• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zuckerberg: "Quest 2 Is On Track To Be The First Mainstream VR Headset”

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
If you value your freedom, stay away from Facebook/Quest. Facebook is working on some ReadyPlayerOne experience rip-off in which they will have full insight on your interactions and bigger control to shape your preferences and ideas. They’ll get you with the “possibilities” but in the end you’ll feel the handcuffs.

Wait for Apple AR, or stick to Valve’s.

Reactions: Fuz

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is Virtual Desktop difficult to setup?
Not difficult but there is a fair few steps to it but there are great YouTube guides that take you through the process and you only have to do it once.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hope a competitor comes out with a similar device someday. I'm not comfortable tying my Facebook profile to a VR device.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
If you value your freedom, stay away from Facebook/Quest. Facebook is working on some ReadyPlayerOne experience rip-off in which they will have full insight on your interactions and bigger control to shape your preferences and ideas. They’ll get you with the “possibilities” but in the end you’ll feel the handcuffs.
What are you talking about?

godhandiscen

Could you translate it into non-gibberish?
Facebook as a platform is moving toward AR/VR, that is the strategy they are investing the most on atm. It will yield higher engagement and zero privacy restrictions (they own the devices this time). Quest is just the start of their vision.

If they can actually create a Ready Player One type experience, great, sign me up.

It's not going to be some indie dev with no resources that creates something like that. It's definitely going to be a huge company.

And if you were to engage in a Ready Player One type experience, why on Earth would you expect privacy? Like going to an amusement park and complaining that you don't have any privacy lol.

lefty1117

Gold Member
If they can actually create a Ready Player One type experience, great, sign me up.

It's not going to be some indie dev with no resources that creates something like that. It's definitely going to be a huge company.

And if you were to engage in a Ready Player One type experience, why on Earth would you expect privacy? Like going to an amusement park and complaining that you don't have any privacy lol.

Yes I think a lot of people don't realize that the horse has already left the barn when it comes to privacy. I think at this point as a society we should be focusing on proper regulation and accountability for how our data is used.

godhandiscen

Apple has a similar vision and they are not going to share your data with third parties afaik. Google is also working on AR, but I don’t know anything about their strategy. I don’t know of anybody at Microsoft, but I assume they must have a counter since the projects of all other three giants are open secrets here in Silicon Valley.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

I have over 100 or so games on the Oculus Rift S. The thought of having to purchase Quest 2 versions sticks in my throat. And they are downgraded at that. I guess I could get a Link cable but I may as well game on my Rift S if I am to be tethered by a cable and there won't be any graphic compromises. I'm still thinking the Index will be my next VR set.

Last edited:
Apple has a similar vision and they are not going to share your data with third parties afaik. Google is also working on AR, but I don’t know anything about their strategy. I don’t know of anybody at Microsoft, but I assume they must have a counter since the projects of all other three giants are open secrets here in Silicon Valley.
I just don't believe that there is ANY privacy to be had if you choose to engage with any of the companies listed.

And what have those other companies actually DONE in VR so far?

Microsoft - they've worked mostly n AR with Hololens
Google - They've got Google cardboard and Tilt Brush. I think they also did a GearVR type thing called Daydream. Put your phone in a cheapo shell.
Apple - We've been hearing for years about some secret VR/AR headset but we've seen nothing so far. They have done work on AR for iPhones.

Honestly don't care about AR all that much but for VR there's really no comparison. Facebook/Oculus are substantially ahead of everyone else. The closest possible competitor who might do something surprising is Valve.

Oculus have set a new bar with the Quest 2 and they will be very difficult to compete with going forward. I'm worried of a near monopoly. Kind of like DJI drones.

I have over 100 or so games on the Oculus Rift S. The thought of having to purchase Quest 2 versions sticks in my throat. And they are downgraded at that. I guess I could get a Link cable but I may as well game on my Rift S if I am to be tethered by a cable and there won't be any graphic compromises. I'm still thinking the Index will be my next VR set.

Another option would be Virtual Desktop. You could play ALL of your Rift S, Steam games and any future Quest games - wirelessly. And I can't stress just how much of a gamechanger wireless VR is.

Also, cross-buy is a thing. It's possible that many of your Rift S games ( assuming you bought them on the Oculus Store ) you will now have access to the native Quest 2 versions too.

Check the list....

Barakov

I've avoided Facebook my entire life and this is a even better reason to continue doing so.

Last edited:

Greirat

Imagine still believing you have some sort of privacy on the internet.
AR isn't just on the internet, Facebook is positioning itself to have cameras tracking everything you do, real or virtual. The advertising opportunity is huge. They spent most of their VR/AR conference last year talking excitedly about their spy glasses that record and upload video continuously:

FNuv5bE.jpg

Never made one.
I understand. What I mean is, I get that someone with an active Facebook account might be hesitant to link it with a VR headset. But someone like you, with no FB account. If you made one ( for the Quest ) and then just never used it. Didn't add any friends, make any posts or even add a profile picture. You don't really have anything to lose in this scenario and FB isn't really learning anything about you except for the games in your library.

If you are worried about FB knowing things about you, you could take the opportunity to feed them disinformation.

I was like you, never used FB. Never made an account but then I did, for the Quest 2 and then something very creepy happened..

Just after I signed up, FB presented me with a long list of "People you may know", many of them I didn't, but many of them, near and at the top of the list - I did. Couldn't help but wonder how the fuck they knew that.

My guess is that ALL the big tech companies share/sell info. Probably even your ISP and other places I haven't even thought of yet. Maybe your friends phone came in contact with your Wifi at home. Someone somewhere knows this shit and has obviously shared it.

My point is, even if you NEVER made a FB account before, they somehow know a lot about you.

Last edited:

Barakov

I understand. What I mean is, I get that someone with an active Facebook account might be hesitant to link it with a VR headset. But someone like you, with no FB account. If you made one ( for the Quest ) and then just never used it. Didn't add any friends, make any posts or even add a profile picture. You don't really have anything to lose in this scenario and FB isn't really learning anything about you except for the games in your library.

If you are worried about FB knowing things about you, you could take the opportunity to feed them disinformation.
Fair enough.

godhandiscen

Imagine still believing you have some sort of privacy on the internet.

Of course there are layers of privacy. I made a career out of building ad systems, and if there were no layers of privacy, we wouldn’t have to come up with so many machine learning techniques to “infer” an individual in one site is the same individual in another site. Even the government is limited thanks to these layers of privacy, with the patriot’s act, all they can see are are individuals receiving and sending data to a host, but cannot see the nature of this encrypted data unless the host is compromised.

Also, Apple is the only company that treats privacy as a first class citizen in the design of their products. Tracking people on iOS is a bitch and most techniques are illegal now.

Wonko_C

How does it restrict your freedom? I've always heard these things about facebook but all I ever get are vague explanations.

mxbison

I haven't tried the Quest 2 but I doubt it's that much better than Quest 1. Which means we are imo still one or two generations from mainstream VR.

It still has to be lot smaller, lighter and the hand tracking has to work so well that controllers are completely optional.

Also believe the huge breakthrough will happen with AR not VR. People wearing glasses on the street while seeing social media, map of the city, shop offers etc.
That will also benefit VR and help push it towards mainstream.

mxbison

Agree.

I have huge respect for people fighting against governments and giant corporations, but I'm not one of them.

I hope I can just upload my brain data to Google or Facebook by the time I'm 80.

I've been hearing a lot of good about Oculus Quest 2 that at this point I'm very intrigued.

Personally never bought into VR after trying out a friend's PSVR, which was extremely clunky and just felt not well developed, or perhaps still too early for the tech. From all I've read about OQ2, it really seems like it has solved a lot of the issues that plagues VR, to the point that I want to give it a try. Once I've finished building my latest PC, I'll be grabbing this set to try our some PC VR games. Pretty sure there're probably some gems out there right now and I can't wait to give it a try.

great tech, fucking lame library. Facebook school of game design is Farmville, don't forget. It's a social media company and the kind of gaming it envisions for VR is social experiences: cards, ping-pong, social hubs, paintball in space etc

if VR becomes mainstream under their rule, that's the kind of gaming VR is to become associated with: social minigames, not the likes of Alyx or RE7

do something, Valve and Sony!

tbh, social minigaming seems to be the rule in flatgaming as well nowadays, so we are all fucked

Wonko_C

great tech, fucking lame library. Facebook school of game design is Farmville, don't forget. It's a social media company and the kind of gaming it envisions for VR is social experiences: cards, ping-pong, social hubs, paintball in space etc

if VR becomes mainstream under their rule, that's the kind of gaming VR is to become associated with: social minigames, not the likes of Alyx or RE7

tbh, social minigaming seems to be the rule in flatgaming as well nowadays, so we are all fucked
Quest isn't powerful enough for big games you know that. Facebook does big AAA games, they're just on PC.

Not sure your fears are justified.

Feel like Sony doesn't have anything to do with this. We are still YEARS away from a PSVR2 and unless it's completely different it'll be exclusively for PS5. Completely closed off.

But the direction Oculus is going with the Quest is completely different ... and smarter. It's not closed off and doesn't only benefit Oculus. Sure, they have their own official store but I'm not locked into only buying/playing games from the Oculus Store.

The Quest 2 game library is VAST.

For example, I bought HL:Alyx, Boneworks,, DIRT 2 and Doom 3 from STEAM and I play them on my Quest 2. This openness is part of what makes the Quest 2 appealing.

Last edited:
Quest isn't powerful enough for big games you know that. Facebook does big AAA games, they're just on PC.

I'm not asking for AAA games with state-of-the-art graphics, I'm asking for good, full games instead of the usual short VR demo or minigame that Quest excels at - I'm being a bit unfair though because the few good worthwhile indie games on Quest I have mostly played already on psvr long ago.

VR indie fans and devs often come up with that BS excuse and I always point out to them that Doom 1 was: 1) a great game with great challenge, replayability and terrific level design, 2) made by a very indie team

indies devs today are just way more lazy because easy tools make them that way. And still I hold that FB favors a certain kind of gaming.

Xenon

As much as I like my Quest, the required Facebook integration is a deal killer. At least I have a few more years to decide.

Wonko_C

I'm not asking for AAA games with state-of-the-art graphics, I'm asking for good, full games instead of the usual short VR demo or minigame that Quest excels at - I'm being a bit unfair though because the few good worthwhile indie games on Quest I have mostly played already on psvr long ago.

VR indie fans and devs often come up with that BS excuse and I always point out to them that Doom 1 was: 1) a great game with great challenge, replayability and terrific level design, 2) made by a very indie team

indies devs today are just way more lazy because easy tools make them that way. And still I hold that FB favors a certain kind of gaming.
True FB's endgame goes beyond gaming, they want to replace mobile phones with VR and AR, so in the end it will be the third party devs that will provide the gaming stuff.

And I see what you mean, I was wrong, it's still possible to do meaty games on the Quest, like Saints and Sinners.

Thanks to Quest 2 breaking sales records like no other headset devs will soon have to step up their game, I bet on that.

Last edited:
Thanks to Quest 2 breaking sales records like no other headset devs will soon have to step up their game, I bet on that.

I often compare Quest to Wii: same casual audiences, same appeal of minigames. I'd say same graphics too, but I'd be cynical: XR2 is actually state-of-the-art mobile chip, while Wii was a recycled GC.

either way, Wii was megapopular, but devs and big games never really came - it was too limited. And casual audiences are too casual to care, they soon abandoned it for the next gimmick: phone games

I see some of them returned for Quest. Let's hope they stay, huh?

perkelson

I don't want to spoil your fun but Oculus has more proper AAA titles when it comes to VR than Sony and some top ones like Asgards Wrath. They have like 5-6 studios working full time on their VR games atm and they recently bought for example guys who made beat saber. Insomniac did pretty great game for them and they work on next one for them.

Imho ATM only Oculus takes seriously VR from start when it comes to software. Velve just did so recently with Alyx and Sony dropped the ball after their initial surge with PSVR.

supernova8

Banned
If you have no idea about the Quest 2 just take a look at this tour. The experience of just putting it on and using it is so nice.

I mean did you know that the resolution of the display is high enough now that you can comfortably use virtual displays?

Check 4:48 and you'll see what I mean.

Other headsets in the past were complicated and fussy to get working. Endless troubleshooting and tweaking. You had to already be computer savvy to stand a chance. Anyone can use a Quest 2.

I feel really bad saying it but I just cannot stand the way he talks. I know he's not a native English speaker and it's not his fault but his voice is just so grating.

Romulus

Only problem, it not a true 2 in 1 vr headset, pc side uses usb, so it has to compress the video from pc, which adds letancy and compression artifacts. They really need to fix this in quest 3. Plus all games are small and cheap indie games.

Plus u need a fackbook account, so fuck that.

Never heard this before. Not only is the wireless good, but you can play PC games with a single wire if you don't have good internet. Its effectively a pcvr headset at that point anytime you want it to be. Definitely a 2 in 1 device.

Last edited:

Darak

I don't use Facebook, so in my case having a Facebook account in order to use the Quest is no different compared to having an Apple account to use an iPhone or a Sony account to use my Playstation. The concerns about losing access to your hardware and digital purchases on an account ban are valid, and I'd be in favor of regulations to prevent that kind of abuse, but I don't think those concerns should stop at Facebook. I have the same concerns with Valve being able to delete your Steam account, for example.

Other than that, the hardware is fantastic and solves a lot of problems I had with VR. It's light, relatively cheap, and needs no cables. Virtual Desktop is able to stream VR content from your PC wirelessy, and playing something like Alyx with no cables attached is eye-opening. In fact, Virtual Desktop is so good it made me change my mind about the future of cloud gaming (it works using similar principles, as it sends a video stream encoded in your PC to your headset, and the final result is very playable and crisp, to the point it's virtually indistinguishable from native; doing the same thing from a remote server adds latency to the mix, but not much).

The Quest fixes many of the problems I have with VR. The resolution is good enough (you can use a 1080p screen in VR at a reasonable distance with no perceived details lost), the price is good enough, it requires no PC (but you can use one if you have it, to play better version of games, or PCVR-exclusive top tier games), and it requires no cables.

The only thing missing from the VR camp at this moment IMHO is more AAA experiences. I've been spoiled by Alyx and I want more of that :)

D.Final

Banned
Never heard this before. Not only is the wireless good, but you can play PC games with a single wire if you don't have good internet. Its effectively a pcvr headset at that point anytime you want it to be. Definitely a 2 in 1 device.
The challenge is that

G-Bus

Banned
Can this run half-life alyx or any of the more known VR games?

I had never even considered one of these until now. Only experience with VR was a 10 minute demo at EB games with a Sony VR set. Played some space game and was very unimpressed. Mostly around resolution and IQ.

NullZ3r0

Banned

And if they scan your room and find a MAGA hat on your dresser, they'll report you to the FBI to be put into their domestic terrorism database. Don't further enable Zuckercuck. Stay away from this evil company.

Top Bottom