• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombie Studios reveals "Daylight", an Unreal Engine 4 game

RoKKeR

Link to article.

Just revealed at the DICE summit, Daylight is a "randomly generated" horror game built on Unreal Engine 4. This is the first 3rd party UE4 game to be announced.

Daylight is a horror game featuring a procedurally-generated environment. With only the light of a cell phone to guide them, players will navigate the halls of a dark building as a woman who’s just woken up. Every experience will be different as rooms are randomly generated, and players will only learn about the game’s story via clues they discover as they explore.

"You’re essentially a rat in a cage, but the cage is an asylum and it’s scary as hell. You need to find your way out, and each time you do it it’s completely different."

daylight002jpg-756db3.jpg

daylight_011.jpg

daylight_007.0_cinema_1920.0.jpg

daylight_008.jpg

Daylight is coming to Steam sometime this year, and will be priced under $20.

StuBurns

Banned
This is the first third party UE4 game announced right? Pretty strange, I imagine there was some gag order on them.

pargonta

"At DICE, IGN had a chance to speak with Zombie creative director and studio head Jared Gerritzen as well as Jessica Chobot, who wrote the game"

uh

edit: they do put in this disclaimer:
"Disclaimer: Jessica Chobot is an industry personality who hosts The Weekly 'Wood, Strategize and Mix’d Reviews for IGN and works independently as a voice actor and television host for G4, Microsoft, and more. Jessica does not write about games for IGN and will not be involved in our coverage of Daylight."

good for them

but it looks pretty sweet. love the realistic setting and ordinary setup (cellphone, no guns/combat)

Katori

First UE4 game to release confirmed? I'd imagine Fortnite will be delayed to hell. This gen's RoboBIitz.

Also it's not surprising that Epic let Zombie take a crack at it (relatively) early, those Blacklight games have performed gangbusters and their new TPS looks pretty fun.

Interesting. This is the studio that made the Saw video games. I only played the first one and it was a surprisingly good adaptation of that IP into game form, and nailed the atmosphere and art direction.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Where is this studio located anyway? I remember seeing a job opening a while ago at a studio in Poland, where they specifically asked for UE4 skills/experience.

KissVibes

Banned
Hi.

Really excited this got announced.

Is this an improved upon version of the technology that was going to be used in Rouge Warrior? Why let Jessica Chobot write this instead of keeping those duties in-house? Did you guys approach her or was it the other way around? Is this something done to simply increase exposure for the game?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Can't wait to start seeing more games on newer/upgraded engines and next gen games in general.

Hi.

We are in Downtown Seattle.

We have staff from Saw, Condemned, and FEAR working on it.

Hi! Your game looks pretty neat.

I don't suppose you can comment on the rumor that the lighting in ue4 (Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination shown in the ue4 tech demo ) has been changed/axed?

An 'everything from the ue4 tech demo is in the UDK we use' would be really reassuring...

why is that ghost coming out of a mushroom sitting on a chair?

Looks interesting, I hope you can pull off the procedurally-generated environment.

Dmented

Banned
Hi.

You game devs suck, get to play with so much cool shit while we wait. :(

Sounds damn good though, great price too.

Hi.

Do me a favor: Put some guns in the game, and tell whoever worked on F.E.A.R. to "Do that again." They'll know what I'm talking about.

Looking forward to hearing more about Daylight :D

Mobius1

Between this and the hi-res screenshot thread, can we expect all next-gen games to look like they went through Instagram?

"At DICE, IGN had a chance to speak with Zombie creative director and studio head Jared Gerritzen as well as Jessica Chobot, who wrote the game"

uh

edit: they do put in this disclaimer:
"Disclaimer: Jessica Chobot is an industry personality who hosts The Weekly 'Wood, Strategize and Mix’d Reviews for IGN and works independently as a voice actor and television host for G4, Microsoft, and more. Jessica does not write about games for IGN and will not be involved in our coverage of Daylight."

good for them

but it looks pretty sweet. love the realistic setting and ordinary setup (cellphone, no guns/combat)

Yes, those things go together. hnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg

Looks amazing, all these horror games and steam deals are really tempting me to look into building a decent gaming PC.

The horror genre, especially free to play games built on unity, is really booming on PC right now. Another great looking title is Obscure by ex UBI and Naughty Dog devs.

Definitely sounds really interesting, especially the procedural part.

But horror is well, too horrifying for me, so I think I might have to skip it. Definitely will be something I'm interested in general, though.

Top Bottom