• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi U pics + footage

Interesting remarks about the story and characters as that seems like one of the biggest unknown factors at the moment.

Yup, the only thing we know about the story is that it's based on the prophesies of a Doctor (and I can't for the life of me remember his name!) who was an advisor to one of the Kings of England in the 1800s. Makes the story a great deal cooler when it's based on real prophesies made by real people in history imo. It was mentioned by Gabrielle in an interview around E3 I think.

AzaK

Interesting remarks about the story and characters as that seems like one of the biggest unknown factors at the moment.

Yeah. I've seen enough of the gameplay to sell me on it from that PoV; I now want to know a bit more about the setting and story.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Yup, the only thing we know about the story is that it's based on the prophesies of a Doctor (and I can't for the life of me remember his name!) who was an advisor to one of the Kings of England in the 1800s. Makes the story a great deal cooler when it's based on real prophesies made by real people in history imo. It was mentioned by Gabrielle in an interview around E3 I think.

John Dee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dee

Shiggy

A blast from the past (2010).

Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space:
v3zepqr.jpg

rab_soucoupe03copyz5q07.jpg

rab_gameloop08p9pf8.jpg

rab_gameloop033grb4.jpg

Killer Freaks from Outer Space:
1fypyk.jpg

2v3qrr.jpg

3v3pcs.jpg

458oor.jpg

Ryoku

Whoah. So wait, Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space (PS360) --> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (PS360) --> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (Wii U) --> ZombiU?

Nibel

Whoah. So wait, Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space (PS360) --> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (PS360) --> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (Wii U) --> ZombiU?

Yup.

Maybe we'll encounter Killer Freaks in ZombiU as easter egg :D

I think we'll end up seeing Freaks later on down the line.

Ubisoft are already talking about a sequel to ZombiU, great stuff. Haven't got a link handy at the mo but they brought it up during an interview a few days ago when asked about the multiplayer only having the one mode. I'd love them to get a patch sorted to have their Zombie Master gameplay online but I guess they don't have the developer resources available to do it given how many U titles they have in the works.

If we do see a sequel I want it set in Paris so that us Brits can get a bit of revenge - too many Brits getting killed in Assassin's Creed 3 and ZombiU for my liking lol ;oP

Looking at all these pictures of the blood spatter hitting your protagonist's weapons and limbs I'm just hoping we're going to get a chance to wash our hands lol.

Bit-Bit

This year is due for another "good" horror game. If ZombiU get's an 8 average, I'll buy it for sure.

But as of right now, I need my money for Pikmin and Assassin's Creed 3.

Helicopter lighting looked quite impressive there - the development team need a lot of credit for taking a lot of pretty simple visuals and making it really feel alive and atmospheric.

Am becoming more hyped for this game with everything they release; usually something worries me but here its looking pretty perfect.

NFreak

Huh, it says the game is being released on November 13th. Sweet. I'm ordering off of Amazon so I'll have the game by the time I pick up the Wii U on the 18th. Cool new trailer. I really liked how the blood covered the AK towards the end.

Foshy

I've already posted this in the Wii U thread some days ago, but I just saw this topic and figured you guys might be more interested in this.

I've been at a gaming expo last weekend and could play a bit of Zombi U there. I've wrote my impressions of it on my blog, here's an extract:

(I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry if there are some grammatical errors)
[...]

I waited for it to be my turn, and an employee nicely introduced me to the mechanics of the game. After telling me how to walk, aim and shoot (you know, I have played videogames before...) he showed me some of the more interesting stuff. When you hold R, the game goes into scanning mode and you can look on the GamePad screen to unveil some secrets in the area. Also, on the GamePad there's a map of your surroundings (which also shows you the position of the zombies, I personally thought that made the game less scary) and your backpack. When you open your backpack, the game doesn't pause and you're vulnerable, so pay attention.

So, after getting familiar with the basic controls and equipped with a shotgun and a molotov cocktail I went through a manhole which led to some Palace (probably the Buckingham Palace, as the game's set in London?). The analog sticks on the GamePad felt a bit odd at first (not quite sure how explain, a bit "stiff") but I got used to it pretty quickly. After walking to some hallways I noticed on the map that I was approaching my first zombie, but before that, I found another backpack on the floor. When looking into it I didn't find much that was of value, as it was basically the same stuff I already had. Thinking back, it was probably the backpack of the guy who played before me and died.

Alright, so I got to the first zombie. Actually, there were 2. It took quite a few shotguns to their bodies for them to drop, I thought they'd die faster. Also, the first reloading situation was quite awkward because I instinctively reached for the buttons above the right stick, while the Wii U GamePad has them located under it. Oops. Didn't matter though, I didn't get hurt. So I went on and the Zombies behind me got up again, but now there were three. One of them was called something like "Player", which was obviously the body of the guy who played before me and died. I didn't link that info to the backpack when I was playing though.

3 Zombies, good situation to use the molotov cocktail. I guess I should just select it and press ZR...wait, why aren't you doing anything? Before the Zombies got to close the employee kindly informed me that I had to press ZL and ZR to throw it. Thanks for that tip. I managed to light the zombies on fire before they could attack me, so everything went good for now. A few shots and 2 of them dropped again, but I was out of ammo to kill the last one. I tried some melee attacks but he didn't seem to go down, so I just said fuck it and ran away through a hallway towards the next room. In there, there was a code on the wall which consisted of three numbers and there was also some device to enter the code just beside that, so I entered those 3 numbers on the touchscreen...and I needed a fourth one. Well, now that's a tricky situtation, I have to look for a clue in a small room with a burning, aggressive zombie while having no ammo in my shotgun.

Needless to say, my pathetic melee attacks were useless. He grabbed me, bit my face and I died. The demo ended there for me, leaving a pretty good impression. I'm not really into FPS and I don't know if I will buy Zombi U, but either way, it was a good showcase of the Wii U's GamePad. It's not exactly mindblowing graphically, but it looks like an upper-level PS360 game and the Wii U is certainly (hopefully) capable of more.

As I walked out of the stand, I wondered about how the encounter of the next guy playing with my dead character may turn out. You know, together, in that small room, while the poor guy is frantically looking for some clue for the code.
Full article, in case anyone wants to read about other games.

The frame rate in the video seems sub 30 fps

Don't see any evidence of this myself, look at the sniper section - seems to be running pretty smoothly along with the later shooting sections.

Third person looks a bit janky; but its not the optimised view and the motion control in there too.

Certainly not looking well under 30 and no frame drops.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
From what I played, the framerate seemed very stable with no noticable drops, anyway. Not super smooth 60 fps but pretty sure that it's at 30.

In single player it was already stable (30fps) in the E3 build I've played (while multiplyare had some problems)

BTW; great game imho. can't wait.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I quite liked the music near the end of the video.
Looks like I'm warming up to this game a bit.

BlueMagic

Didn't they mention that Killer freaks from outer space would still come out in the future? I swear to god I heard that in E3.

Top Bottom