• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

RagnarokX

Okay, I've figured out a few more characters, so here's an update to the Zelda U Hylian alphabet cipher:

R9xTtAt.jpg

Update: V confirmed. 23/26 letters

This one was really hard to read. I noticed that there was writing on the elevators that take you down into the shrines, but the letters on them are upsidedown for some reason and the forcefield around the elevator shaft made the letters really hard to see. However I was able to make out O_INGPLA
JO5NCOv.jpg

so it's most likely MOVINGPLATFORM

40aYZCW.jpg

The towers dotted around Hyrule say SHEAKTOWER. Sheak = sheikah, obviously.

DTiw8Al.jpg

The tub that Link wakes up in at the start of the game. The only letters that weren't too blurry to read were NITCARE. I'm pretty sure it's repeating characters that probably spell out CARE UNIT.

aytfGEg.jpg

CLOCK and THERMOMETER.

Update:

ITHPfKu.jpg

This gyroscope mechanism has GYROS written on it.

mfiDN0q.jpg

ROTATE

Previous translations:

laAale3.jpg

The doors to every shrine have DUNGEON written across them repeatedly. DUNGEON is also repeated all over the inside of the shrines.

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom. This word appears on other locked doors and gates throughout the world.

GtIJQg5.jpg

When Link puts the Sheikah Slate on a pedestal to gain a new rune it says
NOW LOADING
DO NOT TURN OFF
ALL YOUR BASE ARE

Who would have expected and "all your base" reference?

CVE9Vpp.jpg

The area where the sheikah sits at the end of a shrine says GOALPOINT

kwwoAXO.jpg

The Hylian text below each named area on the map just says REGION
At the bottom is SHEAKERSTONE, which is probably engrish for Sheikah Stone.

jariw

Its running on Wii U and Aonuma said it will be the same experience on NX.

Just speculation here, but it could have 1080p, better draw distance, image quality, 60fps, use whatever controller innovation/ gimmick of the NX controller for something.

I very much doubt it will be 60 fps. 60 fps would not be the same game experience as 30 fps, and they would need to remake animations to synch with 60fps separately. And the tradition of 3D Zelda games has always been 30 fps.

But better hardware could mean at least mean 30 fps without drops, and higher resolution.

I've played a lot of WiiU at my friend's house (came REALLY close to buying one for Splatoon) but this may push me to buy one...depends on NX plans, though.

I kinda love the weird magic/science hybrid thing they got going on. It's the last thing I thought I'd see in a Zelda game but it really works/fits.

The Animal Crossing amiibos will give all your clothes cobwebs.

lol

Regardless of how you want to take what he said, they aren't going to discuss actual differences, no matter what they are, until the game has gone gold. Possibly not even then.

TON of nice footage here, some item spoilers I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52UaLUUnpe4

Check the 41 min mark for a nice little moment :)

this video is aces.

at 7:41, the guy playing gets clever, lights his torch on fire and tries to throw it at some enemies to burn them. it kind of doesn't hit either of them though. Not only does he accidentally set the first enemy's club on fire, the second enemy walks up to the torch and uses it to light his own weapon on fire, too lolol

Hermii

I very much doubt it will be 60 fps. 60 fps would not be the same game experience as 30 fps, and they would need to remake animations to synch with 60fps separately. And the tradition of 3D Zelda games has always been 30 fps.

But better hardware could mean at least mean 30 fps without drops, and higher resolution.

You are probably right if 60 is a lot of work it probably won't be there. However if you read the Iwata Asks for lbtw Aonuma was initially not sure about approving 60 until he saw how great it looked in action.

Also you can't really judge framerate inconsistencies from an E3 demo 10 months before release on any platform.

Instro

This is the same moot argument used in many situations. Where are the games on other more powerful platforms that somehow use physics or destructibility in a meaningful, better way, in a similar game? I mean what would the typical zelda combat situations benefit from better AI? Gameplay innovations are often really simple and not tied to increased processing power. Many of the things seen in this new zelda could've been done on weaker hardware too.

Horizon? What do you consider meaningful? I don't think it's important to look at what other games are currently doing, as we've seen at different points in recent years how these elements can be used.

I'm confused at the point you are trying to make. I think we should be beyond "power doesn't matter". One of the big theme's with this game is approaching puzzles and combat situations from many angles with many solutions. Providing additional power to have greater destructibility, physics, etc., is quite meaningful to that goal. If we are talking specifically combat, what if Link could destroy hillsides to cause landslides, block passages, or ramps. What if an enemy knew that it could cause an avalanche to attack Link. Or maybe the enemy knows it can blow right through a building to stop Link from hiding. There's a lot that can be done to add variety and intesity to combat, that requires power to drive. Herd AI mentality in enemies and animals, improved simulation elements in the world, wind/water interaction with the world, etc.

jblank83

Okay, I've figured out a few more characters, so here's an update to the Zelda U Hylian alphabet cipher:

HwPwmdW.jpg

Figured out C, K, and M. J, Q, V, and X are the only ones left but I'm pretty sure I know what V is.

This is so cool. I haven't wanted to translate anything in a game since Ultima's runes.

this video is aces.

at 7:41, the guy playing gets clever, lights his torch on fire and tries to throw it at some enemies to burn them. it kind of doesn't hit either of them though. Not only does he accidentally set the first enemy's club on fire, the second enemy walks up to the torch and uses it to light his own weapon on fire, too lolol

wat!

LOL I gotta watch that when I get home hell naw

chadboban

this video is aces.

This game. This fucking game!

jett

D-Member
Expected. Don't know why peoole didnt think the NX would have superior visuals

Because* Twilight Princess I guess. But that's a different situation since the GC and Wii were very close in power.

*(and because some people don't want to end up playing the "inferior" version)

I don't get the "looks barren" comments.

During the stream, in the space of 15 minutes, they'd find an enemy camp, loot it, then cook something using the food they found, then not far away from there they'd find a secret chest with goodies inside, then they'd find a shrine, clear the shrine, then some story dialog would ensure, then they'd glide off and find some ruins, maybe fight a guardian, etc. The density of stuff to do seemed fine to me. And they didn't even show towns!

My expectations for this game where pretty low, and I haven't actually played or been interested in Zelda games for years. But man does this game have my interest. Hell I'm even sick of open world games but I feel like there is actually a solid spin to the open world formula with this game.

I wonder if they go back to the town naming conventions from Zelda II, i.e. towns named after the seven sages (and Mido).

Also I kind of doubt it, but did anyone hear anything about how Zelda-ey items work? Meaning, will we get an actual hookshot or will it likely be a hookshot rune? Or no hookshot at all? I NEEDS MA HOOKSHOT

Brizzo24

Late to the party! Excellent post, OP. I'm going to the show floor tomorrow, can't wait to see it in person. Real quick though, has Nintendo addressed the title on their NX platform? Is the game running on a standard Wii U, or is it a dev-kit Wii U?

Remind me again the technical prowess of the Wii U, if I'm not mistaken it's only slightly stronger than an Xbox 360? However, Nintendo nows how to harness as much power out of the Wii U as they can.

Instro

I don't get the "looks barren" comments.

During the stream, in the space of 15 minutes, they'd find an enemy camp, loot it, then cook something using the food they found, then not far away from there they'd find a secret chest with goodies inside, then they'd find a shrine, clear the shrine, then some story dialog would ensure, then they'd glide off and find some ruins, maybe fight a guardian, etc. The density of stuff to do seemed fine to me. And they didn't even show towns!

I think the barren comments stem from the visual issues. Foliage and tree variety, especially at distance, vegetation variety, and texture quality/variety in the environment are important when trying to make a world feel dense. I think people are used to seeing stuff like Horizon and Witcher 3 now. Both have a ton of variety in the landscape. In Horizon's case, the gameplay we've seen so far really highlights the variety in "animals" wandering around together through the environment. I don't think it's so much about have tons of humans, enemies, or buildings per say, but just making the environment itself more dense visually. I hope the NX version addresses that, but who knows.

On the quest side, or "things to do", it may be too late but I think Guild Wars 2 had a great idea with its "dynamic event" system that would translate very well to the kind of game Nintendo is making here. Something to think about for the next installment maybe.

Top Bottom