• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune HD is official

Snowden

Banned
omg rite said:
Fucking awesome.

Zune > iPod. I fully stood by this for a long time. Here's hoping this product pushes me to continue that stand.
Well, it may be the first iteration that doesn't make such a stand seem like a ploy for attention!

squicken

Does this stuff not come to Canada b/c of the "protect our heritage on TV" rules? So bizarre that you could live just across the border and be locked out of so many cool things. It's like Canada is still reeling from the advent of the internet.

I want full zune and xbox marketplace integration. This sounds like a good step towards that. The possibility of downloading TV series on demand over XBL and then taking them on the go would be cool.

It would be cool to integrate the XBLA into this some how to but think it's less likely.

rezuth

DogWelder

rezuth said:
Thats still speculation as it comes from a unknown "source". Untill MS has confirmed that it is indeed Tegra I don't think we should jump to conclusion.
So that person managed to get every other spec right by coincidence? Sometimes it's okay to connect the dots.

rezuth

1cesc said:
So that person managed to get every other spec right by coincidence?
Haha, even if he is right there has been no conformation that it is using Tegra. Making logical guesses is nice but I want some real proof.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
rezuth said:
Haha, even if he is right there has been no conformation that it is using Tegra. Making logical guesses is nice but I want some real proof.
It'll come soon enough, I guess.

Toothpick

Looks nice, I need to upgrade from my little 4 gig.

I figured they would go all out and have a built in camera but its ok. I just hope they get it right the first time..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Despite being a loyal Zune owner since the start (black Zune 30 holla!), I'm now more interested in Android devices, sorry J Allard.

I did, however, get a prototype of my Android/XNA game running on Zune, thanks to Zune packing .NET 2.0 and such. Hopefully, they'll leverage that, as the .NET install base is huge.

The front looks sexy but the back looks ugly. But I'm glad MS is finally uniting their services like Apple and Google. I really doubt mobile IE will be a pleasant experience, though.

I'm really liking the new OLED walkman
sony-x1000-oled-walkman.jpg

dLMN8R

ridley182 said:
I reeeeeeeally doubt this will do any better than the Zune did againts the iPod.
The Zune quickly rose to the #2 spot behind the iPod, surpassing Creative and all other manufacturers.

Only in the fantasy of Apple fanboys did Microsoft ever actually intend to make any dent in iPod sales.

On the contrary, Microsoft planned to get to the #2 spot they got to, selling millions of Zunes in a very short time.

dLMN8R

Tobor said:
This is the first Zune to be even close to what Apple is producing. Until the fall, anyway.
The 4/8GB Zune flash-based players kick the everloving shit out of the iPod Nano. In software, interface, FM, format support, form factor, screen, and more.

Tobor

TheGreatDave said:
The Zune 80 is better than the iPhone and iPod classic in every way.

I appreciate your devotion, but come on, be realistic.

The Classic, sure, I'll give you that.

EDIT: Let's cool the jets fanboys, I'm talking about the iPod Touch/iPhone, you know, the device this new Zune is trying to match feature for feature.

Wrekt

Damn my luck. I just bought one of the Halo 3 Zunes the other day. I got it for cheap though so I may make the upgrade if the xbox live stuff is worth it.

Not a fan of touch screens though. The cheeto dust is too hard to clean off.

If this means that there will be merged game libraries and Xbox Live will become flooded with crappy cellphone and web browser games then no thanks.

Okay, 4 things they better got damn announce at E3:

- There better be a slide out controller pad somewhere in that design

- they better surprise us and announce XBLA support at E3

- and please, please surprise us with Netflix on the go

- Wimax support for future streaming content

Sean

Banned
EternalGamer said:
If this means that there will be merged game libraries and Xbox Live will become flooded with crappy cellphone and web browser games then no thanks.

No, it sounds like they're consolidating the Xbox Live Video Store and Zune Marketplace into one thing. Makes a lot of sense and is something they should've been doing all along.

-PXG-

Revelations said:

If they announce that, I'm soooooooooooooo in.

Tobor said:
I appreciate your devotion, but come on, be realistic.

The Classic, sure, I'll give you that.

EDIT: Let's cool the jets fanboys, I'm talking about the iPod Touch/iPhone, you know, the device this new Zune is trying to match feature for feature.

As an MP3 player, I think the iPhone is awful.

As an everything-the-Zune-doesn't-do device, I love my iPhone.

Revelations said:

It seems pretty obvious that this is just a platform designed so that MS can get in on some of the I-phone market by allowing the developers another platform to dump their games onto.

I doubt this will play any current Live Arcade titles. Rather, the future "I-phone" ports will play on both. Thus the 360 Marketplace will become loaded with crap that is impossible to sort through (like the Iphone store is now) and making gamerscore completely uninteresting.

Tobor

TheGreatDave said:
As an MP3 player, I think the iPhone is awful.

As an everything-the-Zune-doesn't-do device, I love my iPhone.

The market for straight up MP3 players is going to shrink over the long term. You'll always have the cheap throw aways, but the high end will be all about convergence.

That's why I made my original point. This is the first Zune to really get close.

Smokey

LovingSteam said:
Zune Marketplace Comes To Xbox Live
That's right folks, the Zune HD is real, and it's coming this Fall. Microsoft officially announced the next iteration in their Zune line today, making it less of a tripped out pipe dream, and more of a totally tubular reality. The specs, which look exactly like that leak we saw, go like this: 3.3-inch, 480 x 272 OLED capacitive touchscreen display, built-in HD Radio receiver, HD output (utilizing a new dock -- not on-board), and... not much more right now. Microsoft is doing away with the famed squircle in favor a full multitouch device, and they seemed to indicate that some new touch-friendly apps and games would be headed our way, though they were fairly mum when it came to details. The device will boast an IE-based, customized browser, but little else was said in the way of software.

holy shit holy shit!

i am all over this. my 120gb will be sold once I know a little more details. I thought the specs in the Zune HD thread were too good to be true, but fuck.

EternalGamer said:
It seems pretty obvious that this is just a platform designed so that MS can get in on some of the I-phone market by allowing the developers another platform to dump their games onto.

I doubt this will play any current Live Arcade titles. Rather, the future "I-phone" ports will play on both. Thus the 360 Marketplace will become loaded with crap that is impossible to sort through (like the Iphone store is now) and making gamerscore completely uninteresting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

I wonder if the touch screen games could be adapted to work with their silly new "motion dective camera."

Either way--ick. Iphone games on my Xbox 360.

Tobor

EternalGamer said:
I wonder if the touch screen games could be adapted to work with their silly new "motion dective camera."

Either way--ick. Iphone games on my Xbox 360.

Your world must be crumbling around you. MS is going to announce Wii and iPhone style games all in one press conference. :lol

jmd494

The Zune is an AWESOME device (mostly due to the awesomeness that is the Zune pass).

If Microsoft released a phone version compatible with Zune pass AND showed that they were serious about getting app support like Apple, I would be all over this.

Tobor said:
The market for straight up MP3 players is going to shrink over the long term. You'll always have the cheap throw aways, but the high end will be all about convergence.

That's why I made my original point. This is the first Zune to really get close.

I don't like this future. I want my music player to just play music :(

Tobor said:
Your world must be crumbling around you. MS is going to announce Wii and iPhone style games all in one press conference. :lol

Uh, nothing quite so melodramatic. But it certainly might change my attitude in the future when i buy 3rd party software. I might not stop just buying the 360 version by default.

EternalGamer said:

I disagree. If they announce XBLA support at E3. Then that would make this device so fucking popular MSFT wouldnt know what to do with themselves. They could put the same restrictions they have on the current XBLA independent game development model and apply it to a sort of XBLA (GAMES ONLY) store.

Also, I feel there is a reason MSFT didnt fully announce this thing today. W still dont know much about it. I feel theres a reason behind that. I am expecting more from this.

Top Bottom