• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero no Kiseki Evolution (Vita) - Information Thread (Screens, etc)

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Reading on hachima that a lot of people are tweeting about freezing issues with the game. Cancelled my preorder a while back since I'm still playing SC. May have dodged a bullet, hopefully they patch this soon.

I was gonna make a thread, but I figured there wasn't much point since few will get it, and even fewer will play it. We can just use this one, I think. Mine's gonna be here in the morning, though.

GAF members who have actually played Zero/Ao rollcall, here we come?

Reading on hachima that a lot of people are tweeting about freezing issues with the game. Cancelled my preorder a while back since I'm still playing SC. May have dodged a bullet, hopefully they patch this soon.

People reported a bunch of glitches with Ao no Kiseki but I never experienced any. I wonder why.

Aeana

I never had any problems in Ao, either. But Falcom didn't program ZnK Evolution, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some problems with it.

hongcha

I cancelled my preorder a few weeks back because I have such a backlog, but after reading the complaints of the bugs and freezes, it looks like I made a good decision. Hopefully they'll patch it.

Aeana

Hmmm. And contacting Falcom wouldn't be very fruitful. They are really active and responsive to people, but I dunno whether Pyramid or CharaAni is the one to contact in this case, and whether they'd bother fixing it.

The reason for fixing such problems would ultimately be to uphold a certain level of consumer confidence, would it not? While Falcom may not have ported the game themselves, they're probably going to be the ones interested in making their customers happy and I would imagine they'd be in a position to pressure on or work with whoever ported it.

Aeana

Well, Falcom's been notified. I dunno what else to do though. I don't know how to get in contact with Pyramid. But considering the ruckus, they've probably heard by now.

My copy is at the wife's parents house, will check it out tomorrow. Probably wont play through it in earnest for a bit still -- too many shorter games in my backlog/coming soon that I may opt to play first. However, a few things that have already bothered me...

1. chara-ani ordering (I wanted the gentei version) was horrible compared to modern sites. I had to pay for the whole thing upfront (over $100) and then it was delayed. I also moved in that time, and when I contacted them, they told me it was impossible to change the shipping address. What the hell? So, it is sitting at the inlaws, but what if I had moved from another address?

2. They (kadokawa/chara-ani) are supposedly cracking down on YouTube/etc videos of the game, which are completely prohibited. Falcom themselves will even go as far as to tweet about people's "lets play"s of their games on YouTube, but not these guys.

3. No instruction manual. When people complained/asked about it, kadokawa/chara-ani didn't seem to 'get it'-- they just said "don't worry, everyone, there is a digital manual on the game itself."

4. The freezing issues, of which there has not yet been any official response or acknowledgement from kadokawa/chara-ani. They keep saying "if you have any questions or issues please contact the support center whose information is listed on page so-and-so of the digital instruction manual." They won't even give out the support contact info directly -- just telling people to check the digital manual.

I guess I'm just annoyed because its a Falcom game (and a great one at that), and everything seems to currently handled very un-Falcom like. It isn't Falcom's fault, but a lot of the issues and stuff I've read so far have me a bit annoyed. If this stuff keeps up I'd say our chances of Ao Evolution are next to zero.

I'm told to mention that bug reports for this should not go to Falcom, but to the contact information in the digital manual instead.

3. No instruction manual. When people complained/asked about it, kadokawa/chara-ani didn't seem to 'get it'-- they just said "don't worry, everyone, there is a digital manual on the game itself."

From what few Vita games I own so far, this seems to be fairly common - the cases have a slot for a manual but it contains nothing more often than not. My only import game so far (Project DIVA f) also has no physical manual.

Aeana

I'm told to mention that bug reports for this should not go to Falcom, but to the contact information in the digital manual instead.

From what few Vita games I own so far, this seems to be fairly common - the cases have a slot for a manual but it contains nothing more often than not. My only import game so far (Project DIVA f) also has no physical manual.
Told by whom?
Although yes, Falcom had little to do with it, so they're not the ones to contact. Although we were kinda hoping that they'd help pressure Pyramid to put a patch out.

Told by whom?
Although yes, Falcom had little to do with it, so they're not the ones to contact. Although we were kinda hoping that they'd help pressure Pyramid to put a patch out.

A friend who for whatever reason couldn't get her account activated here. =/

The ZnK Evo twitter said to contact the chara-ani team, and to not ask Falcom about the game.

Regarding the instruction booklet, Ys had one (it was shorter and different from the digital manual, but it was a full color manual with character introductions). For regular games these days I can understand the lack of manuals, but for deep RPGs (especially those with uber super duper omg collectors editions) they could at least throw something in there like Falcom did for Celceta.

luca1980

Banned
By the time I learn Japanese to play this game these issues will be resolved lol
Anyway that's disheartening to hear given its status of major franchise for falcom IMHO.
They need to pressure the developer to fix it

Varion

The ZnK Evo twitter said to contact the chara-ani team, and to not ask Falcom about the game.

Regarding the instruction booklet, Ys had one (it was shorter and different from the digital manual, but it was a full color manual with character introductions). For regular games these days I can understand the lack of manuals, but for deep RPGs (especially those with uber super duper omg collectors editions) they could at least throw something in there like Falcom did for Celceta.
Celceta's actually the only Vita game with anything resembling a manual. It was actually a surprise when that did have one.

Really disappointed to hear about the whole thing though, I was initially not going to get this because the first bunch of music arranges were terrible, but they finally won me over with a stream a few months ago (mostly the new versions of the Geofront theme and 叡智への誘い), and then this goes and happens. I'd like to assume it'll be fixed but otherwise I can only hope it doesn't affect me. Some of the amazon reviews seem to be telling them where to look for issues at least.

The game is on its way to me now. I have to say I'm feeling nervous about the freezing issues. I'll definitely be watching this thread as well to see how it works out for everyone who will have it before me.

ranmafan

Got mine yesterday, the bug issues sound bad. Hopefully they can fix it by the time I can get to the game. Also, I was quite frustrated with the little figure that came with it. It's nice and all but the figure didn't come with the little stick to stand it up on its little pedestal. I wonder if those figures are all like that? Seems like maybe I just got a bad one of the bunch but I don't know.

Got mine yesterday, the bug issues sound bad. Hopefully they can fix it by the time I can get to the game. Also, I was quite frustrated with the little figure that came with it. It's nice and all but the figure didn't come with the little stick to stand it up on its little pedestal. I wonder if those figures are all like that? Seems like maybe I just got a bad one of the bunch but I don't know.

Wow, I think it should definitely come with one -- I'll double check mine tomorrow. I think I'll also run through the first couple hours of the game just to see if I freeze.

ranmafan

Please post here when you find out. I was quite bummed about not having it cause it's a nice little figure, but just can't stand up on its on.

omgfloofy

Banned
Thought I'd bring up the fact that I know at least two people who have it and have been actively playing it- and neither of them have encountered the freezing issue. It sounds like it may be a sporadic, 'hit or miss' sort of thing?

(Also, I also personally ran into a particular bug in Ao no Kiseki's final dungeon and elevator. I was SO glad I saved immediately after that boss (the last before getting to the final boss itself), otherwise, I would've had to do the fight all over again.)

(When you take the elevator back, after the boss, there's a chance that you end up /underneath it/ when it gets to its destination.)

Thought I'd bring up the fact that I know at least two people who have it and have been actively playing it- and neither of them have encountered the freezing issue. It sounds like it may be a sporadic, 'hit or miss' sort of thing?

(Also, I also personally ran into a particular bug in Ao no Kiseki's final dungeon and elevator. I was SO glad I saved immediately after that boss (the last before getting to the final boss itself), otherwise, I would've had to do the fight all over again.)

(When you take the elevator back, after the boss, there's a chance that you end up /underneath it/ when it gets to its destination.)

Oh god did you stream that? I seem to remember you encountering freezing toward the end while I flailed wildly in the chat.

A notice was added to the website today that they are aware of the problems and that they are taking the proper measures to counteract the issues some players are having.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what the chances are of the vita getting a renkaban line are. Once they fix this issue I'd love to get a complete and pre-patched version on the cart :|

Aeana

GeiLm.jpg

Get get~
I'm not sure if I want to bother starting it now though. :\

Aeana

I popped it in just to check it out. My first thought was that the text actually looks kinda bad compared to the screenshots they released before. Pretty surprising considering it looks good in the shots; must be the downscaling. That aside, the game looks great - pretty much just like the PC version (which means PSP geometry remains, and some textures are low res to the point of being kinda blurry, especially signs), only on a much better screen, and with a MUCH better framerate. The remixed music is a mixed bag for my tastes so far, but it's generally fine. The voices are pretty good, and I'm surprised at just how much actually is voiced so far. Also... maybe it's just because I know what happens, but I really felt like the new opening movie was kinda spoilery. It's cool, though; I'm not used to seeing actual animation in Falcom game openings!

omgfloofy

Banned
Oh god did you stream that? I seem to remember you encountering freezing toward the end while I flailed wildly in the chat.

Yeah. I was live on stream and people in the chat were all 'uh... wtf?,' but I never saved a highlight of the bug. I've seen it elsewhere on youtube, though.

Aeana

The zero_evo Twitter account has been silent for a long time now. I wonder what's going on. I really hope they didn't decide to not fix it.

Varion

The zero_evo Twitter account has been silent for a long time now. I wonder what's going on. I really hope they didn't decide to not fix it.
Maybe they just realised it's best to shut up and get on with fixing the game. Looking at their twitter page half of the recent responses seem to be apologies anyway. Trying to sell people on the game isn't going to be very effective when everyone knows how widespread the problems are.

It would be nice if they actually gave us an update though, they said they were looking into it but that was 10/11 days ago with not a word since. The silence isn't encouraging, but I want to believe they're still looking into it. Can only hope Falcom think twice about ever giving anything to Pyramid again either way.

I hope

1) The patch fixes everything 100%

2) It isn't too late/there isn't so much ill-will that this thing is already basically buried...

Jonnyram

Wow, nice timing. Just started it a couple of days ago and it froze in the tutorial so I gave up.
Hope the patch does fix everything.

I'm in the same boat, just started the game and decided to stop after hearing about the patch. Hopefully it will fix the issues. I've gotten one freeze so far, and have run into some graphical glitches as well. I also find myself wondering if there are voices missing when I go through long stretches without voiced dialogue. Does anyone know where I can find a bug compilation list? Hopefully the patch takes care of everything.

i love the look of those games!! started playing trails in the sky yesterday and instantly fell in love with it.. come on xseed! bring this to the west

Varion

The graphics look... weird. They are sharp but fuzzy at the same time. I kinda like it.
Probably became some of the textures seem to be left as is but the sprites seem to natively be the higher resolution. Looks great on the Vita screen though, especially in battles when most of the stuff on screen is high res portraits, interface stuff and sprites.

Don't know when I'll get round to this now. Still interested in playing it but it'll have to wait until after some other stuff now. Doesn't help I've heard the new version of my favourite track and hate it. Some of the best bits won't be the same with a dull, lifeless version of Demonic Drive.

Top Bottom