• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

For those worried about shrine puzzle variety, I'm almost 100% convinced that every shrine was designed by a different game developer, so puzzle variety should be much more visible than we're used to in Zelda games.

I say this because the shrine names are almost definitely anagrams of the game developers' names (the first one is clearly Aonuma) and because the monks at the end clearly say that the shrine is a trial "I created" which really seems like a fairly meta phrasing.

All right, so they clearly need to capitalise on this and have random shrines that appear featuring player-designed puzzles, with the shrines named after the player's NNID.

PKrockin

tumblr_o8s0gmb9DO1u5sf4oo1_500.gif

Oh shit, someone send this to Nintendo. We should be able to put a bomb down, start snowboarding, the blow it up to do this.
Dude, you can use items while snowboarding and bombs detonate remotely. I can't believe it, but it might be possible.

All right, so they clearly need to capitalise on this and have random shrines that appear featuring player-designed puzzles, with the shrines named after the player's NNID.

Wow that would be spectacular, a really ridiculous miiverse integration. Now I'll be sad if we don't get that, designing Zelda puzzles is pretty much my dream.

Caelus

I think they might actually incorporate something like this, since one of the conventions they listed as wanting to break was "Play by yourself." Whoa.

Shifting dungeon content to being 100% optional is the single most massive change the series has seen in structure since the original game (which still required you to get all 8 triforce shards and the silver arrows unless you used bugs), and I think it's what the franchise needed to remain relevant in the mass market.

I've been saying since ALBW's release that that game's reception showed just how little the end user cared for traditional dungeon structure, and BOTW's Skyrim style "hundreds of caves" interpretation better reflects the priorities of the playerbase.

Whoa, that's very plausible and awesome if true!

Oh shit you might be on to something. That would be awesome

Didn't think of that, good guess.

That makes too much sense and would ve awesome if true.
We already know the name of 4 shrines, if anyone is good at anagrams please try

That might be true because it seems they trolled people who could be able to decipher the alphabet.

Oh snap. What were the other names? Was there a Tiya Momo?

Woah. You may have stumbled upon something cool.

That's very interesting. Time to tell GameXplain :p

Hoping a "Shrine of Ta Iwa" now...

;_;

Thanks all!

Unappreciated post? Unappreciated post.

Apparently not!

Ke Numut
Owa Daim
Ja Baij

Okay next step is to find a list of developers who often work on Zelda games. I don't know if we'll be able to find a list of people working on this particular game yet, but we can get a good idea of who is based on the past games I would think.

And yeah I really would love to see a tribute Ta Iwa shrine... :(

Instro

For those worried about shrine puzzle variety, I'm almost 100% convinced that every shrine was designed by a different game developer, so puzzle variety should be much more visible than we're used to in Zelda games.

I say this because the shrine names are almost definitely anagrams of the game developers' names (the first one is clearly Aonuma) and because the monks at the end clearly say that the shrine is a trial "I created" which really seems like a fairly meta phrasing.

Hmm a good thought. Maybe someone can put this forward to gaming journos to ask at E3.

I can't believe we're seeing something like that as a real possibility from the latest Zelda game.
You told 10yo me that I would be able to consider this possible would blow my 10yo mind

You tell me right now that this might be possible and it still blows my mind

phanphare

Banned

oh wow, that would be awesome

nice find

Watching the direct feed, I've noticed that they're using a 'loose tile' sound effect for every rocky surface, and it makes Link sound like he's a walking ceramic vase. It's starting to irk me.

Peterc

This new Zelda still looks a lot like Skyward Sword to me just with more vegetation. I think Witcher 3 satisfied all my craving for a next gen role playing action adventure. I'd be very surprised if this turns out to be as good the Witcher 3 or Xenoblade Wii U.

Witcher 3 has to much cutscenes and the fight systes looks outdated.
The rest is ok.

Zelda doesn't have both of that, i could tell you it would be 10x times that good. They have put the most and longest work into this game, so i don't worry about that.

If i liked to watch cutscenes, i'll pick a movie on the way.

DEAR MIYAMOTO ALMIGHTY

deleted

Just to address the elephant in the room:

From what we've seen so far, the quick access menus in this game would match up just perfectly with the scrollable shoulder button patent we know of.

Select weapon with the left wheel, select ammunition/arrows/bomb style with the right one.

Matbtz

Just to address the elephant in the room:

From what we've seen so far, the quick access menus in this game would match up just perfectly with the scrollable shoulder button patent we know of.

Select weapon with the left wheel, select ammunition/arrows/bomb style with the right one.

Yep this could be really cool and really convenient to use !

That sounds really great. They seemingly share some assets so I imagine they're fairly easy to construct so it's cool that they're experimenting with them. If some aren't too great, well that's fine sine it's just 1/100.
I wonder if most of the mini dungeons will give you magic if you need it. Would be a cool way of handling it instead of having to find one sanctuary for the magnet magic and potentially missing it for the rest of the game.

That sounds really great. They seemingly share some assets so I imagine they're fairly easy to construct so it's cool that they're experimenting with them. If some aren't too great, well that's fine sine it's just 1/100.
I wonder if most of the mini dungeons will give you magic if you need it. Would be a cool way of handling it instead of having to find one sanctuary for the magnet magic and potentially missing it for the rest of the game.

Given that you need to go to the first four shrines to get the paraglider, and you need that to leave the plateau, I don't think this will be an issue

Maybe I missed it, but the only thing that bothers me is that We haven't really never had a thick, dense, forest in a Zelda game except for LTTP Lost Woods. Maybe other Zelda games, too, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So far from what I've seen, you have a lot of trees spread out with open areas. I want to explore a heavily dense, ominous forest in a Zelda game.

Chaos17

Maybe I missed it, but the only thing that bothers me is that We haven't really never had a thick, dense, forest in a Zelda game except for LTTP Lost Woods. Maybe other Zelda games, too, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So far from what I've seen, you have a lot of trees spread out with open areas. I want to explore a heavily dense, ominous forest in a Zelda game.

Yeah, most of the medias we've show case mainly the first area landscape same for the enemies. We will have to wait and see.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm betting there will be a region that consists of dense forests... the majority of what we've seen has been in the plateau which is apparently less than 2% of the game.

Related to that, I'm betting there will be a parallel world theme- something like the dark world/twilight realm or the past/future. The plateau looks like quite a bit more than 2% of the maps we've seen, but if a parallel world gives us a map that's essentially twice the size we've seen then it starts to sound more reasonable.

Given that you need to go to the first four shrines to get the paraglider, and you need that to leave the plateau, I don't think this will be an issue

I believe they mentioned on the tree house stream that the paraglider is only obtained that way in the demo. Shrines do something different in the main game.

I wanna say you get the paraglider after 1 mission from the old man, but I don't remember where I got that info from so maybe I'm crazy.

Top Bottom