• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U announced - "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"

So since nobody made a more general thread yet, I will try!

The Legend of Zelda WiiU

• Still in conceptual development phase
  • Development Mission: "Rethink the conventions of Zelda"
  • Probably some kind of multiplayer, co-op
  • Probably Open-world, less linear

zeldaujozj.jpg

Release: Likely 2015

b9vkki.gif

I posted this in the other thread, but I really want a totally new art style for this game. I think that was what made WW so refreshing was the 180 in art direction. I want the same kind of redefinition of art in the new Zelda, especially now that we are in the Nintendo HD era. Also, if they add something like multiplayer I am ok with that, as long as it does not take away from the single player experience. I do not want to feel like I am missing out on something because I am playing the game as a single player. Finally, I really want them to utilize the controller screen with some innovative game play elements that could not have been done with out it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
isn't this what they said about skyward sword? lol

Yeah, but Aonuma did note this in the feed, and wanting to take it further than Skyward Sword.

Croc

Banned
They say this same shit every time.

Not specifics but every time they say they're switching stuff up and then people are disappointed anyways when it's not that different.

Nintendo a company that goes from not giving out info about anything until 3 months prior to release to announcing the concept for games that haven't left the whiteboard.

Panic mode big time.

Still everything he said sounded good to me.

Nerdstrom

Banned
2015? Will be awesome to play but won't that be a little late sales boost wise? I wonder where Mario is at in development now. It can't be 2 years for both. It can't be another 1 year for Mario.

Mainline Zelda MP?

Getout.gif

keep that to 3DS or 4Swords or whatever. I did Wind Waker "MP" alone with my GBA. Let's see if they do a Tingle App for 3DS with the new Wind Waker. That's about as much MP/co-op I can tolerate in a mainline console Zelda.

Not specifics but every time they say they're switching stuff up and then people are disappointed anyways when it's not that different.

If by "every time" you mean "the last time" and yeah, Skyward Sword did change a bunch of stuff to the point that people hated it.

Was wondering why nobody made this thread. :p

I greatly look forward for the game's future announcement. I'm sure it'll be glorious. However, please don't forget to show off the 3DS Zelda, too, Nintendo...

entremet

Nintendo a company that goes from not giving out info about anything until 3 months prior to release to announcing the concept for games that haven't left the whiteboard.

Panic mode big time.

Still everything he said sounded good to me.

Forget about Twilight Princess? It announced way before release.

RagnarokX

I'm worried about making the game too non-linear. If you make the dungeons doable in any order you inevitably have to reduce the puzzle complexity and use of items that define the 3D games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
isn't this what they said about skyward sword? lol

SS wasn't structured as one of the previous 3D Zelda, btw.
they changed a lot in terms of pre-dungeon exploration, the fact that a lot of people didn't like it doesn't change that (especially when the critics were based on comparisons with previous overworlds)

iavi

Yeah, to echo, they say this every time. Ill believe it when I see it.

Open world Zelda with seamless loading and a catchy ost. That'd actually be enough.

nickcv

what i want:

dungeons have two main designs:
single player and multiplayer

when you play multiplayer the puzzles are all different and need player collaboration to be solved

this would give replayability to the game and make you want to beat it in both modes.

in multiplayer all the playable characters are different colored links, like in four swords.

anyhow this game is going to have a huge overworld thanks to the not ordered dungeons.
gonna be amazing

guek

Banned
SS wasn't structured as one of the previous 3D Zelda, btw.
they changed a lot in terms of pre-dungeon exploration, the fact that a lot of people didn't like it doesn't change that (especially when the critics were based on comparisons with previous overworlds)

The outer/inner dungeon mechanic was brilliant. Everything on the ground really did feel like on giant dungeon. Now they just need to keep that aspect and vastly expand the scope. It needs an infusion of Xenoblade in the respect.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Yeah the problem is you can't seem to make the Zelda fanbase happy a a whole, and you can't make people who don't like Zelda happy because what they want, to be frank about it, is someone else's idea of an RPG. Not Zelda.

Skyward Sword did change a lot of things up, it did pack in a lot of fresh spins on ideas, and tons of fans still turned their nose up at it. Aonuma said here that SS didn't go as far as they wanted.

Now where the real joke will come in, is if they release an actual non-linear Zelda where you can tackle at least much of the game in a personal order (something like ALTTP level of non-linearity). Where, on paper, the game has everything that the conglomerated bitching of the fandom demands. And people still single out something to say it's the same old shit and nothing new.

Like the fact that Link wears the same hat, the sword is called Master Sword, or maybe they reuse a few dungeon themes, or maybe it has bottles. Or maybe that it's just plain not exactly like _________ recent non-Zelda game that's so awesome.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The outer/inner dungeon mechanic was brilliant. Everything on the ground really did feel like on giant dungeon. Now they just need to keep that aspect and vastly expand the scope. It needs an infusion of Xenoblade in the respect.

I quote you.
And don't forget the day/night cycle, please

I really hope they are serious with that mission statement. I want something new with the series. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were interesting, but they couldn't hold me long enough to see them through.

Fingers crossed. I woke up this morning to news that made me somewhat interested in the Wii U. That's cool.

Top Bottom