• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save corrupting bug info thread

Javier

Went through the PEC Room without a single crash. Glad that part is done for now.

Room was lagged as shit, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Did this ever get fixed? I need to decide this week if I'm getting a Vita and this will make or break my decision.

It's hard for me to get completely into this game with potential save corruption looming. I think I'll just stick to Mario and KI until there's further news on this.

Frampis

I'm bumping a pretty old thread here, but for good reason. The game is now out on the European 3DS e-shop. I just bought that version and I'm wondering if the save bug is still present in this one. Has anyone tested this yet?

I'm bumping a pretty old thread here, but for good reason. The game is now out on the European 3DS e-shop. I just bought that version and I'm wondering if the save bug is still present in this one. Has anyone tested this yet?

RSG say they didn't encounter:

http://www.facebook.com/RisingStarGames/posts/10151549898003636

Of course they would say that, heh. Not got my copy yet(in the post), and not heard of anyone who has played the euro editon yet.

So my 20hs save data won't load, great.

I get a black screen and have to hold the power button for 15min before the system shuts down.

Fuck Nintendo, fuck Aksys, fuck Chunsoft and fuck my life too. Just fuck it all, where is the fucking patch? >.>

I get a black screen and have to hold the power button for 15min before the system shuts down.

Fuck Nintendo, fuck Aksys, fuck Chunsoft and fuck my life too. Just fuck it all, where is the fucking patch? >.>

I think the biggest kick in the face is that Aksys guy promptly fucked off after we found out about the bug. I just read that 'they're looking into it', but it sounds to me like they're just waiting for people to forget about it.

I haven't even bought the game and I'm extremely pissed off about it. If we buy the game we're supporting this kind of shit, if we don't buy it they wont give us a sequel. Can't fucking win.

And now I'm trying to replay the game and OMG it's so boring. From 9/10 all the way to 0/10.

By the way, I never once saved during a puzzle. Out of the ordinary, I left the game in the title screen for about 15min, when I got back and tried to load my save data, bam... black screen. :(

protonion

RSG say they didn't encounter:

http://www.facebook.com/RisingStarGames/posts/10151549898003636

Of course they would say that, heh. Not got my copy yet(in the post), and not heard of anyone who has played the euro editon yet.

Would they risk telling a lie? They could just remain silent.

Someone posted here I think that maybe the glitch happens due to limited space. Maybe in that puzzle room the games saves more information than usual. IF that's the case, euro version might be safe because there are no english voices.

Someone posted here I think that maybe the glitch happens due to limited space. Maybe in that puzzle room the games saves more information than usual. IF that's the case, euro version might be safe because there are no english voices.

Thats shitty if true. They won't really be able to update it (unless they can save to SD card with permission or something).

But should mean the download version should be okay.

Tagg9

How could that possibly be the reason? The amount of available save space is not related to the size of the cart.

OP should be edited.

Do not save at PEC room AT ALL, puzzle or novel segment.

The best solution to avoid this bug is saving at corridors and warehouses, never save inside a puzzle room. NEVER.

I just saw this thread. I have both the 3DS and Vita and have played about 2 hours of the 3DS version. Should I stop and just play the Vita one, even though I HATE not having a stylus? Is this bug as random as it sounds?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Did this ever get fixed? I need to decide this week if I'm getting a Vita and this will make or break my decision.

I am a 3DS player but if you can get it for Vita then just do it I say.

Aside from abilities to take/save notes the 3DS version is inferior in every way compared to the Vita version it is almost funny... well, not funny, but you get it.

I just saw this thread. I have both the 3DS and Vita and have played about 2 hours of the 3DS version. Should I stop and just play the Vita one, even though I HATE not having a stylus? Is this bug as random as it sounds?

Just do not save during puzzles and you should be golden.

An extremely annoying exception, however, is the PEC room. To save you the trouble of banging your head against the wall I recommend you just use a guide for it. Just for this room.

bakedpony

Just play the Vita version. It lets you enjoy the game without making you worry.

FSLink

Banned
OP should be edited.

Do not save at PEC room AT ALL, puzzle or novel segment.

The best solution to avoid this bug is saving at corridors and warehouses, never save inside a puzzle room. NEVER.

And Do not save in a puzzle segment at all! Not just the PEC room!.
PEC room's not the only problem room.

SoulUnison

Banned

Fifteen MINUTES!?

Zornica

Banned
Fifteen MINUTES!?

thats called a hyperbole. probably

Is it necessary to save constantly in this game? Or are people just shuting off the system that often? When I play on my 3ds, is barely exit the game or save at all, I just close the lid and come back the next day. That should mean I am not affected, right?

as of yet, there are only 2 reviews on amazon uk for the 3ds version, 1 of them rating it 1 star and complaining about the bug, though it sounds like he hasn't encountered it, just read about it on the internet. Which means it's still unknowen if the eu version is bugged or not.

Thores

thats called a hyperbole. probably

Is it necessary to save constantly in this game? Or are people just shuting off the system that often? When I play on my 3ds, is barely exit the game or save at all, I just close the lid and come back the next day. That should mean I am not affected, right

The game has the potential to crash in certain game rooms, which means once you turn your 3DS back on you'll have lost all data you hadn't saved up to that point. I'd recommend at least saving any time you're in a warehouse or AB Room.

Drakken

Dammit. Just crashed on me at the very end of the PEC room, right when I was about to put the password into the safe. :(

Fortunately my save file seems to be OK. Gotta start from the first AB decision again, but fortunately I can skip a good chunk of the dialogue leading up to the PEC room since I already went down a similar path (just with a different AB decision).

The PEC is a minefield of crashes.

If I'd had a Vita, the choice would have been clear, but I wasn't going to get one just for this game, so the Bethesda version it is.

Extremely poor form on the part of Chunsoft/Aksys.

Drakken

Would someone who's solved it mind PMing me the escape passwords for the PEC room? I really don't feel like playing through it all over.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Would someone who's solved it mind PMing me the escape passwords for the PEC room? I really don't feel like playing through it all over.

They randomize it, and sadly the PEC room isn't one you can just enter a combination or something to get. You'll have to play through all the steps.

kiryogi

Banned
Ugh. :-/

Thanks for letting me know.

The password for the safe is always the same for your own playthru however. . . That's how I got around the bug. I'd solve the puzzle asap. but then I'd leap back to redo the room with knowledge of the password and went straight to the same. Viola.

soultron

Banned
Strange. I've saved a bunch in both puzzles and my save file appears to be fine.

NA 3DS playing the retail copy. Also using the stock SD card that came with the system if it matters.

Well I guess I'm about to start the Vita version just to be safe. Does anyone have a recommended stylus for the Vita? I think it would help a little bit over using my finger.

Chunsoft needs to hire better programmers. The extent of this save bug is ridiculous.

I stopped playing because it kept hardlocking in a puzzle room for me.

The only problem I had was during the dice puzzle in the Archives. It crashed then, but it didn't destroy any save data or anything. Guess I should consider myself lucky?

Chunsoft needs to hire better programmers. The extent of this save bug is ridiculous.

I stopped playing because it kept hardlocking in a puzzle room for me.

Yeah, the PEC is a real bear. I seriously hope Chunsoft doesn't try to rush any future game out the door and give testers/programmers time to address such easily reproducible and fatal bugs.

I wonder if most of the problems are due to the 3D environments/characters as opposed to the 2D ones of 999. I like 999s aesthetic better, and to think it has all these problems for reasons that make the game look worse would be a shame.

I wonder if most of the problems are due to the 3D environments/characters as opposed to the 2D ones of 999. I like 999s aesthetic better, and to think it has all these problems for reasons that make the game look worse would be a shame.

I think it's more like a save management problem. I think they have finished the 3DS version first, then made the Vita version, that would explain some changes.
I hope that Chunsoft will be more carefull about the 3rd entry. I mean, I may see how they wouldn't bother making a patch in Japan, considering the game sold less than 20k (with both games).
But I think that in USA (and maybe even in Europe), the game sold better. And I think we deserve some treatment.
Also, I know it may not be Aksys or RSG fault, but it's a shame they just disappear when the problem appeared. They could at least have gave explanations.

Yikes, first I heard of this. I had my game crash during the PEC escape, causing me to lose 2 hours worth of progress, but good thing I didn't save inside the escape (or any escape--I'm weird and always solve every puzzle before taking a break) or I could have lost much more.

Yikes, first I heard of this. I had my game crash during the PEC escape, causing me to lose 2 hours worth of progress, but good thing I didn't save inside the escape (or any escape--I'm weird and always solve every puzzle before taking a break) or I could have lost much more.

That's what worrying me. I'm 20hours in the game, and still not have seen the PEC Room. I just had one crash, but no problem. I would be really sad to lose my progress.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's what worrying me. I'm 20hours in the game, and still not have seen the PEC Room. I just had one crash, but no problem. I would be really sad to lose my progress.

PEC was on the last route I did. I would never have picked te game up again if I lost the ~25 hours it took to get there. Really disappointing to see the lack of continued response to this.

Allright... I just finished the PEC Room...
No crash, no save corrupt... I was so stressed in this room... I hope I won't have to worry again or play in this room again...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At this point, I’m pretty convinced that if the bug were indeed going to receive a patch, we’d have heard about it from Aksys by now, or at the very least have some sort of timeline for such. Combined with the reports that we’ve heard that this bug happens in various places, I’m beginning to suspect that they can’t “isolate” the bug because it’s not all in one place. It’s quite possible that the game’s engine (at least as reworked for the English version, if not the original Japanese edition) would have to be mostly if not completely rewritten (i.e. there’s no set specific “trigger” causing the bug so much as there’s a million little errors that just keep adding up until the RAM is overloaded, causing crashes and worse, corrupting saves when said crash happens before the save is complete). This would explain why neither Aksys nor Rising Sun found the bug, and if that’s the case there’d be no way to isolate it and simply “patch” the game. At least not in a cost effective manner.

Assuming my above supposition is true, I’d like to offer some possible alternatives for Aksys/Rising Sun/Chunsoft that may be better paths to pursue to fixing the 3DS version of Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward.

First idea - Patch in a second save slot on the cartridge: This would be the ideal work around, and it’s baffling that it does not already include this feature, seeing as the Vita cartridge has three save slots. This way if one save became corrupted, a backup would be present (assuming the player uses it, obviously) so that not all their progress would be lost.

Second idea – Patch in a second save slot via the SD card: If for some reason a save slot cannot be patched directly into the cartridge (or if space doesn’t allow), perhaps a patch could be created to allow players to save to the SD card instead. This would again let people save in a second slot, allowing them to divert problems with losing a save.

Third idea – Create an auto-dual save system: This would be trickier I’d imagine, but it might work if there isn’t enough space to create a second save slot directly on the cartridge, or if there’s problems setting up a manual system (though I would imagine that’d be easier… but again I’m not a programmer so I don’t know. These are just ideas I had on the drive home today). The system I’m imagining would work as follows: When someone goes to save their game in the sole save slot, it would save the game directly to the save slot and complete. Then, before doing anything else, it automatically saves again, only this time it saves directly to the SD card. Note that this would only work if it saves once, and then saves again afterward, not both at the same time (in other words, one after the other with no overlap). So, let’s imagine the following scenario.

The player gets to a puzzle room and saves before entering. The game first saves on the cartridge, and then afterward to the SD card. The player engages the puzzle, saves, and the game crashes. Now, if the saves are done separately as instructed above, in theory the crash should only corrupt one save file, not both. After the 3DS automatically reboots, the player goes to the loading screen. When the player selects the file to load, the game examines both saves, looking to see if one save file is smaller than the other. If it detects that one save file is smaller than the other, the game boots with the bigger save file, and once it’s loaded the game completely (thus proving the save is not corrupt), it then prompts the player with a message stating “The system has detected that the back up save may be corrupt. Copy over the corrupted save? Yes/No” When the player says Yes (who wouldn’t?), the game takes the save that it loaded and copies over the smaller save. Once complete, the game would prompt that copy is complete, and the game resumes.

That last one is probably a bit too much, but it’s just an idea I had while trying to think of workarounds. I honestly don’t know which of these ideas would be hardest to program in, assuming any of them possible. I just wanted to put these ideas down and hopefully keep the fixing effort alive should “fixing the bug” (the all around better and ideal solution) prove impossible.

MarkusRJR

This whole issue made me lose a lot of respect for both Aksys and Chunsoft. I don't think I'll ever preorder (or buy a game day one) from them ever again. I don't want to get a fucked up game. The 3DS version severely needs a patch.

Top Bottom