• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zuckerberg: "Quest 2 Is On Track To Be The First Mainstream VR Headset”

Wonko_C

Quest 2 “is on track to be the first mainstream virtual reality headset,” Zuckerberg said during the call. “Facebook has done more than any other company to help virtual reality reach mainstream.”

As is typical, Facebook didn’t provide any specific figures for how many Quest headsets it sold. However, the company’s revenue in its non-advertising “other” category grew in the last three months of 2020 from $346 million in the same period of 2019 to $885 million in 2020. Oculus Quest 2 launched in October with a lighter, more powerful and less expensive follow up to the 2019 first edition of the headset. Dozens of developers with software available in the Quest store are believed to have seen revenues above $1 million selling software for the all-in-one devices.

Fuz

Banned
df7283d8409b49a2ac43db68ff1bfbb6--top-entrepreneurs-facts-of-life.jpg

perkelson

As someone who just bought one and will be delivered tomorrow.

- $300 for standalone and PC headset delivering experience in top3 best headsets.
- Only 500 grams and very small. Meaning you can play on your PC for hours and take it with you say train or plane
- no fucking around, you take it out of the box and it works. No base stations, no cable management anything.
- build in speakers and mic (media-core though)
- 2k per eye, higher than Velve index which is $1000 rivaling Reverb G2
- enough resolution to finally play comfortable games, watch movies, browse web etc.
- 2h battery with battery strap 6-7h when standalone
- PC VR without cable via streaming and it works brilliantly.
- controlers are so efficient that it takes MONTHS to discharge them
- ability to play android games and use android apps
- XR2 CPU allows for amazing emulation experience and Dolphin Emulator has build in 3D mode.
- finger tracking that works well and controlers which are imho the best controlers right now

It is basically the best headset right now at price point everyone want VR to be $300. It has enough resolution to finally say goodbye to low res gaming on VR. I don't really care about motion gaming but i will use it mostly to play normal AAA games like GTA5, Witcher 3 and Monster Hunter World via VorpX software.

Last edited:
It's weird. I never had a Facebook account. Or Myspace or anything like that. Completely against it.

But then I bought a Quest 2 and I signed up for Facebook ... and I don't regret it. I don't have to USE my FB account.

Happy to report that the Quest 2 has surpassed my expectations. It's amazing what this little thing can do. I've been using it every day since I got it. I can definitely see this going mainstream and the Quest 3 is going to be HUGE!

The Quest 2 really does represent a threshold for VR. Oculus/Facebook have done an excellent job of identifying and eliminating the barriers that kept people from getting into VR.

1. Expensive headsets
2. Needing to plug that expensive headset into an even more expensive PC
3. Needing to be physically tethered to that PC
4. Literally needing to set up base stations for tracking means you need to devote an entire room to VR.
5. VR tends to make newcomers sick at first and it scares many away. What I can say is that the Oculus software is fantastic. The experience of using this device is so easy and fun. It's very welcoming and not intimidating at all.

I see those as the main barriers to VR and the Quest 2 has done a fantastic job removing them.

1.It's not expensive and has a really high resolution display.
2. It really doesn't need to be attached to a PC and it will still provide MANY worthwhile gaming and non gaming experience and functionality.
3. If you choose to you can connect this to your gaming P which makes it even better, and with the MAGIC of Virtual Desktop you can do it completely witlessly. And it works amazingly well!
4. Inside Out tracking - Oculus has obviously cracked this as it works PERFECTLY. Almost like magic how extremely precise it is. You do not need to setup a room just for VR. It makes enjoying VR so much easier.
5. VR sickness. Well, VR still can make you sick at first. It takes some time to get your VR legs;

If you haven't done so yet, it's time to take a close look at everything the Quest 2 offers. You won't be disappointed. In fact you're gonna love it.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
After years of PCVR and the faff that can be it’s amazing just grabbing it, putting it on and gaming within seconds.

I can't go back to playing flat screen games. It lacks any immersion.

Last edited:
If you have no idea about the Quest 2 just take a look at this tour. The experience of just putting it on and using it is so nice.

I mean did you know that the resolution of the display is high enough now that you can comfortably use virtual displays?

Check 4:48 and you'll see what I mean.

Other headsets in the past were complicated and fussy to get working. Endless troubleshooting and tweaking. You had to already be computer savvy to stand a chance. Anyone can use a Quest 2.

Fuz

Banned

- $300 for standalone and PC headset delivering experience in top3 best headsets.
- Only 500 grams and very small. Meaning you can play on your PC for hours and take it with you say train or plane
- no fucking around, you take it out of the box and it works. No base stations, no cable management anything.
- enough resolution to finally play comfortable games, watch movies, browse web etc.
- XR2 CPU allows for amazing emulation experience and Dolphin Emulator has build in 3D mode.
- finger tracking that works well and controlers which are imho the best controlers right now

It is basically the best headset right now at price point everyone want VR to be $300. It has enough resolution to finally say goodbye to low res gaming on VR. I don't really care about motion gaming but i will use it mostly to play normal AAA games like GTA5, Witcher 3 and Monster Hunter World via VorpX software.
Then for some preposterous reason your facebook account gets banned...

Romulus

It's an incredible device and has helped solidify VRs future. The technology has reached the point of no return. Unlike 3dtv or other failures, it has found a large niche that works that could reach mainstream easily now.

Crazy part is, quest 1 and 2 is just the beginning. It's only going to get smaller/cheaper/better

been curious how this looks without a pc in comparison to a PSvr? equal or better.

Quest 2 has a higher resolution display - though not even 2x higher in either axis, it still makes a very marked difference. However, just like on psvr, most games render at lower resolution than the native display resolution. In fact, I'd say they're pretty much same resolution and kinda blurry feel - yes, flatties new to VR should understand that even an almost 4K display won't feel as crisp as a 4K TV, because those lenses zoom up the images and pixels. You almost can't see display pixels anymore on Quest 2, but they're there on psvr

but otoh, Quest 2 is powered by a state-of-the-art mobile chip while psvr is powered by PS4. Quest 2 graphics look like Xbox 360 games at best, while psvr is playing RE7 or Hitman with some downgraded textures and screen resolution, but still all the polygonal punch, lighting and shading you expect from PS4 flat games.

but believe me: immersion is way more immediately impressive in VR than graphics. It's what makes Superhot such a standout title even with PS2 graphics

I love both psvr and Quest, they kind of complement each other: one has great games, the other has great tracking, controls, resolution. For now, I'm still favoring psvr, because larger library with real great games, I don't mind somewhat wonky controls and tracking in the way - but most do.

perkelson

Also this needs to be shown to everyone. All Betsheda games will get pretty perfect motion controls shortly. Done by modders but this is super interesting:

er what... Tell me more. I didn’t know you could do this.

Quest 2 runs on android and via SideQuest you can just load any android app including emulators. XR2 CPU quest 2 uses is upgraded version of Snapdragon 865 which runs Samsung Galaxy S20 top of the line chip that allows you to even emulate PS2/Wii games without issues.
Basically any emulator beside PS3/Xbox360 will run full speed as long as emulator itself doesn't have issues with game.

Personally when it comes to emulators i can't wait to try Dolphin since it has native SBS 3D that works perfectly with Vr headsets and Citra since 3DS had native 3D mode for many games.

Moreover there are some android apps that want to emulate the whole thing including experience itself:

Then for some preposterous reason your facebook account gets banned...

Not really a problem for me since i stopped using facebook like 5 years ago. Now it has only my name and everything is locked only to my friends list and i never respond or talk to anyone.

Last edited:

Unknown?

how much data can they steal from me while I'm swearing and laughing while playing?
If you're a normal user that isn't very technical in networking then they get your location and any site you visit that has FB integration like sharing or liking, they will know a lot of your habits. Any visitors you have at your house and use your WiFi, they will know who your friends are. If your friends have FB on their devices then they have their call logs and text info in your interactions bit that's a bit offtopic.

If you're a normal user that isn't very technical in networking then they get your location and any site you visit that has FB integration like sharing or liking, they will know a lot of your habits. Any visitors you have at your house and use your WiFi, they will know who your friends are. If your friends have FB on their devices then they have their call logs and text info in your interactions bit that's a bit offtopic.

They have, Google has through Android, Amazon and Microsoft through their apps, my ISPs have etc

if you want privacy, turn off that network go live in the wild

Moochi

The Quest 2 is awesome. I am amazed that it came out of FB. The high pricing of games and low battery life are my only issues with it. But there's sidequest, and after market headset bands with battery packs.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
So buying Oculus means you've done the most for VR, hmm. I'd say Palmer Luckey and Valve did far more. FB have in fact ruined it in many ways and many of us won't touch their devices for obvious reasons. They've thrown a lot of money at it, I'll give them that, money that was made from stealing peoples data and other corrupt activities for sure, but still!

TriSuit666

Banned

Latest Patreon builds of yuzu has added a vr stereo mode.

Andodalf

Banned
So buying Oculus means you've done the most for VR, hmm. I'd say Palmer Luckey and Valve did far more. FB have in fact ruined it in many ways and many of us won't touch their devices for obvious reasons. They've thrown a lot of money at it, I'll give them that, money that was made from stealing peoples data and other corrupt activities for sure, but still!

TBF making an all in one as cheap as the Quest 2 is huge for VR. I don't want to get one due to the FB tie, but I'm kinda glad the option exists.

pr0cs

I want one, spent too much money at xmas.

VR is amazing when done right, feels like going back to the stone age when switching from VR to flat-screen gaming after a while.

Don't really care about Facebook, don't use my account at all, at least Facebook is doing something good with that endless investment dollars, most companies would sell the Quest for a lot more money.

BabyYoda

Banned
TBF making an all in one as cheap as the Quest 2 is huge for VR. I don't want to get one due to the FB tie, but I'm kinda glad the option exists.
Yeah they got to scale and the Quest 2 is a decent product, how they got their is very questionable though and I like my soul thankyouverymuch!

TheAssist

Great Hardware I'm sure. Fuck Facebook though. Not buying it because they force you make a fb account just to use it.
I do like VR and I want it to become more successful, but I'll wait for Valve, or Samsung or someone else to deliver a similar product with less bs attached to it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was a VR naysayer before I got the Quest 2. I see it as the first mass-market VR headset. Tethered VR is non-starter for most people, especially if it requires a "decent" PC.

The Quest 2 is like Wii 2.0. Instant, active fun with friends and family.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I don't have quest, and I don't trust FB with my data, so I don't want one. but i did do enough VR reading today to hook up the PSVR again and play some Squadrons!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

A fair assessment 👍

Only problem, it not a true 2 in 1 vr headset, pc side uses usb, so it has to compress the video from pc, which adds letancy and compression artifacts. They really need to fix this in quest 3. Plus all games are small and cheap indie games.

Plus u need a fackbook account, so fuck that.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I'm thinking about picking up a Quest 2. I had the Rift-S and I returned it - I didn't like it. Too heavy, too cumbersome, tethered, just kind of annoying and janky.

I play mostly seated, because I'm a lazy prick.

Do I need the 256gb version, or will the 64gb suffice if I'm going to be doing a lot of PC VR over Virtual Desktop?

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've been using my kid's quest 2 over the last week and I have to say this is the first time I've really looked at VR as something that might have legs. The no wires, the optional controller free navigation, the integrated experience ... it just feels like a bit of a leap. It needs another generation of advancements in my opinion, it needs to get a bit smaller and lighter while increasing battery life and graphics performance. But it's starting to get pretty damn good.

Also appreciate that you can use the Oculus Link cable to connect to PC and play your PCVR library. Some of my Steam games came with a VR version, like SW Squadrons, so it's nice to be able to use this same device for them.

On a total geek out perspective, I tried that Vader Immortal, and the first time I fired up the lightsaber and just looked down at it in my virtual hand, that was a great moment. Childhood dream right there.

Man ... what is this stuff going to be like 10, 20 years from now ?

Last edited:
Only problem, it not a true 2 in 1 vr headset, pc side uses usb, so it has to compress the video from pc, which adds letancy and compression artifacts. They really need to fix this in quest 3. Plus all games are small and cheap indie games.

Plus u need a fackbook account, so fuck that.

It's possible that you're talking about something that was an issue at some point but isn't anymore. I'd be interested in seeing actual numbers regarding link cable latency. All VR headsets have latency of some kind. But just because it can be measured doesn't mean anything if it's below the threshold of human ability to detect.

My experience using the link cable is that it is smooth perfection. There is zero detectable latency and zero visible compression.

Maybe this was not always the case?

On the wireless side, it is true that there is currently no native/official wireless solution. But if you have a decent router and you set it up properly, Virtual Desktop works perfectly. You can get the latency down to around 30ms and with the right bitrate I don't notice ANY compression artifacts.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
On the wireless side, it is true that there is currently no native/official wireless solution. But if you have a decent router and you set it up properly, Virtual Desktop works perfectly. You can get the latency down to around 30ms and with the right bitrate I don't notice ANY compression artifacts.

Is Virtual Desktop difficult to setup?

Apple like "Hold my beer"

I will probably purchase one of them when build my PC. DDR5 can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
No lies detected, Quest 2 is really the first device that checks all the boxes.
  • Under $300, all-in, no additional hardware needed.
  • Delivers a robust 6DOF roomscale VR experience
  • Quick and easy set up
  • Strong developer support
  • Also competitive on the enthusiast VR market.
We've seen plenty of devices that do some of those things, but I think you really need all of them to take a device mainstream, something that average Joe can use at a price he'll pay, but that isn't just a watered down entry level experience that will be cut off from everything VR has built so far. It's really an a great product all around.

Top Bottom