• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen 4 reviews

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good thing 13th Gen can use DDR4 and older 600 series boards will be much cheaper than the new boards. I saw a Z690 board with BIOS flashback a few days ago for $140.

As a result 13th Gen will be way cheaper (if you already have DDR4). 12th Gen even cheaper.
I found an MSI Pro A for 150 not too long ago.
And the PRO A basically does everything its bigger brother the Tomahawk does.
Its been tested with 12900Ks OC'd and it didnt break a sweat, and it has BIOS flashback.
Just missing debug LEDs otherwise it would probably be too good value.....its rivals B660 motherboards in price.
LD0005898361_1.jpg

Are ddr5 ram not worthy?

Like if i make a new build now, why even considering ddr4?
The only reason to consider DDR4 is if you dont mind leaving a little performance on the table for those extra dollars to spend elsewhere.
You could in theory go up a GPU class and get more from your rig than spending on a DDR5 motherboard and DDR5 DIMMs.
A key advantage of DDR5 though, is you could call it an investment for whenever you upgrade again....assuming its soon enough you can use the same DDR5 DIMMs for your next upgrade.
Intel and AMD arent going to have DDR4 support for their next next generation CPUs.

GymWolf

Its been tested with 12900Ks OC'd and it didnt break a sweat, and it has BIOS flashback.
Just missing debug LEDs otherwise it would probably be too good value.....its rivals B660 motherboards in price.
LD0005898361_1.jpg

The only reason to consider DDR4 is if you dont mind leaving a little performance on the table for those extra dollars to spend elsewhere.
You could in theory go up a GPU class and get more from your rig than spending on a DDR5 motherboard and DDR5 DIMMs.
A key advantage of DDR5 though, is you could call it an investment for whenever you upgrade again....assuming its soon enough you can use the same DDR5 DIMMs for your next upgrade.
Intel and AMD arent going to have DDR4 support for their next next generation CPUs.
I mean, unless 16gb of ddr5 are like 400-500 dollars pricier than ddr4 i really don't see how you can go up a gpu class by going cheap on the ram, like from a 4080 to 4090.

I just don't like the idea of having old stuff on a 2000+ dollars build...unless the difference really is minimal like 1-2 frames less in gaming.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Why are the motherboards so expensive? They seem to be increasing in price by £100 as each hardware iteration is released!

I purchased my X470 board for £120 (Asus X470 E Strix)
Then a B550 for £200
Now the X670 appears to be coming in at a whopping £300-400.

lolwut

Mister Wolf

Looks like dropping a 5800X3D in my existing AM4 machine was the right call. My 5800X3D + 3090 setup ought to be fine until Zen 6 and RTX 50 series.

Get yours while they're hot! I doubt AMD is going to keep selling them much longer. They probably didn't have a big production run. When they're gone, they're gone!

Glad I pulled the trigger on getting a release date 5800X3D as well. There is gonna be a rush to get them now.

GymWolf

Why are the motherboards so expensive? They seem to be increasing in price by £100 as each hardware iteration is released!

I purchased my X470 board for £120 (Asus X470 E Strix)
Then a B550 for £200
Now the X670 appears to be coming in at a whopping £300-400.

lolwut
Dafuq? My last moba was like 80 euros...

Are you talking about high end moba for monstrous overclock right?

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned

The Prime series is the shittest spec Asus motherboard (which traditionally was sold for like <£100).

£290 for this. Lmao.

This is the Strix for a whopping £430 - makes my X470-F Strix seem like daylight robbery.

The barrier for PC gaming is now very high tbh.

On an unrelated note, I genuinely hate the ASUS branding. It looks awful. 'Republic Of Gamers' plastered everywhere.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Glad I pulled the trigger on getting a release date 5800X3D as well. There is gonna be a rush to get them now.
yup it totally reminds me of the Intel 5775c. A “stopgap”/proof of concept that was so good it let the old platform equal or exceed the new one. And whose price remained high for years because of it.

Black_Stride

I mean, unless 16gb of ddr5 are like 400-500 dollars pricier than ddr4 i really don't see how you can go up a gpu class by going cheap on the ram, like from a 4080 to 4090.

I just don't like the idea of having old stuff on a 2000+ dollars build...unless the difference really is minimal like 1-2 frames less in gaming.
Ada doesnt exist to me until there are GPUs under 1000 dollars.
And NO the "4070" 12G doesnt count, cuz once you add tax and AIB its over 1000 bucks.

A 3070 is ~100 more than a 3060Ti
A 3070Ti is ~100 more than a 3070
A 3080 is ~100 more than a 3070Ti
A 3080ti is ~ 100 more than a 3080'12G

Thats what I mean by going up a GPU class.

DDR5 MB + DDR5 DIMMs generally cost together about 100 more than DDR4 MB + DDR4 DIMMs.
I only build with 32GB so thats my baseline.

And in gaming right now, you arent really gonna feel the difference between DDR4 and DDR5.
But buying a 3080 over a 3070Ti.....you will def feel that.

I mean there is always the nuclear option, get a 13900KS, DDR5 Maximus MB, 4090 Strix and you basically have the best gaming PC money can buy.
But min maxing, there are ways to sort out your components.

GymWolf

And NO the "4070" 12G doesnt count, cuz once you add tax and AIB its over 1000 bucks.

DDR5 MB + DDR5 DIMMs generally cost together about 100 more than DDR4 MB + DDR4 DIMMs.

And in gaming right now, you arent really gonna feel the difference between DDR4 and DDR5.
But buying a 3080 over a 3070Ti.....you will def feel that.whe

I mean there is always the nuclear option, get a 13900KS, DDR5 Maximus MB, 4090 Strix and you basically have the best gaming PC money can buy.
When you say gaming right now does that mean that ddr5 is gonna be more useful in the future compared to ddr4?? Like special tech inside that is not used at the moment or some shit?

Or it's just pure faster ram and nothing else?

Last edited:
5800X3D feels like a love letter from AMD for existing AM4 users at this point. If the one things you give a fuck about is games and you don't want to buy into a whole new platform, really can't beat it. And its not like as newer products emerge over the next few years this CPU will suddenly be a piece of shit. Buy one today and you're probably healthy for the next 2-3 years and maybe beyond.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
When you say gaming right now does that mean that ddr5 is gonna be more useful in the future compared to ddr4?? Like special tech inside that is not used at the moment or some shit?

Potentially there will be faster/lower latency DDR5 in the future whereas DDR4 has been pushed as far as it will ever go. But personally I don’t think DDR5 purchased today will somehow have “longer legs” or pull ahead compared to DDR4 purchased today. For gaming that is.

Black_Stride

Thats literally impossible to know.
Its totally possible games in 2029 want super super fast low latency RAM to run at 100000fps
Then again, they might not give a shit and you gain 2fps going to DDR5.

But i can safely say for atleast this generation upgrading your GPU or CPU will net you more than going to DDR5.
Which is why I would put DDR5 towards the bottom of my priority list.......if not at the bottom as I dont see it being useful anytime before im building a whole new system anyway.

LD0005898361_1.jpg

Can you give me a parts reccomendation list for my first 7900xt build. For example on the cpu I’m interested in either going 13900k or waiting for the x3d version of the 7950xt. Give me a motherboard reccomendation etc

But buying a 3080 over a 3070Ti.....you will def feel that.

Was 13900ks a typo?

twilo99

Can’t wait to see how much power the new Intel chips are going to use in order to compete.

I might have to adjust my expectations, which is very good news

If I read the slides correctly the 13900k at 65w matches the 12900k at 241w?

Black_Stride

Can you give me a parts reccomendation list for my first 7900xt build. For example on the cpu I’m interested in either going 13900k or waiting for the x3d version of the 7950xt. Give me a motherboard reccomendation etc
7900XT?
You mean the GPU?
I have no idea what that GPU is gonna be asking for in terms of power.
We know the 13900K can perform like a 12900K at 65W or go 40% higher at 250+W solo.
So your powersupply is 100% gonna have to be beefy.

But if im going 13900K and want to be "safe" on my power phases.
My motherboard?
Always follow my roots and get an MSI Carbon/Edge.
Good I/O, decent feature set, good cooler, decent power phases

Realistically....id probably get an MSI Tomahawk or Pro-A....its likely to be priced reasonably, comes with features everyone wants and unless you are really overclocking heavily, then you dont need all those power phases.
And it looks awesome:
MSI-Z790-3.jpg

7900XT?
You mean the GPU?
We know the 13900K can perform like a 12900K at 65W or go 40% higher at 250+W solo.

My motherboard?

Realistically....id probably get an MSI Tomahawk or Pro-A....its likely to be priced reasonably, comes with features everyone wants and unless you are really overclocking heavily, then you dont need all those power phases.
And it looks awesome:
MSI-Z790-3.jpg
I should have mentioned I don’t care about rgb and if possible if like my build to be discreet and plain so no rgb or anything fancy. From what I understand the z series is the high end boards for over clocking is that the only board or is there one if you don’t want to overclock and what ram would you reccomend?

GymWolf

Thats literally impossible to know.
Its totally possible games in 2029 want super super fast low latency RAM to run at 100000fps
Then again, they might not give a shit and you gain 2fps going to DDR5.

But i can safely say for atleast this generation upgrading your GPU or CPU will net you more than going to DDR5.
Which is why I would put DDR5 towards the bottom of my priority list.......if not at the bottom as I dont see it being useful anytime before im building a whole new system anyway.
I'm doing a new build from scratch so cpu and gpu are going to be changed for sure.

And honestly, if the difference between a moba+ram for ddr5 is just 100 dollars, i'm probably gonna go with that, in the grand scheme of 2000+ euros, 100 are fucking nothing.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

What’s a ks?
The KS series are the special edition processors that have already been binned by Intel and are known to overclock to level 1 million.
They are the fastest of the fastest Intel processors.

intel-core-i9-12900ks-review-8.jpg

2022-04-05-image-3.jpg

The latest one was announced to do 6GHz out of the box:
Intel-Core-i9-13900KS-6GHZ-HERO-BANNER.jpg

I should have mentioned I don’t care about rgb and if possible if like my build to be discreet and plain so no rgb or anything fancy. From what I understand the z series is the high end boards for over clocking is that the only board or is there one if you don’t want to overclock and what ram would you reccomend?
The Tomahawks dont have any RGB....I too am staunchly against RGB.
The reason I recommended a Z board is because you are planning on getting a 13900K.......K chips go with Z boards, cuz K chips can be overclocked and Z boards support overclocking.
If you arent planning on overclocking you dont need a K chip.....just get a regular 13900 and then you can get a B series board which doesnt support overclocking.

Since you arent overclocking, MSI or ASUS B660/B670 motherboards.....pretty much anything above their bottom of the stack boards will be good.
Again an MSI Tomahawk B660 or ASUS TUF Gaming B660 would be a good bet.
Both are reliable boards and are not "gamerfied" in color, just grey and black.

RAM you really cant go wrong with Corsair Dominator, they are basically bulletproof and are proven over and over to be reliable.
Whatever speed Intel recommends with the 13th gen should be your starting point.
for DDR4 its 3200MT/S
for DDR5 its 5600MT/S

I'm doing a new build from scratch so cpu and gpu 100% sure going to be changed.

And honestly, if the difference between a moba+ram for ddr5 is just 100 dollars, i'm probably gonna go with that, in the grand scheme of 2000+ euros, 100 are fucking nothing.
Thanks for the gold.
And yeah if you are doing a full build and want it to last.
Might as well just go all out as far as your budget can go....but when you reach those last few hundred dollars....DDR5 should be one of the things you look at dropping.
Near literally everything else in your system will be a better investment.

Better case = Better airflow = Better perf.
Better cooler = Better frequency = Better perf.
Better GPU = Better beans = Better perf.
Better CPU = Better FPS = Better perf.
Better MB = Better OC support = Better perf.
Better PSU = Just dont skimp on your powersupply....DONT!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

They have $80 motherboards but they are lacking in so many features that it is probably not worth buying them if you plan on sticking new CPU and GPUs in them. I chose mine for $200 over cheaper ones that were around $120 because it was PCIE Gen 4 for CPU, GPU and SSD. Also with cards, ssds and cpus running so hot, you will have to have good cooling on the motherboard. It's a bitch putting in my motherboard because of all the heatsinks on it.

Add in Wifi and bluetooth support and you are looking at $200 minimum for mid range motherboards. Or at least that was true last year. Not sure whats going on this year.

GymWolf

They have $80 motherboards but they are lacking in so many features that it is probably not worth buying them if you plan on sticking new CPU and GPUs in them. I chose mine for $200 over cheaper ones that were around $120 because it was PCIE Gen 4 for CPU, GPU and SSD. Also with cards, ssds and cpus running so hot, you will have to have good cooling on the motherboard. It's a bitch putting in my motherboard because of all the heatsinks on it.

Add in Wifi and bluetooth support and you are looking at $200 minimum for mid range motherboards. Or at least that was true last year. Not sure whats going on this year.

The KS series are the special edition processors that have already been binned by Intel and are known to overclock to level 1 million.

2022-04-05-image-3.jpg

The reason I recommended a Z board is because you are planning on getting a 13900K.......K chips go with Z boards, cuz K chips can be overclocked and Z boards support overclocking.
If you arent planning on overclocking you dont need a K chip.....just get a regular 13900 and then you can get a B series board which doesnt support overclocking.

Since you arent overclocking, MSI or ASUS B660/B670 motherboards.....pretty much anything above their bottom of the stack boards will be good.

RAM you really cant go wrong with Corsair Dominator, they are basically bulletproof and are proven over and over to be reliable.
Whatever speed Intel recommends with the 13th gen should be your starting point.
for DDR4 its 3200MT/S
for DDR5 its 5600MT/S

Thanks for the gold.
Might as well just go all out as far as your budget can go....but when you reach those last few hundred dollars....DDR5 should be one of the things you look at dropping.

I never do overclock on anything so i'm probably gonna save 100 euros from the moba for the case or psu (or even ram), also i'm probably not gonna need liquid cooling for the cpu, a noctua with a big ass fan is enough i think.

I really need a basic, sturdy as hell moba with no fancy shit that can support all the latest tech like ssd, ram etc, i can't believe that the baseline for that is 200 euros slimy, who gives a damn about wifi and bt support? :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I never do overclock on anything so i'm probably gonna save 100 euros from the moba for the case or psu (or even ram), also i'm probably not gonna need liquid cooling for the cpu, a noctua with a big ass fan is enough i think.

I really need a basic, sturdy as hell moba with no fancy shit, i can't believe that the baseline for that is 200 euros slimy, who gives a damn about wifi and bt support? :lollipop_squinting:
I dont overclock either, but I did want a Wifi mobo because my USB wifi adapter was capped at 30 Mbps. But the difference between the wifi and non-wifi version of this mobo was only $20.

1024.png

Its a MSI B560. The high end overclock ones are B590s. Even the 570s were around $220. There were several B560s that were around $100 but they had poor reviews.

Check out hardware unlocked on youtube before you make any purchases. These motherboards are just as shady as what Nvidia is doing with the 4070s being branded as 4080. Some of the 560s were capping the TDPs of CPUs at 65 Watts essentially halving the performance of a lot of CPUs. My CPU goes up to 128 Watts when playing CPU heavy games like Cyberpunk and Matrix. If I had settled for one of these cheaper 560s then all of the 3080 and 5.1 Ghz clockspeeds of my CPU wouldnt have mattered.

GymWolf

I dont overclock either, but I did want a Wifi mobo because my USB wifi adapter was capped at 30 Mbps. But the difference between the wifi and non-wifi version of this mobo was only $20.

1024.png

Its a MSI B560. The high end overclock ones are B590s. Even the 570s were around $220. There were several B560s that were around $100 but they had poor reviews.

Check out hardware unlocked on youtube before you make any purchases. These motherboards are just as shady as what Nvidia is doing with the 4070s being branded as 4080. Some of the 560s were capping the TDPs of CPUs at 65 Watts essentially halving the performance of a lot of CPUs. My CPU goes up to 128 Watts when playing CPU heavy games like Cyberpunk and Matrix. If I had settled for one of these cheaper 560s then all of the 3080 and 5.1 Ghz clockspeeds of my CPU wouldnt have mattered.
I have wired internet connection, only peasants use wifi:messenger_smiling_horns:

I'm gonna open a dedicated topic when i'm gonna start building the new pc, probably waiting to see what amd has to offer on nov 3.

But then again. i kinda want to wait for the new intel cpu...

Also, is your cpu at 5.1 ghz WITHOUT overclock?

Last edited:

lukilladog

40% better performance than my 12100f seems cool, but triple the price for the cpu on top of premium priced motherboards and ram, not cool. The 12100f is still overkill for 60fps gaming anyway.

SlimySnake

I have wired internet connection, only peasants use wifi:messenger_smiling_horns:

I'm gonna open a dedicated topic when i'm gonna start building the new pc, probably waiting to see what amd has to offer on nov 3.

But then again. i kinda want to wait the new intel cpu...

Also, is your cpu at 5.1 ghz WITHOUT overclock?
Yeah, it typically sits at 4.8 GHz, but ive seen it go upto 5.1 Ghz in benchmarks. I have tried to overclock this thing but I dont even know how. I believe its kinda like those new AMD RNDA cards. They are basically overclocked out of the box to hit clocks as high as the wattage and cooling will allow. So the last thing you want to do is have the mobo cap the damn thing because it wasnt built to provide adequate power. Intel markets it as a 3.6 Ghz CPU, but just like my 3.2 Ghz i7-8700 which used to hit 4.2 ghz, this thing sits at 4.8 GHz without any overclocking.

It's the KF version of the i7-11700 so no integrated GPU and no wattage cap. The non-kf version comes capped at 105 Watts I believe.

P.S I firmly believe that my insane performance in the Matrix demo (native 4k 40-45 fps using a 3080) is probably because of the CPU's high clocks and uncapped power consumption. I used to be very jealous of AMD's 65 watt CPUs that almost never went above 50 degrees but after playing the Matrix, Im glad I accidentally bought a power hungry monster of a CPU that doesnt bottleneck my GPU.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
7900XT?
You mean the GPU?

My motherboard?

And it looks awesome:
MSI-Z790-3.jpg

I've got a z690 maximus hero. I would imagine I should be good for the 13900KS right?

b0uncyfr0

I think with some good deals - an AM5 board + DDR5 + 7600x is justifiable for new builds.

The 5800x3d is still going for almost 500 euros in Europe. The 7600x is supposed to be what, 300. Maybe 350. That's a decent saving you could put towards the AM5 mobo. And DDR5 is coming down quick..

Last edited:

Black_Stride

I've got a z690 maximus hero. I would imagine I should be good for the 13900KS right?
Youve got one of the best motherboards on the market?
I dunno man, you might be pushing it close.

Hahaha of course you are good.

Sophist

Now that I read the reviews more carefully I can say, Zen 4 is a massive improvement from Zen 3, but unfortunately AMD threw efficiency and cool temps out the window.
These processors are not targeting efficiency but maximum performance. The ones intended for laptops are much more efficient. A Ryzen 3 6nm 6800u (25 watts) is on par with an Apple M2 5nm. If someone want to favor effiency over performance, that someone should buy a laptop.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I got a 7700x build in cart for a little under a thousand. Just deciding if if it’s worth it or to wait for the gpus to come out and get that first .. or to splurge on both… or say duck it and buy a mac studio 😂

Last edited:
I got a 7700x build in cart for a little under a thousand. Just deciding if if it’s worth it or to wait for the gpus to come out and get that first .. or to splurge on both… or say duck it and buy a mac studio 😂
Just wait. If you hold off until Q1 next year you'll get a 7800X3D for probably a bit more, but I would imagine DDR5 and mobo prices will come down by then and offset the cost. In the end you'll get a much better gaming CPU and overall it won't be much more money.

dont skimp, but a PSU's job is basically to turn on and not die. big deal.

as long as its rails (12v, 5v) do what you want, it has enough watts, and it's from a reputable brand w/ a decent warranty, you're fine.

same with high-end mobos. waste of money (unless youre doing some hardcore watercooled OCing, maybe).
almost always better to just take the money and buy a better CPU or GPU.

Just wait. If you hold off until Q1 next year you'll get a 7800X3D for probably a bit more, but I would imagine DDR5 and mobo prices will come down by then and offset the cost. In the end you'll get a much better gaming CPU and overall it won't be much more money.
I'm not sure prices will actually go down judging from how the market is behaving.

Leonidas

Are ddr5 ram not worthy?

Like if i make a new build now, why even considering ddr4?
For me it wouldn't be. I already have 32 GB of high speed DDR4. If I sold it I'd get maybe $100 and the upgrade to 32 GB of high speed DDR5 with decent timings is over $250. I'd be spending at least an extra $150 for something I would not notice in my use case.

My next build will re-use everything from my last build except CPU & motherboard. I love it. After selling my last gen CPU & motherboard I'll end up with a Z690 + 13600K at an extra ~$150, and it will be a massive improvement over my last gen machine. I always carry over stuff from prior builds. My oldest components currently are PSU and case, both from 2019. Everything else is from 2020-today. If you had really old stuff then I could see maybe selling everything, but I try not to hold on to components for too long...

GymWolf

For me it wouldn't be. I already have 32 GB of high speed DDR4. If I sold it I'd get maybe $100 and the upgrade to 32 GB of high speed DDR5 with decent timings is over $250. I'd be spending at least an extra $150 for something I would not notice in my use case.

My next build will re-use everything from my last build except CPU & motherboard. I love it. After selling my last gen CPU & motherboard I'll end up with a Z690 + 13600K at an extra ~$150, and it will be a massive improvement over my last gen machine. I always carry over stuff from prior builds. My oldest components currently are PSU and case, both from 2019. Everything else is from 2020-today. If you had really old stuff then I could see maybe selling everything, but I try not to hold on to components for too long...
I have to change everything unfortunately, the newest part is my 2070super.

2022-04-05-image-3.jpg

for DDR4 its 3200MT/S
for DDR5 its 5600MT/S

Thanks for the gold.

ive heard overclocking not only adds variables but shortens the lifespan of your parts, about the 13900k i thought it was a stronger chip outright than the 13900 so even without overclocking i should see slightly better performance right?

Black_Stride

ive heard overclocking not only adds variables but shortens the lifespan of your parts, about the 13900k i thought it was a stronger chip outright than the 13900 so even without overclocking i should see slightly better performance right?
13900K stock vs 13900 stock will thermal boost pretty much exactly the same I think theres like 300Mhz tops between them best case(Its really down to silicon lottery)
Youll gain all of 5fps at best...and we arent talking a difference of 55 and 60, we are talking 170fps vs 175fps, and as games get more advanced that 300Mhz actually just stops mattering and the CPUs IPC matters more....of which they have the same.
An imperceptible difference but youll be paying an extra maybe 100 to 150 dollars for those 5fps.
K chips only make sense if you are memory overclocking or actually CPU overclocking, otherwise stick to non-k.

maxresdefault.jpg

XeMoGEo.png

Last edited:
5800X3D feels like a love letter from AMD for existing AM4 users at this point. If the one things you give a fuck about is games and you don't want to buy into a whole new platform, really can't beat it. And its not like as newer products emerge over the next few years this CPU will suddenly be a piece of shit. Buy one today and you're probably healthy for the next 2-3 years and maybe beyond.
5800X3D feels like this generation's unicorn 5775C. Released as a technical proof of concept and also a stop-gap at the end of a generation, punches above it's weight because of some innovation that later goes mainstream, and only made available in limited quantities. Very few people ever even saw a 5775C in real life, and one day the 5800X3D will also be spoken of in whispers too the same way.

BlackTron

Wow the 3D V-Cache looks really nice.

CPUs keep getting ludicrously better. That 30% gain is only from the first wave of 3DVC chips too. I shudder to think the types of CPUs you could get for under $300 in a few years time. Even without expecting crazy 90's style performance hikes. Tech is getting like Dragon Ball, there SHOULD NOT be more power levels to ascend to, but there is anyway it just never ends lol...

Top Bottom