• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

I believe they mentioned on the tree house stream that the paraglider is only obtained that way in the demo. Shrines do something different in the main game.

I wanna say you get the paraglider after 1 mission from the old man, but I don't remember where I got that info from so maybe I'm crazy.

I don't think so, considering Gamexplain said they weren't even allowed to do more than 2 shrines in one demo. Pretty sure what you're thinking of is that the treehouse live members used developer magic to let them use the paraglider before complete the shrines

Playsage

Wow!
Feels like they created the ultimate action adventure RPG by taking numerous mechanics and design choices from the modern èlite of the genre and putting them in the series that spawned them all!
This is gonna be great!

I almost get wheepy eyed just thinking about this game. Gaming has been pretty good these past 2 years but I don't think I've ever been this excited about an upcoming video game before.
The first The Legend of Zelda was my first video game ever and this is evoking a lot of memories of that game.

Mory Dunz

I wonder if you can climb on it and get launched with it when stasis runs out...

I mean...that would have to break the game...right?

Unless it resulted in automatic death.

Dang, the amount of testing and stuff for this game not to be buggy mess is insane. Xeno pulled it off, and so has Zelda so far. Like, when things are that open, and you have all these tools, QA has to be on point. If it releases well, that might very well be the most impressive thing.

Mael

this game, man. Imagine what Nintendo would if they weren't restrained by the WII-U.

I don't get that complaint.
The game is already bigger than what CD Project Red did on ps4.
WTF are we expecting them to do with marginally more power than what we were shown this week?

Woo Fire Rod time!

Ay8GaOL.gif

That's really cool. I'm curious to see how many special items exist in this Zelda game.

Peltz

this game, man. Imagine what Nintendo would if they weren't restrained by the WII-U.
They're probably not restrained by it. It honestly seems like Nintendo transcends their own hardware and can pretty much execute everything they want from a gameplay standpoint.

Unless you're speaking about graphics only. Even still, they know how to make cool art no matter the hardware restraints.

They're probably not restrained by it. It honestly seems like Nintendo transcends their own hardware and can pretty much execute everything they want from a gameplay standpoint.

Unless you're speaking about graphics only. Even still, they know how to make cool art no matter the hardware restraints.

I can bet you this game will hold up better in 5 years than many of the other realistical graphic games

Peltz

Maybe I missed it, but the only thing that bothers me is that We haven't really never had a thick, dense, forest in a Zelda game except for LTTP Lost Woods. Maybe other Zelda games, too, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

So far from what I've seen, you have a lot of trees spread out with open areas. I want to explore a heavily dense, ominous forest in a Zelda game.
The master sword appears hidden in a very densely wooded forest like area. Can't pull up a screenshot on mobile though.

Hearing that the Treehouse skipped a lot in the Plateau. Does it seem less empty than their demos led us to believe the world is? I'm beyond excited for this game, but my main worry is still that the world may be a bit barren.

Instro

I honestly dont think the game would have been that different on PS4, just look better.

Given how physics heavy the game is, I think there's a lot that could be done there. Power could also be used to improve environment destructibility, terrain deformation, enemy AI/density, etc. There's a lot of gameplay impact that additional power could have, beyond making the overall visual package much better, which in itself impacts enjoyment of the game.

Atram

ok something that boggles my mind:

- temperature effects Link
- Food can give you resistance
- mining, hunting for meat, gathering herbs, fruits etc.
- Food can expand your Hearts more than you have
- You can Change Links Hair Style
- Themed Armors are in

ok which Game does have the same things 1:1? Yes Monster Hunter

what if there will be a Hub Village where you can go Online to Hunt the Big Guys like the Rock Monster (reminder they have a Huge HP Bar) with 4 friends in a smaller Area (like in XBX) or do special Coop Shrines?

There is many evidence or am i in Hype Heaven?

ok something that boggles my mind:

- temperature effects Link
- Food can give you resistance
- mining, hunting for meat, gathering herbs, fruits etc.
- Food can expand your Hearts more than you have
- You can Change Links Hair Style
- Themed Armors are in

ok which Game does have the same things 1:1? Yes Monster Hunter

what if there will be a Hub Village where you can go Online to Hunt the Big Guys like the Rock Monster (reminder they have a Huge HP Bar) with 4 friends in a smaller Area (like in XBX) or do special Coop Shrines?

There is many evidence or am i in Hype Heaven?
I really doubt this will be the case

zoukka

Given how physics heavy the game is, I think there's a lot that could be done there. Power could also be used to improve environment destructibility, terrain deformation, enemy AI/density, etc. There's a lot of gameplay impact that additional power could have, beyond making the overall visual package much better, which in itself impacts enjoyment of the game.

This is the same moot argument used in many situations. Where are the games on other more powerful platforms that somehow use physics or destructibility in a meaningful, better way, in a similar game? I mean what would the typical zelda combat situations benefit from better AI? Gameplay innovations are often really simple and not tied to increased processing power. Many of the things seen in this new zelda could've been done on weaker hardware too.

Frostburn

So what kind of benefits do you think the NX version will have? Has it been confirmed 100% that this is running on normal Wii U hardware? The game looks great and has so much darn charm, argh I just want to play it now!

Philippo

I openly admit that since the reveal of this game in 2014 i was super skeptical about thos game but boy oh boy am i so happy to eat al the crows you want.
This game has everything.

Just caught up with the details in OP and the first videos from yesterday's treehouse.
Any good video i should check out?

Its no wonder this game has taken so long to develop when you consider the amount of detail they are putting in and effort to change the Zelda formula. It looks great!

Hermii

So what kind of benefits do you think the NX version will have? Has it been confirmed 100% that this is running on normal Wii U hardware? The game looks great and has so much darn charm, argh I just want to play it now!

Its running on Wii U and Aonuma said it will be the same experience on NX.

Just speculation here, but it could have 1080p, better draw distance, image quality, 60fps, use whatever controller innovation/ gimmick of the NX controller for something.

I love stuff like that. It's what got me into the Metal Gear Solid series after seeing the things you could do in MGS2.

I wish they would steal a few things from MGS3 even, given the similar vibe of man working with nature. I'd love a hunger mechanic affecting stamina, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBgyRC9i6w

@ 18:18 the translator refers to the dev team using different types of vehicles in interesting ways. He says "like the horse basically" after but it felt like it may have been an unintended hint at something more. Or maybe not, idk

OOOH great catch!! Look at Trinnen's face after the translator mentions vehicles- that sounds a lot like a slip up to me...

God, what doesn't this game have?

I wonder how many dlc/amiibo locked content are in, given so many different opportunities (hair style, clothing, weapon, etc)

Hadn't considered that. They could easily tie outfits to almost any amiibo.

Not saying that a Mario amiibo would have him wearing a cap and overalls, but something blue/red? Totally.

The Boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBgyRC9i6w

@ 18:18 the translator refers to the dev team using different types of vehicles in interesting ways. He says "like the horse basically" after but it felt like it may have been an unintended hint at something more. Or maybe not, idk

Yeah I noticed this, we've already seen horses and a boat, so we can assume there will be more vehicles, maybe even a flying one considering the world and that we've seen a flying island.

Addi

This game is constantly blowing my mind, didn't expect that beforehand. The atmosphere seems amazing too, the small touches of music etc. I only hope there is some full on twisted creepiness later in the game, I've been missing that since the n64 games (though there is some in TP). That big skeleton walking on the hill in the trailer reminded me of the one in Majora's mask though.

Anyway, this really seems like a NEW Zelda game and not ANOTHER Zelda game. It's such an awesome feeling. What a comeback!

Saven

Banned
I was just thinking how awesome it would be to have an overworld theme that lasts around 24 minutes before it loops.

From what I've seen, the days in this game will last around 24 minutes. So I was thinking it would be really cool in the morning, have some cheerful music to open up the day that sounds similiar to the Hyrule Field theme from OOT.

And then around noon, it kicks into gear with the traditional Zelda Overworld theme we all know and love.

And then at night time, it slows down and hear a calm theme kinda similar to the town theme variations you hear in the Dragon Quest games when it goes from day to night.

Obviously, this won't happen because of the amount of work that needs put into it for it to work, so I won't be expecting it at all. It would fix an issue with a lot of these games have where the songs are too short and loop constantly, and end up being annoying to listen to after awhile.

Either way, this game is gonna be awesome with or without overworld music.

Top Bottom