• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 4 reviews

FireFly

Good luck with rdna3, the GN review said the 7950x is using double the power of the 5950x (120 vs 250). I havn't got to performance uplift yet but wanna be good for double power.

edit: 26% more performance for double the power use and temp pinned at 95c. Not sure with the increased cost on mobo and ram to get here this is great. Kinda feels like an Intel release.
Computerbase found performance only drops by 5% when you reduce power consumption to Zen 3 levels.

https://www-computerbase-de.transla...tt_effizienz_bei_reduzierter_tdp_inkl_ecomode

Outlier

AMD claims that 95Cº is safe for these CPUs, but damn, these are some toasty boys.
In gaming it's not so bad. But if applications that push all cores, it can get really warm.

cpu-temperature-blender.png

cpu-temperature-gaming.png
I have a 3700X and I notice my room getting warmer when on my desktop... So if I get a 7900, it'll be going here...

maxresdefault.jpg

Reallink

Lol I bet a lot of gamers are going to be pissed when these launch just a few months after they bought non-X3D chips.

They'll be much more expensive, very solid chance a 7950 3D comes in at an even $1000 if it actually beats Intel's best. Also unlikely they've solved the production challenges meaning you won't be able to buy one for the first 6/mo+ even if you wanted to. This is why the 7000s aren't using 3D across the board, its expensive and they can't produce them at volume.

Last edited:

saintjules

I asked this before in another thread, but can't find the bookmark.

As someone with a Ryzen 5 3600, what is the next most sensible jump in terms of CPU?

yamaci17

As someone with a Ryzen 5 3600, what is the next most sensible jump in terms of CPU?
to me, I take cyberpunk as a primary benchmark. in that game, with RT enabled and high crowd density, you will often run into heavy CPU bound situations. so based on Cyberpunk benchmark;

seems like you can do fine with a 5800x 3d
7600x + 6000 mhz ddr5 outeclipses a 5600x by %50 margin. this is actually a huge
7600x + 5200 mhz ddr5 matches 5800x3d, while still beating 5600x by %30 percent
5800x3d also eclipses 5600x by %30 percent
base 5600x eclipses 3600 by %25-30 in cyberpunk with rt (to my knowledge).
so you're looking at a near %70 perf increase with a stock 5800x or 5200 mhz-7600x combo.

in short: stay away from stock 5600x
get whichever is cheaper: either direct 5800xd or 5200/6000 mhz + 7600x

If I were you I would go with 5800x 3D. No need to invest on a new mobo, keep your DDR4 rams, enjoy 16 threads, and enjoy great performance with gigantic cache.

Last edited:
to me, I take cyberpunk as a primary benchmark. in that game, with RT enabled and high crowd density, you will often run into heavy CPU bound situations. so based on Cyberpunk benchmark;

7600x + 6000 mhz ddr5 outeclipses a 5600x by %50 margin. this is actually a huge
so you're looking at a near %70 perf increase with a stock 5800x or 5200 mhz-7600x combo.

If I were you I would go with 5800x 3D. No need to invest on a new mobo, keep your DDR rams, enjoy 16 threads, and enjoy great performance with gigantic cache.
This X100000

Only need to upgrade the one part, see instant benefit in all that you do.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It hits its highest temps and holds boost clock without dropping.. thats pretty crazy,

Xyphie

Ryzen 5 5600 is $150 on NewEgg right now. Hard to beat as a drop-in replacement. Either you buy that or a 5800X3D for $420, there's really no in-between. Otherwise wait for cheaper AM5 motherboards, Raptor Lake launch etc.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I am honestly more than fine with my 5800X since I play at higher resolutions, but I'm tired of the limits of B450. I can see myself upgrading once:

1) The 3D chips are out
2) The motherboard prices become reasonable
3) DDR5 gets to DDR4 prices

Lol I bet a lot of gamers are going to be pissed when these launch just a few months after they bought non-X3D chips.
If you're a hardcore gamer who's all about those faster frames at low resolutions, you're probably aware the 3D chips are coming out in a few months.

If you don't know the 3D chips are coming, you probably don't need them. Same if you plan to buy a 4090 to play at 4K.

LQX

These reviews pretty much reaffirmed my plans to get to upgrade to a 5800X3D from my 3700X.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
these temps... oof.
keeping 3700x.

New cpus and new gpus... all just draw more power, produce more heat. Isn't that the easy cheat way to make these more powerful

Xellos

Takeaway seems to be that performance is good, but don't skimp on the cooler or RAM, or maybe wait for the 3D V-cache models. Doesn't seem to be an amazing upgrade over Zen3/Intel 12th gen.

Keep your AM4 board and buy a 5800X3D.

Truth, is almost as good in gaming as these new parts but can stick with the old ddr4 and motherboard. A much easier upgrade solution.

Last edited:
these temps... oof.
keeping 3700x.

New cpus and new gpus... all just draw more power, produce more heat. Isn't that the easy cheat way to make these more powerful
I'm not super worried about temps or power draw. Seems like those are issues with benchmarking, less so doing the things I use a PC for.

scydrex

I have seen Linus Tech and Hardware Canucks. Why them didn't include Spiderman benchmark? Isn't a CPU intensive game? Will continua to watch Hardware Unboxed. Seems like a good upgrade to those who have to build a new PC. The 5800x 3D for AM4 is excellent.

twilo99

From what I can see thus far, 5800X3D still being very competitive when it comes to gaming... so, consider that before buying the new stuff.

Other than that, these CPUs are indeed very, very good.

saintjules

5800X3D if your mobo supports it

Or if you want to move to AM5, the 7600X seems pretty rad. Elite gaming performance in most cases and much less power consumption that its big bros or the 12900K.

If I were you I would go with 5800x 3D. No need to invest on a new mobo, keep your DDR4 rams, enjoy 16 threads, and enjoy great performance with gigantic cache.

This X100000

Only need to upgrade the one part, see instant benefit in all that you do.

Ryzen 5 5600 is $150 on NewEgg right now. Hard to beat as a drop-in replacement. Either you buy that or a 5800X3D for $420, there's really no in-between. Otherwise wait for cheaper AM5 motherboards, Raptor Lake launch etc.

Thanks all. I am currently using the X370 Killer SLI by ASRock, which is an AM4 AMD board. I don't primarily game on my PC as I use it for Music Production as well. Sometimes the Virtual Instruments require more resources.

Would be good to future proof a bit I guess. Perhaps I'll look into the 5800x 3D if the Board supports it.

DeaDPo0L84

So basically if you can get a current gen cpu at a really good price grab that unless you just like spending 2-3x the amount to "have the best".

b0uncyfr0

Waiting on 7600X3D/7800X3D next year. By that time, DDR5 would be cheaper and there will be more motherboards to choose from.

Can you image a 7800X3D with DDR5 6400Mhz (4 sticks) - overclocked and memory tuned. Uuf... Early 2023 is gonna be dope.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh so more power hungry and hotter than intel then?

Guess that settles it then, i'm going for intel.
Check out Igorslab.de they’re the only ones that measure average power consumption during different workloads AFAIK.

For gaming 7700x consumes more than the 12700K but less than 5800X.

Although TBH I don’t think I’d buy any new CPU today, unless you already have an AM4 motherboard, then 5800X3D is a no brainer. Otherwise might as well wait till Intel 13th gen and Zen4 X3D and pick between those.

raul3d

From the computerbase review:
The factory higher consumption of the Ryzen 7000 compared to the Ryzen 5000 is thus especially an issue in multi-core full loads. However, this is less the case in idle, single-core and gaming loads.

The next question is: Does the Zen 4 really need that much energy in multi-core scenarios with high loads to outperform its predecessor? Or can it be a bit less without a big performance loss?

Efficiency with reduced TDP (incl. Eco mode):
The answer is: It can be a bit less and the performance loss is negligible.

Allowing Ryzen 9 7950X up to 230 watts instead of up to 142 watts previously raises the performance in the multi-core test course by only 5%. Conversely, the performance drops by only 5 percent when the known upper limit for the 16-core processor is used. And even at 88 watts, which is only 38% of the official upper limit, the new CPU is still 12 percent faster than the predecessor.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Efficiency seems fine, if you are willing to give up a few percent of performance.

kiphalfton

Ah shit I was hoping for the 5800X3D to drop in price after they are releasing Zen4, but looks like the 7000 series is worse than I expected it to be.

Yeah, this doesn't look good. Makes me feel better about buying a i5-12400 several months ago (that I have yet to unbox).

Buggy Loop

Yeah, not feeling jelly with my 5600x

Since I’m in a small form factor case, the climb from 65W to 105W and the thermals we see.. no thanks. Soon as you game beyond 1080p the differences are negligible.

I hope AMD returns with a 65W variant in next series.

Crayon

Seems great for production, just okay for games. Now that the dust is settling, I'm going to upgrade from my 2600 to a 5800! I jumped on am4 right when it came out with a 1300x because of this promised upgrade path and it's so cool they came through. I picked up a 2600 later on for like $90, and now I can slot in a 5600 or 5800 and roll with my motherboard for like 4 or 5 more years.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Oh so more power hungry and hotter than intel then?

Guess that settles it then, i'm going for intel.

not really. when the current intels reach their temp threshold they throttle down. These Ryzens are made to run at those high temps without throttling.

The power draw across the board for high end cpus and gpus are pretty bad these days though.

Ev1L AuRoN

I was expecting more from the 7600X, the 5700x is a lot cheaper right now and I get to keep the rest of my build. I'll wait another gen before jumping into the DDR5 ecosystem.

I was expecting more from the 7600X, the 5700x is a lot cheaper right now and I get to keep the rest of my build. I'll wait another gen before jumping into the DDR5 ecosystem.
It's as fast, almost as fast, or faster, than the 12900K in all gaming workloads, at $250 cheaper. What more were you expecting?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Exactly - not quite sure what people were expecting here.
CPUs so rarely actually "wow" people gen on gen im not sure why people expect huge huge generation leaps between them, especially right now when basically any modern CPU does the job more than adequately.

Each of these new CPU launches is really only for people who are a few generations back in time.

If you have a R3000 or R2000 CPU then this is a good time to upgrade.

Just like the 12th gen was only really for people with 8th or 9th gen.

You shouldnt be upgrading your CPU often.
Even the 4 core....yes 4 core 12100 can basically 120fps games.

Average-p.webp

Ev1L AuRoN

It's as fast, almost as fast, or faster, than the 12900K in all gaming workloads, at $250 cheaper. What more were you expecting?
To wipe the floor with the 12600k... from what I've seen, wins in games and loses in productivity, and raptor lake is coming. If I was in the market to buy a 7950x sure, AMD is more convincing on the top end, but in my price bracket intel is a lot more competitive, and even AMD itself with the 50xx series might make more sense. The 5700x is getting a lot of deals in my region and it might represent a better deal for me.

Reallink

When is Intel’s next CPU?

Their unveiling event is tomorrow morning, presumed to launch sometime in Oct or Nov. Clocks are rumored to be approaching 6Ghz, which with no other improvements whatsoever, will likely make them the uncontested and unanimous "Best" gaming CPU's in every price tier until AMD hurriedly rushes out their 3D variants (which will likely face challenges with pricing and availability--i.e. expensive and difficult to manufacturer).

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I have seen Linus Tech and Hardware Canucks. Why them didn't include Spiderman benchmark? Isn't a CPU intensive game? Will continua to watch Hardware Unboxed. Seems like a good upgrade to those who have to build a new PC. The 5800x 3D for AM4 is excellent.
It’s a great chip. Why don’t they do 3d chips for the new ones?

To wipe the floor with the 12600k... from what I've seen, wins in games and loses in productivity, and raptor lake is coming. If I was in the market to buy a 7950x sure, AMD is more convincing on the top end, but in my price bracket intel is a lot more competitive, and even AMD itself with the 50xx series might make more sense. The 5700x is getting a lot of deals in my region and it might represent a better deal for me.
I'd say the 7600X is the infinitely better chip to build around since you get socket AM5 which has much more upward mobility for the future but tbh, it doesn't really matter since everything now is pretty bad ass. Real world use with most hardware configs is amazing.

Top Bottom