• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombies? Space? Games you can't stand anymore

What's your less preferred "theme"?

• Total voters

Plantoid

People have different tastes, and that's ok, for me it's zombies...
Don't get me wrong I love zombies, but I feel that the market is oversaturated with zombies and I've seen it all, I want fresh things...

Horizon zero down comes to mind when I think something fresh...

Edit: genres are another thing, that's why I didn't put cinematic games or souls like, a zombie game can be a FPS, soulslike, side scroller.. you get it.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Soulslike
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Zombies done right is different….COD zombies for example is pinnacle zombie games for me. (Treyarch specifically)

I’m done with “movie like” games and long cut scenes. If a cut scene is too long I skip through it to get back to the action. Especially if the story is heavy on the melodrama. I guess that theme would be…..idk intentionally try to evoke emotion games?

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Where are all these souls-like games ppl are playing that is oversaturated? Any souls-like games released this year? I know of one called Grime but even that would be a stretch. Stop being ridiculous. Souls-like is still a rare/niche market.

I was thinking maybe Zombies, but if a new Dead Rising game came out, I would buy it immediately. So I guess I'm ok with all of these.

nkarafo

"Retro pixel art" games that look nothing like retro pixel art games and their developers who weren't alive during the CRT era to know pixels weren't as blocky or defined in console games after the Atari 2600.

Also, cinematic games that try to look like movies and take themselves too seriously.

Star-Lord

Battle royale, for sure. PUBG and Fortnite were great when they came out because the idea was a fresh one. Now it’s over-saturated.

MDSLKTR

I was pretty burned out westerns after RDR2 and Desperados 3. Same with Norse mythologies after GoW and Hellblade. Moderation is key.

There's no greater crystalisation of everything that I'm not interested in, than the Big In Japan sale on PSN. Obviously there's the odd RE or Onimusha or something thrown in there, but if it's some fantastical looking winged anime teens with swords in 'TRiALs Of_; nEw_ Metatr0niX - The Vast Skies Beneath: ex3 Ver. 2.177798' or some other repugnantly named shite, I will avoid it like the fucking plague.

I generally despise any MP shooter game type that involves more than 12 people at a time. I'm still waiting for MW4 on that old engine, for fuck's sake.

Or the hide and seek horror that Amnesia, Outlast and their ilk gave us. Village massively nosedived for me once House Beneviento revealed its hand (though I hated most of what followed in that game for different reasons).

Anything related to WW or WW2. Boring as fuck.

• There is never enough Zombie games, crazy talk.

• There is never enough sci-fi games, crazy talk.

• There is never enough games based on mythology, as a matter of fact I wish there were more.
  • There is never enough games Battle Royale games either. Just because you suck at them, doesn't mean they are bad, although the are some shitty ones. I am just sick of seeing Warzone, Apex Legends and Fortnite everywhere. We need more Triple A Battle Royale games more than ever before. Fuck it, bring on the Last of us Battle Royale, Gears of War Battle Royale, Halo Battle Royale, I want it all.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
walking simulators, battle royals, dating sims, military shooters, first person parkour games, arena shooters, button mashers, clickers, card games, turn based games, cell shaded games, time gated games and probably a bunch of others i'm forgetting right now ...

Mabdia

Open world games. Every game nowadays has to be a 1000 hours with an sterile world that you will do a lot of time doing nothing.

I just want my 10 hours games back!

Also, how about we have less games as a service?

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Zombies and maybe survival games broadly (not like Resident Evil but stuff like Rust or The Forest) burnt me out pretty hard.

I'm also over Journey wannabes. Like aggressively indie games with sparse visuals will you run around empty spaces and listen to ambient music.

MiguelItUp

• Battle Royales (I used to despise them as a whole, but realized I wouldn't mind them if there was more innovation and unique changes. Instead they're all VERY, very similar. The couple I personally enjoyed to SOME degree were Spellbreak and Bloodhunt.)
  • Open world (The idea of them is still really cool in my mind, but again, so many just borrow a lot of the same mechanics from one another. Therefore the experiences all share a lot of the same mechanics.)
  • Modern military shooter (Self-explanatory. Why not more futuristic takes? Or maybe even weird what if scenarios?)

S0ULZB0URNE

Where are all these souls-like games ppl are playing that is oversaturated? Any souls-like games released this year? I know of one called Grime but even that would be a stretch. Stop being ridiculous. Souls-like is still a rare/niche market.
He edited the question.
It initially said preferred.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Military FPS games.
I'd largely agree, except I've had an itching for a tense, realistic single-player military FPS. Six Days in Fallujah looks like it might scratch.

I'm not too into fantasies set in the modern day, but ultimately I'm up for any sorta setting. I just want good game.
Zombies are sick, love 'em, but I'm pretty tired of comedic zombie games. It's a tired idea.

Fbh

Zombies for sure. I'll still play the new entries in established franchises like RE, but whenever a new IP gets announced and it turns out to be about zombies (or any form of "infected") it's an instant buzzkill.

I'm also slightly tired of the generic European inspired medieval fantasy. So many fantnasy RPG's, specially western RPGs, go for this and it often feels like I'm just playing slightly different versions of the same world.
I'd love to see more big western fantasy games go for more unique worlds like the ones in Chrono Trigger/cross, Skies of Arcadia, Gravity Rush, Jade Empire, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.

Top Bottom