• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games [2-pack] announced (PS4/Vita, Spring 2017)

Korigama

Eh. I feel like the only great Zero Escape game was VLR. 999 was good but suffered from sloppy writing. Or maybe the translation is to blame? The main thing it has going for it is that moment towards the end. The cases in the first Danganronpa leaned towards the predictable side a lot of the time but at least the cases attempted to keep the player engaged. The same can't be said for 999's puzzle rooms.
Personally, I consider VLR anything but great. If I were to choose, only 999 has that distinction. Everything about VLR was simultaneously a bloated and watered down version of what the game immediately before it offered, on top of not even being able to exist as a standalone experience thanks to the story being deliberately left inconclusive (and subsequently not even followed up in ways properly accounting for how that game ended). Far weaker and largely unsympathetic cast (with the worst designs in the entire trilogy), puzzles that leaned more obtuse than challenging (along with the need to do them all twice to collect every file), and a much weaker twist, with the story going full-blown Metal Gear Solid in how convoluted it was.

If anything, it was like Uchikoshi was trying to go for a compromise between a neutered take on 999's sensibilities and the generally more leisurely pacing of Ever17, all while attempting to appeal to the Danganronpa crowd at Spike Chunsoft's behest, resulting in something lesser than any of those things.

Both ZEs are about as good. I was a little sad about VLR losing some of 999's horror atmosphere but honestly, it made up for that with a insanely tense story. Haven't played anything like it ever again.

Both games share a trophy list. Boooooo. Irrelevant for those of you who don't care about trophies, but they could have made separate lists.

Guymelef

oBdMfnf.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XPR112N/

http://www.base.com/buy/product/zero-escape-the-nonary-games-p4-uk-version-ps4/dgc-zengps4.htm

Shizuka

I have a spoiler regarding the end puzzle for those that were worried:
they switched the sudoku puzzle for another different one.

Wonder what the hell is happening with the EU Vita release for this one.

Hoping they manage to get things together in time for Tokyo Xanadu. I'll probably just end up importing this.

brainslug

It's up on EU PSN (at least for me). But... 60 euros?! Damn. Even the Danganronpa collection was only 40 €.

As much as I love 999 & VLR, I will wait for sale.

MTC100

Banned
Hope there's a Steam Release coming too, would want to check out 999 again after all those years and after seeing the conclusion of the circle those games are caught in with Zero Time Dilemma.

Corpekata

Banned
Hope there's a Steam Release coming too, would want to check out 999 again after all those years and after seeing the conclusion of the circle those games are caught in with Zero Time Dilemma.

It is, it's just self published by Spike Chunsoft so all of the PR and press about it are separate.

sibarraz

Banned
Are this games hard to play? like the puzzles are convulted mess that need you to know way too specific shit, or those are puzzles that are you are capable of solving with a relative rational mind yet still give a challenge?

Atolm

They should let you just buy 999...I already have VLR twice...and as much as I love this franchise, I'm not paying 60€ for 999. Specifically not with Persona 5 ten days away.

@silbarraz I'm the type of player that always needs guides for p'n'c adventures and yet I managed to beat this series on my own.

butman

They should let you just buy 999...I already have VLR twice...and as much as I love this franchise, I'm not paying 60€ for 999. Specifically not with Persona 5 ten days away.

@silbarraz I'm the type of player that always needs guides for p'n'c adventures and yet I managed to beat this series on my own.

What a time to be alive.

Shizuka

End puzzle spoiler:
the puzzle is different, the dual screen gimmick is gone, they replaced by the screen going forward and backward between Junpei and Akane, but the puzzle itself doesn't seem related to the ending itself, it's just another puzzle.

daveo42

Banned
That's disappointing. Biggest mind blown moment of the entire game. Even after everything else, that just made the game that much better.

hank_tree

That's disappointing. Biggest mind blown moment of the entire game. Even after everything else, that just made the game that much better.

In fairness, that twist didn't hold up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny. It's like they just chucked it in at the last minute.

End puzzle spoiler:
the puzzle is different, the dual screen gimmick is gone, they replaced by the screen going forward and backward between Junpei and Akane, but the puzzle itself doesn't seem related to the ending itself, it's just another puzzle.
That sounds incredibly disappointing to a degree that I might actually try cancelling my preorder assuming it's still possible. I felt the easiest solution, albeit lackluster, in an effort to suggest the narrative twist despite the technical limit could've been to have the
artwork of a young June reflected on the sodoku puzzle like a monitor screen. What type of puzzle did they substitute in its place?

daveo42

Banned
In fairness, that twist didn't hold up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny. It's like they just chucked it in at the last minute.

While the twist itself is a bit
timey whimey with the single timeline being the only one where everything works and June is saved by Junpei
it does fit in the context of the game and the series as a whole.

Edit: Yes, these are related to the end of 999

Can you guys try to explain what's wrong with the ending puzzle without spoiling anything? I'd like to understand the impact of the change.

Shizuka

That sounds incredibly disappointing to a degree that I might actually try cancelling my preorder assuming it's still possible. I felt the easiest solution, albeit lackluster, in an effort to suggest the narrative twist despite the technical limit could've been to have the
artwork of a young June reflected on the sodoku puzzle like a monitor screen. What type of puzzle did they substitute in its place?

There's a panel with letters and numbers, you need to swap them around.

With the solution being:

In order to match the numbers you get when you activate the "hint" and form a word with your deck.

Can you guys try to explain what's wrong with the ending puzzle without spoiling anything? I'd like to understand the impact of the change.

Having played the DS version and the PlayStation remake, I don't think there's anything wrong with the ending puzzle if that's your first experience with the game.

hank_tree

While the twist itself is a bit
timey whimey with the single timeline being the only one where everything works and June is saved by Junpei
it does fit in the context of the game and the series as a whole.

Edit: Yes, these are related to the end of 999

Massive 999 spoilers with big fucking bells on. Seriously don't read this.

Sorry what I meant was the twist that bottom screen has been from June's point of view 9 years previous. You see stuff in some of the puzzle rooms on the bottom screen that couldn't have been there.

Have this coming in from Amazon today, also bought Danganronpa last week. Loving having these games in a single compilation for the PS4.

Ridley327

Having played the game I don't understand anyone's attachment to
the Sudoku puzzle.

It's not the puzzle itself, as that could have been any kind of puzzle (and, IIRC, the one-off manga did change it to something else), but how they presented it in the context of the story itself, along with the reinforcement of how deep the twist goes. I don't think that the twist in of itself is incapable of working effectively without the lengths the DS game went to, but I'm of the opinion that it was always going to lose something without those aspects.

Meia

It's not the puzzle itself, as that could have been any kind of puzzle (and, IIRC, the one-off manga did change it to something else), but how they presented it in the context of the story itself, along with the reinforcement of how deep the twist goes. I don't think that the twist in of itself is incapable of working effectively without the lengths the DS game went to, but I'm of the opinion that it was always going to lose something without those aspects.

This.

The twist is one thing, but finding out that
the ENTIRE time you've been playing the game, one screen was the past, and the other was the present, is mind-blowing.

The puzzle itself doesn't matter at all, but
having it hammered home by having Junpei's panicked face on one screen, and June's hysterical one on the other, just gives you chills. Such a thing is possible without the use of the puzzle of course, and am hoping that whatever is in place now does the same thing.

I almost don't want to pre-purchase this until I see what that last puzzle is now, lol.

hank_tree

This.

The twist is one thing, but finding out that
the ENTIRE time you've been playing the game, one screen was the past, and the other was the present, is mind-blowing.

Well except for where that isn't actually true.
Like the Cargo room, for example.

Top Bottom