• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda TotK has Nintendo's biggest ever launch week sales in France at retail (500k physical only)

Environ 500 000 ventes physiques pour Zelda TOTK en France pour sa première semaine. C'est un démarrage nettement supérieur à celui du dernier Pokémon. C'est plus que le lancement de Red Dead Redemption II ou des derniers FIFA.

The Legend of Zelda TotK had an insane launch in France and sets a Nintendo record by beating Pokemon Sun/Moon's 425k retail launch in 2016. TotK also launched higher than Red Dead Redemption 2 which had a gigantic multi platform launch.

Compared to Breath of the Wild Launch:

GFK - Week 09, 2017 (Feb 27 - Mar 05) - Individual Formats (Units) [Retail]

[NSW] THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD [COLECTOR INCLUED] (NINTENDO) - 96.000 / NEW

[WIU] THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD (NINTENDO) - 34.000 / NEW

Compared to the Previous Biggest Nintendo Launch:

GFK - Week 47, 2016 (Nov 21 - Nov 27) - All Formats (Units) [Retail]

01 (NE) POKEMON SUN / MOON (NINTENDO) - 425.000 / NEW

Compared to Switch's biggest launch:

Week 46, 2022 - Individual Formats (Units) [Retail]

01 (NE) [NSW] POKEMON SCARLET / VIOLET (NINTENDO) - 360.000 / NEW

It is already closing in on BOTW physical sales at the end of 2017 (10 months)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 511.191

Last reported BOTW sales in France were 1.25M physical-only at the end of 2021. It didn't chart in the 2022 rankings

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

atomic bomb explosion GIF

Nautilus

Banned
That makes 500k and 208k for 708k physical for France plus the UK. If the digital ratio is 30% then a total of 1 million and if it is 40% then that will be a total of 1.13 million in just 2 countries. Could The game hit 2.5 to 3 million in Europe in it's 1st week?
Very likely. I would argue that there is a very real chance that is closer to 4 million.

Woopah

For context, this is the top 3 selling physical SKUs in France for all of 2022.

01./00. [PS4] FIFA 23 (Electronic Arts) {2022.09.30} (58€) - 736.265 / NEW <25,93%>
02./00. [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Nintendo) {2022.01.28} (49€) - 589.375 / NEW
03./02. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (48€) - 451.254 / 3.069.360 (-10%)

So TOTK would already be 3rd.

Could Totk match Pokemon Scarlet/Violet's launch week of 10 million? I think it will outsell Pokemon in North America, Europe and Other regions but in Japan it will be about 2.5 million down. Pokemon Scarle/Violet opened with 4.05 million and i'm expecting a 1 million physical and 1.5 million physical+digital Japanese opening for TotK.

Last edited:
The comparisons to BotW launch are sorta pointless and not helpful, imho. It was a day one launch title. So it started on a platform with 0, and grew alongside it.

A better comparison would be like a major first-party AAA title on Switch 5+ years into the lifecycle. Or the Zelda sequel on the Wii. Not unit sales but ratio of sales vs platform install base, or percentage decline in sales of sequel vs original on the same platform. (Again, SS would be a decent comparison).

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
The comparisons to BotW launch are sorta pointless and not helpful, imho. It was a day one launch title. So it started on a platform with 0, and grew alongside it.

A better comparison would be like a major first-party AAA title on Switch 5+ years into the lifecycle. Or the Zelda sequel on the Wii. Not unit sales but ratio of sales vs platform install base, or percentage decline in sales of sequel vs original on the same platform. (Again, SS would be a decent comparison).
skyward sword sold 500k copies week 1, in the US, about 1 million worldwide
and if you bothered to read the thread, it outsold every other switch launch,
tears of the kingdom's sales are massive,

skyward sword sold 500k copies week 1, in the US, about 1 million worldwide
and if you bothered to read the thread, it outsold every other switch launch,
tears of the kingdom's sales are massive,
Your attitude is unnecessary. I did bother to read the thread. So, grow up. And also, if you bothered to read my post, my comment only pertains to comparisons to botw’s launch sales. No need to act as an unpaid TotK Sales Defense Force soldier. No one is denying it’s selling well. Don’t worry, Nintendo will be able to afford next month’s electric bill. Rest assured, you can sleep safe tonight knowing a giant corporation will continue to be very profitable. 👍

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Your attitude is unnecessary. I did bother to read the thread. So, grow up. And also, if you bothered to read my post, my comment only pertains to comparisons to botw’s launch sales. No need to act as an unpaid TotK Sales Defense Force soldier. No one is denying it’s selling well. Don’t worry, Nintendo will be able to afford next month’s electric bill. Rest assured, you can sleep safe tonight knowing a giant corporation will continue to be very profitable. 👍
awhhhh,,poor guy can't deal with anything, and yes I will enjoy my upcoming dividends from Nintendo very much, much as I enjoyed my last few.

MrA

Banned
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...-158m-update-between-159-2m-and-161-9m.77277/

"PS2 LTD is a minimum of 159.2m and a maximum of 161.9m".

Better use this than that vgchartz number.
topping the ps2 is no easy task whether it be 158 or 162 million, if Nintendo can hit its goal of 15 million this year, the Switch, might, just might squeak past it, but nintendo will have to either go hard into new markets, or offer excellent reasons to buy a switch after it's successor launches

Nautilus

Banned
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...-158m-update-between-159-2m-and-161-9m.77277/

"PS2 LTD is a minimum of 159.2m and a maximum of 161.9m".

Better use this than that vgchartz number.
That's just an estimation, as some claim it is at 158 million, and others is at 159 million. I feel like using 155 million is the most "accurate" one, but fine. If the Switch reaches 156 million, its not like it won't reach 160 million. Nintendo already estimates that the Switch will be at around 141 million by march 2024, at any rate.

TLZ

Banned
That's just an estimation, as some claim it is at 158 million, and others is at 159 million. I feel like using 155 million is the most "accurate" one, but fine. If the Switch reaches 156 million, its not like it won't reach 160 million. Nintendo already estimates that the Switch will be at around 141 million by march 2024, at any rate.
We shall see!

What a complete mic-drop moment for Nintendo, especially after the Mario movie. Imagine how their CEO feels around now after the pressure to fill Iwata's shoes, sipping tea somewhere
I think his job is basically to control costs, be reasonable about what the next year will look like business-wise, and just let the hardware and software teams do their thing. As long as great products are regularly coming out that people want to buy, his job is pretty cake. Iwata came up as a software engineer, so it was hard for him to fully let go of that and give the software management to others.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I think his job is basically to control costs, be reasonable about what the next year will look like business-wise, and just let the hardware and software teams do their thing. As long as great products are regularly coming out that people want to buy, his job is pretty cake. Iwata came up as a software engineer, so it was hard for him to fully let go of that and give the software management to others.

His role is definitely way different than Iwata, but Iwata was a legend and checked out during his only fuck up (Wii U).

There is no way Furukawa walked into that without sweating bullets.

His role is definitely way different than Iwata, but Iwata was a legend and checked out during his only fuck up (Wii U).

There is no way Furukawa walked into that without sweating bullets.
He took over for Kimishima in 2018, and by that time the Switch was already a mega-hit and the business was on a great trajectory to keep doing better every year then and after. Optimal time to join, when things are good. But if/when they have another super rough platform transition like what happened between Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS, it'll be his first real test.

Especially now that they've made it so they only have one bucket instead of two. But Furukawa, like Kimishima, worked for a long time alongside Iwata, and no doubt gained a firm grasp on the business from him, and what Nintendo needs to do to be unique.

Last edited:
The last official figure is 155 million by Sony, however they didn't report the final FY that the PS2 was on sale. We did get numbers of 16.5 million for PS3+PS2 for FY 12/13. Based on the PS3 lifetime sales and FY 13/14 and FY 14/15 sales which we did get numbers for i'm confident that the 16.5 million was split 12.8m PS3 and 3.7m PS2. so that would mean 155+3.7 = 158.7 million for PS2. Anything under 158.5 million or over 159 million doesn't make sense because it would mean the PS3 would'nt line up with it's final tally of 87.4 million.

BlackTron

He took over for Kimishima in 2018, and by that time the Switch was already a mega-hit and the business was on a great trajectory to keep doing better every year then and after. Optimal time to join, when things are good. But if/when they have another super rough platform transition like what happened between Wii/DS to Wii U/3DS, it'll be his first real test.

Especially now that they've made it so they only have one bucket instead of two. But Furukawa, like Kimishima, worked for a long time alongside Iwata, and no doubt gained a firm grasp on the business from him, and what Nintendo needs to do to be unique.

Wow I got confused and forgot there was an additional CEO. I guess after Iwata they started running together. Now that you said it, it does seem obvious, I should have remembered a new CEO and Iwata's passing at VERY different times

BlackTron

Omelette du fromage! :messenger_open_mouth:
Everything I need to know about French I learned from Cartoon Network

Edit: It's so random that just like yesterday something reminded me that Dexter's password was Star Wars and I had to smile thinking about this episode I haven't seen in 20 years

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
The last official figure is 155 million by Sony, however they didn't report the final FY that the PS2 was on sale. We did get numbers of 16.5 million for PS3+PS2 for FY 12/13. Based on the PS3 lifetime sales and FY 13/14 and FY 14/15 sales which we did get numbers for i'm confident that the 16.5 million was split 12.8m PS3 and 3.7m PS2. so that would mean 155+3.7 = 158.7 million for PS2. Anything under 158.5 million or over 159 million doesn't make sense because it would mean the PS3 would'nt line up with it's final tally of 87.4 million.
Still, the official figure is 155 million. Again, I get your reasoning, but we should go by the figures that the companies themselves gives us.

But like I said before, its not like a difference of 3 million will make that much of a difference at the pace the Switch is going.

Top Bottom