• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save corrupting bug info thread

i'm only like an hour in so I think im going to sell my 3ds copy and buy it for vita over this. can't imagine possibly messing up and losing all those hours of progress.. I'd never go back to it

Sandfox

Ugh. If only we knew whether there was a proper patching system in place on the 3DS (I know Mario Kart got that update).

Games have been getting patched for the 3DS. Most of them were in Japan, but its still possible if the company wants to do so.

I myself will just avoid saving during puzzles.

Cody_D165

Banned
Hardly ever log into GAF but just to spread the word: I also received a game save corruption but under different circumstances than the PEC room. My game save was lost after saving during the room called the "Crew's Quarters" with partners being Alice and Phi. I saved to take a break because I was stuck on one of the puzzles, came back and was greeted with the black screen of nothing. So I would avoid saving in ANY puzzle rooms...

Hardly ever log into GAF but just to spread the word: I also received a game save corruption but under different circumstances than the PEC room. My game save was lost after saving during the room called the "Crew's Quarters" with partners being Alice and Phi. I saved to take a break because I was stuck on one of the puzzles, came back and was greeted with the black screen of nothing. So I would avoid saving in ANY puzzle rooms...

Man that sucks.

L00P

Don't save during the escape sections. Got it.

It's unfortunate that the game shipped with a bug like this.

Sandfox

People have been mentioning that room as well but not as many people seem to know about it. Right now it just seems to be those two rooms but I wouldn't take any chances.

Vamphuntr

Glad I waited before picking this up. Hopefully it will be patched by the time I get the game. Glitches that wipe your save are definitely one of the worse.

NFreak

Oh man, I was going to pick the game up in a few days. Now I wish I had a Vita just so I wouldn't have to deal with all this shit.

Wow, I'm glad I caught this topic before playing today. My game actually crashed in the PEC room, but thankfully I had a save at the choice beforehand.

I was going to save in the PEC room in the case the freeze happened again. That was a close one.

Durante

IMHO, save game corruption is pretty much the worst gaming-related thing that can happen, so thanks for the thread. I read the OP, but is it certain that the bug pertains to 3DS only or is it more a case of "no one experienced the issue on Vita yet, so probably"?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This sucks ass, sigh.

So the golden rule is never to save during a puzzle, correct? Better always play this with the power plug attached then, sigh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
IMHO, save game corruption is pretty much the worst gaming-related thing that can happen, so thanks for the thread. I read the OP, but is it certain that the bug pertains to 3DS only or is it more a case of "no one experienced the issue on Vita yet, so probably"?

The bug isn't present in the Vita version.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Weird that it only happens on the NA version, and only on the 3DS.

Maybe it involves some weird api call and a buffer overflow for some text somewhere? </speculation> English scripts would use more characters than the japanese ones...

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Weird that it only happens on the NA version, and only on the 3DS.

Maybe it involves some weird api call and a buffer overflow for some text somewhere? </speculation> English scripts would use more characters than the japanese ones...
I heard it happens on the JP version as well.

GaimeGuy

To be fair most reviewers were given the Vita version as it was a digital download code - myself included.

Probably did it that way because they knew of the bug on the 3ds version as much as they did for the cost :p

Paranerd

Neo Member
I'm glad I saw this thread. I own the 3DS version, so I hope I don't run into anything like this. I only got one 'To Be Continued' screen, so I still have a ways to go.

mollipen

To be fair most reviewers were given the Vita version as it was a digital download code - myself included.

Seriously—had I run into this bug, you can be absolutely certain I'd have mentioned it, and I'm sure other reviews would have as well. So instantly jumping on "lol reviewers" is pretty ridiculous.

GaimeGuy

Seriously—had I run into this bug, you can be absolutely certain I'd have mentioned it, and I'm sure other reviews would have as well. So instantly jumping on "lol reviewers" is pretty ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous when they neglect to mention game breaking bugs in so many other titles, particularly EA sports and rockstar titles.

The Vita version already had the edge before this was known, but this just seals the deal.

It sucks.....but if you guys have a choice - definitely pick up the Vita version of the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seriously&#8212;had I run into this bug, you can be absolutely certain I'd have mentioned it, and I'm sure other reviews would have as well. So instantly jumping on "lol reviewers" is pretty ridiculous.

Same. Especially in this game in which saving often is highly recommended. You can be sure I would have mentioned frequent crashing if it had happened in the version I was playing.

Apparently Aksys did sent out a few 3DS copies - although I am not sure which outlets ended up receiving them.

FSLink

Banned
It's not ridiculous when they neglect to mention game breaking bugs in so many other titles, particularly EA sports and rockstar titles.

Please don't lump all reviewers under one label. There's good ones, and there's bad ones. Mostly bad ones, but the ones around here would have mentioned something.

GaimeGuy

Please don't lump all reviewers under one label. There's good ones, and there's bad ones. Mostly bad ones, but the ones around here would have mentioned something.
Hey, I'm sorry if I offended any reviewers personally with my "lol reviewers" comment, I've just seen too much BS from the gaming press that I automatically assume the worst, as unfair as that is, I admit.

Sandfox

Same. Especially in this game in which saving often is highly recommended. You can be sure I would have mentioned frequent crashing if it had happened in the version I was playing.

Apparently Aksys did sent out a few 3DS copies - although I am not sure which outlets ended up receiving them.

Even then they would only run into the glitch if they saved in two specific rooms so they might not have even seen it.

bon

Thanks for the heads up. I hope it gets patched soon. Kind of lame if this was in the JP version and they didn't fix it.

Busaiku

Perhaps, but given how many people on GAF have run into it, it's probably likely they would have.

There are also a bunch of other bugs, which may not corrupt your file, but still forces you to restart the system, or kicks you out of the game.

Esura

Banned
Managed to finish the PEC room with no issues.

Thanks to the OT, GameFAQs and this thread for the heads up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
These glitches got me curious, was this game developed for the Vita first?

Probably not, but the 2D art was developed at high resolution at least. The same thing with 999 actually, but obviously that didn't matter for the DS's resolution.

Sigh... kinda wish someone mentioned this when I was asking around which version :(

restocking 3ds games is $5 on amazon... god damn it....

Has that aksys representative dude on gaf responded yet?

Esura

Banned
Based off visuals... doubt it.

fuuu it's already shipping :/

Does the game autosave?

Ah.

And nope. Luckily, I don't take it out my house much so I play it docked and when I'm done I just close the lid. I don't like switching out games til I'm finish otherwise I'd never go back to it.

Probably not, but the 2D art was developed at high resolution at least. The same thing with 999 actually, but obviously that didn't matter for the DS's resolution.

Ah, I was curious because the Vita version seems to be the version of choice for many people I see even before I knew of the bug in the 3DS version.

Can't wait for the high resolution VLR arwork to get release so I can do some 'shop work.

graywolf323

Gold Member
that makes me wish I could play through 999 on Vita, the artwork would look gorgeous

Top Bottom