• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zork is full of [verified] lies

Aeana

DIMDh0BUMAA5I_m.jpg

Apparently the prompt that you were carrying too many items was a random chance, and you could just try again.

https://twitter.com/icculus/status/901568322021593088

Wow really? Could this have been changed in later releases? I swear if I had too many things it would stay that way no matter what I tried. I'll have to check again it's been quite a few years since I played it last I may be misremembering.

The text adventure game, Zork. I'm not sure what other context I can provide.

This line of text would be a good place to start honestly.

It took me a few moments to remember what Zork was since it came out when I was little and I never spent any time on it. There are a lot of users here younger than me.

Metal-Geo

The button-smash fight in Samurai Showdown is also randomized. Games have been lying to us for decades.

Though I find this one in particular hilariously clever. Who'd try to pick up an item again after being told there's no room?

Crayon

The button-smash fight in Samurai Showdown is also randomized. Games have been lying to us for decades.

I FUCKIN KNEW IT!!!
Fuck.

Any more dirty laundry to air this morning? Maybe the monster rancher cd generated monsters where random?

KarmaCow

Is there any reason to do this beyond being an asshole? Even as a placeholder thing they forgot remove, it seems like a shitty way to test weight limit message.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I FUCKIN KNEW IT!!!
Fuck.

Any more dirty laundry to air this morning? Maybe the monster rancher cd generated monsters where random?

Diablo 3 item property value rolls are the result of a single stored seed value for the item, put through a pseudorandom function based on the property type (critical hit chance, attack speed, whatever). As a result, there isn't necessarily any seed value in the number space that results in max values for all rolls, and the hunt for a perfect copy of a given item isn't necessarily achievable.

Fortunately they added the mystic which allows rerolling an affix type+value using a second stored seed, and recently primal ancient items which have max values for their rolls.

- dug into save editing on PS3 a while ago

Glowsquid

In Super Mario Bros. 3, the idea you can get different items in the Toad Houses by picking one of the three chests is an illusion as what item you get is only decided by the game after you open a chest.

Tizoc

Next you'll be telling me that the mashing minigame in SamSho 1 randomly chose the winner regardless of who mashed the most.

Frozone

I just picked up this entire series because it's one of the games that led me to where I am today.

However, that isn't entirely true. If you got too many items that put your weight > 100, then you'd always get the too much weight message. But yea, I guess any total weight under 100 would get you this message. The real question would be how much did each item weigh, and how often would you get this message if your total weight WAS under 100? I'm playing Zork 1 now and have several items in my inventory and never got this message yet with very few items (i.e. sword, lantern, etc..) that seemed unreasonable.

low-G

How'd its random function work?

I feel like we're making assumptions based on popular modern languages...

Sonicbug

I remember carrying a shit ton of stuff in the game and never being told it was too much. I do remember not being able to pick up the coffin because it was too heavy.

Hmm. Maybe there was a level of luck to it.

Top Bottom