• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda game set in Link to the Past world coming to the 3DS, holiday 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm impressed how much people are picking on art styles lately.

Wind Waker HD

Yoshi Island 3DS

Zelda 3DS

Is this a thing now?

There's people who legit think Castle of Illusion looks better than the remake solely because it's 2D. Some old men just can't let it go.

That said, Wind Waker HD's SUPER BLOOM looks pretty bad

Neiteio

Cause it looks worse in 3D and those things arent that big a deal. Every other game seems to do just fine without gimmicks, and its not as if games touted as unplayable in 2D like 3D Land were seriously built around 3D.. Pretty simple. But hey, thats the great thing about the 3DS, you can play with your hideous 3D while the rest of us "dodongo turds and cuckoo shits" can play in 2D. Options are great.
You're playing the inferior way, literally getting less visual feedback with none of the added distinction from true 3D depth and solidity. But you're right, everyone is entitled to their preferences and the system accommodates both. I'll just never understand why someone would want to miss out on the way the game was intended by Nintendo to be played. The whole game is built around 3D to be more enjoyable with it. To play in 2D, is to not get the full experience.

Also, the "dodongo turds and cucco shits" was a joke. Those are Zelda creatures (the dragons that spit fireballs, and the Zelda world's equivalent of chickens, respectively).

this is deffinetly a new super mario bros zelda, even in the gameplay... have you all see that extremily slow motion sword spin in the video of the eshop, the game feels slooooow... with a link to the past you can do a speedrun but with this new game you would get a slowrun...

Yeah, it does seem really slow. That's a problem.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I personally like the balance they struck. Perhaps a bit darker in colour and sharper and it would be perfect.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Cause it looks worse in 3D and those things arent that big a deal. Every other game seems to do just fine without gimmicks, and its not as if games touted as unplayable in 2D like 3D Land were seriously built around 3D.. Pretty simple. But hey, thats the great thing about the 3DS, you can play with your hideous 3D while the rest of us "dodongo turds and cuckoo shits" can play in 2D. Options are great.

Well since Opinions are Opinions, hopefully you can concede that some people actually think the 3D effect makes games look tangibly better, and have come to consider it as indispensable an effect as texture filtering, antialiasing, or any of the dozens of graphical effects that have made games look better and better over time. It's not a matter of "doing fine without gimmicks," but simply enjoying yet another effect that improves the look of video games. There is no need to be derogatory.

StAidan

OK, I was tentative on the screenshots but after seeing the Nintendo Direct footage firsthand, I'm not concerned about the graphics anymore. Much, much better in motion.

Back to kickin' with maximum hype!

Ugh. The world and character art just looks so generic and lifeless.. it has like zero charm at all. I am not feeling this at all, it looks incredibly phoned in.

ZI2IBND.jpg

=/

guek

Banned
Thats pretty dissapointing they are reusing the lttp overworld again. Would prefer it to be all new.

I doubt it'll be an exact copy. At the very least, I expect 1-2 completely new areas and most of the familiar locales to be thoroughly remixed.

Otnopolit

A lot of you just sound ungrateful in this thread.

Personally I'm very excited and ready to roll with the art changes, because I have faith in the developers and the franchise.

Not at all what I was expecting. Looks so much fun anyway. Come on guys, I'd be suspicious if there wasn't art style whining going on, wouldn't be a Zelda thread without it.

Also this being set in the Link to the Past world means it's also technically set in the Link's Awakening world...

^You complain this looks lifeless and generic then use a photo of an N64 game to support your argument? Get a grip!

Ezalc

Man I've never played a Zelda game, though I'm looking to change this, and I'm excited for this. I'm surprised how many people are bitching when all I remember was people asking for a new Zelda to be made that was more like the older ones.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Zelda is the new New Super Mario Bros.

The next 2D Zelda we see will be on the Wii U and we'll be playing it before we play the next fully 3D Zelda.

They went with this art style and perspective because its the fastest, cheapest, acceptable way to put a Zelda out. They made it a sequel to a beloved entry in the franchise to trade on nostalgia and to obscure the economics of the project.

serplux

Not at all what I was expecting. Looks so much fun anyway. Come on guys, I'd be suspicious if there wasn't art style whining going on, wouldn't be a Zelda thread without it.

Also this being set in the Link to the Past world means it's also technically set in the Link's Awakening world...

I wonder if it's going to be the same Link from those two games too?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But those are blurry screenshots from the ND video? Why would you compare the 2?
Also the SNES version screenshots should be put through a TV filter since that is how we actually saw the game.

Also I love that OoT3D comparison image. Lets take a really vibrant and varied screenshot and compare it with a plan field shot. At least use a shot of Hyrule Field.

ec0ec0

its interesting how if you play an old game of a nintendo franchise and 15 years latter you play the last game of the franchise... you are like... ok is still nintendo but, what happened?

Superflat

Aw yea, this would actually motivate me to go back and actually finish Link to the Past (I know, I'm a bad person). Proper hyped! Loved the mechanics shown in the video.

ASIS

Man I've never played a Zelda game, though I'm looking to change this, and I'm excited for this. I'm surprised how many people are bitching when all I remember was people asking for a new Zelda to be made that was more like the older ones.

Now do you believe in the Zelda Cycle?

Effect

Let's remember since this is the same world as ALTTP the that means we might possibly be visiting the Dark World. Or if not that some other world. That's really when things got interested in ALTTP. The light world map wasn't really that interesting. It was very straight forward. The dungeons (already we can see some of that from the trailer) and a possible dark world (or another secondary world) are what we should be really judging the game on.

Maybe it's a different Master Sword.

The game takes place between the final battle of ALTTP and that scene. Anyway it's not like there hasn't been other things changed story when it comes to ALTTP.

Neiteio

Wait, I just saw the comparison posted above: When they say the game is set in the ALttP "world," they mean the overworld is the same, even as the dungeons and narrative are new?

Let's remember since this is the same world as ALTTP the that means we might possibly be visiting the Dark World. Or if not that some other world. That's really when things got interested in ALTTP. The light world map wasn't really that interesting. It was very straight forward. The dungeons (already we can see some of that from the trailer) and a possible dark world (or another secondary world) are what we should be really judging the game on.

if it takes place after lttp then there shouldn't be a dark world anymore

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
its interesting how if you play an old game of a nintendo franchise and 15 years latter you play the last game of the franchise... you are like... ok is still nintendo but, what happened?
They realised that Donkey Kong 64 took collectathons a bit too far and thus made the smart decision when coming up with DKCR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom