• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ZhugeEX]FIFA wants to charge EA double the amount

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks Arsene.

angry mourinho GIF by nss sports

Bloody FIFA.

They've been trying to increase their profits for a while now, pushing for more frequent competitions like a biennial world cup, increasing the number of teams in the WC group stage to increase broadcasting returns, and now this (if it's true)

It's their prerogative, sure, but it seems like it's getting a little mad

edit: on the other hand, one product having exclusive rights to the majority of the world's footballing trademarks is, and has been, a little much. Especially when EA seems to be in the news for some bullshit every other season

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
FIFA wants to now charge EA $1B every 4 years? So $250M per year? lol

Since EA basically the only game in town (PES seems like a non-factor), if I was EA, I dumbed down that fee. FIFA will surely still take it. It's not like Konami is going to go ape shit ponying up big money to offset.

Last edited:

Mess

EA is so cute with the menace of a name change. FIFA could sell the right for any other publisher that could then release "FIFA 2023" right?

Also FIFA is a much bigger bully than EA... They will prolly end up paying more than the raise FIFA initially asked for.

Yoboman

EA is so cute with the menace of a name change. FIFA could sell the right for any other publisher that could then release "FIFA 2023" right?

Also FIFA is a much bigger bully than EA... They will prolly end up paying more than the raise FIFA initially asked for.
EA is definitely bigger than FIFA

Although ironically a lot of that is due to FIFA so its a chicken and egg situation

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So it's solely for the FIFA brand. Not teams and players? If I was EA, I'd save the fee if you still got the leagues/teams/players. Call it EA Futball 2023.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Realistically who's going to pay 1billion+ every 4 years? How do you recoup that money if not by heavy MTX like EA is doing now?
If FIFA sells 20 million copies per year(?), that's 80 million copies. They already pay $500M, so to cover another $500M across 80M copies, they'd have to earn another ~$6/copy in mtx or price hikes just to comp it.

A $10 price hike ($7 after digital or store cuts) would work if it still leads to the same # of copies sold.

Last edited:

Yoboman

If FIFA was open to having the license be exclusive to one platform holder it would be hilarious if Sony San Diego dropped MLB and started making FIFA.
If it were Sony which is unlikely - and I seriously doubt San Diego have the passion for soccer that they do for Baseball - then its going to be multiplat regardless

I could see a lot of companies throwing their hat in the ring including Sony and MS

Sleepwalker

If it were Sony which is unlikely - and I seriously doubt San Diego have the passion for soccer that they do for Baseball - then its going to be multiplat regardless

I could see a lot of companies throwing their hat in the ring including Sony and MS

It's a bit more complex than that. Paying FIFA the 1 billion for the naming rights does not include player likeness or team + competition licenses. Making a comprehensive football game entails negotiations with over 100 indepedent parties for their licenses. It's not like going to the NFL and getting the rights for the league and be done with it. There are over 50 leagues right now in FIFA 22, each of them with it's own agreement.

So if potentially you just bought the naming rights from FIFA and nothing else, you could release FIFA 23 starring christian rolondo and leonel massi, that's about it.

Thief1987

If EA has exclusive contracts with FIFPro and most of the leagues, than only FIFA branding is completely worthless. It will be 100% PES situation, but you can call your game with fake leagues, players and stadiums, FIFA instead of Random Football Simulator.

Last edited:

Mess

EA is definitely bigger than FIFA

Although ironically a lot of that is due to FIFA so its a chicken and egg situation

Time will tell but FIFA is ruthless. They obviously are smaller than EA but a much bigger bully I'd think.

NickFire

I hope Karma cashes in its money in the bank contract mid-match, wins the belt, and leaves EA with a blanket ban on card packs in major markets, and leaves FIFA trying to replace their annual contract fee with whatever royalties that unfinished game can generate next year. That would be the best outcome for all involved.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Bloody FIFA.

They've been trying to increase their profits for a while now, pushing for more frequent competitions like a biennial world cup, increasing the number of teams in the WC group stage to increase broadcasting returns, and now this (if it's true)

edit: on the other hand, one product having exclusive rights to the majority of the world's footballing trademarks is, and has been, a little much. Especially when EA seems to be in the news for some bullshit every other season

World cup every 2 years is so transparently greedy.

lachesis

It's a Wednesday - so MS or Sony just should buy FIFA all together. (jk)

Thing is.... I don't like either EA or FIFA (or pretty much any international sports org - especially corrupt ones like IOC) to be honest - but what's going to happen is that it would be the players who would end up paying for either higher price, or poor quality or ton of DLCs. :(

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
As someone who owned all the fifa's from 05 till 20 i say
thats-what-we-call-karma-bitch-colby.gif

They gave the pc players the last gen version, they fucked the gameplay with all those weird shitty defensing systems, they made UT pay to win. And the worst of them all after Fifa 16 the scripting in those games where a tragedy. It takes 50% skill and 50% scripting to win the game. If the game doesnt want you to win than forget it you can't even score from 2m anymore. I stopped supporting them after Fifa 20, it was the most trash footbal game i had ever played. And that comes from someone who was always div 1 in every game and put 500h+ every year in Fifa. Im so happy i abandoned this trash, they made the game worse every year and still where charging 60$.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
While its an important brand name I dont think EA need it unless its tied to the use of clubs and players

Would like to see a break and for a competitor company to take on FIFA (not 2K)
The clubs and players is the only thing that matters in FIFA. However EA can get those through individual league and player association licenses.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Battle of the greed. What a time to be alive.

That said, EA Sports brand is big enough to do well on its own but I guess EA still want the license.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Microsoft is probably the only publisher with deep enough pockets to get the Fifa license and make it exclusive to Xbox. EA can put out their version with authentic player names and clubs but the average Fifa player is so stupid they they'd go for an Xbox version.

Bloody FIFA.

FIFA and EA, match made in hell.

Top Bottom