• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adobe threatens to sue Delta over app icon logo, forcing a change

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh. So that’s why my icon changed.

gYXJ4KC.jpeg

Whatever. 🤷

LordBritish

They named their app after a major airline... I could come up with a better app name in 5 seconds..
Hmm

Xymox
IOTA
LAMBDA

5 seconds up

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Their new design is the worst thing I've ever seen.
I hope they sue Caroline Moore for fraud.
Yeah what is the point. We used Delta because that is the name of our app. We had to change it, so we rotated the top half slightly so now it no longer looks like a Delta and says 'iS'.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

There are many shitty companies out there, Monster is always suing someone, Bethesda is ready to sue for using Scrolls in title, and so on. But yeah, in this case the company that was threatened with the lawsuit should've checked that a much biggger company has almost the same logo.

Last edited:

DrFigs

i thought the story was dumb, but then looking at the logo i get it. there are other ways you can draw the delta symbol without making it look like adobe.

Last edited:

Hudo

Why not just lose the gap in delta? Seems like Adobe would not be able to sue for that.
Probably because that gap symbolizes the enthusiasm, youth and dynamic optimism or some similar bullshit for which the designer charged >$20k.

Case in point: Paul Rand charged NeXT/Steve Jobs apparently $50k for one of the ugliest logos in computing.
(now watch how a horde of armchair design experts will tell me how dare I criticize the great Paul Rand)
But to be fair, Paul Rand also designed the IBM logo, which is iconic.

Cyberpunkd

Oh okay, so Adobe was completely justified in asking them to change it. With the passive aggressive 'summary' in the OP, I thought Adobe was overstepping, but nah, this is pretty blatant. Change the colour and it's the exact same thing.
Except it’s literally the character for Greek letter “Delta”, which is the name of the product and isn’t the name of Adobe…

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I bet Adobe's lawyers ain't got shit on Nintendo's, which is why that never happened.
Not the same.
My guess is Adobe's gripe here was the fact that both of those logos would be in the App Store with very similar treatments.

Delta's been available for a few years now. It's not until they started charting in the App Store in the last month that Adobe decided it was a problem.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Except it’s literally the character for Greek letter “Delta”, which is the name of the product and isn’t the name of Adobe…
Delta as it appears in the Greek alphabet has a closed bottom. This is stylized. A designers interpretation. Had Delta's original logo been the actual Greek Delta character, it would not be a problem.

There other companies named Delta with triangle logos. Some very similar to Adobe's logo. But they're not in the App Store, and they're not software companies, so Adobe doesn't care.

Last edited:

Hudo

Not the same.
My guess is Adobe's gripe here was the fact that both of those logos would be in the App Store with very similar treatments.

Delta's been available for a few years now. It's not until they started charting in the App Store in the last month that Adobe decided it was a problem.
I know. It was a joke.

nikos

They're actually way too similar. That's not a normal Delta, it's more like Lamda with the bottom being open.

I know the Greek alphabet. Refer to my username lol.

Last edited:

SaintALia

It's a STYLISED version of the character for Delta. The character for the Greek letter Delta is just a triangle. Like Bojji said, they should have just used that. There are many different ways to use a stylised version of it, I'm not sure why they'd want to use that version for theirs and expect no pushback(especially for a company as famous as Adobe).

Like, yeah, I'm gonna make a Logo for my apple picking company, and it's a flat apple design right and has a single leaf sticking out, but to show how delicious my apples are, I'm gonna make it so that it has a single bite in it. I'm sure no other company will have issues with that.

Top Bottom