• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenimax Online New IP Has Been In Development For More Than 4 Years

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The new title is in development by a team led by Ben Jones, the Creative Director at Zenimax Online Studios. Ben speaks briefly about the new title in development in an interview with the Product Builders podcast.

Ben Jones manages a team of 50 on the project and notes that 200 people around the world are working on the title. The unannounced title is described by Ben Jones as having a considerable investment and is a very large-scope project. According to Jones, the title has been in development for 4 and a half years, likely starting production around 2018.

Insiders have spoken of a new IP from Zenimax starting development in 2018 for years. Some have speculated it is an MMORPG Starfield game. Others think, and is most likely a wholly original IP.

Consider me interested!

I wonder what type of game this is, and what the goal/vision is, and the budget. I really hope Microsoft shows up with some much-needed new bangers at E3 2023, and by 2024 we have a steady stream of great (and NEW) double-A and triple-A titles coming, yearly.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
This developer has made the worst combat in a mmo in modern times, and even said "fuck it, we can't fix it so let's nake it a feature" from that hideous animation cancelling or weaving or whatever its called.

Zero hype. The combat is the main reason I can't get into eso.

feynoob

Banned
This developer has made the worst combat in a mmo in modern times, and even said "fuck it, we can't fix it so let's nake it a feature" from that hideous animation cancelling or weaving or whatever its called.

The problem is this engine.

Now they are working on new engine, so maybe the combat would be different.

Meicyn

Gold Member

Spot on, Iegit cannot play ESO because it‘s just that bad.

Now they are working on new engine, so maybe the combat would be different.
SWTOR runs on the same engine and while full of jank, it somehow manages to feel better than ESO does.

feynoob

Banned
SWTOR runs on the same engine and while full of jank, it somehow manages to feel better than ESO does.
2 different world. Not to menton the combat is entirely different.
SWTOR is like turnbased action game, While Eso plays like Skyrim.

SWTOR would run more efficient on engine like that.

I like eso, it’s fun and the lore is great. I don’t take it seriously, I’m pretty casual, but i guess if you like to sweat it’s probably not the game for you.

The_Mike

If there weren't other great games with hero engine I could have agreed with you, but swtor shows the engine can make good combat, it's just that zenimax suck at it.

Their single player games also suffers from floating combat with no real feeling to it,and that engine is gamebryo.

ESO is crowned as the mmo with worst combat by the majority of the mmo gaming crowd.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If there weren't other great games with hero engine I could have agreed with you, but swtor shows the engine can make good combat, it's just that zenimax suck at it.

Their single player
games also suffers from floating combat with no real feeling to it,and that engine is gamebryo.

ESO is crowned as the mmo with worst combat by the majority of the mmo gaming crowd.
Bethesda's games that use Creation Engine is as much as "their single player game" as id Software or Arkane's games are. Zenimax Online is just another studio under Bethesda Softworks like say MachineGames. Bethesda's internal engine is only used by Bethesda themselves.
That said ZOS was probably trying to replicate Skyrim's combat in ESO. Even though it ended up having a completely separate fanbase, Elder Scrolls Online was originally aimed at fans of the Elder Scrolls series.
ESO is still a very well liked MMO with a very healthy population that pay the subscription and buy the new expansion every year. I am excited what Zenimax can do with a new IP.

The_Mike

That said ZOS was probably trying to replicate Skyrim's combat in ESO. Even though it ended up having a completely separate fanbase, Elder Scrolls Online was originally aimed at fans of the Elder Scrolls series.
I'm truly aware of that.

Have played the ES games since Morrowind, and even though the ES games has never been loved purely by the combat, eso it just hideous compared to Skyrim and Oblivion.

True or just rumors, I heard they went the action skill bar type like Wow but decided to do action combat instead.

It just doesn't feel like Skyrim to me. Weaving, having to weapon swap and the lack of more OP skills (which I know of course would ruin the balance) just makes the combat boring, just tapping the same button. Having to make heavy attacks also feel like a slog and unrewarding.

I'm aware you can heavy attack as well in ES, but it's not a part of your rotation.

In every ES game you could be whatever you want.

In eso the classes feels close to identical because 95 percent of skills are shared between all classes in form of weapon spells and other sub categories, and there's really only 3 (if I remember correctly) unique skill lines for each character.

I don't want my characters to use the same weapon skills I want something entirely different.

I do play with class skills only, and I also use that ring that makes me only use one weapon instead of weapon swapping from the new expansion, which actually makes the combat alot more fun for me,persobally.so to see one annoyance gone is great.

I've been subbed before. I've played all dlc and I own all expansions.

But every time I come back I love the difference stuff I can do but always end up leaving because of the combat.

Robb

Gold Member
It’s nice to hear it’s a new IP, although I doubt it’ll be for me. I’m not a MMO guy.

Top Bottom