• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zoe Quinn #meToo / Alec Holowka suicide -- Update: Article questions ZQ's account of events (link in OP)

Pidull

Of course I may be wrong, but I have the feeling that both Alec and Zoe were abusive to each other in different ways, and this was a messy, grey as fuck situation where fallible people made bad decisions.

The tragedy of it all is that it culminated in someone's death.

Of course I may be wrong, but I have the feeling that both Alec and Zoe were abusive to each other in different ways, and this was a messy, grey as fuck situation where fallible people made bad decisions.

The tragedy of it all is that it culminated in someone's death.
Agreed, I think this was a toxic relationship on both fronts. Alec at least deserved a voice or a chance to redeem himself through treatment

MayauMiao

I hope this debacle knock some sense into many game devs out there to not get her (I don't give a shit about her pronoun) involved in any of their projects.

She is just a walking disaster, a magnet for cancel culture that only serves to waste time and money on ridiculous politics that benefits no one but her outrage mob while also ruin careers of anyone who cross path against her.

I hope this debacle knock some sense into many game devs out there to not get her (I don't give a shit about her pronoun) involved in any of their projects.

She is just a walking disaster, a magnet for cancel culture that only serves to waste time and money on ridiculous politics that benefits no one but her outrage mob while also ruin careers of anyone who cross path against her.
Seriously, I can’t think of anything good being associated with this woman. But hey, a bunch of game “journalists” slept with her during GG so I’m not surprised.

*narcissism intensifies*

I did just pick up on something, though. . .does Zoe demand gender neutral pronouns? Let's start calling Zoe "it" then.

Edit: Ah, looks like a shitposting account. But that is basically what I expect to happen. It happened 6 years ago, after all.

Last edited:
People need to stop saying ya’ll on social media unless you are a southerner or black. I thought leftists hated southern whites.

Don't forget "folks", "folk", and sometimes "folx" (the latter generally being idiots who say "Latinx" as well).

They are trying to co-opt the language of the poor and downtrodden as they sip on lattes and jetset to different conventions.

For example see "Gamergate got Alision Rapp fired from Nintendo for just having a part time job".

I got moderated at GameFAQs for calling her a whore, hilariously. She took her clients to Nintendo company offices for sex FFS. Imagine Reggie's face when that tidbit worked it's way up the chain.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Wow, this escalated quickly.

There's probably not much i can say that hasn't already been said but here's how I see it.

I don't blame either side really. This is a tragedy. I do blame the #metoo movement. Shit like this should happen in private. It was recent enough to be tried in court...why air it out in public?

I understand that it could eventually get to the public if brought to court, but it should start there. To put something this sensitive up in the court of public opinion is basically asking for both the victim and the alleged abuser to be vilified. It doesn't make matters better in any way, as clearly demonstrated here.

I've said it time and time again...the #metoo movement is nothing but a spectacle that, in my opinion, destroys careers (and more recently, lives) without any kind of due process.

I'm not saying Zoe shouldn't be believed, but this could have ended differently if people just learn to separate what should be public and what should be private.

All of us need to do a better job of minding our own fuckin business.

Tragic situation in all regards. No heroes here thats for sure. All lose.

Laws have to be made better.
Yet, public shaming and 'social justice' are even worse.
There was a reason we as a species stopped conducting public executions after all. Be it of body or character.

Victims have more than the right to talk about the horrors they experience. And they arent responsible for the acts of the people they accuse of whatever may be the case. The only acts we are responsible for are our own.

Im just a feeble stranger typing this on the internet. I hold no answers.

Still, people should talk, people should expose, people should discuss, people should confort and people should demand investigation.

People should demand investigation and then justice in the light of what was discovered.

Online hiveminds and online attacks can only lead to bad things like mob mentality always does.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You know, I heard the name Zoe Quinn before this recent story, but I didn't really care to know or learn anything about her, but all the shit I'm reading in here is giving me some serious PTSD anxiety shit from an ex of mine who was a fucking nutjob, and I'm noticing a lot of similar shit between the two. And I still to this day fear that she will spread lies about me because she is not right in the head, and she accused me of stuff that wasn't remotely true, it was absolute insanity.

This anti-man culture evolving in front of our eyes is really scary, and if anyone out there has to deal with it personally, stay strong.

I believe since women are our child-bearer and that being that it is the duty of men to protect and care for women and I do feel terrible when any woman gets treated like shit, or like a sex object, or not respected, or discriminated against. But the solution is to just treat women better and give them equal opportunities and rights. Not to do that and start discriminating against men. That serves no purpose either.

That's how you know these people have anger issues. If you are a good caring person, you'd fight for women's equal rights and treatment, not use a movement to wage war against the other gender.

2019:

Let's not just help women, let's attack men
Let's not just not buy a game we don't like, let's try to ruin it
Let's not just not watch a celebrity we don't like, let's try to destroy his career
Let's not just block an annoying stranger on social media, let's find out where he works and get him fired so he can't support his family

If you do just the former, you're fine. If you feel compelled to do the latter, you're the one who needs help, I hate to tell you.

Last edited:
Too sensational unless you have proof.

I'll have to look it up to find confirmation. I know I read that years ago when she was freshly fired because I thought it was completely absurd, but it was along with some social media screenshots. I know that and her pimping out her unwilling husband for gay sex were the highlights for me.

It might be in her KF thread.

nush

Gold Member
I'll have to look it up to find confirmation. I know I read that years ago when she was freshly fired because I thought it was completely absurd, but it was along with some social media screenshots. I know that and her pimping out her unwilling husband for gay sex were the highlights for me.

It might be in her KF thread.
Well, link, source and screencap. Otherwise it sounds like some sensationalist BS you might have been taken in by.

I get sick of hearing about these social justice crusades which end in horrible circumstances
How about we point out how fucking stupid some of these people are create something which highlights this

how about we start a Kickstarter to reboot the game lemmings (with a twist)
In case you don’t know the original game its your task to guide a bunch of little creatures called lemmings through a level using a variety abilities and they have to make it to the end portal
Dn2S0Pz.jpg

Instead of lemmings they are a bunch of forum npcs

IEVQoOJ.jpg

you have to lead the lemmings on a social justice crusade through a level by using things to attract your lemmings down a path like Twitter mobs or social justice figures and along the way they have enemies like Evidence monsters and killer maga hats and you have to shield your little minions until you get to the end

Your reward is you will get your little lemmings to a little ship where they can fly away to a land where there are unlimited genders and no police or straight white males

I was thinking once the game gets made the sales of the game would be donated towards a mental health support charity

What do you think?

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I get sick of hearing about these social justice crusades which end in horrible circumstances
How about we point out how fucking stupid some of these people are create something which highlights this

how about we start a Kickstarter to reboot the game lemmings (with a twist)
In case you don’t know the original game its your task to guide a bunch of little creatures called lemmings through a level using a variety abilities and they have to make it to the end portal
Dn2S0Pz.jpg

Instead of lemmings they are a bunch of forum npcs

IEVQoOJ.jpg

you have to lead the lemmings on a social justice crusade through a level by using things to attract your lemmings down a path like Twitter mobs or social justice figures and along the way they have enemies like Evidence monsters and killer maga hats and you have to shield your little minions until you get to the end

Your reward is you will get your little lemmings to a little ship where they can fly away to a land where there are unlimited genders and no police or straight white males

I was thinking once the game gets made the sales of the game would be donated towards a mental health support charity

What do you think?

Sorry, sending them off to be happy somewhere isn’t fun.

The goal of the game should be to keep them from getting free to spread like the cancer they are. To win you have to drive them all into a little grinder or something that turns them into soylent green.

Hudo

I have become utterly convinced, that using pronouns like "they, them" to refer to a single entity is, in fact, an abuse (dare I say, even rape?) of the English language. The people who have curated the language over centuries could not have anticipated that, one day, there will be people, who deliberately use parts of the language the wrong way. That must be a nightmare for every linguist: Not people who don't know the language (well enough) but people who do and yet choose to use it the wrong way. Ludwig Wittgenstein would have had a fucking field day with this, lol. That's like doing OpenGL stuff (inherently state based) in a purely functional language like Haskell (yeah, I know you can do that via Monads): You can do it but you will get stares.

So, I have decided to not call one entity with a pluralic pronoun (is that the correct term?) like "they, them, their", because it is semantically and syntactically wrong. If having (internet) people referring to you as "they, them, their" is the only interesting thing going on in your life, then you are even worse off then me, lol.

Last edited:

Rhysser

Banned
I have become utterly convinced, that using pronouns like "they, them" to refer to a single entity is, in fact, an abuse (dare I say, even rape?) of the English language. The people who have curated the language over centuries could not have anticipated that, one day, there will be people, who deliberately use parts of the language the wrong way.

I was curious and googled it. Apparently "they" was used as a singular form since like before the 1300s, and it was only in the 18th century that grammarians started complaining about it. "You" also used to be the plural of "thou" and " In 1660, George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, wrote a whole book labeling anyone who used singular you an idiot or a fool".

Turns out pronouns change over time.

Source: Oxford English Dictionary Blog. https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I was curious and googled it. Apparently "they" was used as a singular form since like before the 1300s, and it was only in the 18th century that grammarians started complaining about it. "You" also used to be the plural of "thou" and " In 1660, George Fox, the founder of Quakerism, wrote a whole book labeling anyone who used singular you an idiot or a fool".

Source: Oxford English Dictionary Blog. https://public.oed.com/blog/a-brief-history-of-singular-they/

So not only are we going backwards in the sense that these heavily promoted "twitter trials" are akin to the legal systems of yore when there were no options for official processes, but we are also regressing the English language while we are at it?

Wonderful.

Rhysser

Banned
So not only are we going backwards in the sense that these heavily promoted "twitter trials" are akin to the legal systems of yore when there were no options for official processes, but we are also regressing the English language while we are at it?

Wonderful.

Kind of. Like we took "you" and made it singular but no one is complaining about that. Basically language does whatever it wants over time.

Last edited:

This is almost a different topic unto itself. However there are plenty of non-gender specific pronouns in the English language. For instance 'one' as in 'one could go to the store' is perfectly acceptable. However over time using 'one' was used more by royalty. It's still often used to describe the Queen of England for instance. As a result it's taken on, for lack of a better word, 'poncy' connotations. Still gender non-specific pronouns have been part of the English language for a long time. Still saying 'one could do something' would probably piss someone off if they were two-spirit or wolf-kin so in other words you can't please everybody.

Still I think Zoe's case is a bit different. I've seen her, at least once before, pull out the 'I'm actually agender' card when faced with criticism. Last time it was when her Crash Override Network faced intense criticism and accusations of misconduct from former employees, some of whom were transsexual. I'll try to find a link but if not you'll just have to take my word for it. I think someone posted one of the call-outs earlier in the thread however.

That's my big criticism of the whole 'woke'/social justice/progressive internet movement. It seems increasingly that these terms are little more than a form of social currency in the big video game of twitter outrage. It's almost like you can use these terms and phrases as a move to shield yourself from criticism or to score points in the great big game of whogivesafuck. Of course the difficulty is that some people genuinely mean what they're saying/posting which makes it very difficult when someone like Chelsea comes along: saying these phrases and then behaving in such a way to directly contradict most of it.

petran79

Banned
Dude, get a grip. This is reality we are talking about. The circle jerk of SJW wokeness isn't going to matter a shit in a court of law or to a Judge versus the findings of an investigation. Up until now, these internet spats have resulted in people being ostracised or losing their jobs, but someone killed themselves here. This is a significant step up.

I trust the police and the judges to show the appropriate sensitivity in this issue. She seems to belong to the people with very high connections who take always her side and most importantly give her very good advice about damage control no matter her uncontrolled whims. Even against the expense of other people with mental health and disabilities. But "they" go as far that they even divide people with such issues into progressives and anti-progressives

NikuNashi

sometimes, i feel really relieved i live in the third world, over here we don't have to deal with none of this bullshit

Yup, I live in Asia and am in no hurry to go back west. It's scary what has happened to the west in the 10 years since I left. I am sure at some point this virus will infect Japanese shores and this country will be eaten alive from the inside, I just hope feminism dies before that happens.

Aceofspades

Banned
sometimes, i feel really relieved i live in the third world, over here we don't have to deal with none of this bullshit

These people needs their values to be reset somehow. That time they will realize that their gender shenanigans and other SJWs issues they kept fighting for was nothing compared to real issues suffered by a lot of people in some places.

Kadayi

Banned
I trust the police and the judges to show the appropriate sensitivity in this issue. She seems to belong to the people with very high connections who take always her side and most importantly give her very good advice about damage control no matter her uncontrolled whims. Even against the expense of other people with mental health and disabilities. But "they" go as far that they even divide people with such issues into progressives and anti-progressives

She's nothing more than another internet grifter who's made a living for herself largely by relying on the whole '1000 true fans' largesse of useful idiots who think that she stands for something. I get it that you think she's somehow beyond the law at this point, but a man killed himself here in response to her actions, and beyond a few crazies no one thinks otherwise. Do you think Alec's friends & family is somehow going to be ok with what happened? Forget his sister for a moment, consider his parents, his grand parents etc. You think they're just going to be 'It's fine' with everything that happened?

Top Bottom