• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

takoyaki

gamespot 6/10
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is a game that refuses to be pinned down. It explores quantum physics and meta probability, horror tropes and memory loss, revealing hidden nuances as it unfolds like an origami swan. There are a slew of minor problems that mire its intriguing story, but nonetheless, Zero Time Dilemma wields complex topics to paint a morbid tale about the essence of human nature.

[…]But too many escape rooms ignore the lessons learned from the missteps of old school adventure games. Too many require constant clicking on seemingly innocuous details on the screen. Too many eschew the subtle guidance of a good puzzle, opting instead to rely on point-and-click mechanics, creating frustration and removing you from the experience almost as much as the poor animation and dialogue do.

[…]It’s a complex narrative built around a chaotic, intriguing structure. It may stumble too many times with its dialogue, fail to find much substance in its characters, and lack any impressive presentation. But it uses that fragmented structure to keep you guessing, and engaged, right up to its numerous depressing, hopeful, gruesome endings.

lowest review score so far. Definitely agree with the reviewer's criticism of pixelhunting during the puzzle rooms (especially on the small screen of a handheld)

Eusis

Oof, that 6 from Gamespot stings a little bit, but then again, he played it on the 3DS - clearly the worst option. **shrugs**
I can also see it being the most "objective" in that it's weighing the gameplay more fully than others have, going by that snippet.

But whatever, I'd rather play a mildly annoying 6/10 game that will leave a hell of an impression versus most milquetoast 8-9 AAA games. And this time a lot of people feel that experience is so strong as to override gameplay/presentation issues.

grim-tales

Hey,
Im some way in and enjoying it so far. TBH im not sure if i like it at first because the lack of interactivity hurts and it feels more like a movie (I hit a lock in
c route with akane and carlos when she goes apeshit
and animation looked weird but the puzzles are really good. Can anyone help me with the
cortex puzzle with q team

grim-tales

I finished the first puzzle with Sigma, Diana and Phi, it was great and very enjoyable actually. Not too easy but not too hard either.
Something i heard after was interesting:
So Phi is really 67 or is she still young?

I finished the first puzzle with Sigma, Diana and Phi, it was great and very enjoyable actually. Not too easy but not too hard either.
Something i heard after was interesting:
So Phi is really 67 or is she still young?

Phi is still young, it's Sigma that's his old mind in a young body.

There's an OT if you're interested, too. There's a spoiler thread but obviously you might not find that ideal ATM.

Top Bottom