• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Luigiv

Because she went through absolutely no character development. The change of heart is so jarring that it's silly. Why at the end? Why not sometime during the journey? I lugged her around the whole time not caring about her, and when she leaves me she tries to pull a heartstring. It just didn't work because I never liked her as a character. If they at least hinted it once after the first half of the game that she was gaining some sort of emotion, it would have made all the difference, imo.

Pretty much this. She was an encyclopaedia not a character. I did not feel any attachment to her at all at all during the adventure.

abasm

Gilded_Sword.png

aww yeahhhhhhh

I raise you:

mmitem4.jpg

zmm-link2.jpg

Check and mate.

aparisi2274

Demise was the hardest fight since a long time for me.

I forgot about the Hylian Shield, and the shield I had broke during the fight with Ghirahim. Secondly, Fi told me that the Skyward Strike would be useless. Tried it once, didn't work. Of course I saw Demise using it with the lightnings, but I just assumed it would work only for him.

Had to use two or three enhanced potions during the fight, but I then managed to beat him finally..

About Fi's farewell: I'm usually quite sensitive about scenes like that, but hell no. After constantly annoying me for nearly 40 hours and having absolutely no character, I was so glad to see her leaving. Just get into that damn sword and never ever come out again.

I used a Guardian Potion +, so I was invincible for 6min.

OMT

Not sure if stated already, but the little hanging thorn bushes that had water droplets in them...is it just me, or do they look exactly like the bushes in Minish Cap?

The entire game's art direction is fundamentally a development of that of The Minish Cap. It's amazing how many elements carried over from that game in particular, especially when you consider it came before TP.

The entire game's art direction is fundamentally a development of that of The Minish Cap. It's amazing how many elements carried over from that game in particular, especially when you consider it came before TP.

I happened to be playing both side by side lately and really thought they had similarities as far as art goes, but the whole water droplet/bush thing really stuck out. I looks like they cloned it or something. Makes we want to zoom in on some of the areas where they were to see if the Picori were hiding out...

Mistle

New cover (audio CD is no longer included):

[IMG.]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51diUUWBoLL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG]
That's the cover I wish it originally had, looks much better imo (than at least the non-shiny PAL gold one. The shiny US one may have been cool)

Nezumi

Was finally able to beat the Rollercoaster-Minigame and therefore beat the game as well.

I really liked it and can't really understand all the hate this game gets. I think Skyward Sword found a good balance of classic concepts and new ideas. I didn't even mind that the world wasn't as open as in most Zelda games before though I thought that maybe a few more islands in the Sky were you could find stuff without having found the Goddes Cube counterpart down below would have been nice.

As for the sword mechanics I was really impressed and had to wonder how it comes that so many people say that they don't work because they do and that is that. Evertime when I thought that they didn't work as I wanted them to work I paid attention to what I was really doing with the Wii Motion+ and realized that I wasn't doing what I thought I was doing therefore messing up. So evertime I read someone saying how shitty the controls were I got a little bit angry because, Sorry it's not the controls, it's you.

Also I seem to be one of the few people who really liked all the post-dungeon six stuff. Swimming to find all the cute little note-fishies was really relaxing and it was great to see a familar area of the game in a totally knew light. Same goes fore the stealth-scene at the volcano which, though not relaxing, was very fun to play.

The last thing I don't get is all the hate for Fii. Sure she wasn't Midna but her comments weren't nearly as nerve wracking as Navis "Listen". And all in all she did't pop up that often.

As for the stuff I didn't like first thing that comes to mind was the Roulette-Minigame for two reasons.
First I think that a minigame in general should either be based on luck or be based on skill. It should never (IMO) be based on both because frustration is guaranteed. In a minigame based on luck you don't mind if you fail because, well, it's luck, you can't do anything about it. If it is skill based, than you know that you have to get better, simple as that. But here even if you get the skill part right you still can mess up because it depends on luck if you will be able to land on the right field. That is frustrating.
Second reason I hated this minigame was that damn clown. Seriously Nintendo, a clown? Everbody hates clowns! If I just think about this ba****d grinning at me with his stupid face and blowing his trumpet which (after 1 hour of playing this minigame over and over for the heartpiece) I wanted to put somewhere where it had to be removed surgically afterwards. I hated him so much that sometimes I would just take my sword and swing it at him, which had, of course, no effect at all. Except that I sometimes had the feeling that I saw a little glint in his eye as if he was telling me:" Yeah, I know I drive you mad. I know you want to kill me. But guess what. You can't and I'm enjoying ever second of your despair."

Apart from that the only other things that I found a bit disappointing were the boss-battles. Especially Demise was really anticlimatic and, if you had the Hylia shield, fairly easy. But most of the bosses weren't as good as in the games before which is sad because with some of the new Items there would have been a lot of possibilities.

But besides those minor complaints I have to say that I had 55 hours of Fun with Skyward Sword.

farnham

Banned
I really loved the mechanic in the 3rd dungeon (timeshift) and now I reach the sand sea and its one of the most amazing things i have seen in videogames..

The Gentleman

Neo Member
Here's a nice subtle detail I chanced upon. While smashing a couple pots somewhere in the sand sea, some hearts and ants came out. It amused me when I noticed that the ants proceeded to carry the hearts away! It's those kind of absurdly minor flourishes that Nintendo adds to their games that I love.

leroidys

Here's a nice subtle detail I chanced upon. While smashing a couple pots somewhere in the sand sea, some hearts and ants came out. It amused me when I noticed that the ants proceeded to carry the hearts away! It's those kind of absurdly minor flourishes that Nintendo adds to their games that I love.

I never noticed that!

The Gentleman

Neo Member
As for the sword mechanics I was really impressed and had to wonder how it comes that so many people say that they don't work because they do and that is that. Evertime when I thought that they didn't work as I wanted them to work I paid attention to what I was really doing with the Wii Motion+ and realized that I wasn't doing what I thought I was doing therefore messing up. So evertime I read someone saying how shitty the controls were I got a little bit angry because, Sorry it's not the controls, it's you.

Nezumi's review was very insightful, and I agree with almost everything he said. As for the frustrations with the control, I'll point out two areas where even after two play-throughs, I still struggle a bit:

1.) Any boss that requires a thrust attack. Specifically, I recall aggravation with the scorpion and the third encounter with Ghirahim. I was rarely able to consistently execute a thrust, and often was nailed by a cheap unblockable attacks as a result. I wonder if Nintendo could have amended the controls to make the move easier to execute, or if I'm just missing something obvious.

2.) In fact, both of the earlier Ghirahim encounters can be annoying. Sometimes during the boss rush, I can defeat him very quickly, other times it seems like it takes forever to get beyond the first stage of the fight when he blocks your attacks with his gloved hand. Every time I land an attack, I feel like it's as much due to luck as it is skill (and the designers seems to recognize this, as they clearly designed him to let the player take as much time as they need without worrying about taking damage. He'll almost never land an attack at this point of the fight, even if you take five or ten minutes to land the initial series of blows necessary for him to summon his blade).

I'd love to learn what I'm missing, because for the most part swordplay is incredibly fun in the game.

PS: I completely agree with you regarding the Roulette mini-game (except that I love the clown character!). It took me forever to earn the heart piece during my first play-through, though remarkably on my second play-through I nailed it on my first attempt.

Nezumi

Nezumi's review was very insightful, and I agree with almost everything she said. As for the frustrations with the control, I'll point out two areas where even after two play-throughs, I still struggle a bit:

1.) Any boss that requires a thrust attack. Specifically, I recall aggravation with the scorpion and the third encounter with Ghirahim. I was rarely able to consistently execute a thrust, and often was nailed by a cheap unblockable attacks as a result. I wonder if Nintendo could have amended the controls to make the move easier to execute, or if I'm just missing something obvious.

2.) In fact, both of the earlier Ghirahim encounters can be annoying. Sometimes during the boss rush, I can defeat him very quickly, other times it seems like it takes forever to get beyond the first stage of the fight when he blocks your attacks with his gloved hand. Every time I land an attack, I feel like it's as much due to luck as it is skill (and the designers seems to recognize this, as they clearly designed him to let the player take as much time as they need without worrying about taking damage. He'll almost never land an attack at this point of the fight, even if you take five or ten minutes to land the initial series of blows necessary for him to summon his blade).

I corrected a little fact in your text above :)

Apart from that I have to admit that the thrust is possibly the hardest attack to get right in a hurry. But like with all other fighting in the game I think that it helps to be calm and really think about what you want do. Being hectic is always bad in all of the swordfighting in Skyward Sword which is, I might guess, the biggest reason for so many peoble having problems with it.

As for the fight with Ghirahim, I remember that beating him the first time was a real struggle for me. The trick to beating his first phase is to lock on to him and move the sword around (not hitting him just move the sword in circle or so). At some point he will stop moving his hand and than you can hit him. I think that a horizontal strike from the left works good. Because now your attack is supposed to blocked from his view...

Yusaku

Just beat it last night (was busy with Skyrim last year). radioheadrule83 on page 1 basically described everything I liked about the game, so I wont repeat it.

I did feel rather blah about the game the whole way through to the end, though. The stuff with the harp and learning songs just seemed really tacked on, like "oh well I guess we need to have an instrument and make you learn songs because that's what we do in Zelda games." The songs were lame and unforgettable. And was I the only one really creeped out by how Fi looked when she was singing?

I was looking forward to Skyward Sword as a "Wind Waker in the sky," but it disappoints there. Wind Waker felt like this huge world to explore, with tons of little islands with cool secrets to discover. The world of Skyward Sword felt extremely small, and the most you would discover would be a chest that you would need a goddess cube to unlock anyways. It did however share one of the downsides of Wind Waker, pointless diversions meant to stall you and aren't any fun at all (spirit realm collecting, tadtones).

The ending is very cool in a way for Zelda fans because it clearly establishes an origin story, but because of that it feels very anticlimactic. "Yeah you beat me this time but I'm totally just gonna chill and come back a zillion times as Ganondorf or any number of baddies, so nyah!" The final battle felt very easy and combat overall in the game was a let down. Everything boiled down to "swing in the correct direction to kill the enemy to win."

As I mentioned before, radioheadrule83 got the good stuff I liked. I just felt like venting about the stuff that bothered me. I feel like replaying The Wind Waker now because that was a game I remember very fondly (minus fishing for triforce pieces) and I'd be curious to see how it compares to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

EDIT: Oh, I also thought it was weird that Zelda was the goddess born in mortal form. Helllooo Jesus. And then at the end of the game it's just Link and Zelda on the ground as their loftwings fly away, as if they are Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden. Creeepy.

EDIT 2: The old woman in the present being Impa from the past was like the least shocking surprise ever. When Zelda is all OMG NO WAIIII~ at the end I wanted to smack her for not figuring it out.

dave_d

And was I the only one really creeped out by how Fi looked when she was singing?

Nope. To me she looked less like she was singing and more like she was screaming at the top of her lungs. I mean if she brought her hands to her face she'd look just like the painting "The Scream". (Come to thinking of it did she even have arms?)

Oh, I was another that had problems just doing a stab. I think the issue I was having is that when I'd do a stab I'd move my shield hand so I could drive my shoulder behind it. Doing that results in a spin slash. (But that's not the only time I had problems getting the game to actually interpret my movements correctly.) Still haven't beaten the game. (I haven't gone back to finish it even though I'm apparently at the 2nd to last boss or 3rd to last depending on how you count it.)

Oh well, at this point my favorite 3d Zelda is still Wind Waker by far. (But I haven't played Twilight Princess enough to rule it out.) So when is the remake for WW coming out for the 3ds? (You know, with the 2 dungeons they had to rip out because of time issues. I guess after Majora's Mask is the pretty much to go to answer.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I had no problems stabbing until the final Girahim fight, by which I'd let my sword work get sloppy. As soon as I took a deep breath, slowed down and methodically attacked him I had no problems with the stab.

Nyoro SF

I had no problems stabbing until the final Girahim fight, by which I'd let my sword work get sloppy. As soon as I took a deep breath, slowed down and methodically attacked him I had no problems with the stab.

That fight I had more trouble keeping my hand level when he switch sword blocking. Took about 4 tries.

finished the game a couple weeks ago, clocked 48 hours. such a beautiful game all around, the criticism and hatred it gets here really doesn't bother me even though I struggle to understand most of it

first, art direction and animations: top notch. Nintendo really created charismatic NPCs with a well rounded personality, all according to Zelda's tradition. Graphics are clean and varied, although obviously with thre shortcomings one would expect from the Wii

world structure: this is where Nintendo really went skyhigh. I absolutely loved the way the path to reach a dungeon is bigger and more enigmatic than the dungeons themselves, with dozens of riddles, secrets, intricacies. It's all a bit linear but who cares? Absolutely satisfactory, enormous when it comes to content with new zones opening after your eyes to explore and, most importantly, zero empty zones to walk through. I don't know if I'd want the next Zewlda to feature the same structure but if this is the result then I can't choose to go back to the old barren overworld

gameplay: perfect. Yeah, lots of people hated motion controls and Fi. I didn't find it annoying at all because it's not. Maybe I'm just not so easily bored by a two seconds animation or the fact I have to *gasp* press a button to recalibrate the 'mote. Stellar dungeons, great sidequests (I've actually completed all of them, first time i've ever done it in a Zelda game), incredible inventiveness, solid swordplay, new ideas as if there's no tomorrow. And the final showdown is really apocalyptic, something I had never seen in a Zelda before

music: a bit too epic for my tastes. SS isn't that epic (minus said final fight), so i giggled every time me and my bird flew away and the super-armageddon badass music kicked in. I was like "Great music but ehhh, what's it doing here?". All in all, excellent sound effects, strokes of genius (the bazaar) and the main theme is wonderful

story, characters, other stuff: story is always a bit by the numbers, not particularly bold nor exciting, but it's the characters what made me want to see the end of it. Zelda is beautiful, Groose is legendary, Ghirahim is hilarious, and the Mogmas deserve to be in every Zelda. a couple of them creeped the heck out of me like the final boss. I was like, "Damn, SFIV meets Zelda". A nice unexpected touch

so, I loved this. It's a 10 in my book. Don't care about any of the criticism, I've eaten this game alive and my belly was fully satisfied. Now I want the next Zelda to be on the same level, with motion controls and the same amount of bold inventions. Anything less than what SS achieved would be disappointing

Nicktals

Banned
As for the stuff I didn't like first thing that comes to mind was the Roulette-Minigame for two reasons.
First I think that a minigame in general should either be based on luck or be based on skill. It should never (IMO) be based on both because frustration is guaranteed. In a minigame based on luck you don't mind if you fail because, well, it's luck, you can't do anything about it. If it is skill based, than you know that you have to get better, simple as that. But here even if you get the skill part right you still can mess up because it depends on luck if you will be able to land on the right field. That is frustrating.

Gotta disagree with you there. There isn't any luck involved. You can't really argue otherwise. The wheel spins at a set speed, and you're in control of your own speed. It's simply learning the timing and the best way to approach the 50 rupee field. I loved this game, and played it quite a lot, because I love the skydiving mechanics with the WM+. I got to the point where this game broke any sort of rupee shortage or balancing. As soon as my max rupees were high enough I could buy any item in the game. And since I tend to do every sidequest and explore a lot I had this ability pretty early in the game. I could spend 1000 rupees and then refill my wallet with this game in about 10 minutes. Sure I didn't have a 100% success rate, but even when I failed it's because my approach wasn't right, not because of luck.

I never once noticed this either! Great find!

I can't be bothered to replay the game because of the super annoying Imprisoned sections, which could be some of the worst game design in the entire series, and the Tadtone hunt which is also some of the worst game design in the series. Also the item recovery part at Eldin. Not good IMO.

If these things didn't exist it would be one of my favorite Zelda's, but they do, so it's not.

I can't be bothered to replay the game because of the super annoying Imprisoned sections, which could be some of the worst game design in the entire series, and the Tadtone hunt which is also some of the worst game design in the series. Also the item recovery part at Eldin. Not good IMO.

If these things didn't exist it would be one of my favorite Zelda's, but they do, so it's not.

Completely agree. There is so much brilliance in here, but at times, it makes you question the sanity of whoever thought some of that stuff was good.

well i must be crazy then because I enjoyed those sections. The Imprisoned was a bit clumsy because of the fact you coulnd't walk past his gynormous crotch while trying to reach the pillar, but still, small beans

well i must be crazy then because I enjoyed those sections. The Imprisoned was a bit clumsy because of the fact you coulnd't walk past his gynormous crotch while trying to reach the pillar, but still, small beans

I think it's one of those things that should have certainly been side quests. The game already had a fair amount of padding to it, but those sections just screamed "tacked on". I wouldn't mind that sort of thing if I could do it at my leisure, but stuff like that really breaks my immersion and pretty much derails the quest at hand. I really agree with the God of War creator when he said that there is a time to end a game, and you don't want to end it long past the time a player is enjoyably expecting it to. Really just felt like nintendo was trying to push the game to a certain length.

I think it's one of those things that should have certainly been side quests. The game already had a fair amount of padding to it, but those sections just screamed "tacked on". I wouldn't mind that sort of thing if I could do it at my leisure, but stuff like that really breaks my immersion and pretty much derails the quest at hand. I really agree with the God of War creator when he said that there is a time to end a game, and you don't want to end it long past the time a player is enjoyably expecting it to. Really just felt like nintendo was trying to push the game to a certain length.

there's been a time when i thought to myself "Another Imprisoned rush section?" because yeah, it was one too many, but still, how much does one of those fights last? Five minutes tops for me, that's why I wasn't that annoyed by the fact you had to fight him a bazillion times. The item recovery part was so damn easy because I already knew where to find those items, since I took my time and explored the game finding those objects way before it'd become mandatory. And the tadtole hunt was fun! Controls worked well and there was no rush because bubbles are everywhere. I don't want to argue with anyone's legit criticism but I feel SS gets too much flak for such small annoyances in my opinion

there's been a time when i thought to myself "Another Imprisoned rush section?" because yeah, it was one too many, but still, how much does one of those fights last? Five minutes tops for me, that's why I wasn't that annoyed by the fact you had to fight him a bazillion times. The item recovery part was so damn easy because I already knew where to find those items, since I took my time and explored the game finding those objects way before it'd become mandatory. And the tadtole hunt was fun! Controls worked well and there was no rush because bubbles are everywhere. I don't want to argue with anyone's legit criticism but I feel SS gets too much flak for such small annoyances in my opinion

Honestly, most of the bad things I have to say about the game are outweighed by a huge margin because of everything good. The only aspect of the game that I truly hated with a passion was Fi and her nagging. I still like her actual character a lot though.

Digging tunnels controlled like an old Atari game, and was about as much fun.

Digging tunnels may have been reminiscent of some other games, but it specifically functioned like a game boy puzzle game- Mole Mania. The mechanics were very similar, and I don't think it was any coincidence that the mole mitts enabled it. Mole Mania was, incidentally, built on Link's Awakening's engine. I just wish that they had mixed it up a little more than throwing a few switches and lanmola fights at you underground, as there were some very clever puzzles in Mole Mania.

Honestly, most of the bad things I have to say about the game are outweighed by a huge margin because of everything good. The only aspect of the game that I truly hated with a passion was Fi and her nagging. I still like her actual character a lot though.

I wish people would follow your placid reasoning and not overreact like they do with SS, but then again me and Gaf clashed about Zelda since Minish Cap

Ninjimbo

Every game has its issues. In Zelda's case, I don't understand how stuff like Fi's advice or a small fetch quest ruins the entire game for some people. When I think about SS, it was damn near flawless to me. Everything you did in LaNayru completely blew my mind.

farnham

Banned
So I finished the game finally. The last boss was kinda weaksauce with the guardian potion plus and the potion medlal.

overall i found the game to be extremely charming. It felt limited due to the fact that you only have 3 themes (fire, woods and sand with timeshift mechanic) that are repeated over and over. however these wee done extremely well in my opinion. (i especially liked the sand/timeshift region in particular the sand sea) i feel like i would have liked a few more dungeons overall but the existing ones were very solid so i will not complain.

the side quests are also very well done. all the characters starting from groose to beedle to peatrice are unique and memorable.

controlwise the game just is remarkable. the sword, the bombs, the beatle everything just controls perfectly with wii motion plus and I really just hope that they will implement this in the wiiU version as well.

on the story part the game is an important link for the whole Zelda franchise since it seems to explain a lot about the beginning of hyrule etc. I also liked that there was a lot more hints about zelda and links emotions then any other game so far (the furthest they got was probably the ending of oot)

overall I think it wasnt quite as good as twilight princess (mainly due to the lacking amount of dungeons) but they compensated a lot by making the areas between the dungeons more dungeon like so it was definately a better experience for me gameplaywise then windwaker or majoras mask.

Chairhome

Finally beat it (being a parent gamer takes time). I loved a lot of this game, but some of it dragged. Spent way too much time trying to get the shield from the Lightning Dragon God, I was dumb and overshot the shield reward cause I was hoping to get ALL the rewards when finishing all fights.

Ending was underwhelming though. The Impa reveal was dumb because everyone figured it out after going through the gate of time the first time. Seeing the Master sword in that setting after you put it away was kind of cool though. I was hoping for a big reveal like Groose is the old man who gives you the sword from the first game or something, haha.

Final fight was a little weak, too. I loved WW's final fight (and how it finishes), but I was half hoping Demise had another form.

I probably won't try to finish the side quests or hero mode. I'll have fun watching my wife go through the game though.

Myriadis

Ending was underwhelming though. The Impa reveal was dumb because everyone figured it out after going through the gate of time the first time.

To be honest, I didn't notice it at all.

I'm playing Twilight Princess on the Wii right now for the first time, and besides the "muscle memory" (I now always try to throw the bombs by flicking the Wiimote) I notice how they actually listened to the complains.
Rupees are now used in more ways (and in my case, I actually had to farm them).There are more sidequests and they're a lot more interesting, even with different ways to finish them. The game is definitely more difficult, and bosses are way more challenging. There are multiple ways to defeat some of the bosses, especially the final boss. Each item gets used more and there aren't too much items.
The strange thing, however, is that they didn't use some of the good things from TP (exploration of bigger optional caves, instant Text by pressing A, skippable cutscnenes from the beginning).

And I notice that Skyward Sword is actually better than Twilight Princess, even though TP is one of my favorite Zeldas. The mechanics in SS are such huge improvements than in TP and WW, which already improved on the mechanics of OoT and MM.

PokéKong

Groose could literally carry a game as a protagonist, he probably has the strongest and most clearly presented character development arch of anyone in a Zelda game yet.

He has a full range of emotions, he has wishes and needs and clear motivation, he goes through drastic personal changes, he feels remorse, and he fully redeems his past regressions in the end.

If Nintendo ever wants to get super risky, and have a Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke style story where there is no absolute evil or clear "bad guy" or good guys and everyone is an understandable human, then filling it with characters like Groose would be on the right track.

abasm

I feel like Nintendo is aspiring to bring more Ghibli-esque characteristics into the Zelda series. Ghibli tales strike a nice balance between the fantastic and the human that would complement Zelda nicely.

Top Bottom