no longer be fantasy but sci-fi with fantasy tropes, and the series I loved will be dead to me.

Yes, people were wrong about midichlorians. They are not the Force but are instead a biological component that determines one's sensitivity to the Force. Lucas' problem is that he dropped that info too fast, was waaay too blunt with it, and didn't explain it well enough to justify having the explanation in the first place. We already knew that there was a biological component since sensitivity to the Force ran in Luke's family, as stated in Return of the Jedi, and that's all we really needed to know. Zelda has been very very VERY gradually been introducing these concepts and they've been staying extremely vague about it, which makes the concept interesting like the Force in the original trilogy. We know just enough to know that there are robots and computers and stuff but that's all we know. The Tower of the Gods is full of circuitry and robots and that's as far as it goes. It hints at the bigger picture but doesn't shove it down your throat. There isn't a long-winded exposition sequence where Link ponders the machines he saw. If they have a scene in the next Zelda game where Link attends a senate meeting to discuss a trade dispute where a character spends an hour explaining in exposition that the triforce is actually a computer then yeah, that'd be a fuck up.

It's had these scifi elements for a long time now and it isn't dead for you. They're really good about how they handle it.

Magic has almost always been depicted as glowing. What else would you expect from the physical manifestation of a magic spell but for it to glow?

Anyway, that symbol resembles a labyrinth, which, if you didn't know, is more than just a type of maze, but a symbol found in ancient cultures: http://symboldictionary.net/?p=3287

Yes, magic glows. The issue is that Nintendo has been very deliberately evoking scifi technology. They've been putting circuit patterns on stuff associated with the goddesses and those things make noises that electronics make. Go watch that Gohdan fight. Gohdan is very clearly supposed to be a machine. That Gate of Time cutscene is another good example. Very technological imagery and machine sounds. It's not like they did it by accident.

I see where you're coming from, but I honestly doesn't see much of a difference between magic and technology in this context. Both can be vague and mysterious.

Exactly my thoughts on that. Zelda never takes time to explain tech so you believe it has some kind of basis in actual technology, it's presented just like any other magical element.

-Horizon-

I put my headphones on and looked at the teaser for a few minutes. I love the atmosphere, the sound of wind blowing through the grass, the tiny houses and wells scattered around. I really can't wait to explore this world.

That said, I'm so disappointed by Nintendo's E3 plans. Not even the NWC?

Listening to the website, I'd actually be OK if the overworld only had ambient environment sounds. Keep the actual music for battles or important scenes.

Listening to the website, I'd actually be OK if the overworld only had ambient environment sounds. Keep the actual music for battles or important scenes.

I'm sure they'll do something like Wind Waker's ocean themes and have music fade in and out every so often.

I'm actually thinking something like Minecraft's music would be really nice. Something that's a little more ambient and freeform when just traveling.

-Horizon-

I'm sure they'll do something like Wind Waker's ocean themes and have music fade in and out every so often.

I'm actually thinking something like Minecraft's music would be really nice. Something that's a little more ambient and freeform when just traveling.
I wonder if overworld music will only come up if you're moving on the horse then.

Makai

Maybe like 3 million, optimistically.

I think max 5-6 million across both versions assuming Nintendo doesn't have another AAA exclusive at NX's launch.

Andrin

When it comes to the magic vs. technology debate I always assumed that it was a bit of both. That magic was a real thing in the world where Hyrule exists, and that it can be used to create and fuel different types of technology, as well as acting as the basis of spells etc. And the reason why so many of the ruins etc. left behind by the Goddesses are so technological in nature is simply because that was their approach to utilising magic. Nayru for example is said to have written the Laws of the world, then executing them to fine-tune the world and the forces that keeps it moving (ie. magic, time, gravity etc.), something that sounds very similar to a programmer implementing code to change a program. And I don't see why that can't simply be her way of channelling magic, instead of it being her using super high tech.

Ms.Galaxy

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. The game will have connections to OoT, Twilight Princess, and Majora's Mask. I think it could tie Majora and the Twili together. That would be a good story.

Speaking of the Twili, their "magic" is very techno-looking, too. With the black squares and glowing circuitry. The robotic wallmasters they made to protect the sols look a lot like Gohdan from Wind Waker:

Zantshand.jpg

The whole Palace of Twilight is very techno.

Phantom Zant is very clearly a hologram too. It's fuzzy and it flickers, plus it has a lot of noise. Primitive compared to the Ancient Civ's tech with Fi, though.

jblank83

The highest selling Zelda title is 8.6 million (Twilight Princess, not counting the remake on U).

The sales potential is dependent on system sales. It's also dependent on how much Zelda breaks out of its mold, which we already know is the intent of Zelda U/NX, as well as its "mass appeal". It's not inconceivable it might be something special. Given it's supposed to be more "open world", it might do well. Or it might not. We'll have to see.

AdanVC

The 30th Fiscal Year of Zelda

lol
Hahaha good one.

Honestly, they already celebrated the 25th, so whatever

And they did just great when it was it's 25th. So I was just hoping they will celebrate it even better on the 30th but it seems they will just stay silent about it now that the big game was pushed to next year. sIGH.

At least we'll get a game for Metroids 30th anniversary..........

Yiiiiikes that's true. And pretty freaking depressing if you think about it considering the type of game will be released.

Neiteio

TITLE CARD: Treehouse LIVE with The Legend of Zelda

*A sterile white room appears onscreen. There are three metal folding chairs and a wooden crate. Three Treehouse members walk in and sit on the chairs.*

REP #1: "So, uh, welcome everyone. To Treehouse Live. At E3. With The Legend of Zelda."

REPS #2 and #3: "Yaaay."

*Rep #1 coughs into his hand while Rep #2 jitters uncontrollably*

*Rep #3 checks his watch*

*Rep #1 resumes talking but there are audio difficulties*

*Fifteen minutes later, the audio difficulties are resolved*

REP #1: "OK, we're back... First, you're probably wondering what this new Legend of Zelda title will be called..."

REP #2: "OH BOY I CAN'T WAIT."

REP #1: "Well... Here's the moment you've all been waiting for... The new title!"

TITLE CARD: New! The Legend of Zelda

REP #2: "......wow! It's quite a provocative title. It really gets you thinking questions, like, what's new about this legend?"

REP #1: "Indeed! And we have a very special guest to explain just that. Please welcome Aonuma-san!"

*Aonuma walks in wearing an uncomfortably tight Peter Pan outfit. He sits on the wooden crate, and keeps crossing and uncrossing his legs.*

*Aonuma begins gesticulating while speaking in Japanese*

CHARISMATIC VOICE-OVER TRANSLATOR: "For New! The Legend of Zelda, I wanted to do things that have never been done before in a videogame."

*footage cuts to Link standing near a waist-high wall; he snaps to cover and blind-fires an arrow at a bokoblin hiding behind cover; an arrow hits Link in the head and smears red jelly all over the corners of the screen*

CHARISMATIC VOICE-OVER TRANSLATOR: "When Link finds himself in a shootout, which will be often, he can now take cover... But so can his enemies!"

*The scene changes to a field of grass stretching as far as the eye can see*

CHARISMATIC VOICE-OVER TRANSLATOR: "That's a lot of grass! It would be easy to lose one's way frolicking in the field. But with New! The Legend of Zelda, you can touch the touchscreen to set a GPS waypoint — another first for videogames, and a clean break from Zelda conventions."

*Rep #1 touches the GamePad, and a beacon of light appears 10 feet away in the field; a huge neon arrow appears onscreen, along with Navi shrieking "Go this way! Hey, Link! Go this way! This way!*

REP #1: "Oh thank god! I thought I'd never find my way out of here!"

REP #2: "GPS changes everything!"

*The scene changes to Link riding his horse... and riding his horse... and riding his horse...*

CHARISMATIC VOICE-OVER TRANSLATOR: "You may notice the world is massive. It is also filled with grass. And trees. And rocks. And more grass. This was inspired by Miyamoto-san. He can explain!"

*stream cuts to pre-recorded footage of Miyamoto in his Kyoto office, playing Zelda WiiU with his back turned to the camera*

MIYAMOTO (turning around): "Oh! I didn't see you there! ...I'm playing New! The Legend of Zelda. As you can see, the world is vast, and filled with much grass. This was inspired by my family trips growing up. I would sit in the backseat of the minivan and watch the scenery pass by. It seemed to go on forever!"

"But every now and then, we would stop for gas at a rest stop. You never knew what you'd find scrawled on the stall door of the public restroom... I want New! The Legend of Zelda to recreate that feeling of discovery."

*cut to scene of Link pulling Epona into a gas station; Link walks into the restroom and discovers a chest with a blue rupee, which the game informs him is worth five rupees*

*The stream cuts back to the Treehouse room: Rep #1 is staring vacuously, Rep #2 is PUMPED, and Rep #3 is sleeping; Aonuma scowls at Rep #3, who is promptly fired and replaced by Rep #4*

REP #1 (nervously): "S-so, after the break, we'll continue our tour of New! The Legend of Zelda. Here's a preview of what's next."

*A clip shows a puzzle in one of the dungeons: "Guess the number I'm thinking, between 1 and 1,000,000,000." Aonuma smiles slyly and places his Link amiibo on the GamePad. "Puzzle automatically solved! You may proceed."

FireVoa

Wait what? Zelda U only and that's it for E3? Like... no other announcements? Im misunderstanding and it's the only game they are demoing but they will be announcing and showing trailers for other stuff though right? If it's the latter then it's ok, but if it's Zelda U and not a single thing else Nintendo is in the weeds bad.

Let's hope Zelda is a great game. Nintendo definitely needs a win right now.

The booth at E3 will probably be really cool, the downside is though that only press will be able to see it. And what should press even write about it? It's a great game, coming to Wiiu! That system noone has!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, it's just kinda sad.

I really don't care about this, like... at all. And I'm a huge Nintendo fan. The game's not out until next year, and there's nothing else. Insult to injury at this point.

I'm sure the game will look great, but... eh. Still stings.

Chinner

Banned
Too little too late from Nintendo. Self a is another safe franchise, which follows the same formula and hasn't captured hearts since OoT.

Witcher 3 is this generations OoT, in terms of impact.

takriel

Too little too late from Nintendo. Zelda a is another safe franchise, and hasn't captured hearts since OoT.

Witcher 3 is this generations OoT.
Nah there's a place for an open world high fantasy game that doesn't rely on violence or realism. But in order to succeed this game needs to feel magical.

Zalman

Too little too late from Nintendo. Self a is another safe franchise, which follows the same formula and hasn't captured hearts since OoT.

Witcher 3 is this generations OoT, in terms of impact.
You can't compare the impact OoT had to Witcher 3.

watershed

Banned
I wonder a bit if morale is low at NoA/treehouse right now. It must suck to have to scrap whatever was originally planned and try to act like only showing Zelda WiiU is some awesome, amazing event. It's like scraping too little butter over too much bread but they have to act like it's rich and gourmet.

Wait what? Zelda U only and that's it for E3? Like... no other announcements? Im misunderstanding and it's the only game they are demoing but they will be announcing and showing trailers for other stuff though right? If it's the latter then it's ok, but if it's Zelda U and not a single thing else Nintendo is in the weeds bad.

Maybe they'll be smoking the weed the whole time they're streaming this. They've gotta be if this is all they're doing.

Neiteio

*It's the end of Day One, and the Treehouse Live stream is nearly over*

Rep #1: "Wow, I feel like I've been holding forward on the analog stick for the past three hours."

AONUMA: "That's, be-cause, you, have," Aonuma points out, Engrish-ly.

Rep #1: "Amazing!"

*Link continues to ride forward through a never-ending field of grass*

REP #1: "Hey, Aonuma-san — you said this is a game without borders. What does that mean, exactly?"

REP #2: "Yeah! What does it mean?! What does it meeeeeeeeeeeean?!"

*the lighting in the sterile white room suddenly dims*

*a flashlight shines on Aonuma's eyes as the camera slowly zooms in*

*dry ice fog starts to drift in from the corners of the screen*

AONUMA: "Do you really... REALLY... want to know?"

*Rep #6, who replaced Rep #5, snaps awake, and unsure what's going on, nods in agreement with reps #1 and #2*

AONUMA: "Very well... At this next patch of grass... Turn left."

*Rep #1 swallows hard and does as he's told. He nudges left on the control stick, and Epona goes... to the left of a rock.*

AONUMA: "Keep going... A little further..."

*All of the sudden, the ground disappears beneath Epona's hooves. The horse spirals into the abyss of space, neighing helplessly. The horse spins through the darkness, hurtling past planets and stars and asteroid belts.*

REP #1: "W-what... What's going on?!"

REP #2: "Rep #1 — do something!"

*Aonuma starts cackling maniacally as Epona transforms into a beam of light and pierces a black hole. An eyeball flies past the screen, followed by a ghost clock, followed by mathematical equations and occult symbols. The face of Giygas screams in the background. Footage of UFOs visiting the pyramids and Jesus shaking hands with the Illumanti flashes onscreen. Epona hurtles past alien worlds that simultaneously exist in the past, present, and future. The universe folds in on itself and births a new universe that folds in on itself again. A baby crying can be heard, as well as someone murmuring in strange utterances that defy comprehension.*

*Aonuma continues to laugh, now joined by Miyamoto*

AONUMA: "A world... A world without borders! Now you understand! Do you rike it? Hahahahaha!"

*The three reps continue screaming*

Magic and tech are the same thing as far as I'm concerned, or perhaps more accurately, magic in fiction is a subgroup of science. If magic existed and had rules*, we all know there'd be a massive branch of science, with a big pile of sub-branches, entirely dedicated to figuring out what those rules are, how they work, and how to exploit them. Just like actual chemistry, physics, etc are that for non-magic. And you'd have "electronic" devices that run on magic rather than electricity and/or have weird magical functions that fit within those rules.
Like how Vision in the MCU is an AI powered by a magic rock. :p

tl;dr: I don't see how "magic" as a fundamental force of the universe would be different from, say, electromagnetism as a fundamental force of the universe in that they both (would) have cascading effects on the interactions and structure of the universe. It would go in the exact same pile as electromagnetism, gravity, etc.

So basically, magic tech in fiction is A-OK with me.

*And if your magic doesn't have rules or at the very least some kind of framework, then it's just a shitty deus ex machina. :)

I found something.

On the e3 website, you can see this code. 32 characters. Apparently, these characters are not Hylian. This reveals that there is a new linguistic system in the latest Zelda game. Now let's look at the first 16 characters.

Some of them are repetitive, which help us identify the words "The Legend of Zelda", as shown in the picture below.

The placement of repetitions for E (4 times) and D (2 times) prove that the first 16 characters are THELEGENDOFZELDA.

Now we look at the latter half. Same, 16 characters.

Wait... The last 6 characters are different from FZELDA! Well, the words become THELEGENDOTHELEG. What in the world is OTHELEG... I originally read it as THE LEGEND OF HELEG, and I felt so excited about that. I think Nintendo makes a mistake here as they clearly want to repeat the words THELEGENDOFZELDA.

To conclude, there are two major insights from this discovery
1) Zelda U/NX uses a new linguistic system instead of using Hylian
2) The first 16 characters of the new linguistic system should be The Legend of Zelda

Top Bottom