• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Press BETRAY if old

First, I appreciate from the bottom of my heart to the users who played 999 or VLR. Thank you very much! I have received the messages of encouragement or cheer from many users so far. I am really glad and happy. I offer my deepest thanks!

Well... I guess you have been curious about ZE3.

In conclusion, unfortunately, I have to say that it is difficult to realize it "at this stage" yet, although we have done all we can. If possible, I'd not like to inform you of the news like this. But I decided to reveal it honestly. A lot of budget is needed to make ZE series. We have to persuade the managers in order to obtain it. The managers know that ZE series is especially valued by many users outside Japan. Some of them think that they want to make a sequel just as we wish. But, "in Japan", 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think.

I'm so sad, but all the companies exist for profit-making purposes. If the profits can't be expected, naturally, the project isn't approved. We were not able to present a convincing reasonable basis to the managers. Of course, I can declare with confidence, "The next title will certainly get into the black!" However, it's not considered that the word have credibility. It does not become the cause of green light.

I am very sorry to all the users who are expecting ZE3. I feel ashamed of my own inadequacies. BUT! please remember. I wrote "at this stage". If the situation changes, ZE3 might be capable of being realized! I still haven't given up. For example, if the title which I make next bring about a good result, the wind might shift to another direction. Or, if someone with executive ability (financer, producer, publisher or millionaire!) propose the investment, everything could go well. If there is an great investor who thinks "Virtue is its own reward", I wish him/her to send me a message. If you know such a wonderful person, please induce him/her to cooperate. By using Facebook, you can send a direct message to me (Although we also examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter, we figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough...) I believe there is still hope. ZE3 will definitely be released somehow, someday! I will continue to seek a way out in cooperation with Allies. So, I would appreciate it if you could wait until then. Thank you!

Source (Twitter)

L~A

Such a cruel world. *sigh*

And here I thought it' be announced within the year : /

F*ck this shit.

Drago

If it has to come to Kickstarter, so be it. I would back the hell out of it. I need Zero Escape 3 so bad D:

I would Kickstart this so fast. So, so fast.

Not persuasive enough? I've seen some shady-as-heck KS'es get funded. Zero Escape 3 would make bank.

Certinty

Well this sucks. Hopefully they find a way to fund it though, I would happily contribute if they take the Kickstarter route.

tumblr_mbjaxkrJzi1roglxl.gif

Fuck my life

Omikaru

He has already ruled out Kickstarter. Here are his words:
(Although we also examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter, we figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough...)

I'm very saddened by this news. Both Zero Escape games are wonderful, and I'm really gutted that ZE3 is looking unlikely. :(

FluxWaveZ

Ah geez, of course.

It actually hurts when it's these kind of niche games that I'm a fan of the most yet, because of their inherent nature, they sell poorly.

Not the first time I'm hearing it, but it's interesting that the ZE series does better in the west than it does in Japan.

Zomba13

If they do it on kickstarter, set the goal that is needed, let people pre-pay for the game and use those numbers to show people that people are interested and it will sell (if it got x amount through kickstarter then we should be able to get y amount when properly released!).

We can't not get ZE3 ;_;

I would donate a lot of my money to see this happen, so I wish it would go to Kickstarter. I'll never give up hope of seeing this though!

Oh come on...
What a nice way to piss me off.
Seriously, they should consider KickStarter. At least, just to test waters...

Boogiepop

Does he mean he doesn't think the game would be "persuasive" enough to get funded through Kickstarter? Hell, Nintendo should step in like with Bayonetta 2 or something. Either way, it'll be a real shame if this game doesn't get made.

Camwi

That is insanity. I didn't realize the series was selling so badly in Japan.

Kickstarter this thing! I would gladly pay $100 for a sweet-ass physical collector's edition.

Zomba13

And if kickstarter isn't 'persuasive enough' then ZE3 has no chance. What could be more persuasive than a bunch of people giving you money to make the game/putting down the cash for the finished product in advance?

If X amount of guaranteed sales (like, whatever number they end up with if the kickstarter is successful) then it's hopeless.

wrowa

That's what I expected, sadly, and I kinda have come to terms with it a few months ago. VLR in particular looked like a pretty high-budget visual novel and its sales were less than stellar in Japan and also down compared to 999 in the west. Considering that we're talking about a trilogy, it also can't really be expected that the final game suddenly sells more than its predecessors...

It's a huge fucking shame, though, and I'd absolutely kickstart a sequel in a heartbeat. It makes me pretty sad that Danganronpa reached great successes, when the Zero Escape series is just so much better, :'(

A mess.

Especially when you look at some random announcements and localizations from all parties involved. Priorities, how do they work.

jcm

What happened to the US release of the ios port of 999? They'll make more money if they let me buy it.

kewlmyc

Figured considering the lack of sales from both regions compared to 999. Fucking sucks. I would kickstart the shit out if this.

I think by "not persuasive enough," he doesn't mean that they can't convince anyone to give money. He says the game is really expensive to make earlier on, so I think he means they can't convince enough people to give enough money.

This is probably not a $300,000 or $900,000 project. This is probably over two million and very few kickstarters get there.

kick51

Banned
The managers know that ZE series is especially valued by many users outside Japan. Some of them think that they want to make a sequel just as we wish. But, "in Japan", 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think.

I'm confused, it sounds a bit like it's doing fine outside Japan and making money, but not doing well in Japan...does that mean the past two haven't been profitable at all despite doing well outside of Japan?

KiraFA37

Not the news I was hoping to hear. It's sad to hear but understandable at the same time. If they would have gone the KS route I would have pledged for some of the upper tiers.

Burnburn

The solution is obviously canning the Japanese release and go Western.

But seriously, I still believe that it'll come, just way later than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom