• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune HD is official

Mindlog

drakesfortune said:
Looks nice. WTF do they mean by HD audio? 24 bit 192KHz sound quality? Or CD quality? If it's 24bit 192KHz they sure as shit better have a 2 terabyte drive in there. If it's not 24bit 192Khz, with the ability to deliver music in that native quality from the masters, then calling it HD is bunk. And what the hell is HD radio anyway? Most likely it's just more BS HD nonsense to dilute the meaning of the acronym.

Also I think it's awesome that it's got screws instead of some BS like the ipod where changing the battery can often condemn your ipod to death.

If the get XBLA games working on it, I'd be in. I highly doubt that's happening though. However going forward they could require games to support zune. Again unlikely though. Hopefully they can open up the community stuff to this service, whatever it is.

HD Radio is HD Radio.

gcubed said:
not that i can see, i guess the only reason the announcement is in gaming is because the Zune marketplace is going to be avail to xbox live users

So there is stilla chance they are saving that Xune multimedia digital device at E3? Or maybe this is a front for the real awesome?

Yeah I like it screws and all. I was thinking of getting a Zune for a while now. I love my iPod but wanted to try the zune out. If it starts getting an "app" like system implemented I will get this instead of an iTouch.

androvsky

This is getting interesting.

If it's got a cellular data connection (with reasonably priced plans), then I get to try and decide if I hate Apple or Microsoft less for my next portable device. If it's just wifi, they shouldn't have bothered.

Or hope the PSP Go! has cellular. ^_^;

Tobor

Looks like a decent enough catch up to what Apple's doing. MS has now officially zigged, let's see if Apple zags.

gcubed

androvsky said:

If it's got a cellular data connection (with reasonably priced plans), then I get to try and decide if I hate Apple or Microsoft less for my next portable device. If it's just wifi, they shouldn't have bothered.

i wouldnt hold my breath on that one, or the zune with cellular, unless its going to be sold as a phone also, you're talking market suicide introducing a player at the cost it would be with 3Gish capabilities.

I do kinda like the screws though, and i think the actual casing looks hot, need to see the software

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'll definitely be replacing my Zune 80 with one of these. I absolutely love the Zune, both hardware and software. I would have never though I'd say that - but I really think Zune is the best thing MS has done in a long time. Make this thing as fast as a PSP and lets get some games going!

Rhindle

They seem to be indicating that you'll be able to buy/rent content and access it from either the Zune or a 360. That would be a major selling point - if you could start watching a rented movie at home - then pack up you Zune and watch the rest of it on move.

But it still seems a bit fuzzy on that point.

The design - eh, not sure I like it. Might look better in something other than the bling-bling gold plate finish.

Eteric Rice

The question is, can it play games?

I have an Ipod, buying another MP3 player would be redundant. But if it's a game system...

Rhindle

Eteric Rice said:
The question is, can it play games?

I have an Ipod, buying another MP3 player would be redundant. But if it's a game system...
I can't see them including a multitouch interface and not supporting games.

Not bad looking at all, I'll be more interested when I hear the price. Maybe now Microsoft will finally get around to fully supporting community games on the device like they hinted at a while back, instead of having to compile and shoot the games over to the device manually.

sprocket

Banned
androvsky said:

yeah me too.. or if there is a new ZUNE HD with a phone. I love my iphine but thing has fallen apart in record time.

Vyer

rezuth said:
No specs confirmed yet as far as I can see.

3.3-inch, 480 x 272 OLED capacitive touchscreen display, built-in HD Radio receiver, HD output (utilizing a new dock -- not on-board)
full multitouch device
IE-based, custom browser

Maybe not everything, but that's a good start.

41VEAo4-xLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

well time for me to upgrade!

sprocket said:
yeah me too.. or if there is a new ZUNE HD with a phone. I love my iphine but thing has fallen apart in record time.

That would be interesting, but Microsoft has said that their focus as far as cellular devices are concerned will be more on the software, refining and improving Windows Mobile on existing devices. Ballmer stated earlier this year that there are no plans for a Zune Phone, at least not in a hardware device marketed by them.

Tobor

Rhindle said:
They seem to be indicating that you'll be able to buy/rent content and access it from either the Zune or a 360. That would be a major selling point - if you could start watching a rented movie at home - then pack up you Zune and watch the rest of it on move.

But it still seems a bit fuzzy on that point.

The design - eh, not sure I like it. Might look better in something other than the bling-bling gold plate finish.

I can't see any way they wouldn't include this functionality. They're trying to catch up to Apple, and the iPhone/Touch has been able to do this for a couple of years.

Troidal

rezuth said:
Oh fuck off! What the fuck is the reason for not going global? I honestly cannot see why they would limit their own market.

I know huh? I'd have considered this version of Zune with its sexy HD output, but now it all just seems pointless to me. It looks MUCH better than its previous models though, I'll give them that.

mujun

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm shocked as shit Australia NEVER gets access to these services.

All most people fucking DO in this country is download fucking movies and games
mostly illegally
so you'd think they'd be in a hurry to give us Video Marketplace on 360 and PS3.

I'm pretty sure the iTunes store does well down here.

too isolated and to few ppl for sure.

Quasar

rezuth said:
Oh fuck off! What the fuck is the reason for not going global? I honestly cannot see why they would limit their own market.

And I guess that means the Zune Marketplace on X-Box won't get to Australia. Not that I'm surprised, pretty much any of the stuff that makes XBL interesting (video Marketplace, Community Games, Netflix, live games like 1v100) isn't/won't available here. The way its going Australians ought to get a discount on the gold price.

Sean

Banned
Microsoft is two years late to the party as usual. Not sure if I like the design, those screws on the back look tacky as hell.

I'm mostly interested in the 360 integration - I wonder if this will mean they'll finally deliver on their promise of "Live Anywhere".

Quasar

mujun said:
too isolated and to few ppl for sure.

That makes no sense to me as far as downloadable content goes. In fact downloadable stuff makes more sense to a more spread out population.

CamHostage

Hey, does anybody know if Zune can do DLNA? I was shopping for a stereo recently and was shocked that there still aren't good radios that would synch my music collection with my media server. The thing sits there taking up tons of shelf space and yet my pocket MP3 player has more processing power for actual media to play on it. Very frustrating, it would be awesome if I could get a media player that could WiFi into my media collection easily.

Rhindle

Quasar said:
That makes no sense to me as far as downloadable content goes. In fact downloadable stuff makes more sense to a more spread out population.
It's a licensing issue. Film libraries are licensed on a territory-by-territory basis. Unless you have agreements in place with all content providers in a given territory, you can't launch there. Different studios and networks will cut different deals with services in various countries.

I'm actually amazed at how good that looks. I opened the thread ready to scoff at whatever shitty looking wannabe they'd designed... but I'm seriously surprised.

pr0cs

I was interested until no Canada.
I'll stick with my Sansa+rockbox for now.

If they released it here, made it easy to get songs on/off the device (without using shitty Itunes-like software), had a great SDK to write your own apps for then I'd be seriously interested.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
the 480x270 res might have to do with staying with HD 16x9 aspect ratio.

What I don't like about device is wasting so much real state around the actual display.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Blu_LED said:
lol @ screws

But also, doesn't something have to display at least a 720p image to be called "HD"? There is no way that screen is spitting out a 720p image.

EDIT: Ahh "HD" Audio. Figures.

Gaogaogao said:
you dont put HD in the name if your product's lcd isnt at least 1280x720, damnit.

Actually, it can output at 720p. It is powered by Nvidia's Tegra chip, check it out on youtube.

Pimpbaa

This is still going to have it's own marketplace in canada right? Just not able to access the zune marketplace from the 360.

Spasm

Gaogaogao said:
you dont put HD in the name if your product's lcd isnt at least 1280x720, damnit.
Luckily, it doesn't have one.

But seriously, lower resolution display than an iPhone? That OLED better be all kinds of sex.

Hmmm...just got my 80 gig Zune like a year and a half ago...still very very happy with it. It's the first MP3 player I've ever had. Not sure if I'm ready to jump in for another one yet. Gonna need to see the price.

I'm guessing there is no chance this will have any kind of internet support? THAT would blow me away, and would damn near force me to buy.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Spasm said:

But seriously, lower resolution display than an iPhone? That OLED better be all kinds of sex.
like I said, this could be for keeping 16x19 aspect ratio.

Kibbles

Marble Blast Ultra... on mah Zune. NAO. Hopefully it's cheaper than a iPod Touch. Wifi internet is a must.

Gaogaogao

Spasm said:

I would buy the fuck out of it if the lcd was just a little smaller than the vaio p. I guess Ill leave that to sony.

Liara T'Soni said:
I'm guessing there is no chance this will have any kind of internet support? THAT would blow me away, and would damn near force me to buy.

From the article:
The device will boast an IE-based, customized browser, but little else was said in the way of software.

DiddyBop

That looks really nice, I love the design. All my music is organized in itunes though,and i doubt its compatible with it. if it was i would buy this for sure.

Top Bottom